Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #15

Just a different thought, maybe they are parts rigs. The GMC's are pretty unique and based on what owners I know say need lots of work. They really all seem to have most or part of one or more to use for back up. The owners seem to need lots of work done, and are frequent shop hoppers.
UncleRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
It's really pretty amazing the number of RVs just parked and left to decompose. I didn't notice them much before we owned one, but now it seems I see them everywhere.

one day i well try to take a pic there in good shape like they well be put up for seal soon or some thing

they where pulled out of a shop
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Those GMCs in 1975 gave DW and I the itch...could we ever afford that lifestyle; I seem to remember a $32.5K price tag. Took 38 years to finally get there
Wasn't even aware of them until a young family of 4 parked up the way from us at Fairmont RV park in MT this summer. Didn't get a chance to talk to them but the rig looked darn near new. Idaho plates.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Montana vacation 031.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	80855  
Yakimaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #18

I sold my '78 Royale about a month ago. Contrary to what was posted earlier, not many of them require continual work. Of the ~12,000 that were produced from '73-'78, over 9,000 are still roadworthy. Put that number up against any other '70s brand. ~40yr old vehicles do require some work, and updates/upgrades to replace NLA parts. Considering the entire coach framework is aluminum, the upper shell & roof are aluminum, the lower shell and F/R caps are fiberglass (not a luan composite), they can last virtually forever. The big drawback is the GM engineers who thought a Toronado drivetrain designed for a 4000lb car could just be slipped into a 10,000+lb vehicle; so the front wheel bearings are a serious weak point, expensive and difficult to replace. There is probably more parts/upgrade support for these coaches than for any other brand. There is even a 'black list', so if you're traveling and have problems, check the black list and call a local fellow GMC owner, and they'll give you a hand getting back on the road.
They drive and ride much nicer than any Class A MH I've been in. They ride like a Cadillac, especially with the quad-bag rear suspension upgrade mine had, giving it six wheel independent suspension.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #19
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I first saw one at the RV/MH Hall of Fame in Indiana. Ever since, I've been seeing them in CG's. 4 were parked together at an FMCA rally last summer. Classics!

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I see one every-time I go out to a flea market and finally stopped to take a look. (Closed/Out of business Auto Dealership) Been there going on a year. Rear end sitting on the ground,. (Air Bags) Its all there and the interior looks to be in fairly good shape looking thru the windows. That's all I know on it. I wish I had a garage big enough so I could re-store it.
I think they are so neat looking.
Thanks for bring this post back to life.

Happy Holidays, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:36 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
If you go back, they modified one of them as an "Urban Assault Vehicle" in the comedy Stripes, with a couple of the stars from Ghostbusters.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #22

Old 12-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
I always liked the style of these motorhomes. They were so ahead of their time with it and I think they still are even today.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:02 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
The guys up in Bend Or. at Beaver Coach Sales are restoring one of the old GMC motorhomes.I didn't get the whole story why but it is an ongoing project for them.
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:35 PM   #25

They were built not too far from where I worked as an RV tech for quite a while. The 2 things I remember best are that the windshield was curved and very close the the drivers eyes. It needed special optics built into it to prevent distortion in the drivers line of sight. The other thing is, they had a really complex 12v wiring system to operate the leveling system.Thankfully, they were reasonably reliable. Most of the work I ever had to do on them was pretty routine. Of note also, serious RV'ers thought they were too small even back then. Awesome for tailgating though...
Old 12-12-2014, 06:12 AM   #26

I have pictures of many GMC motorhomes in my RV archive site, ViewRVs.com.

ViewRVs.com - GMC Motorhomes

The units have a very loyal following. They are unique with the front wheel drive, air bag leveling, and aerodynamic shape. I have heard they have a very smooth ride driving down the highway. There are several shops around the country that specialize in maintaining and restoring the GMC motorhomes.

They come in 26' and 23' lengths. The 26' length is the most common.

Even though they are smaller and more aerodynamic, they still only get 7-9 mpg. They have an Olds 455 engine.

The front wheel drive allows them to sit lower and have a lower center of gravity.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:26 AM   #27

Regarding sitting lower, I don't remember them as having an entry step. In the "park" position with bags deflated, you didn't need one!
Old 12-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #28

They ride like a Cadillac, and 'float' down the highway. There is no real need for an entry step, although mine had a Ragusa folding step which was very nice.
The interiors are def space challenged. They were not advertised or intended for full-time, or even extended stay camping use. Back in the '70s, road trip vacations were far more prevalent than today. I remember cruising across the country every summer with my parents in our '72 Olds 98 2-door HT; had the 455 and netted 11-12mpg hwy. GM promoted the the motorhomes to replace large cruiser cars for short term vacation use. Makes great sense for the time. Get very close to the same economy (I netted 10-10.5mpg consistently with mine) and have home-like amenities. And no more listening to "I have to go to the bathroom" every 5min from the kids.

Tags
motorhome