Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Good method for repairing a tear in awning?

We've got an 8" tear in the awning fabric just a few inches down from where it connects to the side of the motor home.

The tear was present when we purchased the MH, and it hasn't gotten any worse, but everything I have tried to repair it has failed. And yes, I cleaned and prepped the surfaces carefully

So far, I've purchased 2 types of awning repair tape- one failed within a few days, the other lasted a few weeks.

Some "industrial" tarp repair tape- also failed.

Eternabond- ugh, don't do this.

Part of the difficulty seems to be that the vinyl-covered fabric is now rippled on one side and the two don't really mate up anymore.

My next attempt will be to install brass grommets and lace the 2 sides together- my fear here is that the grommets will just rip out in a gust of wind. I don't know how tough this awning fabric really is.

Any thoughts? I'll eventually replace the fabric entirely, but I hate to do it if a repair will give me back a usable awning.

Life rocks when your house rolls
Senior Chief
& the Cheese Queen

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
Solo Rvers Club
I am definitely going to be following this post. I just got my MH recently and have exactly the same problem. It is torn on the very top where the sun hits it when it is rolled up. The previous owner tried duct tape and some other kind that did not hold. She said wal mart has a good awning tape but I haven gotten to the store yet to check on it.
Hope "we" find a good solution because I also planned on replacing just the awning material "next" year.

2007 four winds hurricane 31H
USN retired in 81
recycled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had a freak gust of wind in Wyoming do the same type of tear in my awning, I first tried duct tape because that was all I could find, then when I got home I found Gorilla Tape.
After researching it I found it's the same tape used by NASCAR to hold the metal parts on a wrecked car so they can finish the race, they call it 200 mile an hour tape. It's been holding my tear for a year now, looks funny because its black, but it works.
Don't pray for a blessing--Pray to be a blessing.
2006 Holiday Rambler Endavor 40 footer
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
I've also heard Gorilla tape may work in some cases.

Can it be sewn? Canvas patch?

eBay - Sewing Leather Sewing Canvas Hand Sewing Sewing Awl Hobby, Similar items search

Sewing Canvas by Hand
Fleetwood Providence 2008 40e
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel 6.0L 2006
Honda CR-V 2006
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
I will be watching this thread too as my awning is supposed to be ripped right where it goes into the top roll when fully extended. I talked to CW and they will take it down and re-install the awning for $208 and I will repair the rip with awning tape myself. Eventually I will replace the fabric, but for now, if I can get it to work for a bit as I tackle other bigger, more important problems first, I'd be happy.
1979 Winnebago Chieftain
1972 Terry Travel-Pak trailer
svdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:58 AM   #6
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Duct Tape is the 200 mph tape.. at least originally.

Mine is ripped about 10" right at the tube starting at the left edge.. The PO used the clear awning repair tape. He did not try to close the awning completely to the tube, instead using the tape to span a 3/4" tapering gap with overlapping pieces from awning to tube on both sides. I believe he went past the tear up by 1 1/2 tape widths and with the same on the tube. ..Doesnt look too bad.. Has been holding really well so far. I believe the key is not trying to pull it completely closed and using tape on both sides, pressing them together at the tear, and going a distance past the tear.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:12 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Well,thanks for the comments. I believe I'm going to try the Gorilla Tape first, since I have some on hand, and if it looks like it will hold, I'll spray it with that Krylon Fusion paint for plastic to cover the black. If not, I'll do the grommets and lace it together.

I agree with you Midniteoyl, about applying the repair tape well past the tear and on both sides- the 2 sides of the tear on mine no longer meet anyway, so the tape does adhere to itself in the middle.
Life rocks when your house rolls
Senior Chief
& the Cheese Queen

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
Go to a marine supply store such as West Marine and get some sail repair tape. The tape will be white or a semi opaque color. As I recall, the tape is about 3 inches wide. Clean above and below the awning along the tear. This is important because you not only want to remove the dirt but any residue from the cleaning solution. Start on the top of the awning and wrap the tape continuously along the top and bottom keeping the tear in the middle of the tape. Next, put two more continuous pieces of tape half lapped over the first piece of tape being sure the edges of the two pieces of tape are butted to each other and not over lapped.
2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
When I got my 78 Chieftain back in 2002 I too had awning tears. I purchased canvas sewing awl and waxed thread and sewed it up. Like sewing sail cloth. Has held up fine since 2002.

Dave in Virginia
1978 Winnebago Chieftain
Dodge M400 - 440-3
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
If this is a vinyl type fabric you have 3 choices. 1) You can sew it with a speedy stitcher as described above, or take it to a tent and awning shop and they can sew it on a heavy sewing machine. 2) If you can find some matching material, like at an industrial tarp/awning/tent shop a patch can be glued on. 3) If you can find a roofer that supplies vinyl roofs for flat or low pitch roofs, they can heat weld a patch on it. The heat patch works the best, we use it all the time in the automatic pool cover business we have. Pool cover fabric is the same stuff....
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:08 AM   #11
National RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
I purchased canvas sewing awl and waxed thread and sewed it up. Like sewing sail cloth. Has held up fine since 2002.

We did the same. One slide topper was loose and flapping in the wind. We bought a Speedy Stitcher and sewed the awing tighter. It wasn't hard, but it sure wasn't speedy! It worked like a charm.

There are youtube.com videos to teach you how to use it, but finding one was the hard part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0053.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	397.9 KB
ID:	17482  
2008 National Pacifica 40D + 2007 Odyssey & 2 Segways
FMCA #F415856 & Thousand Trails Elite
Right, left, straight, or stay....decision of the day
sfrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Insurance - replace the awning?
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #13
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Whatever repair method you use, if you use awning de-flappers, it should keep the problem from happening again.

'98 Gulf Stream Sunsport 325, 7.5L Banks Power Pack, Koni FSD's, Air Bags, ReadyBrute Elite,
2000 Honda Accord

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote