Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2015, 05:47 PM   #1737

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Lynne,
What Gordon said on the roof. Do you have a trusted body shop that you use? I wouldn't trust Camping World to shine my shoes. You have to use a body shop grade polish and a power buffer to get the oxidation off, then wax, but you have to be careful that you don't go through the outer layer of the Gel Coat. A good body shop will know how to do this and have the supplies and tools to do this.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2015, 05:12 AM   #1738
bap

goooooodmorning everyone,,,,
LYNNE,, i agree with FRANK on the oxidation,,,,,it reminded me of waaaaay back when i thought i would suprise my step dad and buff out his old red car that had been neglectede,,,,,my first time at trying to bring the color back,,,,,it turned out a dull pink,,,i thought he was gonna kill me,,,,lol,,,,but instead he made me drive it,,,ALOT..
it was kinda like a 3rd car his 2nd and i had my own,,,but everytime he said run dwn there and pick up something i knew what i was driving,,,,lol---

to all----have a safe and great day...
Old 06-08-2015, 06:40 AM   #1739

Freightliner Owners Club
Good Morning All,
Looks like the severe storms running across the midwest are going to go south of us, maybe a little rain today, but not severe.
Have had a lot of people, tell us that they are envious of our full time lifestyle and they are thinking very hard at doing it themselves when they retire. Asking a lot of questions about logistics, and home base. I try to give them some of the options and tell them to join IRV2 to get a lot more information.

bap,
I'm glad to hear that your ankle is not slowing you down.

Have a great day all,
Frank
Old 06-08-2015, 06:44 AM   #1740

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good morning, Some rain here this AM might get heavy later, Bap I'm with Frank it seems your ankle is not slowing you down much. Lynne, your MH is looking Good, amazing what maintenance will do.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:32 AM   #1741
bap

i guess ive sprained it sooo many times im just use to it....lol,,

i tell everyone about irv2 and you great folks,,,,and what a wealth of info you all have to offer,,,,

full timming i could see wouldnt be for everyone,,,the way we found out was actually living in our first mh for a year,,,,there are alot of cut backs that some people couldnt do,,,but if you can learn that you dont need 3/4 of the stuff you have at a house then its great,,,...
.....have a great day guy,s gotta git er goin.......
Old 06-08-2015, 10:14 AM   #1742

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Goooodmorning!!!

Coffee is hot and fresh. Help yourself.

Lynne - Have to agree, bodyshop or detailer is the better way to go if you have never used a buffer before. I learned to use one on a car that needed painting anyway. Besides that is a massive project.

Bap - Agree, the big struggle with fulltiming is the downsizing. We have all become so materialistic and collect all this "stuff" and live in bigger homes to store it all. My first house was built in 1926. 700 sq ft + same in the basement. Amazing how simple folks lived before we had all these toys and gadgets. Take care of that ankle.

Going to be another hot one today. Really have to pace yourself outside when you are used to much cooler temps. Odd thing is I grew up in the Mojave Desert but have lived up north for so long 90 is dang hot.

Outside project are almost done. Just a few more things inside and we are done with the S&B. Now to get rid of more of this "stuff."

Have a great day.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #1743
bap

humidity is waaay different,,,thats why it feels hotter,,,,were at 100% right now and thats why im taking a water break----struggling with removeing a water holding tank from a 63 tt,,,,man its in there...the nutserts are spinning underneath so im 3 cutting wheels on the dremel 2 bolts to go and 1 more cutoff wheel,,,,i see another trip to the hardware store because its taken 2 per bolt,,,lol...but i did find a few old books under it from 1958,,,,,lol...
Old 06-08-2015, 08:26 PM   #1744

Freightliner Owners Club
bap,
What a find, amazing what you find in those older units.

Ended up with no rain today, but did have that storm type breeze most of the day.

It is not too bad once you see what you need vs what you want. We have been at this just shy of 2 years now, and we are removing more stuff than we are adding, so hopefully I will get the weight back down to the GVWR of both the truck and trailer.

