Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2018, 09:10 AM   #1

Google User Spam

Am I the only one getting the “Congratulations Google user” spam window that comes up taking over the screen only on IRV2?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2018, 09:52 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
What operating system and what browser are you using? Have you scanned for viruses? Deleted all cookies? Sounds like a virus, not something iRV2 or Google would install.

I use Mac OS and Google Chrome as a browser, I've never seen anything like that, but I do use Adblock Plus to limit ads on my pages.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:53 AM   #3

Maybe its something to do with being logged in to Google, which I dont.

As for me, nope havent seen it yet.
Apostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:58 AM   #4

I saw that on my Android phone a while ago. I use the app now cause it’s easier to post pics. It’s likely from a sidebar ad.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:24 AM   #5

No. I also run Firefox with Flashblock, Adblock and a Popup blocker.

Technically it would probably not be a virus. The problem could be a browser hijacker if it is trying to send you someplace or gather some data on what you are doing. When you click to clear the popup it is giving permission for more software to run. Old trick.

FWIW I did a Google search on "Congratulations Google user" and got 26 million hits on what is it and how to clear it. Try it and see. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:33 AM   #6

I get a similar window from time to time from someone purporting to be Amazon and that I could be a winner. Have to close down Safari and start back at where I left off. I don’t think it’s just this web site, but I could be mistaken.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:54 AM   #7

I’m not sure which browser you are using, but I would recommend searching for “Congratulations Google user Removal” and tack on the name of your browser at the end.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:17 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
Am I the only one getting the “Congratulations Google user” spam window that comes up taking over the screen only on IRV2?

I started getting it about 10 days ago. I use Safari on my IPad. I’d clear it but it would come back within 15 or so seconds. I downloaded the iRV2app and haven’t had a problem since. I’m not a big fan of the app, so I’ll take the advice from others and google the problem. Hopefully it I’ll solve the problem and I can get back on Safari.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by exgman View Post
I started getting it about 10 days ago. I use Safari on my IPad. I’d clear it but it would come back within 15 or so seconds. I downloaded the iRV2app and haven’t had a problem since. I’m not a big fan of the app, so I’ll take the advice from others and google the problem. Hopefully it I’ll solve the problem and I can get back on Safari.
It’s also only on the IPad Pro and Safari for me. No issue on the IMac. When it comes up I shut down the tablet and then turn it back on later. Irritates the bejeezzuz out of me and believe me, there isn’t much bejeezzuz to begin with....
Old 01-27-2018, 03:01 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
An explanation of this issue on iPhones. https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/...on-your-iphone

Here's a link to how to remove the virus or malware that got into your system. For Windows, Mac OS, and Android. Another link to Apple Communities help.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote