Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #1

Does anyone own this MH? I'm looking to purchase one and wondered about reliability and things to look out for. I love the retro design but I don't want to own a lemon that'll break down or need a part every trip. I just realized, this is called the "Royale."

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
gmcmotorhome.com - The GMC Motorhome Source

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=1...6384b3edd27057

Couple of sources for info on these great old motorhomes.

Ken

Old 05-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #3

Thanks Ken, I'll check it out.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #4

This GMC coach forum is the largest and they also keep a registry of VIN's so they could tell you past owners, and if there is any negative history or comments from people who have maybe already checked it out, GMCnet: Welcome to the forum

The GMC has specific problem areas that need to be checked, some forum members will check it out for you, they are hardcore GMC fans.
I really like them too, but I needed something larger.
Manuel
Old 05-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #5

Carolina Campers
I've admired the GMC coaches ever since seeing one used in On The Road with Charles Kuralt. Charlie and his crew used motorhomes for travel, but did their overnights in hotels. A Life On The Road by Charles Kuralt is a great read by the way.
rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelsRV View Post
Does anyone own this MH? I'm looking to purchase one and wondered about reliability and things to look out for. I love the retro design but I don't want to own a lemon that'll break down or need a part every trip. I just realized, this is called the "Royale."
I am a huge fan of these GMC MH's, but you must realize they are over 30 years old, and finding one that has been perfectly maintained and in good condition will be challenging to say the least.

Most MH's over 10 years of age will require more maintenance and repairs then others. This unit is 3 times that age. I can't amagine finding one that does not need any work, but I suppose it is possible.

Owning something this old will be more about passion then reliability.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #7

All great advice, it's raised more questions than I thought I had! Back to the drawing board but thanks for the help.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #8

If you want to see what can be done with a GMC coach take a look at Jim Bounds Co Op in Florida, Cooperative Motor Works (The Co-op)

Anything is possible, slide-outs, extensions, the current land speed record for a motorhome is held by a GMC.
It IS a passion/hobby, there is even a blacklist of GMC owners across the country who will help you if you have problems along your travels.
And they hold their value.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #9

I have owned two GMCs a 23' and a 26' both 1977 models. They are great Motorhomes but the newest model was built in 1978 and that model did not have the 455 ci engine (actually switched in mid 1977 to a 403 ci engine). They were way ahead of their time but need a great deal of work to keep them reliable. As for the "holding value" the GMC market dropped about 4 years ago and has not gone back up, prices dropped from the $20s to $5ks. The GMCs are very light about 11,000lbs with use of fiberglass and aluminum for the bodies. They were front wheel drive with Tandem rears (every trip thru Tolls meant a fight with Toll agents) which enabled very low floors and roomy interiors with a low center of gravity. Rust in the frames have been a problem, due to age but full replacement frames are available but expensive and labor intensive as you can imagine. You either love them or hate them or just become Tired of the work. They are a pleasure to drive if in proper condition.
Robert
Old 05-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
Been there. Done that. Still involved.

My wife and I purchased a 1978 GMC in 2007. I had admired the design and engineering as well as the ride since 1976 when I first drove one. I couldn't afford one then.

I'm now the editor of one of the technical club's newsletter and website (- GMC Eastern States). Take a look at our site. There's a lot of information there.

There are bargains available now compared to a few years ago. One reason is that a lot of owners who have kept their coaches well-maintained are selling because of their age and not the age of the motorhome. There is still life left in the chassis and bodies of these units and several owners have redone the interiors to keep up with the times. Some, are still original on the inside, especially the units upfitted by Coachmen in 1977 and 1978. 23-foot models were more prevalent from '73-'76.

If your serious, jump on the GMCnet, introduce yourself to the list, and then lean back for three dozen responses. ManuelB listed the website for you to get started.

We're happy with our Airstream but are still active with our GMC friends.

bnsonger47 is offline   Reply With Quote