Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2012, 02:31 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Gary
My Onan is located behind my left front wheel and a davenport is above it. If I had your space restrictions I would pull the carpet back and cut a large access hole in the floor to uncover the top of the Onan for maintenance. Fasten a 2" wide metal strip centered on the cut on the removable board to overlap the floor cutout all the way around. The metal strip stays screwed down to the removable board and is held in place again by a few screws around the outer edge. A little sealer would make it airtight and the original Onan compartment heat shield metal would be refastened to the bottom of the floor board permanently before the board is reinstalled.

If your Onan location won't allow this, I would drop the generator before the back plug fouls and screws up a vacation.
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s MotorHoming since 1952
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2012, 05:26 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thats cool a Kill-A-Watt meter I going to get one I've been using a meter but that sounds better, glad you took it down those rats can make a mess and the nest could take away from air for cooling
Old 10-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #17

As a result of all this, I crawled under the MH to take a close look, and also pulled the outer access panel - there is no access port of any sort at the rear of the genset, or any decent way to fabricate one - nor is there any way to access the rear side of the set with it in place.

BUT, what I did find - as near as I can tell - most of the attachments to the genset pivot from the rear, where the set hinges are to allow it to be swung down when a few retaining bolts are removed. One exhaust strap hanger will need to be removed, and a loop retainer that supports the fuel line - and after that, looks like everything stays in place, and simply flexes from the rear as the genset is pivoted down.

The degree the set will then pivot down looks lower than I had earlier estimated - and I think that rear plug WILL be fairly decently accessible. I probably won't be using the MH any more this season, so might not actually do any more to the genset until Spring - before first outing - but you can be sure, I'll install a new set of top quality plugs, and carefully do any other servicing that shows up while I have the set lowered...

AND, for any others in my same predicament, and with anywhere near the same setup, I'll do a thorough show-and-tell thread - pictures and all!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #18

Thankfully in mine, it can be gotten to from the rear hatch for filling/checking oil, fuel lines, filter, etc.. or from the top by removing the bed mattress, removing some screws and lifting the plywood to get at the top of the generator. Perhaps yours is somehow the same? What is over the generator in your MH?
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #19

NOPE - no access to mine other than tipping it down - and from what I can see, no big deal, since it APPEARS that all connections can be left in place, since they all pivot from the rear, where the genset hinges also are - probably not all that more difficult than yours is....

Time will tell - perhaps tomorrow!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #20

OK - a few pics of what I was dealing with - and what was involved in actually getting the Onan Emerald1 4KW genset lowered for servicing the rear of the generator - primarily to change the rear spark plug.

Before lowering the genset, I drained the oil, and after doing the work on the genset, changed the oil filter and refilled with 30wt Chevron Supreme motor oil. While the genset was lowered, I did all needed cleaning and lubing of moving parts, throttle linkage, etc., and also inspected the air cleaner - it was fine.

The whole operation took about an hour and a half, I had to disconnect a single exhaust pipe hanger over on the right side, 1 bolt at front right side of a support panel - and 6 bolts holding the securing straps at the front of the engine - and a single strap retainer holding the fuel line and electrical bundle at the front of the engine compartment..

Once the engine was lowered, the rear spark plug was still not visible, but plenty of room to get back there with a plug socket, and get it removed and replaced - the old plug was just fine - but at least, now I know it's all OK.

I put it all back together after blowing out accumulated dirt and junk, and a thorough cleaning, and after refilling crankcase with fresh oil, fired it up, and with a 50% load on the generator, carefully adjusted carburetor to within about 2 volts change from that 50% load, to no load at all - I'm well satisfied with the results - and the fact that all the associated electrical and fuel lines were arranged to simply drop down with the genset, made the job quite easy.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #21

Congratulations on all the work.

While it was down did you clean the slip rings and check the brushes?

What about the points (if so installed)

IAN.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by imorton View Post
Congratulations on all the work.

While it was down did you clean the slip rings and check the brushes?

What about the points (if so installed)

IAN.
NOPE - just did what was indicated above - engine has always started and run great - both with full, and no load, so I selected the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mode of operation - I only became concerned about the rear spark plug, because a routine check on the front one showed that for some reason, it was heavily built up with crud - but after cleaning and replacing it, and then running the generator under load for a while, that plug was like new still, as was the rear one when I removed it...

The genset only has about 500 hours on it...
Old 11-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #23

Gary,Can't thank you enough for your post on this subject. I've got the same MO as you except mine is an '89. My Onan won't start and I too started by pulling the front plug which looked good. I had temporarily given up at any furher troubleshooting because I couldn't get to anything else on it. With your step by step instructions at lowering it I'll have to get back to work on it soon and maybe have a look at the point's, etc.. Thanks again for all your help.
jhhosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhhosier View Post
Gary,Can't thank you enough for your post on this subject. I've got the same MO as you except mine is an '89. My Onan won't start and I too started by pulling the front plug which looked good. I had temporarily given up at any furher troubleshooting because I couldn't get to anything else on it. With your step by step instructions at lowering it I'll have to get back to work on it soon and maybe have a look at the point's, etc.. Thanks again for all your help.
Glad to be of help - that's what this board and forum is all about!

Tags
onan