Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #1

GenSet is up & running... but no power inside!

Hi guys,

Yesterday I was able to get the Genset running and after I mounted it back inside the RV, it run and produced 110 VAC at both leads going inside the camper, but no power inside.

Not sure what is happening here.

The RV is a 1988 Coachmen Catalina.

The Genset is a Onan Model: 4BGE FA 26101 F Serial #: F880129323

I have been talking to some guys at the Onan forums, and they asked me the following:

Quote:
There is likely either a switch to choose between shore power or generator power, alternatively there may be an outlet connected to the generator where you plug the shore power plug into to run on generator power.
Not sure how to answer him, because I have not seem any switch related to that inside the camper. And I thought the control panel was doing the automatic switches between shorepower and Genset.

Here are pictures of my control panel inside the camper:

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

BB

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBear View Post
Not sure what is happening here.

Not sure how to answer him, because I have not seem any switch related to that inside the camper. And I thought the control panel was doing the automatic switches between shorepower and Genset.
lets explore your "shore power" set up.
is there a heavy cord with a plug in one of the compartments that you plug into the shore power pedestals?

assuming so... look in that compartment for an electrical junction box with a largish receptacle that same cord-end can be plugged into.

"normally" that electrical box receptacle will be fed from the generator.

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The power from the genset should go to a automatic transfer (Xfer) switch.
The coil of the Xfer switch should be wired to the shore cable or the genset cable.
You should be able to follow either the shore power cable or the genset cable to the Xfer switch. The output from the Xfer switch goes to the breaker panel.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Have you tried and reset the GFI in your bathroom to see if that may be the problem? I founds that at anytime I lose power in the rig that has most likely been the
problem
Old 08-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPursuit View Post
assuming so... look in that compartment for an electrical junction box with a largish receptacle that same cord-end can be plugged into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
The power from the genset should go to a automatic transfer (Xfer) switch.

Thanks for the help guys. The camper does have the power cord with the heavy-duty 3-prong plug, but i actually have never checked inside the power cord housing for a switch. I have to check it this week for a switch then.

Thanks again!

BB
Old 08-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartvines View Post
Have you tried and reset the GFI in your bathroom to see if that may be the problem? I founds that at anytime I lose power in the rig that has most likely been the
problem

Thanks for the tip, i'll definitely check the gfi (bathroom and maybe kitchen as well?).
Old 08-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #7

In the power cord housing along with the cord the should be a receptacle just a thought=)
Old 08-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #8

Our old RV (an '85) required us to unplug the ground power cord from a receptacle in the power bay and to then plug in the line from the generator. As a retired airplane type, I regard the external supply as "Ground" rather than "Shore", like ex-boaters do!

Our current ('02) RV has a "power control and distribution center" with a time-delay relay that switches between ground power and the generator, so ypu don't have to physically unplug and reconnect (isn't technology wonderful!). It seems to favor the generator, cutting off the ground electrical service once the generator is up to speed.

It's possible that your rig might have the old manual unplug/plug set up. If it has a power control box, you might want to check that it's working. Be VERY careful, as the electrics in there can be fatal. Pop the cover, then plug in ground power. You should see the relay set itself to connect the terminals associated with the ground power cord to the house circuit.

Now, start the generator. After a few seconds (typically 20 to 30) you should see the relay switch over. The relays are usually open frame types and you can actually see them "clunk" across.

If you're still having problems, carefully measure the voltages at the ground power, generator power and the output to the house to see what the situation is.

Once it's clear what's going on, your problem will be a lot easier to figure out.

I've become very familiar with this system in the last few days, as I backed over the power cord and ripped it out of the box. It took the top off the relay as it went. Since the manufacturer of the power switching box has gone out of business, I'm looking at changing the entire box out for one that Camping World sells.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:35 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is what frankdamp is talking about:

OR

/
Old 08-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #10

UPDATES

Hi guys,

I did trace the wires from the GenSet and for my surprise the RV did have the automatic Xfer Switch... sweet!But, that would be too easy, wouldnt it?

The Xfer Switch was actually bypassed... so I re-wired it back to the best of my knowledge, and it works beautifully with one little issue: whenever I run the Genset, it takes some time (30 seconds sometimes) for the Xfer Switch to engage.... But when I connected the landline, power is available inside instantaneously.

Not sure if the Xfer switch is a bit "rusty" or if the issue is the voltage fluctuation from the Genset (it is about 108 - 112V at idle).

Thanks again all for the help!

BB
Old 08-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
That is normal.
The Xfer Switch issupposed to delay 30 seconds so the genset can come up to speed and settle down before the load is put on it.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have an alternate question;
After replacing the volt.reg. and checking the transfer switch, Wolf finally found that power isn't even GETTING to the transfer switch.
Should we go ahead and pull the genset (only way to check the belt).
We are running a Generac...anything more than that...I'm unsure of (age, model, etc)?