Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2015, 06:49 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Good Chassis Repair Places in Central FL ?

We are fulltiming is a 1988 Holiday Rambler built on a P30 chassis with a 454 Big Block engine. She has taking a lot of work to get road ready. We have put 1000 miles on her in this shakedown cruise.

I had 3 top priority problems.

1) Squealing belts. (Which were just replaced in SC 4 weeks ago)
2) Non-functional oil gauge
3) Leaking unknown fluid.

I took the MH to an RV repair place in Eustis, FL. It was not an "all around" good experience. We had made an appointment but the MH sat around till about noon before they looked at it (we were waiting at the facility). They came back and told us:

#1a) Retensioned Belts /1b) Part of the noise was from a loose carburetor - Tightened
#2) Oil gauge bad. So I told the service manager just get me a gauge that works. Stick it on the dashboard with gum if you have to.
#3) Hydro-boost system leaking. $600 for part and 3 hrs labor. Rear main engine seal "appears" to be leaking. $50 part 6 hours labor

Conclusion: 4 1/2 hours later we find out that the oil gauge was NOT bad just a broken wire.

I asked whether the Hydro-boost system was leaking on the power steering side or the brake side. He didn't know.

I know the Hydro-boost unit has several places where it can leak. Rebuild kits are available. I'm not too happy spending another $1000 bucks to replace a rear seal that "appears" to be leaking without another opinion. This place seemed very honest. Just disorganized.

Hence my question. Any honest and thorough places that anyone can recommend in Central Florida?
wajell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Use this site, it will hopefully help you find a place and avoid places that are not good. Please post your review to the site when you are done so others will benefit from your experience.

RV Service Reviews
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:35 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have looked at that site. Problems there are not too many reviews and a lot are very old. Google also has reviews but I was hoping that some one here might have had personal knowledge.

Thanks,
Bill
wajell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #4

Some answers to a similar question here at irv2:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/repai...fl-175867.html

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:16 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajell View Post
We are fulltiming is a 1988 Holiday Rambler built on a P30 chassis with a 454 Big Block engine. She has taking a lot of work to get road ready. We have put 1000 miles on her in this shakedown cruise.

I had 3 top priority problems.

1) Squealing belts. (Which were just replaced in SC 4 weeks ago)
2) Non-functional oil gauge
3) Leaking unknown fluid.

I took the MH to an RV repair place in Eustis, FL. It was not an "all around" good experience. We had made an appointment but the MH sat around till about noon before they looked at it (we were waiting at the facility). They came back and told us:

#1a) Retensioned Belts /1b) Part of the noise was from a loose carburetor - Tightened
#2) Oil gauge bad. So I told the service manager just get me a gauge that works. Stick it on the dashboard with gum if you have to.
#3) Hydro-boost system leaking. $600 for part and 3 hrs labor. Rear main engine seal "appears" to be leaking. $50 part 6 hours labor

Conclusion: 4 1/2 hours later we find out that the oil gauge was NOT bad just a broken wire.

I asked whether the Hydro-boost system was leaking on the power steering side or the brake side. He didn't know.

I know the Hydro-boost unit has several places where it can leak. Rebuild kits are available. I'm not too happy spending another $1000 bucks to replace a rear seal that "appears" to be leaking without another opinion. This place seemed very honest. Just disorganized.

Hence my question. Any honest and thorough places that anyone can recommend in Central Florida?
That Hydroboost is not close to $600 for the part, if they can't tell the difference between brake fluid or p/s fluid, RUN as fast as you can away from there. There is one of the members on here Terry in Fla has a thread on rebuilding a burned up Pusher MH . He has some Crazy Mad Skills and i'm sure he could help you out or direct you to someone who can!
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, repair