Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2015, 07:37 PM   #1877

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jay and Curtis I would be honored to be included to work with you guys on the ranch with the wiring or anything else that needs to be done. I worked with a contractor upstate NY when I was younger building houses and took to learning the trades pretty well. And I enjoy doing quality work, especially on electric. I'm not licensed but have had quite a few lively discussions with people that were after seeing what they think is "good enough to pass inspection" jobs that they have done! Didn't get me many attaboys, but I know what is right, not just ok. Almost thru the guy out of my yard when I had him finish the service to our house last year, but we finally came to terms after I called him on several things and made him call the inspector! He thought I was too particular about how to run the bx in my garage and tried to tell me it was against code to have a main breaker in the garage because the garage panel was a sub off the main panel ? I told him BS, if there was a fire in the garage I am not running 150' to shut power off in the garage! We get along now but the inspector asked me if I did the work in the garage and told me if I needed someone to sign off on something to call him, as he knew the electricians' work and knew he would never be as particular as I was in that garage! Bobby
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2015, 06:15 AM   #1878

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Coffee good this morning, sun is shining so another good start of the day in paradise.
Jay,
We will try to get there early to help also, still too far away time wise to promise yet, but when we get closer we will firm our plans up and let you know for sure.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #1879

Thanks for all the warnings about neck strain guys.....Really , I do appreciate it BUT
Being single now , the muscles don't get out of shape AND also there is no pain in my side when getting caught lookin' (and all the rest that goes along with it)!!!

I just "Be a Pirate on VACATION")
I'll have to get someone to take a picture of me with my jolly roger dew rag and one of my many hawiian shirts on !
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh:rofl :

Is it my turn to get a row of these????? ?
Just another day in paradise.
Skuh kuh khu kuh kuh kuh
Old 07-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #1880

Freightliner Owners Club
rvpopeye,
I still say you are funny, keep up the good work.
Frank
Old 07-07-2015, 11:16 AM   #1881

Bobby I have three sub breakers boxes in my shop.
I couldn't have lived with a system most electrician would want to install. (Not wired to the house though) (separate meter and all)

The 200 amp main is across the shop from the machine shop. Behind the Motorhome, so no running to it in an emergency. So I wired in sub panel breaker boxes for the machine shop where I can reach it quick. The put in another sub over by the lifts and welding area.
I wired all outlets with 240 volt so I could add a 240 volt outlet anywhere in the building just by dropping a sub outlet box off any 120 volt outlet box. ( my plasma cutter, powder coating oven and welder are 240 v ) The 110 volt outlets are wired off every other phase wire. That way if working with a bunch of drill and grinders I'm not using them all on one breaker. Overkill I know but I didn't want to rewire just for one added tool. And there are 240 v welder plugs strategically located in several places should I need to work on something I can't get in the welding section. Such as repairing the big trailer in the driveway. That outlet next to the front door came in real handy that time. Sometime I have too many projects to move so rolling the welder out to the work is a lot easier.

Outlets are every 5 feet all the way around the walls in the 60 X 50 X 16 shop. Even have outlets in the ceiling for drop down cords on rewinders.

We don't have Inspectors to satisfy but my electrician buddy came by afterward and was blown away by the overkill. All outlet circuits are wired in 8 gauge stranded, so I can put a welder or big amp tool anywhere in the shop in the future without rewiring.
Then I tapped off the 8 ga with 12/2 ga to the individual 120 v outlet plug in recepticals.
All my feeds are in conduits like commercial systems to make rewiring easier should I ever need to.
I did all the work myself, by myself. So it was a LOT of trips up and down the scaffolding. Couldn't have afforded to pay an Electrician to do what I did the way it was done.

Enough rambling about that.

Good Morning all! I slept in this morning because I was up late working on a project. It's always easier to work in a cool shop at night rather than in the heat. Woke up at 11:30 today. Even made a fresh pot of coffee.
We're about to get more rain. Go Figure!
And the yard needs mowing again.
I installed a birdbath for the cats yesterday.
This way the fat cat will get some exercise. I put it far enough out in the yard the cats can't sneak up on the birds too easy. And she'll have to run hard if she want to catch a bird. Evil Laugh!

So far it's working!
Old 07-07-2015, 03:48 PM   #1882

Winnebago Owners Club
Curtis - handy mans credo: nothing succeeds like excess. You have planned and built for virtually any contingency that could occur. I like your thinking and style.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:01 PM   #1883

Curtis
Balancing your load evenly across the legs is just good electrical practice.

I've done shows where the distro was lop sided and we blew transformers drawing off one leg only.....so I wouldn't call it overkill at all..
You did it right !!
I wish all the places I've set up were wired like that!
On some shows we had our own 200amp power distro panels and just clamped onto the mains where they dropped into the building panels ,
No below par wiring , worn outlets or breakers. (Yes breakers wear out , especially if they are used as switches for the circuit.)

It's sad to see what some "electricians" call good enough.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:55 PM   #1884

Freightliner Owners Club
Good Evening Gang,
Curtis,
I don't think that is overkill, just do it right the first time.
rvpopeye,
Those are not craftsman, they are just tradespeople, there is a big difference. I taught my apprentices that it only takes a little more time and effort to become a craftsman rather than just a journeyman, and after that it is a matter of pride instead of Good Enough.
Frank
Old 07-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #1885

Absolutely Frank.
I always went the extra mile when wiring my stages ( I heard one of my singers talking to a friend that was getting the back stage tour say that I was persnickety about wiring and even had a special way to wrap the wires! (like I was some kind of alien or something........hmmmmm maybe I am !) or house/campground/whatever wiring , especially breaker panels ....kind of looked at it as a work of art . AND inversely have seen some pretty tidy wiring in some of my friends houses and would tell them that the electric would probably never be a problem in the future.
I spent 2 years working with an old union master at a huge campground some years back and we had lots of fun ,he was persnickety too,,,,, we even had an old power company bucket truck to use .
Old 07-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #1886

Freightliner Owners Club
rvpopeye,
That's great, and the way you did it, the show wasn't interrupted by any wiring problems was it. I do that same type thing when I am packing my wheel bearings, I don't use a grease gun or one of those packing machines, just do it by hand like I've been doing for 50 years, just like I was taught back then. Only had 1 bearing failure, and that was due to missing a scheduled repack( my fault, I forgot) on a car hauler.
Frank
Old 07-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #1887

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Good Morning All, For our "rally" Just a thought for those that need to put requests in for the time off maybe we should nail down actual dates?
Terry - Of course you are all welcome any time. As I told you before, if I'm out on the road someone will always be there. Free camping.

DATE: July 1-4 2016 for the shindig @ Liberty Farms. I will be there setting things up by June 20th. Any and all are welcome to come early but I will put you to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
Well the 4th next year is on a Monday!

Jay,
I'll help you get the place together before hand. You're only 5 hours from me.

I've still got my hooks, climbing belt and rubber gloves. We'll do what we need, to set up this place for the Vets.

My Dad was a lifer in the Air Force.
Three Wars!
I grew up in the shadows of Heroes!
Curtis - We will have to chat once I get out there. The rough in for the RV sites almost as soon as I get to OK. Upped it from 6 to 12. Full hookups with 50amp service. 4 of them will have 5ers as housing for the trainees. As the program at LF grows I will need them anyway.

Anyway I want to chat with you about capacity, transformers and materials. With you being 5 hours away I suspect you and I will be seeing a lot of each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGlassMan View Post
Jay and Curtis I would be honored to be included to work with you guys on the ranch with the wiring or anything else that needs to be done. I worked with a contractor upstate NY when I was younger building houses and took to learning the trades pretty well. And I enjoy doing quality work, especially on electric. I'm not licensed but have had quite a few lively discussions with people that were after seeing what they think is "good enough to pass inspection" jobs that they have done! Didn't get me many attaboys, but I know what is right, not just ok. Almost thru the guy out of my yard when I had him finish the service to our house last year, but we finally came to terms after I called him on several things and made him call the inspector! He thought I was too particular about how to run the bx in my garage and tried to tell me it was against code to have a main breaker in the garage because the garage panel was a sub off the main panel ? I told him BS, if there was a fire in the garage I am not running 150' to shut power off in the garage! We get along now but the inspector asked me if I did the work in the garage and told me if I needed someone to sign off on something to call him, as he knew the electricians' work and knew he would never be as particular as I was in that garage! Bobby
Bobby - I'd be honored to have ya. Mi casa*es*tu casa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Good Morning Gang,
Coffee good this morning, sun is shining so another good start of the day in paradise.
Jay,
We will try to get there early to help also, still too far away time wise to promise yet, but when we get closer we will firm our plans up and let you know for sure.
Frank
Frank - Happy to have help anytime and happy to offer it as well. I only put the dates out this early cause I know some folks plan WAYYYYY ahead. Didn't want a conflict to get in the way of anyone coming. My independence day parties are a must go. Once you've been to one you won't miss another, unless you like peace and quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
Bobby I have three sub breakers boxes in my shop.
I couldn't have lived with a system most electrician would want to install. (Not wired to the house though) (separate meter and all)

