Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2015, 09:51 AM   #2549

Thanks Bap, we did fine. Our biggest impact is,,, my sons hunting blind/tent thingie... I drove by the pond yesterday and it was in the pond. He says he staked it, but there it was. Traveled about 75 ft. Luckily it floated, as the pond is 13' deep. Actually looked kinda funny!

Columbia is a mess. They have very serious problems. Going to be awhile before that all comes back.

Frank looking forward to your visit! I would hope the interstates are back open and safe by then. You should not have any problems getting here, we are just at the edge of the really heavy rain, north is better.

My turbo, keeps getting even better Mine is a Holset, Cummins has significant influence over Holset,,,,, I think owns control? Anyway, Cummins is not allowing Holset to sell parts for my turbo model to the rebuilders. And also not allowing sale of the direct unit. In addition, there is a technical service bulletin for my turbo,,,, and the new improved one is just now available. Long story,,, but I guess I need to buy from Cummins. And they are expensive. Argh!

Should have one tomorrow.

L.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2015, 06:52 PM   #2550

Winnebago Owners Club
Good evening everyone;
Well we made it to the dealers.

Sorry to hear about the turbo issue Lloyd. I would be going back to the dealers and pointing out the errors of their recommendation. Perhaps they will do something but most likely not. I just like to put them on notice.

Looking at the positive side of it you should be getting a pretty prime unit once all of the repairs are done. Will last for a long time. Thanks for sharing your experience. I feel for you but have learned more things that will help me in managing my rig.

Glad you missed the worst of the rain. Hopefully all of the damage will be minimal and restoration quick and seamless.

Lynne and Jerry - winterizing the coach is always sad as is returning home after a weekend. It will be a very short time until you will be back on the road. Just hang in there.

Our trip down was interesting. They were predicting snow so we left Friday noon instead of Saturday morning. Had a very pleasant drive with sunshine into the teeth of a gale!! Sure knocked the stuffings out of the fuel economy. Close to 6 but no cigar. Made it as far as the Battlefords in Saskatchewan. Rained overnight. Nice sound of rain on the roof made sleeping very easy.

Unfortunately the rain continued during our second day of travel, sometimes quite heavy. Again a day spent driving into a strong headwind. Mileage is not improving much but getting a bit over 6. Stopped in Estevan Saskatchewan for the night and enjoyed another evening of rain. Discovered that once the DEF tank reads 1/2 I should start looking for a service station with the product. Unfortunately in Canada DEF is sold in bottles and not at the pumps. What a hasstle using a bottle to fill the tank! Some rain overnight.

Rain overnight but not raining in the morning. Off to the border crossing. Met a couple nice BP agents. Had to go through agricultural inspection and had no issues. Agent was full of curiosity about the coach and stacker so finally had to tell her we had to make some miles as we had to get to our next waypoint. Leaving the border the rain and wind (yes - a headwind) started up. Was pouring when at the service station. The days travel must have been downhill because in spite of the headwind the mileage is improving slightly. Getting about 6.3.

Made it to Fargo ND for the night. Although it was cloudy there were only a few showers overnight. Did the final leg to Forest City. Started out windy (yup headwind) but about halfway the wind died down. Made good time and the mileage got better. Last check was getting over 6.5.

Made a couple observations about driving a MH. It does not matter which way you go it will always seem to be uphill and definitely into the wind. Dont travel with me!

Tomorrow they are working on the coach and it looks like Wednesday will be in the bodyshop. Should be on the road on Thursday. Then on to Yuma.

Will be on the net for a couple days in the customer lounge so everyone have a great day. Talk to you tomorrow.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:07 PM   #2551

Hey Gordon!

Yes, this will work out. In the end I should have a good running reliable coach. But I am spending a lot more than the plan.

Didn't realize you had such a long run to your dealers. Three days driving! Hope they take good care of your coach.

I am jealous that your headed to Yuma. I would love to be. Maybe we will meet you out there one of these winters when I get done with this work thing.

L.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:50 PM   #2552

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpopeye View Post
Gordon
By Request

What is a pirate's LEAST favorite animal ????????????????

A BEAVERRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Thanks for the fix!
Old 10-05-2015, 07:56 PM   #2553

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Hey Gordon!

Yes, this will work out. In the end I should have a good running reliable coach. But I am spending a lot more than the plan.

Didn't realize you had such a long run to your dealers. Three days driving! Hope they take good care of your coach.

I am jealous that your headed to Yuma. I would love to be. Maybe we will meet you out there one of these winters when I get done with this work thing.

Just let me know when you are heading out west. Can give you the name of the resort we are in and put in a good word for a good spot.

L.
It is a bit of a haul. 1800 miles to the dealer from home and then 1800 to Yuma. Forms an almost perfect triangle as it is 1800 from home to Yuma.

Dealer has been treating us really well. Work is good and we get in when required and taken care of quickly.

It is also a nice part of the country to travel in. We bought the coach to travel and this is a part of it. Take different routes and see different sights.

Just wish the wind would blow from the back once in a while. We had a headwind while heading east. Want to bet we will have a headwind when heading west?
Old 10-06-2015, 04:30 AM   #2554

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Coffee good this morning, weather not bad. looking forward to getting out of here.

Gordon,
We must have the same type luck, it seems like I am always pushing a head wind also. In fact there was one spot near Erie, Pa that I was in 4th gear(5sp trans) with my foot to the floor and still loosing speed on a slight inline(not even a hill), must have been a 30 mph headwind. Hope that you get everything fixed up for you and that you don't run into any glitches. Unless something changes, looks like we will see you the winter of 2016/2017. Will probably be staying somewhere around Phoenix, because Rita's sister lives in Phoenix and they haven't seen each other in quite a few years. We will take a day trip over to Yuma to meet up when the time comes.

Lloyd,
That's a tough one, without seeing the specs on that particular turbo it could be that with something to do with variable blades or the clearances that make it nonrebuildable. I don't know this for sure, but it is possible. Anyways, when you get done, you will have a much better running and more reliable coach. I sure hope that the interstates are up and running, but I wouldn't bet on it. The way things look around Columbia, they might still be under water, I'm not going to worry about it until we get there, already have a plan B if I need it.

Have a great day all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:55 AM   #2555

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Morning,
Still on yesterday's coffee but still tasty.!!!!
I had a nice post yesterday but again the "poof master" got it. This only happens on this laptop. Maybe I should bring the desk top into the MH...
Is it just me or does he strike others?
I'm been trying to get the front stripe repainted and have it ready to prime and paint today depending on the weather. Its been in the making for over a year now. Mr. Procrastinator... I hope it turns out. Going for the spray can paint job. I've read and seen others that have done there's this way so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I know prep has a lot to do with the job and I got it pretty smooth.
We have the clearance lights just about done 2 left. They look really nice and a lot brighter than the original ones.
As for the Karkaddy one of the service teks going by us on a golf cart told the sales guy it has a bent axel I then told the guy it was that way when we bought it. It was barely noticeable then but has gotten worse since we have been using it. That's when he told us to take it elsewhere. The gal that sold it too us is no longer there... I think they should have told us that when we bought it.
The guy's at the shop we go too said no problem they can fix it. I trust them as they have been working on our three vehicles for years. They have a frame machine to straiten it out.
After cleaning all the windows and screens in the MH I thought I would try the glass cleaner on the ceiling on the MH boy I didn't realize it was that dirty. Its a foam spray. I sprayed it on and waited a minute or so and the dirt and smoke just wiped off. So when I get the Painting done I will have to finish the ceiling. Got too get as much of this stuff done because I know after my shoulder repair is done I won't be able to do it. I don't want too head south this winter with it looking like it doses.
I hope this posts and not the Poof Master
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:01 AM   #2556

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sometimes ***** happens!

Morning All! Sorry i've been lax on here, getting my stuff together. I think? Phone got cracked 2 weeks ago , had it fixed UNHUH, Still junk. Video went out on my desktop pc, had it fixed, still junk. Put a ad on Craigslist to get some help or get rid of the shop, hope someone comes and takes it, i'm tired and my pickup still isn't painted! Still hoping to get it done before we head back to Florida to see Frank and Rita! Frank hope you get out of that dealer with you wallet pocket still attached! Sally wants to know why I have 2 computers running, I have her laptop hooked up to my 22" monitor on my desk, lol! New boiler going in the rental house end of the week as soon as I get the tile done on the floor. Tenant is waiting to move in. Deal was she was going to paint she bought the paint and disappeared, I lost $500 for a job I was supposed to do that day and she said she'd give me the $500 if I painted , so I did! Worked for me! Hope everyone is healthy or getting there! Bobby
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:11 AM   #2557

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Boy Bobbie your having your share of problems, Hoping things work out for you. You know it will be done right because you did it. (Painting)
The Three Musketeers movie (original one) started on TV so I won't get anything done till it's over...LOL
Best of luck,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:44 AM   #2558

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Bobby,
That was Gordon at the dealer and Lloyd is working on his motor at home. I am doing good thank you, we are heading to a Rally in Elkins, WVa Thursday morning for a week. Then, heading to South Carolina to meet up with Lloyd for a couple days before we head the rest of the way to Florida. If you are going to stay at the park this winter, you need to figure out when and for how long and call them now, someone bought the park last spring and there was a waiting list for spots, just to let you know. Hope that you can get rid of the business, it will relieve a lot of the stress from you.

