Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:03 PM   #1667

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
Good Morning all.

Almost lost Patty yesterday. Some jackwagon had a bunch of wooden crates in the back of his PU stacked higher than the bed and did not secure his load. Driving down the freeway, Patty behind him, one of the crates flew off the truck. Patty dodged it as it flew past the passenger side of the car and she almost lost control. Had she not taken the evasive maneuver quickly enough it would have crashed right through the windshield. She told me she was certain it was going to hit her. The guy in the truck did not stop either.. She reported him to the state patrol.

Why would anyone get on the road with an unsecured load like that?

Jay
Had it hit her she surely would have been killed. Darn lucky there was not another car next to her and she was able to swerve just enough for it to miss her.

Lynne - those are some pretty minor ooopses. Learning how all that stuff works will take a while. There is a certain amount of that even for someone moving from one rig to another. With the 2 of you being handy with tools you will be able to fix most of those little issues you are having. A multi-meter is a good thing to have around for electrical issues and you can pick one up pretty reasonable at the hardware store or Harbor Freight. You don't need a fancy one, just make sure it's digital. Less than $20 these days.

Well lots of work to do. Clock is ticking.
Jay - thank goodness Patty was paying attention. It is a jungle out there and as you can probably tell from some of the threads on this forum there will be lots of drivers out there overloaded, loads unsecured, driving too fast, etc. They seem to insist that we have to look out for them as they know what they are doing. It is scary but Patty was on her toes. Good for her. All I can say is somewhere out there a village is missing its idiot, perhaps the highway patrol can find him and return him to his home.

We had a brief thunderstorm last night and got about 1/8 inch of rain. A couple small showers this afternoon. Still watering.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2015, 10:21 PM   #1668

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Jay - thank goodness Patty was paying attention. It is a jungle out there and as you can probably tell from some of the threads on this forum there will be lots of drivers out there overloaded, loads unsecured, driving too fast, etc. They seem to insist that we have to look out for them as they know what they are doing. It is scary but Patty was on her toes. Good for her. All I can say is somewhere out there a village is missing its idiot, perhaps the highway patrol can find him and return him to his home.

We had a brief thunderstorm last night and got about 1/8 inch of rain. A couple small showers this afternoon. Still watering.
Darn lucky indeed. She got his plate numbers so you can bet he had a visit with the troopers. Gross Misdemeanor and a fine with no personal or property damage. Prison if someone is injured. Hope he learns his lesson before he kills someone.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:44 AM   #1669

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning All, Jay, glad that Patty is okay.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:39 AM   #1670

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning All,
Finishing packing up to leave around 9 so I will keep this short. Glad that Patti is OK.
Will be on later this evening after we stop for the day.
Have a great day all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:43 AM   #1671
bap

thanks to the good lord above for keeping his eye on patty and giving her the attention and a clear path out of the way.....
i know around here its the loggers and scrap haulers that you have to keep an xtra eye on.....
........sooo this is a gooooodmorning for sure and coffee is great and the lap top seems to be working---slow but i think im on....lol
Old 06-01-2015, 06:44 AM   #1672
bap

safe travels frank...
Old 06-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
Good Morning all.

Almost lost Patty yesterday. Some jackwagon had a bunch of wooden crates in the back of his PU stacked higher than the bed and did not secure his load. Driving down the freeway, Patty behind him, one of the crates flew off the truck. Patty dodged it as it flew past the passenger side of the car and she almost lost control. Had she not taken the evasive maneuver quickly enough it would have crashed right through the windshield. She told me she was certain it was going to hit her. The guy in the truck did not stop either.. She reported him to the state patrol.

Why would anyone get on the road with an unsecured load like that?

Had it hit her she surely would have been killed. Darn lucky there was not another car next to her and she was able to swerve just enough for it to miss her.
Someone was looking out for her--and thankful for her quick reflexes. I'm glad she is physically OK! I'm sure her nerves will have the jitters for quite some time.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:26 AM   #1674

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Goooodmorning!!!

Having me first cuppa. Delish!

Thanks folks for the kindness about Patty.

Apparently she was not "driving faster than her angels could fly" (H/t Lynne) because something/someone was looking out for her. I'll be happy when she returns home safe from visiting her folks (about 2 hr drive away) so I can wrap my arms around her.

So I have been thinking real hard about the Super C I posted over on Terry's Total Rebuild page. Can't wait to show it to Patty later today. Not at all what we have been looking for/at, but I'm falling in love with it. I have a couple ideas about some tweaks and will post it up in CLAC and see what the CLACer crew thinks. If I can pull a trailer with it, I'm in. That is if Patty gives it the thumbs up. At the top of the budget we had set for a coach.

Anyone close to Lakeland Fla? If Patty likes it, and I'm certain she will love that interior as it's gorgeous, I plan to fly down and put eyes on it. So if someone is in the area would you be willing to take a quick peek at it before I spend money to fly down? Would just like to know if it looks as good as the photos. Don't want you to drive for hours, but if you happen to be nearby.....

BTW, for those that commented over on Total Rebuild, turns out the price is just below NADA for one of these rigs of this vintage.
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:36 AM   #1675

OCN I am sure glad Patty had her head on the road when that happened. Stuff like that is what kills people for no reason other than Drivers being Lazy and not securing their load. Moving Wind after all can lift up large airplanes. Boxes, Crates, boards and matteress are easy!

Lynne, Good to hear you are getting the little things I either missed or could find parts for repaired. I went to 6 different places trying to find the right parts to fix the plumbing leaks.

Funny about the Shower Head.. Sorry, I forgot to tell you about the valve on the shower head. It's there so one can conserve water in the water tank by turning off at the head rather than continually having to find the right mix of Hot vs Hot at the shower valves. It's called a NAVY Shower!

The leaky shower valves should only need new seat rubber to fix, so no need to buy the entire valve assembly if you don't want too. Home Depot sells those valve seats. They are cheap.

The front radio, I think you figured it out. I had to figure that out too!
It was working when we went to get gas because I was playing Pandora on my phone though it. It's just one of the power switches got turned off.

I wanted to dig into the cruise control but ran out of time. Is it working now that Jerry repaired the hoses?

I did a lot of research and never found a definite answer from the Factory, but I think plugging the shore cord into the generator plug in the compartment may be the only way to power the Microwave. Would be a Non Issue if it's plugged into it when you dissconnect from shore power.
Mine and all the others I've worked on have them tied to the inverter circuit when the generator is off.

Yes, turn the propane off at the tank when you are home. Saves propane and the refrigerator can be kept cold with an extension cord when you use that adapter I gave you.

Never saw that broken wire. Glad it was an easy fix. Not sure how I missed it. Good Job!

Some roads have tar strips that will shake your bus. Especially Arkansas! Your tires do have some flat spots on them from sitting for so many years but once they get warmed up while driving the flat spots go away.
We had our microwave fall "OUT" on the Interstate while crossing Arkansas a few years back. I think a motorcross track has less bumps.

Well, we've had almost 36 hours of dry weather here. Lakes are overflowing and all creeks and rivers at at their banks. A few days and it will bleed off all the extra water. Hopefully the New Texans from West Coast won't waste all our water up this Summer watering their grass. But since Wal Mart imports botteled drinking water from Sacramento to our Texans, I guess it's all even.

At least we'll have some good kayaking on the Guadelupe River in about a month.

My yard is still a swamp! Grass is almost 2 feet high. My poor John Deere riding mower is going to hate what's coming up when it dries up enough for cutting. I've already sharpened the blades to start razor sharpness to make the job easier.

Had to put brakes on my pickup yesterday. 4th set since I bought it in 2000.
Should turn over 200,000 miles on the old girl in about a week.
My old Dodge still looks and drives like a new one, inside and out, after all these years. So no need to spend the money to buy a new truck. Gotta love those Cummins Motors!