The 200 amp main is across the shop from the machine shop. Behind the Motorhome, so no running to it in an emergency. So I wired in sub panel breaker boxes for the machine shop where I can reach it quick. The put in another sub over by the lifts and welding area.
I wired all outlets with 240 volt so I could add a 240 volt outlet anywhere in the building just by dropping a sub outlet box off any 120 volt outlet box. ( my plasma cutter, powder coating oven and welder are 240 v ) The 110 volt outlets are wired off every other phase wire. That way if working with a bunch of drill and grinders I'm not using them all on one breaker. Overkill I know but I didn't want to rewire just for one added tool. And there are 240 v welder plugs strategically located in several places should I need to work on something I can't get in the welding section. Such as repairing the big trailer in the driveway. That outlet next to the front door came in real handy that time. Sometime I have too many projects to move so rolling the welder out to the work is a lot easier.

Outlets are every 5 feet all the way around the walls in the 60 X 50 X 16 shop. Even have outlets in the ceiling for drop down cords on rewinders.

We don't have Inspectors to satisfy but my electrician buddy came by afterward and was blown away by the overkill. All outlet circuits are wired in 8 gauge stranded, so I can put a welder or big amp tool anywhere in the shop in the future without rewiring.
Then I tapped off the 8 ga with 12/2 ga to the individual 120 v outlet plug in recepticals.
All my feeds are in conduits like commercial systems to make rewiring easier should I ever need to.
I did all the work myself, by myself. So it was a LOT of trips up and down the scaffolding. Couldn't have afforded to pay an Electrician to do what I did the way it was done.
Curtis - You are definitely laying out the electrical plan for my shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Curtis - handy mans credo: nothing succeeds like excess. You have planned and built for virtually any contingency that could occur. I like your thinking and style.
Gordon - You do have to admire the cut of the mans jib do you not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpopeye View Post
Curtis
Balancing your load evenly across the legs is just good electrical practice.

I've done shows where the distro was lop sided and we blew transformers drawing off one leg only.....so I wouldn't call it overkill at all..
You did it right !!
I wish all the places I've set up were wired like that!
On some shows we had our own 200amp power distro panels and just clamped onto the mains where they dropped into the building panels ,
No below par wiring , worn outlets or breakers. (Yes breakers wear out , especially if they are used as switches for the circuit.)

It's sad to see what some "electricians" call good enough.
Popeye- Good enough is when is blast proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Good Evening Gang,
Curtis,
I don't think that is overkill, just do it right the first time.
rvpopeye,
Those are not craftsman, they are just tradespeople, there is a big difference. I taught my apprentices that it only takes a little more time and effort to become a craftsman rather than just a journeyman, and after that it is a matter of pride instead of Good Enough.
Frank
BINGO!!!
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:24 AM   #1888

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning All,

I sure hope I can make it over the fourth next year, sounds like this will be a blast and I can cook while ya all work. I can do some work too, but I think with all of you doing the electrical I will just cook.

Persnickety: I always thought this was a compliment. Still do. It means someone who bothers to do the job correctly. So maybe you all need to be the
"Persnickety Club". Good group to belong to.

I was talking with a Fellow one day at w--k and told him I thought Dr Schafer was "fussy" and the named doctor heard me and was a bit offended. I told him before he got offended he needed to know what I meant by fussy. This guy is a Cardiologist and I have watched him for years do his "BEST" always with his patients. I told him I liked him being fussy and it was a compliment, not an insult. He now doesn't mind me calling him fussy.

The weather here has been good even with the rain we have had. Corn is chest height or more in most fields and it doesn't usually get there for another month so I think it is all going to be early. Sure tastes good what we are getting from the store. I think our farmers are going to have a very good year.

Well, going to get busy cleaning and other stuff. Coffee was good this am and of course the relaxing. Hope you all have a wonderful day. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:42 AM   #1889

Freightliner Owners Club
Good Morning Gang,
Coffee good this morning, weather not so much. Lots of rain yesterday evening, some wind, was just starting to dry up. This morning cloudy and chilly
Lynne,
It is always good when a surgeon is "fussy". I wouldn't want one that isn't working on me.
Frank
Old 07-08-2015, 07:41 AM   #1890

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Must have lost my mind yesterday! Went out on the back porch in my pajamas with my coffee, looked around and saw a few weeds and things that needed trimming. Started at 7:30 am and before you know it it was 4:00pm and I was still in my pajamas with no shirt on, 9 garbage bags full of trimmings and had a hard time going to sleep as I look like a lobster, LOL! I hope I don't start peeling as I did as a young child! We didn't have much growing up and my Mom loved the ocean, so that's where we went most weekends. I was a fair skinned redhead, mmmmmmmmm, the only one in the family??? And I burned like crazy. Not so much now. Have a great day all! Bobby
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote