Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:08 AM   #1653

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Lynne,
The reving sound was the thermostatic controlled fan kicking on because the temperature went up. So that is what it is supposed to do. The temperature rising could be a number of things, thermostat, radiator, water pump to name the main culprits. Check the fluid level in the radiator, you might have developed a leak in one of the hoses and lost your coolant.
Cruise control, could just be a fuse, or it could be more.
I thought that Curtis got the cigarette lighter working, if he did, that could be the same fuse, as the cruise control, or different one.
The microwave might not be hooked up to the inverter( inverter might not be big enough to run it) I can't run my microwave off the inverter either, I have to start up the generator to run the microwave.
Sorry, can't help on the levelers.
As far as the propane goes, your choice, I normally left mine on but it is really whatever you are comfortable with.
Glad that you made it home safe and sound.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2015, 07:56 AM   #1654

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning All,

Coffee is so good this am. Just sitting here relaxing and reading IRV2.

Check out the "new rig" thread when you get a min.

Frank, Thank you for the info. Didn't know that. It didn't get real warm, but the temp had risen and we wanted to side on caution rather than have a problem. Will take it in and get the oil changed, fluids flushed, and have them do a check to be safe. Fix the cruise control and lighter after we check fuses first.

I have been reading on the inverters and that makes sense to Jerry and I. We figured we had missed something. Lot to learn. I need to wash it, the weather in Texas did it no favors and the PO apparently wasn't very clean inside either. Then a wax job to pretty it up. Decals will have to wait for retirement. Most not too bad though. Steam clean the carpets (when it is dry outside and they will dry) when I can leave the windows open.

Otherwise, a few camping trips and practice.

Have a great day all! Lynne

beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:53 AM   #1655

Winnebago Owners Club
Lynne and Jerry;
Glad you are home. Agree with Frank on the engine fan. Our Ford does the same thing. Propane as he says is your option. If you travel with it on there would be no reason to turn it off at home, you will not turn it off when you are camping. Supposed to be off though when fueling in some jurisdictions. If it is a fuse for the cruise and cigarette lighter and Curtis had it working there is likely an issue to solve, otherwise the fuse will continue to burn out. I would not install a larger fuse as a fix.

How does it feel to you when driving? After a very short time I am sure it was not much more difficult than driving your car. Will go to the new rigs and check it out.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:59 AM   #1656

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
If it is a fuse for the cruise and cigarette lighter and Curtis had it working there is likely an issue to solve, otherwise the fuse will continue to burn out. I would not install a larger fuse as a fix..
Maybe 5amp more, but not more than that. Could be a load issue, not a short and 5 more wont cause damage if there is a short.
1992 County Coach Magna #4926 Magna Carta "Maggie"
25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:46 PM   #1657

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello Guys,

Posted some pics in "General Discussion". We found two broken wires in the engine compartment. I am sure they are causing some kind of issue. One runs from the middle of the engine area all the way down to the passenger side to another part. The other appears to have just broke but the wire coating is very brittle. Hoping we can order the parts and replace ourselves. Will have to see what kind of answers we get. Coolant is full.

Otherwise, she is now parked in the side yard by the garage. Rainy today so no outside cleaning. Leaned her a bit so the rain runs off. It will take some time to learn what we need to know. Thank you all for the help.

Lynne
Old 05-31-2015, 05:57 AM   #1658

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning All,

Dropped down into the 50's last night. Great sleeping weather. Coffee good as usual. Looks like it is gonna rain most of today or at least be cloudy out. It was pretty dry when we got home, garden was dry and bird baths too. Put water in the bird baths and they rejoiced! They love those things, that's why we have 3 of them.

Jerry tore apart the plumbing bay where the leak is. We now have to order the parts and put it back together.

Frank, I am sure you are right about the inverter not being able to run the microwave. We will try out with the generator when Jerry has the plumbing back together. That is still a little akward for me to run. I am always afraid I am doing something wrong since nothing in the books says (do step 1, then step 2, and so on). This too will figure out when we have time to just use it.

Gordon, she drove fine for both of us. We were on a road in Tennessee and when it was going 60mph no problems, go up to 70mph and the front end vibrated to the point the TV was squeaking. Thought it was a tire balance issue maybe. Another road, drove 70mph no problem at all. Must have been that stretch of road. We just slowed back down to 60 until it stopped.

Otherwise, back to w--k tomorrow. This last week was fun being off and it won't be too long until I am done completely. Meanwhile I will put gas money away so we can travel.

