Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2020, 02:30 PM   #17165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie and Martha View Post
Hey all,

I spent a good part of last evening and most of today so far trying to identify and repair an electrical problem.

At first I thought out coffee pot was going bad and tripping the breaker. I put it on a known good circuit and it worked fine. Next, I checked the voltage at the outlet and it was fine. This outlet is a GFI outlet so I guessed it was bad but testing and resetting it turned it back on and it didn't produce a breaker that tripped.

So, I then checked the wiring to the outlet. All ok. I went from there to the breaker thinking it was weak from age. It felt right but I unwired it and rewired it to another known good circuit and it still didn't trip.

I was scratching my head at that point when I noticed that the neutral from the supposed bad circuit appeared burned at the point where it enters the neutral bus. On close inspection the lug that was supposed to hold it was cross threaded and the wire was just floating inside the buss. That could have easily started a fire. I had to cut the wire back two inches to find unburned copper.

Then as I was about to put the covers back on my two load center I noticed that the smaller load centers ground wire was run into the large load center and then never got terminated to ground. Sheesh! These wires spent the last 15 years in this condition. It's no wonder I have had so many electrical issues.

I tightened every lug in both load centers and then went to the basement and checked every wire in the transfer switch, bi-directional relay and battery isolator. This is going on my semi-annual maitenance list.

Time for an adult beverage.
So your coach is trying become one big arc welder? The air gap is what creates the arc that melts steel.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2020, 08:14 PM   #17166

Good evening!

Close call Charlie!!!

Friend John almost lost his coach to loose wires in his transfer switch while we were at the Maine M&G. Melted the entire switch.

Nice day today. Great weather.

Pot luck dinner was at the local chinese buffet. Yum! Good!

Have a good night all!

L.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:55 AM   #17167

Drinking first cup of coffee. 19° with cloudy skies this morning. Heading to 28° with partly cloudy skies. My post from yesterday seems to have disappeared. Got a problem with Credit Union fixed after I threatened to move my money to another credit Union. Stupid people adding stress to a already stressed person.
No plans for today. All the weather people forecasters are making like we live in Florida and it is going to snow. Hey people we live in Michigan. It snows here.
Charlie, good find. Checking wires was on my list of things to do after every long trip. Never found another loose wire after first find in 12 years.

Rail, I like the lights.

Gordon, if you are coming to the M&G you can light up all the RV's.

Lloyd, was looking forward to tail pictures.

Prayers and best to everyone.

Good Morning All.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:19 AM   #17168

Temp is 7*@7:00 been dropping since I got up @ 3:00 so the sun could help reverse that a bit , but the prediction people are saying it isn't.
Tonight , the wonderful world of below the ZERO arrives in East Coast Alaska!

Last thing I did after shoveling the storm that never ends for the 4th time is shovel off my roof.......then realized I was wearing my spike cleats !!!!!!

I finally found my leak Thanksgiving ,,,and guess I'll have 500 more to find !!!!
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh

In the 18 minutes it took to post this it is now 6*.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:48 AM   #17169

Good morning!!!

Popeye,,,,, you have taken so long to get to the real winter! Below zero is there!! About those cleats,,,,, yikes!

Me 2 on the tail gunner photos Ronj, have a different memory card in there for the next run.

Did get a few nice shots flying the drone over the Graffiti desert posted on FB. Then helped friend Ben plan a little for the Sunday run (he is going to lead this Sunday) and we were never lost. However we ran along for 30-40 mins and came out entirely where we didn't think we were!!!!!! Clearly a new trail!

Have a great day all!

L.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:48 AM   #17170

Fiberglass Casts are finally off. But now I'm confined to strap on casts.
(Walking Boots, but not allowed to walk in them yet for another 8 weeks.
At least I can scratch the itchy feet and remove them to sleep and shower.
Wet and rainy here @ 50 degrees. So my electric scooter is still not getting used.
Gotta go get some coffee and breakfast, I guess.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:58 AM   #17171
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
My post from yesterday seems to have disappeared.
It's still there.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/good-...ml#post5112194
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:13 AM   #17172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Top of the day to ya! Curt, good going getting those casts off! You're on your way![emoji106]
Below zero big time at the Corn patch, bracing for 6+ inches storm as I speak.....and possibly two more storm systems after that. Glad I'm at the sweet spot of TN...we'll suffer through the 50s today.
Headin' back for another cup, take care all, I be checkin' in later.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:25 AM   #17173

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning;
Great progress getting the casts off. As I recall you are ahead of schedule.

Glad we are not at home. -45 temperatures. Fortunately the temperatures are moderating.

Have a great day.

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:03 AM   #17174

Congrats Curtis! Great progress!

Still cool here on the morning shady side of the street. Went outside and dumped the tank, came back in to wait for the big heater in the sky to kick in.

Watching Janet and Gordon cleaning golf clubs through the window.

Deb waiting for the morning 10:15 walk about of the park with the other ladies. Then off to the car wash, Rubi is nasty dirty.

L.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:53 PM   #17175

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Congrats Curtis! Great progress!

Still cool here on the morning shady side of the street. Went outside and dumped the tank, came back in to wait for the big heater in the sky to kick in.

Watching Janet and Gordon cleaning golf clubs through the window.

Deb waiting for the morning 10:15 walk about of the park with the other ladies. Then off to the car wash, Rubi is nasty dirty.

L.
Busy morning in Tampa at Super Show. Wife melting last of her credit cards[emoji1]. Waiting for show to start at 7. Friday night is ice cream night st show. Last
nights singer was great. Kenny Evens. If you get a chance catch one of his oldies show. Dogs having great time meeting other pooches. [emoji190][emoji190][emoji190][emoji41][emoji53][emoji36][emoji49]
Hope to sleep in Sat morning, at least till 7.
Goodnight all.[emoji573]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:26 PM   #17176

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey All, hope everyone is well! I am happy to report that I have brought Sally home from the hospital about an hour ago! She has a little discomfort , but is walking around fine. She doesn't have the pains she had before surgery. Don't know if i'd be in as good shape with a foot or so of my colon taken out !!! I'm so teed off at the other surgeon from last April that had her in the same hospital for 5 days , told her she had a perforation, she would need a colostomy bag and then dismissed and discharged her with no treatment ! Because she had the Audacity to ask for a second opinion! Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers! Hopefully we can have some more fun in Michigan as she will be walking around ! Curtis I hope you heal quickly, gets boring I know!

'06 Itasca Sunova 8.1/4l85e, retired 90 Dakota Convertible Toad, 2015 Kia Soul (SunovaToad)
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:50 PM   #17177

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey Bobby that's fantastic!! Praise God, I'm very glad to hear that!
Tell Sally- "take it easy" and we're all rootin' for ya for a fast complete recovery.
Thank the Lord for second opinions, great news.[emoji106][emoji106]
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:13 PM   #17178

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good Morning Everyone! Coffee is very good today!

Great News, Bobby! So glad Sally is doing better! Tell her to take it slow, and give herself time to heal, and slowly get back to her old self! Will be great to see you and her going to all the places with the group up in the U.P.!

Also great news Curtis! I bet it is a really good feeling to get those casts off!

The rope/neon is a big success! Everyone that comes in the store is commenting on how nice it looks! It really lights up the front of the store!

Yep, RonJ, your post went to the M&G thread! So not lost at all!
And, no worries about the Taiwan/Thailand mix up! They both start with a T! And both are in south/east Asia!

Lynne posted a like for a very nice steak house near Traverse City, Mi. on FB! Looks really good, so a road trip from the M&G will be a must!

Everyone have a great day! Rail!