Have a good night all,
Frank
Old 06-09-2015, 06:43 AM   #1745

Freightliner Owners Club
Good Morning All,
Coffee good this morning, rained lightly last night, kind of gloomy right now, looks like it could rain some this morning. Oh well, still have to look at the water pump, it is either plugged up or went kaput, will pull it out and see what gives. We normally just use it we we travel, last time it wouldn't shut off, but was still pumping good, then it wouldn't build any pressure, now it doesn't want to turn on, that's why I think there is something in the vanes plugging it up. Oh well, we will see in a little bit. Its not hard to get to, just have to crawl it the back of the front compartment.
Have a great day all,
Frank
Old 06-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #1746

Freightliner Owners Club
Good Afternoon all,
Well the plastic that surrounds the 5 pistons on the rotary pump broke. Of course it is a special order part and it is over $100, so I ordered a new pump for $150, it is not exactly the same, but the factory replacement, only 4 GPM instead of the 5.7 GPM of the old one, will pick it up tomorrow, got a piece of 3/4" heater hose to replace the pump till the new one comes in, then I had to put the hose pliers on to shut the flow off, no check valve, so I don't know where the water was going but you could hear it running, I am guessing that it was going into the fresh water tank, have a pair of hose crimping pliers for when I change my extra fuel filter, so I just used those in the middle of the heater hose, it seems to work fine.
I still might try to find the part and reinstall the old pump at a later date. Will call the factory and see what I can find out after I get everything else done that is needed.
Frank
Old 06-10-2015, 05:48 AM   #1747

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning All,

Another beautiful day out today. Sun is shining and this cup of coffee tastes mighty fine. Sitting here relaxing before I start on the inside of the MH. Going to wash down walls today, try to figure out how to get front curtains off so I can wash them, and clean the fridge.

I am looking forward to our first camping trip which is not planned yet. Going to go close to home and try some things out.

You all have a great day! Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:55 AM   #1748

Freightliner Owners Club
Good Morning Lynne,
Glad that it is sunny there, raining here in NE Ohio, supposed to get to near 90* today, but we will see. You are right about the coffee tasting good. I use Murphy's Oil Soap and water when I wash down my walls, not only does it clean, but on the woodwork it treats the wood. I also use a clean water bucket to rinse the walls also. I also put a box of baking soda in the fridge and leave the doors open when in storage, or when we aren't using it. Hope you get to use your unit soon, you will have a blast.
Frank
Old 06-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #1749

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Evening All,

Well, got the radio working. Funny thing, it has a reset button on the front of it(had I bothered looking I would have fell over it) I found when I read the manual. Pushed the reset button and wallah, radio comes on and works just like it did down at Curtis's. Dang, it even says in the manual (which I had to print because it was not in the packet with other paperwork) when I read it that if the radio will not work you need to reset it. A quirk in it.

It would appear there is also the same quirk in the Level Best leveler system. Here on IRV2 (doing some research and reading old threads) I found a thread that stated that the levelers need reset OFTEN after storage or months of not being used. Have not done that yet but will do so tomorrow evening to see if it works. Would be nice.

This would be nice to have both of these fixed with a simple reset. Found 3 wires / cables under dash that are a question too. Posted pics under "Ford chassi " to see what answers I get.

Well, we are learning, have a great night, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:08 PM   #1750

Gulf Streamers Club
Lynne and Jerry, so happy to see you have the MH at home and are getting it fixed up to your specs. If you have not already heard, I wanted to mention that you should do your initial camping in your driveway. Just load up and stay in it for a couple of days. You can check systems and get to know it. And it is the best way to check to see how it does without any hookups (boondocking). Test how much water you use, how much the holding tanks fill, how do the batteries hold up. And all of this is just a stroll away from a forgotten item or even a "plan B". Have fun and happy trails.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote