Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:18 AM   #1485

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Goodmorning Gang! Coffee was very good today!

Lynne, Remember to keep the size of the liquids small, and all the sharp items wrapped up and taped shut tight, just for good measure, and make sure they all fit in the checked bag. Do not try to take any liquids of any size on the plane, as they will take them! Wal-Mart sells the no-skid shelf rubber mats for your drawers. And remember the RV queen bed is shorter than regular sheets, but no problem, buy the regular, and just tie a knot in them, learned from watching the Thai nurses make the beds over here! Another trick, if you or your DH hangs off the bed,( his feet ) slide the mattress away from the wall a couple of inch's. Also the pillows that are super flat with all the air sucked out work very well, and will get you home till you get your favorite ones from home! We packed so much stuff from Thailand with us when we came over!
I also inherited the slide out, red handled wiener forks from my parents, and used them often! Enjoy! And I'm sure you had thought of all this stuff, just a reminder! Rail!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 08:50 AM   #1486

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning All;
Going to be another lovely day here. A robin has built a nest in the spruce tree in front of our house. We can see her sitgin on the nest while we are having coffee in bed. We have smarter birds this year as the one who used to attack the window has not done it this year.

Sleeps until May 23: 11

Have a great day.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:50 AM   #1487

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Lynne,
The Rally that we are attending is from Sept 14th trough the 21st We tried to get in the campgrounds earlier, but they were full. We will be staying at the Pine Ridge RV Campground. Oh, and coffee with the pie if it is in the morning, or it is cool out, milk if it is in the evening or it is warm out, and sometimes the whatever if we are sitting around the fire.
Rail,
Good advise, as usual.
Gordon,
You would be surprised at how much stuff you can pack in, if you plan, and use every nook and cranny. Having said that , then you have to take a trip to the scales to find out how much stuff you have to remove to keep at the unit's GVWR. Don't ask how I know this, lol.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #1488

Winnebago Owners Club
Frank - been there, done that, have the sweat shirt. Our 5er has a 18,000 GVWR. We have 'tuned' it at 17,856 without water. We carry a 5 gallon water jug when moving. If we are going boon docking we fill the tank and are over.

I used to work as a project manager on the engineering side for various road, bridge and airport projects. Much of the work involved hauling material over scales. I understand scales (I am qualified to certify scales), weights, loading, and capacities, etc.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:24 PM   #1489

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rail,

I try not to take anything on the plane that they will confiscate. Jerks took a tiny screwdriver I had once because they wanted it, not because it could be used as a weapon.

Gordon,

WHY RV toilet paper and not regular? Does it really make that much difference?

Walmart does free shipping so I can order what I want and have it shipped. Problem is controlling immediate wants with you already got so much stuff at home that will work so get just what you need and wait until we get home.

So how long of a sewer hose do we need, how long of a white water hose, and do we need a regular garden hose? Do you carry oil in case you need it? Got a tire gauge, what tools do we need immediately? Remember we are flying down. Durabond tape, caulk? Duct tape, electrical tape, what do we need?

Thank you for all your help and support. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:05 PM   #1490

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Rail,

I try not to take anything on the plane that they will confiscate. Jerks took a tiny screwdriver I had once because they wanted it, not because it could be used as a weapon.

Gordon,

WHY RV toilet paper and not regular? Does it really make that much difference?

Walmart does free shipping so I can order what I want and have it shipped. Problem is controlling immediate wants with you already got so much stuff at home that will work so get just what you need and wait until we get home.

So how long of a sewer hose do we need, how long of a white water hose, and do we need a regular garden hose? Do you carry oil in case you need it? Got a tire gauge, what tools do we need immediately? Remember we are flying down. Durabond tape, caulk? Duct tape, electrical tape, what do we need?

Thank you for all your help and support. Lynne
Hi Lynne;
We use RV toilet paper because it is supposed to deteriorate quickly. Otherwise it can clump and foul the tank sensors. I think a good single ply TP would be OK. Here are a couple links
Toilet paper appropriate for RV.
Toilet Paper

On our 5er we have 20" of sewer hose but the outlet is forward. On the coach we have a 10' because the outlet is near the back. The coach should come with at least one length. If not ask the dealer to throw one in as part of the deal. With one length you will be able to get to a dump. You may have to move to dump but since you will be in traveling mode you are going to be moving anyway. After you stay in a campground you will see if you need an extra hose or not. If the outlet is near the rear tires one should be fine.

We have one 50' water hose that has worked on both the 5er and the coach. Long for the 5er and way too long for the coach. The extra hose I just leave coiled by the campground hookup. Janet wanted the white hose. I think there is some concern about getting an off taste from a garden hose. Likely marketing but we like the white hose and it is not much more expensive. I have had a lot of drinks from the garden hose over the years and did not think the water tasted that bad. See if the dealer will throw one in as part of the deal or give you a serious discount.

IMO your immediate needs and wants should be minimal as you suggest. The stuff at home should be your shopping market. You only need stuff so you can sleep, eat, drink and relax on the way home. Obviously you will need pillows, sheets and a blanket. If you shop for food you can purchase an economical frying pan, plastic eating utensils and paper plates. It will cost you almost as much to ship that stuff from home as to buy it at the first Walmart or store of your choice.

You may want to take a pliers and multi screw driver in case there are some minor things to work on but keep it to a minimum. You cannot predict if anything will go wrong. You do not want to prepare for a big failure as that will not happen. There may be a screw or two you want to tighten but I think Curtis would have noticed any issues like that. Generally the big thing that annoys me are the rattles. Something just needs a bit of tightening.

No tape or anything like that. Walmart or a store of your choice will have those items, if you need it. Same for some truck stops. You have to stop for fuel and food so you will have many opportunities to pick up some of those items should you find the need to use them on the trip home. I doubt that you will find much or anything that will require immediate attention.

IMO you will be fine with stuff so you can sleep, eat, drink and relax.

I originally had the impression you were driving down and were going to have the toad prepared for towing at the same time. If that were the case I would take a few more tools, real plates, cups, etc and some tools. Flying or shipping those items will be more costly than purchasing replacements or temporary items like plastic cutlery and paper plates.

Hope this helps. Bit long winded but I can type fast!!! LOL
Old 05-13-2015, 04:46 AM   #1491

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning Gang,

Ah COFFEE! Yummm!

Gordon, thanks for the info. I have read a lot of threads, including the subject of TP. Tried the test on what we have at home and it will work. Just going to send down a roll until we get to a Walmart.
I figure I can "outfit" the rig correctly when we get home. Sheets, pillows, and towels as well as a coffee maker being shipped by Walmart today (as soon as I put the order in). Other things I am boxing up and sending down. Then when we get home I'll do a thorough going over and cleaning before we put anything in it.

Otherwise, 10 sleeps until we get there.

Have a great day! Lynne
Old 05-13-2015, 05:40 AM   #1492

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Morning all, Lynne, getting closer , all the planning paying off now!
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:09 AM   #1493

Lynne,
I agree with Gordon on the no tools or spare parts, until you get the unit home. If you see that you need something, you can usually find a Walmart, auto parts store or truck stop near by. On the TP the debate on what kind is better is about as big as the which unit is better, MH or 5er. So just send 1 roll from home. We use a 2 ply septic safe one, usually from Walgreens, but can be from anywhere. Are you planning on stopping at campgrounds on your trip home, or just at Walmarts overnight? If you are not stopping at campgrounds, don't forget to fill your fresh water tank before leaving Curtis's. 1- 10 to 15' sewer hose will get you home, but I have 20' plus a spare 15' one. Fresh water hose, get one of the drinking water safe ones. Usually a 50' and maybe a 30' one is all that is needed. Don't forget the pressure regulator.( Only need 1 hose till you get home.) Minimal cooking utensils, and pots and pans, unless you just stop and eat out(your choice)
Don't forget washcloths and towels plus personal hygiene items. I'm sure staying a couple days with Curtis will show you what you will need.
Have fun and don't worry about it, if you forget something, you can stop and get it along the way. Just sit back and enjoy the trip and your MH.
Frank
Old 05-13-2015, 12:59 PM   #1494

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm with Frank. Use the KISS method. A dinner or two out will be a treat.

Number of Sleeps until May 23: 10
Old 05-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #1495

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello Guys,

The packages are in the mail Sent Curtis an E-mail so he knows when to expect them. He is going so far beyond the norm I am just in awe. What can you say when someone goes so far for a stranger. We are looking forward to meeting them and spending a little time there. Not too long though as I want to visit my sister.

So, all we need once we get down there is a sewer hose and white water hose. Pressure regulator and chairs if we decide to buy them there. Depends on what they have in comparison to what we have here. Food, bottled water, propane, and a full gas tank in the MH.

Do you guys drive down the road with a tank of propane and your fridge running on it? I have read varying opinions on this subject. How long can I rely on a propane tank lasting if used to cook and power the fridge? Do you fill your propane tank if you plan on traveling or wait until you arrive at your destination?

We have a lot to learn and you all have been very generous about me picking your brains. I appreciate it. There will be more questions for sure.

Have a great evening, Lynne
Old 05-13-2015, 07:13 PM   #1496

Lynne,
The propane tank size varies with units, but the only appliance that really uses a lot of propane is the furnace. Without running the furnace, you can probably go a couple months maybe longer, even running the furnace, you will have plenty to get you home, even if you take a couple weeks. I always run the fridge, the only thing is before you pull up to the fuel pumps, you have to remember to shut the fridge off and any other propane fired things that you may have on. then don't turn them back on until after you have pulled away from the pumps.
Most dealers give you a kit with water hose, sewer hose, sometimes the pressure reducer and fill the propane tank. Curtis will be able to tell you when he gets the MH back to his place.
Frank
Old 05-14-2015, 03:35 AM   #1497

I had forgotten all the stuff it takes to set up a Coach for doing what we do.

Lynne, we'll get you going good with the basics and then play it by ear from there. I always have to tell Melissa not to fret if we forget something. There are Walmart's all along the way so if you find you don't have some things you can stop and buy them.
They have everything to get you set up initially.

I'll check and make sure you have the necessities before you get here.
I'll have it here for the better part of a week so I'll have time to make a list. And we have a Super Center Walmart right down the road in every direction from my place in less that 20 miles. The closest is about 7 miles from here.down the highway.

Don't lose sleep over this. Relax and enjoy the learning experience. You'll be a Pro by the time you get home.

Oh and I prefer to run the refer on 12 volts when traveling. Makes getting gas a lot safer and one less thing to worry about. And that keep from using up your propane too fast.There is an automatic setting on it so when you stop for the night it should switch to propane, . I'll teach you all that stuff while you're here.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:08 AM   #1498

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Lynne, I have always run the fridge while driving down the road. Just as Frank said, turn it off when getting gas, just as a precaution! Remember to look which side the fuel fill up is on, when you are at Curtis's, and check to see if your fuel gauge has the little arrow pointing to that side! If not, get a sticky note, and put it next to the fuel gauge, reminding you of which side it is on! A MH is a lot bigger than a car, and much harder to move to the other side to fill up! Ask me how I know?
A couple of things that will come in handy for quick repairs, are a screw driver and bits( Roberson #1/#2, (the square ones), Phillips, and straight. And a package of wire ties!
Wal-Mart sells the sewer hose preassembled w/ends on, and work very well, and also have the white drinking water safe hoses, if not in the RV section, in the garden section!
A tank of propane will last you a long time, so one fillup, should last till fall! The only thing you will be using it for is water heater, cooking, and fridge, and furnace, but that will not be used much, be my guess? The water heater may have a electric mode also, along with your fridge, so when plugged in, will operate off elect.
Remember to turn off the water pump, when underway! We had the filter under the sink start leaking our first day, but caught it right away, so no damage!
One other thing that we bought after we got the MH, was a electric ceramic heater, to run when plugged in, to knock the chill off or heating when you are plugged into campground power! We ended up buying two, catching them on sale at the end of the season, 7 dls. apiece! Glad we had them, as we used them a lot in the cold country we were in!
Also you mentioned buying chairs, our MH had the free standing dinette, and there were two chairs that went with it under the bed in bags, very nice wooden ones that matched the dinette! So look under your bed?
Remember, when buying a tire gauge to get one that has the dual foot, at a angle, for truck tires, that goes to 120psi!
Also, our MH had a built in coffee maker, so all we bought is the sugar in the round container, and the creamer the same, filters, and coffee, in a small container. You can get all the canisters when you get home. Anything else you are unsure of, just ask, someone will know how to answer! Enjoy!! 10 more sleeps! Scratch 10, by the time you read this,, 9 more sleeps!!!
Rail!