RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #43

Beautiful coach!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
i just traded my '97 london aire. had mine for 3-4 yrs..same floor plan and was cherry cabinets
Great!! Another source of knowledge - hope you don't mind me picking your brain when needed (or maybe you can follow along and throw out some "Hey don't do it that way" advice when I go left instead of right) I'd really appreciate it.

'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:32 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CV23 View Post
Beautiful coach!
Thanks! I see you're in the same vintage with your MA.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Shore is a pretty RV! Love the color. Keep up the good work!
spinroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:25 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Nice looking coach. I know what it takes to keep these older coaches on the road, and it is definitely a labor of love. We've had a 1984 30' gasser then moved to a 1991 Beaver Contessa and then to our current Dynasty which is now 15 years old and all have had their challenges keeping them in pristine condition, but it sure is worth it cruising down the road.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:39 PM   #48

Thanks guys.
To continue on the leveling valve, I talked some more with Spartan and explained to the tech that I was concerned about the new valve being compatible with the old and the linkages, especially the portion that adds or releases air. So to re-iterate - here is the pic of the old and you can see the black piece that the linkage slides through on the valve

Jeff (at Spartan) sent a pic of the valve kit

I spent time looking in the hardware bag and didn't see how the link would attach to the valve, based on the one above. Jeff wasn't sure either so he went out to the warehouse and got one and put it together and took pics

Now I see how it will attach. I'll order one in the morning. Part# 8295.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #49

no problem.. i did fix a numeber of things but nothing serious, did door cable adjustments and steps and alternator[battery was discharging and looking at it i touched it land it was warm...diode was bad.] slide out quit so did wiring for switch as the new control did not work. ect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Great!! Another source of knowledge - hope you don't mind me picking your brain when needed (or maybe you can follow along and throw out some "Hey don't do it that way" advice when I go left instead of right) I'd really appreciate it.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:47 PM   #50

I bet you loved crawling in the kitchen cabinet to get to the slide controller I'm not looking forward to that - my switch doesn't work so I have to get to the controller to test it. I stopped eating a couple weeks ago so I can squeeze in there in another week or two

"did door cable adjustments " - what were you doing on that? Is that the rod that controls the hook that holds the door open? The mating piece was missing on mine (in the coach side) so I made a mold and made the mate from it with fiberglass and painted it - looks like it's always been there.

On a different note - Do you know where the solar controller is mounted? Did you have to work on your slide?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:29 AM   #51
J.R

Smile 97 London arie

Quote:
Thanks guys.
To continue on the leveling valve, I talked some more with Spartan and explained to the tech that I was concerned about the new valve being compatible with the old and the linkages, especially the portion that adds or releases air. So to re-iterate - here is the pic of the old and you can see the black piece that the linkage slides through on the valve

Jeff (at Spartan) sent a pic of the valve kit

I spent time looking in the hardware bag and didn't see how the link would attach to the valve, based on the one above. Jeff wasn't sure either so he went out to the warehouse and got one and put it together and took pics

Now I see how it will attach. I'll order one in the morning. Part# 8295.
Hi nice to see all your progress ,when I stop shoveling snow maybe I can get some work done.
As for your lever valve where the rubber T part is once you adjust the height you want ,you put a small hose clamp on it so it will not slide around.
But you likely know that already.
I drive truck have fixed a few!
All the best
J.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:59 AM   #52

Thanks for the tip JR. I don't know anything about this, yet. I noticed the hose clamps in the bag but didn't notice any instructions in the bag :-( (They did say there was some instructions in the box that the valve comes in)
I was told I would need to call their Tech Support to get ride height info.
I didn't look at what is at the other end of the linkage on the coach, so I will take a better look and some measurements of the existing linkage before I start. I will take some pics as I work through this and post it here for others.
So JR, if you have more advise, I'd appreciate the help.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:29 PM   #53

my arms are long enough to reachit i went thru door under kitchen and then took drawers out.. wince my new controller didnt work i cut the wires and installed a switch in the flip out door by sink.. and my coach had all electric looking outside doors and had a system that is just dlike a garage door with the springs and couple cables broke so made some new ones and installed
and mine had solar removed...

Quote:
I bet you loved crawling in the kitchen cabinet to get to the slide controller I'm not looking forward to that - my switch doesn't work so I have to get to the controller to test it. I stopped eating a couple weeks ago so I can squeeze in there in another week or two

"did door cable adjustments " - what were you doing on that? Is that the rod that controls the hook that holds the door open? The mating piece was missing on mine (in the coach side) so I made a mold and made the mate from it with fiberglass and painted it - looks like it's always been there.

On a different note - Do you know where the solar controller is mounted? Did you have to work on your slide?
Old 01-23-2017, 07:11 PM   #54

This one also has the electric basement doors - I lubed the heck out them

I didn't realize they were electric but saw all the mechanics on the backside of the doors. I finally found the button in the handle and figured them out - all work but one and I haven't had any spare time to focus on it to see if I can get that one working.
The keyless basement entry on this one doesn't work - I have the fob but nothing happens - installed new batteries but still nothing. I have bigger fish to fry before I worry about that.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:56 PM   #55

Got a day to work on the coach finally
My buddy Mike helped me today and we started with the jacks. I previously had trouble shot the system from the touchpad , through the controller and to the pump. We saw control signal (voltage) at the inputs to the solenoids and when they were in the system the pump came on but nothing happened. I sent the solenoids in for repair and got them back - all 4 only needed new seals and o-rings ($157 total charge) so I figured I was in for trouble.
Today we installed the solenoids and with fingers crossed tried to activate the jacks - again, nothing but pump. We removed the outside hose going to one of the jacks and pressed the button for that jack and nothing came out. Disconnected the supply hose to the Shuttle valve, pressed a jack button - nothing but pump noise. Guess it is my pump Called Paul @ HWH and he agreed. I pulled the pump assy and put it in the back of my truck. I'll see if I can pull it apart tomorrow.
So then we decided to work on the ride height valve that was leaking air. Drove the coach up on ramps in the front and dumped the air (pumped brake as a member hinted to get all the air out - thanks for the tip). Sprayed the bolts down with PB and while we waited for it to work I looked at the passenger side valve, a totally different valve than what I received.

After the PB worked we pulled the old valve and using the parts provided in the kit, tried to set it up like the old. Problem was that the kit didn't have the eye hook looking piece (on the right end of valve), so I took the piece off the old, cleaned it up and re-used it.

We installed it and it didn't work I started thinking about it and Mike was playing with the old to see how the valve worked and we figured out our first attempt had the linkage in the wrong hole - there are 4 holes around the outside. I disconnected the linkage and slowly turned the round piece that the rod went through in the pic by hand and I could hear /feel where in the 360 degrees that the valve opened to let compressed air into the bag and where it let it out - we had the round piece that controlled the valve, 90 degrees out. Ok, so I put the linkage in that hole and we dumped the air and started the engine again and watched - still wasn't working - watched some more and FINALLY the valve started filling the bag and got to the ride height and stopped
We measured the ride height (Spartan instructions said to measure from bolt to bolt on the shocks - easy enough) on both sides and found the driver side at 16 3/8" and the passenger side at 15 3/4". The instructions say to adjust the ride height on the opposite side of the coach to the lower measured side. We were not on level ground so the adjustment had to wait.
We sprayed soapy water on the new valve and not a leak to be found and decided to check the passenger side and sure enough there was a leak on the plug at bottom. We dumped air and removed the plug and found that there was no teflon tape or anything on the plug So we put some tape on it and reinstalled it - no leak now.
The coach is sitting nice and high now without any leaks. I exercised the purge valves on both the front tanks and they worked fine. I still need to spray PB on the aft tank and try to drain it. I'll do that on the next chance I get, ran out of light today.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #56
J.R

1997 London arie

Here are some bits of info that may be helpful,see pics. And as for the leveler jacks mine also had one that would not come up,so after searching for the fill tank found it was about one and a half low on fluid and that the cap which works as a vent was plugged up So washed it out topped up with oil and all works great.
All the best JR

J.R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar