Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:56 AM   #1891

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Coffee good again this morning and weather not so much again, cool and rainy again. So no golf today.
Bobby, you have to watch that Lobster skin, it is dangerous. The days do go quickly like that when you are working on a project.
Have a great day all,
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 08:50 AM   #1892

Bobby, you are not the Lone Ranger. I too am nursing the Lobster look. Decided to move some rocks with the tractor Monday. Got out there early and though I'll put a shirt on later. Well, later turned out to be 3 PM. You'd think old guys like us would know better. << ME!

Rained again yesterday. Apparently we had some frogs that hadn't drowned over the last two months. Got almost 2 inches at my house yesterday in 6 hours. So far we've gotten 38 inches this year at my house.
I spent part of the day trying to drive into Fort Worth after tools. My pickup WAS CLEAN. Not Anymore.

Lynne, I prefer Fussy Doctors too! They are the only ones I trust.

Popeye, I spent my Career diagnosing Electrical problems on Distribution Electrical Systems for the Electric Company. Load Imbalance and poor neutral/ ground systems on customers equipment was usually the culprit.
I installed recording volt/ amp meters thousands of times on our "Point of Delivery" to prove to our Customers that they needed to find a (Cough) Competent Electrician rather than that Fence Jumping Wet Wire Puller!
Some of the PMI RCVM Recorders I used were so good I could see bad neutrals inside the building on the graphs when they turned some of their machines on. I once diagnosed a problem with the wiring on an overhead crane motor that was spiking their Computer circuits every time the shop monkey moved the crane. Their Wet Backs killed a lot of computers in their building before I got there and diagnosed the source of the voltage spikes. And we're talking Hundreds of Thousands of $Dollars$.
I've seen Million Dollar Systems turned to smoke!
The RCVM Graphs are exactly like a EKG graph at the Dr's office. Learning to read all those little bumps on the graphs took talent. Especially on 3 phase 277/ 480 volt systems. People would look at the graphs as I diagnosing the issues and be completely lost. They'd ask "How do you do that?" I always replied "Magic". And that's how I got the nickname at work. Those were the good days at work. Load Balancing and Harmonics were my biggest challenge to try and explain to my Customers.

Well, headed out to pick up some steel to put away for the trailer project. Don't have time to work on it, but I have an offer for some tubing that is supposed to be really cheap priced and I'm going to go grab it while it's there.

Coffee's Good for 3 days old!

Old 07-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #1893

Rexhall Owners Group
Curtis, it sounds like your career was what we called "meter electrician". Those were the guys with the most practical experience who were the first point of contact with the customers with problems. They had the tools and the know-how to usually solve their problem. I was a Distribution System electrical engineer. I was the PE who was supposed to know everything, who the meter electrician turned to when he was stuck. We had good times trouble shooting together. For a city boy, the worst were the dairy farm stray voltage complaints. When things were out of whack, and you had 5 volts on the ground connected neutral, and you slapped the stainless steel milker on bossies tender parts... Let me just say that she was mo-o-o-oved.
Bob
Bobb.25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:37 AM   #1894

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning Everyone;
Have had a bunch of good days here. No rain but the temperatures, although on the warm side, have been quite pleasant. Keeping busy watering the garden and trees.

Appear to be losing one of the cherry trees. No idea why as it bloomed very well and got a bunch of leaves but has just started dying. Fruit dried up and the leaves are turning brown. Going to leave it for a while and see what happens.

Getting ready for our motorcycle trip. Had the tent trailer set up to go through the "stuff" to make sure it is all there and in working order. Aired out the bedding and washed the sheets. Couple small repairs and today will repack the wheel bearings. Starting to get excited. Leaving Saturday morning. Taking the computer but not expecting to check in a lot. Have to pay a few bills while on the road.

They are rebuilding the road past our property. Thank goodness it runs at the back of the property. Not too much noise and I have been able to control myself from going out to watch them work and provide "expert" advice about the progress. Sure brings back a lot of memories.

Anyway out to the garage to finish polishing the bike and do the bearing repack.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:56 AM   #1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
Curtis, it sounds like your career was what we called "meter electrician". Those were the guys with the most practical experience who were the first point of contact with the customers with problems. They had the tools and the know-how to usually solve their problem. I was a Distribution System electrical engineer. I was the PE who was supposed to know everything, who the meter electrician turned to when he was stuck. We had good times trouble shooting together. For a city boy, the worst were the dairy farm stray voltage complaints. When things were out of whack, and you had 5 volts on the ground connected neutral, and you slapped the stainless steel milker on bossies tender parts... Let me just say that she was mo-o-o-oved.
Bob
Actually our Company did it bavkwards. First complaint they sent out a Troubleman. He was the basic check voltage, refuse cutouts and call for help department. Basic rudimentary electrical knowledge. He knew what it was the voltage was supposed to be, but often clueless if it wasnt normal.

Then they had Metering Techs. These guys were the ones that set the commercial 3 phase and or demand meters. They rarely got their hands dirty. If the voltage wasn't right they would call the "T" man. Then if it needed a Detective to spend time digging onto the Customers problem they called us.

The DOT'S. (Distribution Operation Technicians.) We were the the Customers " Finally, someone who will spend more than 5 minutes scratching their head and figure this out for me Department.

It was our job to figure out Feeder Balance, capacitive reactance, and Power Factor and Harmonics.

Funny but every T man thought he was the smartest guy in the Company and our job was a sinch. Until I whipped out my scientific graphing calculator and started doing Trig on it. Then they would all excuse themselves and go find a coffee shop.

When I retired I was one of three DOT'S that could still do the math. Supervisors didn't want somebody who actually had a clue in their Service Centers because most were B'S Artist. So they were slowly trying to phase us out and turn all technical work to Contractors.

I don't think we had an Actual Engineer in the entire Region that had any field experience. I liked the Engineering guys because at least we spoke the same language.
Retired 6 years ago and never looked back.
A lot if office politics in my job that I was never good at. But I was the DOT'S everyone called when they were stumped.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:20 AM   #1896

Curtis,
It is always hard to work for a supervisor that got the job because of their education and not their experience. Have had that problem many times during my career.
Frank
Old 07-11-2015, 06:41 AM   #1897

Heya
Another day in paradise. No clouds and high 85-90.But it will always be cooler at the lakeside.

I encountered a lot of audio guys fresh out of their college of choice.
Always a cinch to toss them a curve ball they couldn't hit or even see !

I had 3 years of trons then all the audio stuff was 30 years of pure on the road trial by fire. No substitute for that...... Do it a few thousand times and if you don't get it perfect every time , you'd be walking home talking to your lunchbox while the new guy is flying in. I gladly got my share of those fly ins too.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:00 AM   #1898

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning All,

Beautiful day out there and the coffee is good this AM. Fresh brewed because I never brew more than the one cup (cup and a half) every morning.

Going to see my niece from CO today. She is here for a wedding and I get to watch her son my Great Nephew. He is 11 months old and will probably run me ragged.

See you all later. Have a great day and Popeye, I need to come where you are cause that is the weather I like and what is not to like about water.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:38 PM   #1899

Lynne
Consider this an invitation , It IS really nice here,,,,,,at least till October , then all bets are off.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:26 AM   #1900

Good Morning Gang,
Coffee good this morning, Lynne, I also make 1 cup at a time. usually only drink 1 cup.
Beautiful morning , upper 60's and sun shining, but rain again this afternoon, oh well we had 2 days without.
Have a great day all,
Frank
Old 07-12-2015, 11:12 AM   #1901

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning All,

'Beautiful day here this am! Coffee good and having a family dinner today. Good times and spaghetti (home made sauce) so it will be delicious.

Enjoy your day, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:54 PM   #1902

Good Evening Gang,
Morning here was great, this afternoon not so much, it drizzled and light rain on and off, but the temperature went down to the upper 60's to low 70's. oh well, anther day in NE Ohio.
Lynne, hope that you had a nice family day.
Catch you all in the morning,
Frank
Old 07-12-2015, 10:25 PM   #1903

Good evening Frank,

Be thankful for it being such a pleasant temp. - We topped out at about a hundred today, with heat index around 105. Have to really want or need to be out in it.

I sweated enough yesterday so after church today I kinda chilled inside - did go down and do a little cleanup around where I'm working on my MH. Then rode over to property that my sister bought and cut down a pretty good size sweet gum tree that was close to the road where power company plans on running in power supply. Just laid it down for them. They can clean it up on a cooler day.

Don't envy you during the winter there, but a summer visit to your area would be nice - been following along with you guys but seem to never have enough time to reply.

Hope all is well - have a blessed day - pabell
Old 07-13-2015, 01:22 AM   #1904

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Goodmorning everyone! Coffee was very good today!
Popeye, enjoy the summer, and the view!
Lynne, The homemade ba-sgettie is the best! I make it here from time to time! Enjoy the family time!
Frank, the weather this year has been crazy all over! Cool temps in places, and hot in others?
Pabell, glad you could make it, and your progress on your roof is coming along great, and looks great also! Been lurking!
Terrys progress is amazing, and glad to see Piker is back at his siding project!
Ok, Bap, where are you?? We need pic's!! Hehehehe! Just Say'n!!
Rail!