You all have a wonderful day! Lynne
Old 05-31-2015, 07:30 AM   #1659

Lynne,
A lot of the plumbing parts and wires , you can get at your local hardware/plumbing supply, and the wire will be at your local auto parts store.
You will probably find that the best speed will be between 60 and 65mph for fuel mileage, and the feeling of comfort in driving.
As far as the generator, you push the primer(start button down instead of up) a couple times, then push the start. It is as simple as that. If your unit has an automatic transfer switch, there is nothing else to do. If it does not, there will be a plug in the shore power cord compartment that the cord must be plugged into to power the MH from the generator power. Any questions that you may have , please ask and I will do my best to answer. If you need to talk to me, send me a PM and I will give you my cell #.
Frank
Old 05-31-2015, 07:58 AM   #1660

Good Morning All,
Gordon, a side note on the pool area, yesterday, had a little one almost drown in the pool, luckily an ER nurse was at the pool, and they got him breathing again and he was awake and talking when he was taken to the hospital, haven't heard any more, but he seemed to be ok.

Another note to all, next door to us, a couple pulled in yesterday and started to set up with a TT. As he was pulling the TV away, for some reason the TT followed, pulled the unit off the leveling blocks and bent the tongue jack. The moral is to MAKE SURE YOU CHOCK YOUR TRAILER WHEELS BEFORE UNHOOKING. It is too easy for someone to get hurt when the trailers are moving around when they are not supposed to.

Frank
Old 05-31-2015, 08:49 AM   #1661

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Frank,

We have a plug in the shore power cord compartment for the generator. Curtis explained this after we were on the road and couldn't use the microwave. We will be trying it out when the plumbing is back together. Jerry went to Home Depot and couldn't find the items he needed, but we have a plumbing store that may have it. It was closed Sat.

R/E the speed, we were just trying to see what effect it would have on the MPG. Ended up being about 1 MPG. Could make a big difference when traveling long distances. Won't worry about time when retired either.

You guys said when I did something "Oops" like that I had to tell you. So, my first shower in the rig was cold because I didn't leave the water heater on. I learned, next day it was hot. Of course no one told me that at the top of the shower head there is a turner to make the water flow. I stood there thinking, what the heck am I doing wrong? Looked a little more and saw the top of the shower head and turned it and "Wallah" water.

Next "Oops" was directing Jerry into the 2nd CG space. Can't put your slide out if you are too close to the hook ups. It's a good thing we have enough room with it in. Decided to just leave it for the night since we were just parking for the night. We'll learn. Never will do either of those again hopefully.

Enough for now, you all have a great day! Lynne
Old 05-31-2015, 09:18 AM   #1662

Winnebago Owners Club
Lynne - I hope you are able to go back to w--k with a spring in your step knowing you have crossed off a major item on your bucket list. Anytime you feel overwhelmed you will be able to think of the gem you have sitting at home and the potential to p--y (play). Well two when you count Jerry. It will make the time fly if you can stay patient.

Our microwave does work on the inverter but not the induction burner. Everything works when the generator is running. As Frank says starting the generator is pretty simple. It is a matter of practice so don't beat yourself up until you have been using the unit for a while. Generators need periodic exercising so run it at least once a month if you can for an half hour under a load.

On page 6 - 4 there is a note about the generator connection:
To use the 110-volt generator, plug the power
cord into the generator receptacle within the
shoreline compartment before starting the gener-
ator.

A quick if your MH has been upgraded with a electrical transfer switch. I read someplace that it is best to turn off or unplug the outside power before starting the generator. There have been instances when the transfer switch will arc with the shore power during the transfer and after a number of cycles there have been some failures. I make it a point to shut off the shore power before starting the generator.

I quickly checked your owners manual regarding the inverter and it was not very specific about what the inverter powers. However if the microwave works on shore power it will run when the generator is running.

Frank - glad to hear that the potential tragedy was just a close call.

Regarding the leveling blocks - I stopped using leveling blocks for the 5er a number of years ago. A fellow told me about a simple trick. Rather than block the low side up I have a trenching shovel and I will dig the high side in. The 5er is a tri-axle so I could not figure out how to carry long enough leveling blocks (I could but they would be about 7 feet long). So I tried carrying a number of shorter blocks. All was good if I only had to use one block but if I required more I did not have enough traction on the truck to push the trailer up on the blocks. So I would have to move back and ahead, back onto the first level, place a double level in front and move ahead, place the three level behind and move back. Cumbersome and pretty risky when I thought of it.

Anyway once I get to where I want the trailer I mark the tire location, pull ahead a foot or so, dig holes for the tires and then move back. I do this until the 5er is level side to side and then unhook. I have created wheel chocks with the holes. I always make sure I fill the holes when we are leaving.

Note: I did carry three 2x8x12 blocks for the occasional time we parked on a concrete pad, but generally they are level enough.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:39 AM   #1663

Winnebago Owners Club
Oops
Lynne and I must have been writing about the same time. After I posted the thread refreshed and I see that she is on top of the issues. And I am too lazy to go back and delete all of the typing.

Regarding propane there have been a number of threads that debate the benefits/risk of traveling with propane on. We do/did not but the first thing we did when stopped was turn on the propane, start the fridge and the water heater. Note: if your water heater is fitted with an electrical element we always use that when connected at a camp ground.

On a learning note I found out about the electrical element by accident. I was in complaining the propane would not come on until the water was lukewarm. The service manager asked if it did the same on electric. ???? I said I don't know - was there electric? Well yes there was and he was gracious enough to take me to the trailer and show me the switch. Electric seemed to be a quick as propane and was much quieter. They had to replace one of the sensors and the propane worked great thereafter.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:03 PM   #1664

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Good Morning all.

Almost lost Patty yesterday. Some jackwagon had a bunch of wooden crates in the back of his PU stacked higher than the bed and did not secure his load. Driving down the freeway, Patty behind him, one of the crates flew off the truck. Patty dodged it as it flew past the passenger side of the car and she almost lost control. Had she not taken the evasive maneuver quickly enough it would have crashed right through the windshield. She told me she was certain it was going to hit her. The guy in the truck did not stop either.. She reported him to the state patrol.

Why would anyone get on the road with an unsecured load like that?

Had it hit her she surely would have been killed. Darn lucky there was not another car next to her and she was able to swerve just enough for it to miss her.

Lynne - those are some pretty minor ooopses. Learning how all that stuff works will take a while. There is a certain amount of that even for someone moving from one rig to another. With the 2 of you being handy with tools you will be able to fix most of those little issues you are having. A multi-meter is a good thing to have around for electrical issues and you can pick one up pretty reasonable at the hardware store or Harbor Freight. You don't need a fancy one, just make sure it's digital. Less than $20 these days.

Well lots of work to do. Clock is ticking.
1992 County Coach Magna #4926 Magna Carta "Maggie"
25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:53 PM   #1665

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jay,

Glad Patty is safe. It pays to be observant of other drivers and have good reflexes. Don't want to think about the outcome. While driving the MH home we stopped at a rest area for the driver to use the facilities and saw something that we just shook our heads at.

This guy had a pick-up truck with a full load of lumber in it. Over the top of the bed. Lumber weighs a lot but he apparently thought his tires had a bigger tolerance than they do. Especially the ones on the trailer he was also pulling with a full load. Of course he blew a tire or two on the trailer and was waiting for someone to come unload the lumber so he could replace a tire.

Anyone looking at the load and the way the pick-up truck bed was laying so low that his tires were buldging should have realized it was not going to work but I guess he had to try. Well, he paid the price for it. Another truck was just pulling up when we left.

Some things we will do and some things we will have done. What kind of wax do you guys use on your roof and on the outside of your MH? I need to clean the roof and then the sides.

Talk with you later, Lynne
Old 05-31-2015, 09:08 PM   #1666

Glad your problems are minor Lynne and you made it home safe! Well we went up to the house one last time to pickup Sallys' canoe, an old woodburning stove we bought and my EZ-Go golf cart, was going to leave the golf cart there so they could scrap it but after taking a wet rag and wiping some of the dirt that got on the paint sitting in the garage for 18-20 years and seeing that it looked like it did the day I painted it after totally disassembling it and sandblasting it then. I couldn't see letting all that work go to waste, and I want to get my moneys worth from the new motor I bought on the way to the airport down in Houston, Texas to put in it! That memory alone was worth keeping it, as the idea of walking on a airplane with a chunk of metal like that and putting it in the overhead storage would raise a lot more than eyebrows in the way things work now at airports! I really would like to do that again to see if they would lock me up! But I think i'll just keep the Memory and the cart instead, LOL! Bobby ps will post some pics of it tommorrow after I wash it!