Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:53 AM   #1499

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Curtis,
I'm not sure about the one in Lynne's coach, but most of the new fridge's only have 110 volt and propane, few have the 12volt any more. I agree with you on the relax, don't fret, and enjoy the experience.
Lynne,
A couple more friendly words of advice. This one you may already know, but just in case, when you are hooked up to sewer, don't leave the black( toilet) tank open, only open it when you need to drain the tank. You can leave the grey(shower and sink) tank open if you desire, some people do, some don't, your choice, I do.
Second is if you are running the Generator while traveling, don't forget to shut it off before pulling up to the fuel pumps also, again, a safety thing( don't forget the fridge especially if you are running it in Auto mode). I harp on this a lot because of 27 years as a volunteer firefighter.
Most of all, don't worry, you will make many mistakes as we all have, and you will have growing pains as you learn, but as long as you use common sense, everything will be fine. Just sit back and enjoy, Rv'ing is a great lifestyle and we are Nomads, its just we do it in style and comfort.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 09:39 AM   #1500

Winnebago Owners Club
Exciting news about the preparations Lynne. IMO you have covered most if not all of the items you need to cover. You can over prepare and thus end up doing way too much. I know they say to be proactive.

Travelling with propane on is one of those contentious items. Many folks do it all of the time and have no issues. I do not believe in it as it adds another risk to travel. We always turned off the fridge and propane when travelling with the 5er. The coach is all electric.

I was not comfortable with traveling with the tank on because there is a very very small possibility of a line cracking and propane leaking. A recent accident involving a motorhome turnover had a line break or crack and the fire department had to deal with it. Since you are in the coach and propane has a very distinctive smell you will notice a leak long before it gets to a dangerous level. In the 5er we were not present for long periods of time.

The fridge in the 5er seemed to be able to be left off for periods long enough to fit our travel schedule. The fridge was only propane or 110. We would run the fridge overnight on propane and shut it off last thing before we started traveling. We would not open the door except to take out lunch and put it back. The frozen stuff was still frozen at the end of the day when we turned the propane back on and started the fridge as soon as we stopped. (this was possibly due to the fact the freezer was packed full, we always took a bunch of steaks south and pork home)

Since you will be travelling it would be great if you had a 3 way fridge (12v, 110 and propane). While traveling you could turn the fridge to 12v and turn the propane off. Since you will have access to the fridge you will be amazed at the number of times you will be opening the fridge for a snack, cold drinks, etc.

Now having turned the propane off you will also have turned off the water heater. If the water heater is full of hot water you should have enough warm water for washing hands etc during the day. But if you dont turn the propane off you will have hot water during the day.

Use of the propane for the fridge and water heater will not be too hard on the propane. Propane is fairly economical. The down side is getting the tank(s) filled. I do not know if you have a permanent mount or portable bottles. Portable bottles are easier to fill but generally the permanent mounts are larger.

Bottom Line: Do whatever you feel the most comfortable with and gives you the most pleasure. Cold drinks and hot water are two of the pleasures in life we deserve.

When fueling you must turn of the fridge and water heater and extinguish all pilot lights in most jurisdictions. I believe some require the propane tank be turned off as well.

Curtis and Frank have said it very eloquently. Relax and enjoy your first trip. Trying to prepare for every contingency will be very stressful. You have prepared for the important things: food, clothing, shelter and snacks. The first trip is a learning experience. You will learn, cope and be fine.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:46 PM   #1501

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Good Morning!!

Lynne - I'm with the crowd here, relax and enjoy your journey. Curtis will get ya fixed up. Speaking of, can you really consider him a stranger? We all spend at least some time together every day, or nearly every day, and share things going on in our lives, offer support and advice and have coffee, even if it is only online so far for most of us. while we have not been eye to eye and broke bread yet, I consider you all to be "friends" and hope to tie the bonds securely one day with each of you. Great crowd here. Besides, wouldn't you have offered to do the same for him? I'll wager you would.

Have an awesome day everyone.
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:03 PM   #1502

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jay

I agree, I believe the people here to be my friends. It is just such a great favor for us and yes, we would do it for someone else. Perhaps one day they will want to go see the falls and can stop here and rest a day or two. I think as I get retired we will meet up with several of you.

Already have plans to meet Frank and spouse in September for Rhubarb pie, ice cream, and probably coffee. Looking forward to it. Now with having a rig, we can enjoy the RVing lifestyle and friends.

By the way, one more check off my list.

Title in hand Y
IN Curtis's driveway Soon Pictures to follow
IN my driveway by May 30th
Pictures to follow

I'm not worried so much about the questions I ask as just trying to learn. I figure we will definitely make mistakes but don't we all. The chairs are for outside sitting on the way home. May stop at Walmart one night but probably do a CG too. Depends on which way home and when we leave for home. Coffee pot was not included and a necessity for us.

6 more day of W--k and then out of here for a week.

Will do some eating and shopping and then drive her home. 10 more sleeps.
Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:24 AM   #1503

It should be in my driveway today.

I'm going to fill the propane tank on the way home with it to save you the stress and hassel. Plus I want to prime all the lines and make sure it's ready to go for you.( it was empty when we looked at it.)
I'll have all next week to find any leaks and such.

The fridge is a 3 way and I'll make sure you have the basics down before you drive off. Don't want to overwhelm you guys the first day.

The dining room is a booth so no chairs.
Black and Decker coffee pots work good in motorhomes.

You'll have time to pick up what you find you need or can toss it in when you get home.

Just remember; Don't sweat the small stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff and you'll be fine.

Take a deep breath and plan on learning as you go. Knowing it all and having it all perfect right from the start is too stressful.

Like I said you'll have the basics down before you leave my house so you don't blow yourself up and all. The rest you can ask about and pick up as you go.

It'll be fun. Or it should be!
Old 05-15-2015, 09:02 AM   #1504

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm with Curtis. You can worry yourself silly, prepare as much as you want for contingencies and have something totally off the map go wrong.

I checked the brochure and it only listed a 2 way fridge, 3 way is bonus!!! The tank they list is a mounted tank with 18 gallon capacity. Lots of propane.

While looking at the brochure I noted the Sunova is a very smart looking coach.

Curtis - you are my hero for doing all of this for Lynne and Jerry. It is such a generous thing to do.

Sleeps to May 23: 8
Old 05-15-2015, 02:02 PM   #1505

I agree with Gordon, Tells the character of the person that you are Curtis. I would go on to say that most of us on here would do similar if the need arouse.
Lynne,
I know that Curtis will have you all fixed up and do the walk through with you and Jerry, so you will be good to go before you leave his place. The rest will be by experience and by asking the questions like you already have. The biggest thing is enjoy the experience and take your time, don't rush to do anything, that's usually when things happen.
Frank
Old 05-15-2015, 04:07 PM   #1506

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Guys,

I'm not in any hurry, just want to take the time to learn this RVIng thingy and have a good time. I have always loved camping so it's mostly the rig we need to learn. Part of the fun of making a mistake is having something to laugh about when you tell people how silly you were.

One more item to cross off the list.

IN Curtis's driveway YES! Pictures to follow. No issues and he said we are going to love the way it drives. I guess those MONSTER sway bars help a lot.

8 more sleeps

I will ask questions as they come. I have been trying to keep the excitement down and have done very well, but with her sitting in Curtis's driveway it now seems more real to me. Two more items to cross off the list.

IN my driveway May 30th
Pictures to follow of it sitting in the driveway.

Thank each and everyone of you, Lynne
Old 05-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #1507

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Lynne, glad its all coming together , Its great that Curtis can help get everything squared away, much better then at the dealers.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:11 PM   #1508

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IN Curtis's driveway!

Well, Curtis got her home with him and Melissa. I think we are gonna love this baby.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH in Curtis's DW.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	94339  
Old 05-15-2015, 05:13 PM   #1509

Lynne,
It has to be comforting to know that your unit will be as ready to go as it can be when you get there, a lot more so than if you were picking it up at a dealers. Make sure to let us laugh at you(Wait, I mean with you, lol) when you do a booboo, like we all have.
Looking Good!
Frank
Old 05-15-2015, 08:24 PM   #1510

Well blame it on "Can't Leave Anything Alone".

Would you believe the new right side mirror showed up this afternoon?

Yep, you guessed it. I had to put it on!

Did a few other little fixes while I was at it. More tomorrow!
Gonna play with the AC and get that figured out. Oh and that missing clearance light too!

The Coach drives real good and will lope along (a Texas Term) at 70mph all day long. Oh and I figured out how to tune the radio!
(Did you know this thing has an automatic satellite system in it?)

Even the flat spot on the tires from sitting for so long is getting better.
Barely noticeable by the I got it home after a 65 mile trip.

Yep, I think you got a good deal on it. Going to turn it around in the driveway and plug it in to shore power so it will be ready to spend your first night in it when you get here.

My neighbor up the street even came down and wanted to know if I'd sell it to him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150515_191736[1].jpg
Views:	20
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	94359  
Old 05-15-2015, 08:31 PM   #1511

Gulf Streamers Club
Looking good!!

p.s.

meant to ask. Will you have internet access when traveling back home in the MH?

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:41 PM   #1512

Winnebago Owners Club
Looks great in Curtis's driveway.

Number of sleeps to May 23: 8

Went to see the surgeon today. Everything is fine, come back in a year. PT took a look at her. 85 degrees of flex. On to the next set of exercises. We are thrilled.