Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2015, 01:38 PM   #2129

Winnebago Owners Club
Just got notice of the 33rd Golden Sweet Potato Festival on Oct 24. I love sweet potatos. It is only 2050 km from Yuma. Long way for a bag of sweet potatos.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2015, 03:42 PM   #2130

88* here , the day started out with 76% humidity and now 56%. Still glad to be on a lake. I (had) to row out to adjust a float line marking shallow water , took me a long time to get it exactly right.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CLAC disease.

What did the pirate say to the sweet potato......................arrrrgh, now Gordon has me thinking about ..
take 2.

What did the pirate say to the 1st mate with 2 black eyes ?

Nothing , he already told him twice ............
Old 08-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #2131
bap

popeye,,,you just aint right in ur head,,,,lol..gotta love dem pirate jokes,,,,,
i figured you would run out of them-----i see now---i stand corrected..
Old 08-19-2015, 04:49 AM   #2132

Morning all!

We did get some rain yesterday, not a lot, but enough to soak the place. 74 here now, back to 90 today, chance of thunder showers.

I agree on the making time go faster stuff. I guess one reason I am not retired is I have not missed much in my life. If I saw something I wanted to do, we did it. I've toured this country numerous times on bikes, raced off road cars for 10 years, dirt bikes, ATV's, snowmobiles, and even peddled my butt around for awhile. Not to mention RV camping, and in between it all raised 2 great kids who are making a difference in the world. I am a big believer in you never know what tomorrow brings. I worked very hard, and played harder. The retirement timer is more of a funny thing for me, its kinda cool to have it to the minute.... 1y,9m,0d,10hr,27m,31secs! But I may well move that up if we get a few more things done around here.

We built a new place. Unfortunately we started the project in 08, just before the economy went south. It was a 2 year plan that took 5 years. Costs escalated, and our old place depreciated. I'd like to get some or all of that problem paid for. We love the place, really nice to have it all new, and the way we like it, but we have some bills and a few finishing touches we want to get done.

Everyone have a great day! 16days, 8 hours, 13 mins and 27 seconds till we leave on vacation! Not sure where we are going yet, but we won't be late!

L.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:57 AM   #2133
bap

goodmorning ...crisp and foggy here this morning,,,,

Lloyd,im sure ya wont be late for the vacation..lol,,man im starting to need one,,
didnt get much done with the 63 yesterday,,,but the father in law and i got the new apple cider mill put together ready for the apples to get a little more over rippened,,mmm,mmm...aint nuthen better than fresh apple cider...

to all a great and safe day..
Old 08-19-2015, 06:14 AM   #2134

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Morning all,
Sorry Curtis about your friend, I know how ya feel When I was forced into retirement from health reasons I got 1-2 sorry to see ya go and that was after 28 years there. To bad
Coffee is good its chilly here today it rained all day yesterday,
Sorry its been awhile between chores at the farm and then drive into town too see my brother the days are over. They have him up and sitting a chair. He is in good spirits considering. They are talking about discharging him already yikes. He has 2 Hugh Veggie gardens that are just going to waste. There again so many so called friends that said they would come over to help out only 1 or 2 have stopped by to help out.
I am planning on staying as long as needed to help out on the farm. We have a great view of the lake. Still haven't had a chance to go fishing. I bet I will get him to go with now, the doc says no weight on his leg for 6 weeks. He has a old golf cart we can use to get him too the dock. He has a 24 foot pontoon to go fishing with.
The new Batteries are really working great in the MH. His place is on a major HWY and I see MH, 5th's and trailers going by all day long and I wonder if any of them might be on this forum.
Have had the 64 sitting with a For Sale sign in his front yard have a few lookers but no takers. Plan on taking her home today I also have a Dr appointment so will kill 2 birds with one stone, soda speak.
It just started to pour Raining I like the sound of it hitting the Aluminum roof and am getting sleepy from the sound.
Any one have any ideas about ants never have had this problem they are all over the inside of the MH. I have used Taro ant killer but they are still coming in. I bought a sprayer to use on the end of a hose for outside but haven't used it yet with all the rain. Mom used to call them sugar or grease ants. We have neither. Most of the cooking has been on the grill outside.
That's all I got, got to get ready to head into town. It will be weird to be in the S&B.
Thank you to those that have sent prayers for my brother very much appreciated.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:24 AM   #2135
bap