Well, I gotta go get out in the shop. Got some projects going I need to do while the sun shines.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:20 PM   #1676

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Hi All,
Rita and I are sitting at the KOA in Wytheville, Va. on our way back to Ohio. What a ripoff, $44.00 for 1 night with the Value Card discount. Oh well, It is convenient.
Yesterday in Charleston, We had another exciting day, A couple of the kids of the Managers were riding around on the golf cart (of course they were playing with one of the older kids that was staying at the park) and ran into the front of the pickup next door to us, I was out talking to him when this happened. The one that was driving hit his mouth on the steering wheel, and was dazed, but seemed ok after he caught his breath. Took out the panel below the bumper and one of the fog lights(it was a Silverado), Just lucky that no one was hurt other than a couple of bumps and bruises. Glad that we are out of there, before anything happened to us.
Just finished a nice Chicken Salad( cooked the chicken on the grill day before yesterday with our hamburgers, so it was quite tasty, and easy to fix today. Only had 1 trucker yell at me on the CB today, I guess when I made an evasive lane change to keep someone from running into the side of me, I cut someone off. Other than that it was an uneventful day(thank goodness).
Have a good evening everyone, catch you in the morning before we leave,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:48 PM   #1677

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Frank,Good to hear you only got yelled at once, better to be yelled at then have a fender bender. Sounds like the park you just left was a little wild, glad no one got seriously hurt. Are you just hopping now on your way back to Ohio or stopping again for a while? Have a great night all.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:52 PM   #1678

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Hi All,
Rita and I are sitting at the KOA in Wytheville, Va. on our way back to Ohio. What a ripoff, $44.00 for 1 night with the Value Card discount. Oh well, It is convenient.
Yesterday in Charleston, We had another exciting day, A couple of the kids of the Managers were riding around on the golf cart (of course they were playing with one of the older kids that was staying at the park) and ran into the front of the pickup next door to us, I was out talking to him when this happened. The one that was driving hit his mouth on the steering wheel, and was dazed, but seemed ok after he caught his breath. Took out the panel below the bumper and one of the fog lights(it was a Silverado), Just lucky that no one was hurt other than a couple of bumps and bruises. Glad that we are out of there, before anything happened to us.
Just finished a nice Chicken Salad( cooked the chicken on the grill day before yesterday with our hamburgers, so it was quite tasty, and easy to fix today. Only had 1 trucker yell at me on the CB today, I guess when I made an evasive lane change to keep someone from running into the side of me, I cut someone off. Other than that it was an uneventful day(thank goodness).
Have a good evening everyone, catch you in the morning before we leave,
Frank
Frank - it sounds like you are entering the "bumper car" phase of travel. I think it is time to find a place with less population. Head west young man, head west. Stop before you get to California though, they are due (overdue) for an earthquake.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:51 PM   #1679
bap

if anyone is planning on running threw eastern ky,,,,carter caves state park has a nice little cg, only 15 minutes from our house,,,,stop by and we can break some bread together,,,,---we go there often even if its just to spend a nice day...,,,,just sayin...
Old 06-01-2015, 08:47 PM   #1680

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Curtis,

I know you went all over trying to find parts, we are held up with the same issue. Haven't found out where to get them yet. There is an old RV place North of us Jerry will check with tomorrow to see if they have them or can order them. He doesn't have it fixed YET.

He wants to deal with the outside water compartment first since that one is the worse. Our Home Depot does not carry them but with so few RVs around here they wouldn't. We may have to take a trip to Grand Rapids to find items to fix that and get some extra seat rubber to have on hand for future fixes.

We found (what I call wires but are actually vacuum lines) two broken vacuum lines under the hood but have not gotten parts for those yet either. Think this I the cruise control problem. It will take time and we are still so very grateful for everything that you did. We bought used and knew there would be fixes but we are enjoying that part of it too.

I believe you and others here are right that we have to plug in the power cord to the generator and then start it to have that microwave work. Will check it out when we are done with the plumbing fix so may be a week or two.

The water you guys are getting is terrible. It was bad when we were down there and at this point unless you get a long dry spell you won't need to mow your yard cause it will drown. I feel for you.

Our time with you and Melissa was wonderful! I sure hope we can get together in the near future and enjoy some camping together and cooking over an open flame. Do you think Ripley and Porsha will come too?

Frank, The one KOA we stayed at was $45. and the other $35 (which was nicer) with an AARP discount. Right now I have no other discount cards.

Well, I'm tired. Going to hit the sack. You all have a good evening. Lynne

beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote