Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2015, 09:24 PM   #2535

Hi All!

We are doing okay with the rain. Everything is very soggy, but we are fine. I have not heard of any flooding around our little town. Our 10th day of rain, a lot of rain today!

So, got the coach apart. Glad I hired this guy. He seems very good. This is back breaking work, access is horrible. At least if your 63! He appears to be 30 ish...

The bad news, besides the exhaust problem, my turbo is chowed. We bought this coach back in April, the dealer serviced it. Today as the tech was tearing it down, tons of dust came out of the intake!! Post the filter! Further investigation, the filter is nasty dirty, the dirt went in the turbo, seals are leaking and there is damage to the vanes/blades.

This is the 3rd or 4th problem we have had that is spelling out no maint, or poorly performed maint on the coach. Too long a story to go into but we were told by the sales person, they knew the owners for years, well taken care of etc etc.. Ugh!

Monday I will start exploring options, there is a rebuilder here in the Charlotte area who is nationally recognized as very good. Will call and see what a rebuild or exchange will cost. Its a VGR turbo on the 400 ISL, complicated stuff.

The good news.............. I'm going to have more Horse Power! And this entire thing didn't explode while we were on our trip. We caught it just in time.

L.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2015, 05:20 AM   #2536

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
morning,
coffee is tasting mighty fine this am.
Well we took the karkaddy in to the dealer where we bought it and they told us take it somewhere else .
The Bounder that we were looking at is still sitting in the same place and nothing has been done so I guess there is another dealer to add to the list not too be trusted. To bad, glad we didn't buy it.
The furnace just kicked on burr its too soon. Sorry to hear about all the rain your having better than snow .
We have replaced 10 of the 14 clearance lights and there were 4 with a different type bulb (push in and twist and blade type) the 10 installed are blade type so I had to go too 3 different Manards to find 4 more blade types. geeeeish. The new ones sure look nice hope to get this job done today but it is Sunday and there is Football to watch...
Hope everyone has a nice day.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:55 AM   #2537
bap

goodmorning java junkies,,...

Lloyd,,,,sorry to hear about the coach,,but like you said it could have been alot worse....nothing worse than breaking down on a trip..--also happy to hear your town didnt get flooded...

im sitting here watching the sun starting to peek out of the clouds--first time i have seen it in about 10 days,,and its going to warm up into the 70s today and all next week,,,,yippie ky ya !!!---now i can get the winnebago painted..

prayers still being sent to all that are having med. problems..

you all have a great day and stay safe !!!!

jeff...
Old 10-04-2015, 06:18 AM   #2538

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Finally quit raining, but we didn't have anything like the south is getting. Supposed to be in the mid to upper 60's.

Lloyd,
I used Michigan Turbo with success when I had to change turbo's on my 10 wheelers, but they were not VVT's. They were reasonably priced and good to deal with. Glad that you caught things before you broke down. This goes to show that yearly maintenance of the air filter is necessary on all diesel pushers.

Bap,
Glad that you survived the rain OK, and hope that it clears up enough for you to finish the painting that you want to do.

Lynne,
It is always hard to see the coach winterized and put up for winter. Then in the spring it is even better when it comes out of storage.

Tim,
I seem to forget what problem that you are having with the tow dolly. It sounds like where you bought it doesn't have a very good service department. It sounds like the Bounder is not meant to be, so things are telling you to walk away.

Have a good day all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:39 AM   #2539

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning All,

Coffee is good this am and it is cloudy and drizzly out. Around 48 today so not too cold yet. Sounds like several of you are ready to get done with the rain, too bad we can't send it out West where they are in desperate need.

Yeah Frank, this will be our first year of storing our coach so I think about 6 months of not being able to use it and pout. In the Spring I will be biting at the bit to get it out. At least where we are storing it I can go sit in it once in a while. Have to get my jollies where I can ya know.

Bap, I think we all are junkies of this hobby and for many it is a way of life. But what a hobby to be addicted to.

Tim, You're better off not getting that rig than getting a bunch of problems.

Lloyd, It seems some people who own these rigs either have no idea of what needs to be maintained, or they can't do it themselves and choose not to get it done. Sorry this happened but once you get it right YOU will make sure it stays right.

Keep safe all, have a wonderful day and see you another day. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:41 AM   #2540

Forest River Owners Club
Good morning, all. The coffee is really good this morning. We helped DD move yesterday. Wedding is next weekend... So, the coffee helped wash down the Advil, which I hope takes effect soon. I do not heal up at 62 like I did a few years ago. Glad you guys are getting the moisture there. It is really dry here. While getting DD stuff out, I found out the 2500 HD actually fits in the garage! Yes! Time to get up and move, and get limbered up.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-04-2015, 11:56 AM   #2541

Gulf Streamers Club
Hello all. Hope this day finds you healthy or healing. And happy!!! We made it back from our New Mexico, Colorado trip Friday. Parked MH at my sister's place. Already miss those cool nights. Should be 85 today, about normal for central Texas this time of year. Rebecca went home with our three dogs yesterday, I am staying around and visiting sister and mother and cleaning up MH some. A picture of MH in its place under the cover, beside the deck I built. And a picture out the windshield of MH, looking at sister pasture and across the road, a 50 acre pasture of neighbors. I "camp" here often.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100415 back at GV, after Colorado.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	108759   Click image for larger version

Name:	100415 windshield GV.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	108760  

ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #2542

Hi All!

So far we only got a little rain today,,, but the weather guessers are predicting 45 to 55 mph winds tonight. Not good with the ground so soggy.

Hi Lynne, no worries. Once I get this right we will take good care of it. Just stinks that we kinda got cheated. I trust people too much. Thought we had a well taken care of unit.

Thanks Frank, I may call them. Have a few local places to check here in Charlotte. It is in bad shape, here's 2 pics. It was also leaking some oil from the seals.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151004_162124_resized.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	108784   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151004_162146_resized.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	108785  

Old 10-04-2015, 05:02 PM   #2543

Lately I have had trouble if I add too many pics to a single post,,, so doing this on a second page..

Today, after cleaning up the mess ,,, gosh I found tools everywhere, I went to work on the coach. Thor,,, or Freightliner had a upright support exactly along side the turbo. Made it a huge hassle to get the turbo out, and was often in the way of getting to the fasteners.

This afternoon I took the plasma cutter to that sucker! Sliced it out of there clean as a whistle. I set it up now so it can be unbolted and removed. I really, really hope I never have to go back in here, but it will be easier now. I few pics. Ignore the the bolts, they are temp, and its all been painted now.

Now I just need a new turbo.................
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151004_154240_resized.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	108796   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151004_154249_resized.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	108797  

Name:	20151004_154956_resized.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	108798  
Old 10-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #2544

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Lloyd, Nice job , too bad you had to do it, but nice. Ron, good to be home safe and sound, nice view!.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:34 PM   #2545

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good morning, everyone!! Coffee is gooooood today!!
Lloyd, made me laugh, just what I would have done too!! (wack it out of there)!!
Ron, glad you made it home safe, too! MH looks good sitting there!
Tim, some things just are not "ment to be"!! (the Bounder) Hope your shoulder is better!
The videos from S.Carolina are very sad with all the water and flooding! Hope everyone is safe and dry!
Everyone have a great day! Rail!!
Old 10-05-2015, 04:43 AM   #2546

Morning all!

58 degree's here and still windy. It is still dark out, but it doesn't look like we got any rain last night. Too dark to tell if we lost any trees.

Rail, it was kinda ridiculous the way it was setup. If we wanted to put an upright in the way, and looked for the most impact we could make,,, that is where we would put it! Well, its no longer a problem.

Spoke the the tech last night, he suggested while its apart to adjust the valves and injectors. Its pretty clear this engine was neglected.

I don't have a rain gage, but I think in our little corner of S.C. we didn't get as much as others. Yes, so sad to see the damage, and peoples lives destroyed. Still struggling with the hurricane missed us.....

Have a great day all, between work today I need to find a turbo.

L.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:09 AM   #2547

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Coffee good this morning, mostly clear skys, and it is supposed to be near 70 for highs the next few days. Laundry day today, got to get everything clean for leaving(Rita's job, haha)have to finish everything up and make sure we have everything done for our absence, not sure if e will make it back next year.

Ron,
Glad that you made it back safely, sounds like you had a nice trip. Cover and deck look good, and nice view out the windshield.

Lloyd,
Nice job on the brace, I still think that the design enginners should have to spend a couple years repairing the things that they design before they are allowed to go on the job. Glad that the worst of the weather missed you. I have been thinking that we might head over to Atlanta from your place and head down I75 instead of down thru Colombia due to the heavy flooding, will discuss it with you when we get there.
Good idea to run the rack on the valves an injectors while you are in there, it may not need it, but it won't hurt and then you will know that things are set correctly.
See you in 11 days.

Mike,
I feel for you my friend. I guess that one just has to grin and bear it. It is better than the alternative. You also have to look at that we are still able to do what we do.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:14 AM   #2548
bap

Lloyd,,,,soo very glad you guys are ok,,,it is very sad about the lives lost to all the flooding,,,my prayers are for all the people that have been impacted by this storm..

everyone stay safe where ever you are..