Tim,
Hope that you get the front painted ok, just take your time and don't try to put the paint down too heavy at once. Where are you heading for the winter? Also when are you going to have the shoulder fixed?

Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:30 PM   #2559

Winnebago Owners Club
Yup - so far wallet and pocket are still attached. Most of the work should be under warranty. They replaced the slide motors and installed a replacement awning. Tomorrow the coach goes over to CDI for some paint on the slide and repair and paint for old awning holes.

Then we should be on the road. Hope by noon but likely one more night here.

Starting to plan the rest of the route. Not meaning to jinx myself but hope the headw**d is not too heavy. Also predicted to r**n.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:26 PM   #2560

Hi All!

What a busy bunch we are! Everyone is moving, fixing, healing and building! You would think our average age is 30!

Gordon, I won't go back to my dealer. Sounds like you have a great one, awesome stuff. I love being on the road, and am a big believer its not the destination its the drive. So many roads, not enough time! You will cover 3,600 miles before you get to Yuma! Nice drive. When we retire, and travel, I doubt I will stay in one place very long,,, I love the drive, and finding new places. May the wind be at your back!

Frank, your site is ready! Hopefully the weather will cooperate,,, and we can have a campfire at your site! Yep, the roads will be, what the roads will be. Don't need to decide till you head out of here. We will figure it out.

I think my turbo,,, is just something Cummins is playing close to the vest. Spoke to a handful of people during my research, they said they expect Cummins to release it next year. Of course that's too late for me. Picked up the new unit this evening on the way home.

Tim, I've done some spray can paint jobs that came our wonderful,,,, and other not so much. Take you time, rushing won't help. Get nice even coats. Get 2-3 or more good coats on. Worse case,,,, once it dries a couple days, use a fine rubbing compound and put the gloss on! Before that you may even wet sand it with 1500 or 2500 wet paper,,,, then compound. It will look factory.

We had the opposite in our coach. The floor had a odd color. (ceramic tile) and we kept looking? One weekend Deb went in there and went crazy on it. It had been waxed,,, but wasn't cleaned first. She cut through all that and Taa Daa, we have a great looking floor!

Have a good evening all!

L.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:25 AM   #2561

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good morning, everyone! Coffee was very good this morning!
Bobby, good to hear from you, Hope everything works out with your store, Sell that sucker!! And get to enjoying your time, as they say "Life is short"
Lloyd, sorry about the turbo, but a good thing you caught it when you did! I agree also, on the "tune up", or, "Running the rack" while you are in there!
Gordon, sounds like the dealer "Lictnstine" sure that is miss-spelled, is taking good care of you! There are a lot of good ways to get to Yuma from there, have you cut down thru Amarillo, south thru Clovis, and on down thru Roswell, on "70", thru Ruidoso, Alamogordo, Las Cruses, (stay on "70" right thru town) and it will dump you out right on I-10 west! I love that route, so peacefull, no traffic, and Hondo valley is so beautiful this time of year! It is all 4 lane now, and there are quite a few nice CG along the way!
Tim, don't forget to copy your post before you hit the "Submit reply" box, that way if it go's "Poof" you can re-post it all with out losing it!
Everyone have a great day, and safe travels! Rail!
Old 10-07-2015, 04:40 AM   #2562

Good Morning!

53 here, should be a sunny day. We have no rain in the forecast for the next 5-6 days and great fall temps. Looks like Columbia and lots of S.C. is starting to dry out. They have a long ways to get back to normal. Lots of events around here to help them. Water bottle collections, etc as everyone pitches in to help. Columbia lost their reservoir system, the dams failed. If the plumbing was working, they have little water to pump.

Rail, yes we are going to go ahead with that work. Will get back on it Friday, but I expect it will take till Saturday to wrap this up. I then hear I have to take it to Cummins to have the turbo calibrated. They do it via the computer, it needs to be synced with each engine. I will need to make an appointment for that.

Have a great day all!

L.