Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #1

Generator runs - no power to coach??

I'm new here, so don't assume that I know.
I need help in determining what is going on with my generator - coach power. Here's the problem: I fired up generator not knowing that I had my camper (1983 Holoday Rambler - Presendential 33) plugged into shore power. Long story short, now my coach does not have power when generator is running. The shore power works fine.

I did reset breakers on generator and the breakers in coach panel box and still nothing.
I also tested voltage output at generator and have 120 volts. But it's not supplying power inside of coach.

I should add that there is an outlet in the shore power (bumper) area and when I plug into that outlet with the generator running,the generator suppies power to coach.

I've done some research here on the forum and it would appear that it is the transfer relay; however, I can't find the transfer relay nor do I know what it looks like. Is the converter and transfer relay the same?
The pictures I pulled up on the net don't look like anything i've seen.

I did trace shore power cord into house coach and to panel box, but I still can't locate or id.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd
rtmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #2

One question where you store the shore power. Cord on mine I have to plug mine into a outlet inside the cord storage area I have no transfer switch
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #3

I assumed that I have a tranfer switch.........
Old 05-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #4

Ok, I went out and started generator and plugged coach power cord into outlet - and power is restored to coach with generator running.......maybe that was the problem, I don't have a transfer switch, man I have so much to learn.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmow View Post
Ok, I went out and started generator and plugged coach power cord into outlet - and power is restored to coach with generator running.......maybe that was the problem, I don't have a transfer switch, man I have so much to learn.
Don't feel too bad. When I first got my Class A, I assumed that the nice little receptical in my compartment wall where the power cord connects to the coach was just to keep the loose end of the cord from flopping around when the vehicle was in motion.

Like you, I had to run the generator and then puzzle why it didn't seem to be powering the coach. Of course I figured it out before I posted on a huge forum for all to see my shame
Old 05-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #6

Yep, that's the way i feel.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #7

Have you figured out the air conditioner arrangement, yet? You can only run one a/c on shore power. There is a lever behind a cabinet door near the floor that selects the front or back a/c. When you are on the generator you can run both.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmow View Post

Same as mine, no transfer switch. The plug is your transfer switch by plugging it into shore power or the outlet which is your generator.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
KIX

RTmow...........no transfer switch means one less thing to ultimately replace. Sometimes you have to look hard for the good side of a problem.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
RTmow...........no transfer switch means one less thing to ultimately replace. Sometimes you have to look hard for the good side of a problem.
It's true actually. When I don't have it plugged into shore power, I just plug it into the generator. No fail, no other item to have to diagnose if there is a power generation issue. And so long as I am consistent in plugging it into the generator when not connected to shore power, I don't have to get out in the rain when I do need to run off the the genny.

Tags
generator, power