RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:15 AM   #15

Thanks. I've got so much to learn about this coach yet, but working on it like I have been, I'm learning each day - I have been focusing on the mechanical stuff though. I also found that the fantastic fan partially works above the toilet. I can manually open it, and then it closed by itself but the motor wouldn't stop running - I think the popup switch needs to be cleaned. The fan that is part of the ducted system, I'm not sure about. This stuff I can figure out I think, with a little research.

I am embarrassed to admit I haven't the slightest idea how to get the fridge to run on LP, how the stove works, how the furnace works (do I even have one?) and even how to use the toilet in this thing. What you guys use everyday and don't even think about, I haven't touched yet. That's what happens when you don't get the manuals with the coach. Thank goodness for the internet, this site is a god send.
One day at a time.

'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2016, 06:44 PM   #16

Today I mailed out the leveler solenoids to HWH. They say it's 2 weeks repair plus shipping time.
I did some boat chores in the AM (two boats - 1 is fine and 1 almost done rebuilding - if you've got time on your hands check this rebuild out - I really went overboard, so to speak (RickK's 170 rebuild )

Then I went to work on the coach a little and my focus was on the dash air, which isn't blowing cold. Need to close in on the problem.
Coincidentally I had my annual AC service at the house today so I was questioning my service tech and he did say that car/rv ac is different than their trade and may require different tools but he did give me some things to look at.
1) is there any oil on the bottom of the condenser coil (indicates a leak in the condenser) - none found, the bottom fins are a little rough but the bottom pipe looks good
2) find one of the fill caps on the AC lines, remove the cap and use something to press the ball in a little bit - I did and there was a blast of gas from the pipe. Shows the lines are good. Now this may show the compressor bad? Gonna need another person at the back to tell me if it clicks when I turn on the AC. I am not an AC tech so please straighten me out if I'm off here please. Maybe the compressor is bad? Any troubleshooting tips to narrow it down?

I also see that there is a fan on the front of the condenser which I don't know what triggers it to come on. I tried switching the AC controls and it didn't do anything. I disconnected the connector and applied 12v and the fan didn't spin, so I guess I need a new one. I now realize I didn't physically try to move the fan blades to see if it is locked up....

One day at a time.

'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Today I mailed out the leveler solenoids to HWH. They say it's 2 weeks repair plus shipping time.
I did some boat chores in the AM (two boats - 1 is fine and 1 almost done rebuilding - if you've got time on your hands check this rebuild out - I really went overboard, so to speak (RickK's 170 rebuild )

Then I went to work on the coach a little and my focus was on the dash air, which isn't blowing cold. Need to close in on the problem.
Coincidentally I had my annual AC service at the house today so I was questioning my service tech and he did say that car/rv ac is different than their trade and may require different tools but he did give me some things to look at.
1) is there any oil on the bottom of the condenser coil (indicates a leak in the condenser) - none found, the bottom fins are a little rough but the bottom pipe looks good
2) find one of the fill caps on the AC lines, remove the cap and use something to press the ball in a little bit - I did and there was a blast of gas from the pipe. Shows the lines are good. Now this may show the compressor bad? Gonna need another person at the back to tell me if it clicks when I turn on the AC. I am not an AC tech so please straighten me out if I'm off here please. Maybe the compressor is bad? Any troubleshooting tips to narrow it down?

I also see that there is a fan on the front of the condenser which I don't know what triggers it to come on. I tried switching the AC controls and it didn't do anything. I disconnected the connector and applied 12v and the fan didn't spin, so I guess I need a new one. I now realize I didn't physically try to move the fan blades to see if it is locked up....

One day at a time.
I looked at your boat builds, your neighbors must be pretty decent folks to not complain. Thats my kind of neighborhood
Old 12-16-2016, 10:11 AM   #18
DTS

Country Coach Owners Club
Beautiful coach! Some of those bells and whistles are just extraordinary!
1998 Country Coach 40' Intrigue #10544
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:14 AM   #19

Thanks, I just need to figure out how to use them now

Deano - most of the immediate neighbors are rentals, so they can't say much - not a deed restricted neighborhood.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:57 PM   #20

Did you tell us how many miles? Every time I look at that I think of a 94 like yours forsale on CL. Its really clean with 50k miles but, the interior color's are too much and, doesn't have the nice kitchen layout like yours.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:04 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Looks good now!
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
Did you tell us how many miles? Every time I look at that I think of a 94 like yours forsale on CL. Its really clean with 50k miles but, the interior color's are too much and, doesn't have the nice kitchen layout like yours.
Wwweeeellll, that's the million $ question. The speedo shows only 12,7k + miles. CarFax is ok. No maint records offered, as we go through it we see rust on the underside (from IL originally) but not horrible, like it was stored inside for part of it's life (as seller said). Then we check something out that should be really rough based on what we assume, and it's not and we stop and say "you know it may be only that mileage". So to answer your question - I'm not sure. There are things that tell us no, the mileage is wrong, but things that say maybe. If it had 500k miles on it I think there would be evidence of more engine leaks and such - this engine doesn't look like it's been p-washed - there's rust around but being from IL I think that's expected and it doesn't look terrible.
We bought it because what we saw, we liked, what didn't work didn't override what we liked about the the coach and the possibility of her being a queen when restored with pretty minimal investment.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Wwweeeellll, that's the million $ question. The speedo shows only 12,7k + miles. CarFax is ok. No maint records offered, as we go through it we see rust on the underside (from IL originally) but not horrible, like it was stored inside for part of it's life (as seller said). Then we check something out that should be really rough based on what we assume, and it's not and we stop and say "you know it may be only that mileage". So to answer your question - I'm not sure. There are things that tell us no, the mileage is wrong, but things that say maybe. If it had 500k miles on it I think there would be evidence of more engine leaks and such - this engine doesn't look like it's been p-washed - there's rust around but being from IL I think that's expected and it doesn't look terrible.
We bought it because what we saw, we liked, what didn't work didn't override what we liked about the the coach and the possibility of her being a queen when restored with pretty minimal investment.
Oh no, good ole Illinois salt, can't beat it. It could have 2K miles and have rust underneath it up here unfortunately.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:13 PM   #24

LOL
I live in FL, 10 miles from the coast so she is in a salt environment but not a salted road environment.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:12 PM   #25

Went to the coach today and replaced the rusted or missing license plate lights - boy that was tougher than it should have been. The new ones (matched the old)

had only one wire and the old had 2. So I had to figure out a way to ground them as the plate they mount in was not grounded. Figured it out and now have lights.

Next on the agenda was understanding the charger/inverter and if the inverter works. When I was troubleshooting the charging issue I noticed that the inverter on/off switch was set to off.

I started the coach (boy it's nice to have charged chassis batteries) and let the thing run a bit to pump up the airbags. In the meantime I checked the Xantrex panel and it was showing no inverter light and floating charge. I used an AC outlet tester and went to each outlet I could find and they all tested good. Then I shut down the coach, turned on the inverter and then unplugged the shore power. I pressed "on" at the Xantrex panel and saw a momentary green inverter light on the panel - it went back out. I saw "waiting for AC" on the display. I plugged the outlet tester in a plug close by and it was not active. I went to the AC fuse panel and opened and closed all the CBs.
I pressed the "on" button at the Xantrex again and heard a hum or something from the inverter and the light stayed green longer and the outlet went active for a little bit then went off again.
One more time I pressed the on button and heard a slight groan from the inverter and the inverter led went solid, the outlet went active and now I saw "Inverting" on the display :-) I then went around and checked all the outlets and they were all active. I didn't try to load it down with anything, I didn't have anything to plug in and had read that you don't want to run the AirCon or Refrig on the inverter. I did see the rear radio/cassette deck on when I was checking outlets. So I guess that works ;-)

Next was looking at the jacks to see if I can find a label to see what model they were - first one (passenger front) I couldn't read the label except HWH. Went to the rear and the label was nice and clean and easy to read. Took at pic

and called azpete for which springs to order since they were all the old flat end type. The model of the jack is AP9517 (12,000 lb jacks) and the spring needed is R34692. I'll order those next week.
Last thing to check was the fan on the dash AC condenser and see if it was frozen up (I tried using a 12V battery to spin it last week and it wouldn't move) - so I tried to spin it manually and it was hard to move. I was going to remove it and try lubing it but I didn't have the necessary tools to get it off. I'll do it next time.
While I was there I stocked the coach with sewer hoses and hose support. I also looked in the electrical bay to see if I have room for a surge suppressor but it looks like it's slim pick'ns for room

Also spent a minute looking at the wet bay to see what I could do to make it better

One last thing I found and need to figure out what it does (or doesn't control) is this receiver. I sent an email to their tech support help me figure it out
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #26
J.R

1997 newmar

Hi,

Well just bought the sister to yours,about 3 weeks ago,same color and all.
Just starting to rework all the batteries and cables,
I came across yours here ,nice pictures.
I will post some pics soon.

Cheers,JR
J.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 01:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R View Post
Hi,

Well just bought the sister to yours,about 3 weeks ago,same color and all.
Just starting to rework all the batteries and cables,
I came across yours here ,nice pictures.
I will post some pics soon.

Cheers,JR
How cool is that - same year and everything? Small world - can't wait to see her.
We can compare what we find that needs some TLC and how we fix it.
Merry Christmas!
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:06 PM   #28

Discovery of the day:
I have been posting questions about room in the electrical bay, on another forum and talked a little about the bay doors on this coach. The doors that aren't under the slide rise up the side of the coach - you can see one of them open behind Mike in this pic

The inside of the door has all kinds of stuff on it, springs motors, electric locks - all taking up room.

The locking mechanism works but I couldn't figure out what the motor does. I had read something about the doors having a soft close feature but really hadn't had time to look at them. All I know is that they are hard to close.

Today I went to get some tools from the coach that I needed to work on my boat. I opened the door and something caught my eye that I hadn't seen before

I thought maybe it was a light but I pressed it and I heard motor and things moving on the other side of the door. Seems this is how you use the soft close on the doors. You lower the door close to the side of the coach and press the button - there are "Y" type pieces of steel that rotate and grab a bar at the top and bottom of the door and close it tight and then the motor shuts off. I found that the motor works on all but 1 door. I heard the relay click but no motor. I'll have to tinker with it.

'08 Jeep GC Overland.

Tags
newmar