SPRITZ,soo very happy that ur brother is doing better...thats great news we have still been praying for him...

as afr as the ant go you can line a little bead of baking soda around ur counter tops they dont like walking across that ,,,,,,,around here everywhere we have a huge problem with what we always called piss ants,,,,tiny little red ones,,,----they are everywhere you go these day,,,,,we spray home defence around the outside of the s&b and it keeps them out...
Old 08-19-2015, 06:24 AM   #2136

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Gordon,
you always give us good, sound advise. I like your way of thinking.

My father has been retired for over 30 years and many years ago, he gave me this advise. You have to have a reason to get up every morning, doesn't matter what you do, but you have to have something to do. Sound advise from an old timer, he turns 89 next month, he is in the middle of remodeling a house that he bought this spring which included tearing out a wall, putting in a header and new drywall. He is doing it by himself.

Looks like a cool down is here starting tomorrow, 85* today and upper 70's to low 80's for the rest of the week. Sormed pretty bad yesterday evening, lost power for a few hours, boy are the inverters nice, turned the A/C off and the inverter on and never knew the power was off.

Have a Great Day All,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:53 AM   #2137

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning All,

Lloyd, what was the name of the retirement countdown app, I think I need that one.

Gordon, I also love sweet potatoes but didn't know they had a festival. That will have to be one of our retirement trips.

Got to get to work on the waxing, pics will follow when done. Three days countdown to camping weekend, can't wait! Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:06 AM   #2138
bap

FRANK your dad sounds like my best friend/father in law...he retired about that many years ago and is always working on something,,,,he lives accross the street from us and my son lives right next door to me,,,,my dadinlaw, always working his projects and helping my son with his projects and helping me with mine,,,every single day,,,he is 77 and out works everyone i know,,,---and his dad didnt collect his first unemployment check untill he was 98...lol,,,i only hope im in half the condition he is in when i turn 60...lol...
i agree you have to have something to do tommarrow to keep ya getting up everymorning,,,,,
well the dew has dried from aunt marie and the 8 deer that i have been sitting here watching while getting my hands loosened up are gone,,the 2nd pot of coffee is done so im gonna have 1 more cup,feed the dogs and horses and start grinding on the 63,,,
everyone please stay safe,,,but kick in some adrenalin from time to time,,,,its good for the soul...lol..
Old 08-19-2015, 07:18 AM   #2139
bap

DAG GON IT !!! GORDAN,,, I KEEP FORGETTING TO MENTION THE SWEET POTATO THING,,,,MAN I LOVE THEM ANY WAY YA CAN FIX,EM....I THINK I WAS THE FIRST TO MAKE SWEET POTATO CHIPS....---BUT THEN AGAIN WHEN I WAS A KID I THOUGHT I INVINTED PEANUTBUTTER AND JELLY SANWICH,,,LOL...

OOPS DIDNT NOTICE CAPS WAS ON...didnt mean to yell......lol
Old 08-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #2140

OK this is gonna be a long one , I've not had much time lately but today is a day off soooooooooooo.

Bap
"Ain't right" is a desirable trait for us musician types ,which is my excuse.
What's yours??
It can get out of control for the tron side of me though..........
"Bwaaaaahahahaha , Igor turn on the electricity now , full voltage !"

About the list of people required to pull off Terry's TV show...are you listening "Mr. Producer"? You know who you are , It WAS your idea , after all....

I was a touring sound system tech for over 20 years , so I'll cover that one. Eeeezy Peeezy

I also had to run the light show occasionally , like when the "squint" (show biz for a light tech) was in jail or some other reason not to be divulged......so that is covered.

I am very familiar with announcing and every other use for a microphone , plus recording a few "public service announcements" on my album called "CB Tunes".
so check off another one on that list.

The list of pirate jokes might run out later this month......or not !

I'm even going to teach you all how to sing "row , row , row your boat".....(the pirate version) before I'm through TODAY!!!!
Just another of my compositions ,

I actually made a living as a pirate ship captain for a summer in 2010.
OK , it was at a theme park , but the boss couldn't figure why I was so "authentic" ....hmmmmmmmmmmm???

