Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2008, 05:45 AM   #1

We have an 86 holiday rambler, class A, 30 foot presidental with Genset Emerald I onan...won't start...however it ran fine for the first two years after we bought the unit (we have had it for 3 years).
At one time it would start by giving a swig of gasoline down the spark plug hole...but would quit after a few seconds. I replaced the carb (new one)...still no change. Also, I hotwired the electric fuel pump...it works.

Rather than try to trouble shoot this problem anymore, I will take to the local onan shop (one I can trust, I have used on another rv)....It seems in the long run to remove the generator and take to the shop rather than take the rV...it seems a bit crowded in the gen compartment...and it would probably cost a lot to have the tech remove the generator...I can do it.

I want to sell this RV (we bought a 2002 holiday rambler) but don't won't to sell the 86 HR with the gen not running.

Question:

Does the generator generate its own DC for the coild when turning over to operate the ignition? Is it a coil ignition system or a magneto? Or does the genset need power from the coach or the aux batteries to fire the coil?

HEMI
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2008, 05:45 AM   #2

We have an 86 holiday rambler, class A, 30 foot presidental with Genset Emerald I onan...won't start...however it ran fine for the first two years after we bought the unit (we have had it for 3 years).
At one time it would start by giving a swig of gasoline down the spark plug hole...but would quit after a few seconds. I replaced the carb (new one)...still no change. Also, I hotwired the electric fuel pump...it works.

Rather than try to trouble shoot this problem anymore, I will take to the local onan shop (one I can trust, I have used on another rv)....It seems in the long run to remove the generator and take to the shop rather than take the rV...it seems a bit crowded in the gen compartment...and it would probably cost a lot to have the tech remove the generator...I can do it.

I want to sell this RV (we bought a 2002 holiday rambler) but don't won't to sell the 86 HR with the gen not running.

Question:

Does the generator generate its own DC for the coild when turning over to operate the ignition? Is it a coil ignition system or a magneto? Or does the genset need power from the coach or the aux batteries to fire the coil?

HEMI
Old 01-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #3

I think it requires power from the house batteries (or the starting battery depending on how it's wired). Ours is dead too. I'm thinking of getting a mobile tech for ours. But for now, I don't need a genset. I'm more concerned with trying to keep my toes (and the rest of me) warm.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:59 AM   #4

Lorna,
Last week I removed the gen from the RV (quite a job!) and delivered it to our local onan mechanic. He will diagnose the problem(s); I will get back with you.

Yes, all the onan genset starts withthe coach batteries; the tech also said it gets the 12 volt for the ignition coil from the generator itself.

HEMI
Old 01-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #5

The difficulty in removing the genset is why we haven't done anything with ours. It is installed in such a tight space! David hasn't felt like messing with it and since we live full-time in the Class C, I don't want to move the camper to a repair shop. Ours was running, then it was turned off and we refueled. It wouldn't start back up. Shortly before that we had repllaced a fuse (fuse is good). I suspect the fuel pump as it's not getting any gas... or a cloged line... possibly. The fuel pump is our best guess as it's the most expensive repair.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #6

Lorna, different subject but I thought I would ask because you have a vintage rv.

Under the dash of our 86 holiday rambler is a small blackbox manufactured by Hayden. It has digital readout with a series of buttons which when depressed changes the readout. I was curious about this and started pushing buttons...

Then on further tracing the origin of this device I found that it must be the themostat that controls the cooling fans that cools the transmission fluid.

By any chance of luck, do you have such a device on your rv? And further do you have the manual. The item is from Hayden and carries model number 290.

I am araid I might have upset the thermostat settings by pushing the buttons...and thus altering the temperature that the cooling fans come on, thanks, HEMI
Old 01-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #7

Sorry I can't help you on that. There's not a whole lot under my dash! You might try a internet search for "Hayden model 290"
Old 01-13-2008, 11:04 PM   #8

Thanks and yes I did an internet search on this product....lots on Hayden but nothing on this model. However, I did get the haden mailing address and thus I will send a detailed description, hoping they can find a manual in their archives, HEMI
Old 01-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #9

When (and if) you get it straightened out, please post the info on the Vintage forum so some other poor soul can benefit from your experience.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:44 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Lorna, I must be lucky or something. My generator,[Onan], was on a slide-out and made my work on it real easy for sure. I was able to get access to the head on the back side with it all the way out. I was also lucky in that the local generator repair shop here in Tucson was able to get a manual for my generator. They gave me LOTS of info that wasn't in the book and I was able to get all the parts from them that was needed to redo the unit!! They still have the parts for Onan, Kohler and a few other brands for sure. If you are in the area its Simonsen Generator Service Inc. There phone # is 520-889-9581. If you are not able to get the parts or manuals try them. If you are in the area stop by and they are a friendly bunch and always seemed to know what we were asking them. even when our generator was say 30+ miles away. Sorry about the site info if against the rules but some down this way can't all go to Brazil's. Hope they can help you and gook luck,
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:42 AM   #11

Lorna, that Hayden device under the dash turned out to be an early digital thermometer. I traced down the actual designer, still at Hayden, had a nice discussion with him.

He said no way would or could this device control the electric radiator fans. He told me to trace the fan wires and they should got a small relay. Sure enough he was right.

So that crisis is over...I disconnected the device. Basically it had two small thermister beads, one to sense the air temperature under the hood, the other was taped to the transmission oil line to sense the temperature of the tranny.

Because this Hayden device was hidden under the dash I never looked at.

I only now have to fix the coach furnace; the fan comes on after I turn on the thermostat but the furnace does not lite.....any ideas!

HEMI

PS: For onan genset readers; I removed the generator and took it to the onan shop nearby. Will report later.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:11 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hemi, Did You ever get the furnace fixed??
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:12 AM   #13

Wallaby Dan,

Thanks, ...but new alternator problem, see below.

Yes, got both the generator fixed .... runs like an absolute dream .... and also got the furnance fixed.

The generator needed:

1. New carb
2. New electronic board
3. Some cleanup on the alternator portion

It was a bit pricy to have the generator fixed, but worth it.

On the furnace, I took the furnace to a great RV guy, small repair business...he said the furnace just need a good cleaning especially in the ignition area (where the propane enters the combustion chamber)....it also runs great, also the flame is very quite.

New problem.

Alternator on engine appears not to be charging the engine batter or the coach battery. I removed alternator on Friday and took to a starter-alternator person...he checked it and said the alternator was good. I put it back on the RV, still no charge...12.40 volts on the battery, but should be ~13.5 volts across the battery when the engine is running. I traced the big wire (on alternator) to middle post on isolator in the battery box. Thinking that the problem may be a problem in the isolator I disconnected big alternator wire and then run a wire (no. 8) from the alternator to
the engine battery. Still, no indication that the battery is being charged?

Any ideas? Bad isolator?

One unsolved problem are the two smaller wires coming from the clip on the side of the alternator....I can trace where they go...and one wire is going nowhere. What do these wires have to do with the alternator or charging.

My next step is to take the whole Rv to a local auto electric that also does Rv. I am not getting anywhere on this electrical problem