1)I did grow up on the ocean.

2) Soooooo , I have friends that have big boats and actually do pirate things..(don't ask!)

3) It has been mentioned that it would be cool to see an RV with a pirate flag.......I do have a jolly roger flag that I fly on the rig , I used to have it on the radidio antenna going down the road ,,,,till it ripped the antenna right off the hood !!!!! I still put it up on my CB antenna sometimes while I'm parked.

4) Have you all seen the popeye toon called "Popeye Meets Sinbad"?
Well between ol' Sinbad and the Sea Hag ,,,some of it seems to have rubbed off.
Oh My GOSHK , Well Blow me down , and Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

Spritz
Great to hear about your brother's recovery progress.
Those pontoon boats are sweet , a bunch of 'em here on the lake are frequent customers at the dock gas pump. Bet that will put a smile on his face.

For ants.......I've been invaded by various types at different places where I've camped, be very glad you don't have the fire ants........

Try a 50-50 mix of boric acid (you can get it at Wally World in the pharmacy area ) and sugar with just enough water to dissolve it in bottle caps etc. , spread around the place where you see the ants traveling.
Refill when they dry up.

Also sprinkle some Borax (find it in the laundry isle) outside around the tires or anything that touches the ground.

I've heard good results with the Ortho Home Defense spray too.

NOW for the grand finale of today's post.
Singing along IS MANDATORY !
I don't care how bad you sound , actually that will make it sound more piratey...

Row , Row , Row Yer Boat across the ocean green.
Merrily , merrily , merrily , merrily.......

ALL TH' GOLD'S FER MEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!! AAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH !!!

(Repeat a minimum of 4 times ,,,, more after drinking ,,,,
and if you have musical training (like in grade school) singing it in rounds is also required !!!)

" That concludes today's broadcast , stay tuned for the next exciting episode..." " You may now all bow to my greatness"

"Bartender , break out another spinach!"

Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh kuh
Old 08-19-2015, 08:50 AM   #2141

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good morning All, Tim, great news on your brother . Bap, I'm with you and Gordon, sweet potatoes in any form . Lynne, we need pics of that shiny "new" MH. Popeye, Nice broadcast, you certainly liven up the place .
Old 08-19-2015, 09:03 AM   #2142

Winnebago Owners Club
Popeye - looks like you have the qualifications to run most of the commercials for us. Once we get the sponsorship in place you are the man!! glad you have a day off but I expect you have a fan club who wish you were working.

Here is another verse for your song, not necessarily pirate but nautical.
"Row, row, row your boat
Underneath the stream
Ha, Ha fooled you
I'm a submarine."

Looking forward to the next episode of Pirates Corner.

We used to use Comet around the landing gear and tires to discourage the ants. We changed to Ortho home defense spray as that seems to work as well or better. Easier to apply and it seems to last longer. Plus I sprayed up the landing gear and on the tires, springs and frame.

We had lots of sugar ants around our trailer but I started spraying the home defense on the brick works. We laid about 400 sq ft of bricks to augment the existing concrete pad. Spraying the home defense around has seemed to clean up the area and we do not see as many ants around. It very seldom rains in Yuma so the home defense seems to have a residual effect.

Lynne and Jerry - looking forward to the pictures of the polished and shined MH. Although it is a large job it has to be very satisfying to see the results of your labor.

Lloyd - Have a great vacation.

Frank - Amen on the need a reason to get up. While I was working I supervised a bunch of foremen. A number retired. 3 passed away within a year of retirement. 2 just did not get up one morning. They had invested their lives into being foremen and did not have anything to do when they retired. There was some speculation that the DW had poisoned them as they now were trying to run the house!! So I agree wholeheartedly that you have to have a purpose or reason to get up when you are retired.

The only difference I found between work and retirement is now I do not get paid. True I can pick what I want to do but there are still many tasks I do not particularly like but have to do. I still get up at 6am every day because I like the mornings.

Oops - trying to install an update on my Garmin and it seems like being on the web is using too much bandwidth so everyone have a great day. Back when the update is done.