Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2015, 04:45 PM   #2801

Forest River Owners Club
Good evening, all. The coffee was great this morning. It started raining about 9:30 AM, so we put things away and took some time off from hosting duties. I am writing this from Bob Evans. (Still raining.) Stopped by the S&B to perform some chores, also. We have a scout group coming in this weekend, and customers have been calling in about camping this weekend. I would rather be busy.

Glassman, I wish I was there to lend a hand when you need it. It is too bad you cannot hire good help. The Dakota project is cool. We could start a whole new thread on insurance companies...

MikeB

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #2802

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flaggy , had some guy answer the add saying he was some type of Project manager for a company that did big school window jobs and was a carpenter, he was collecting unemployment and wanted me to pay him $25 an hour off the books so he could keep collecting. Told him I didn't think that was going to happen, but told him to come give me a hand putting 2 storefront doors in so I could see what he could do, he never showed up or called, LOL! Bobby
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #2803

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I remember some years ago my oldest brother working for a food service company, it was Union and my brother made like $17-18 an hour plus 4 hours ot, he brought in 2 huge coolers in his car and on breaks and lunch would fill them to take home . They went on strike over benefits, he was out for like a year, baffled me how they paid him and the others unemployment while out on strike, plus strike benefits of $200 a week !
He felt so opressed, I laughed at him when I saw a letter from the company that offered them what they wanted but they had to pay 20% of their health as everytime one of them got a scratch they would go out sick or on comp, he got mad when I told him that was reasonable considering the pantry he had accumulated stealing food from the company all those years, I mean I like Hot Sauce but would never keep all the crap he collected. Looked like a pantry for a household for 12, or one of those extreme couponers! We don't talk much anymore, lol! Bobby
Old 11-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #2804

Bobby
Very impressive metal work. I have trouble with that kind of stuff , wood is my medium , and wiring . I used to hang out at a friend's shop hoping that his metal skills might rub off on me , naaaaaaaahhhhh.
Funny story about your applicant , I think an audition was very reasonable , especially after what he thought his "skills" were worth !! Hope you find someone qualified to help ya soon.
I'd say you're way better off that he didn't show.,

Ron
I agree with Frank , I always use the pressure regulator as a precaution in spite of the reduction of flow. RV plumbing can be very fragile , my old 76 Sportscoach actually had 5/8" copper plumbing , that was sweet !

The warm weather is here too , days in the 60s all week and no rain till tomorrow, but on Sunday , back into the high 40s. Next week is going to be a carbon copy . Not bad for November in Maine....I'm sure we'll pay for this when winter finally hits us.

I'm still boondocking in the truck repair lot waiting for a opening between big rigs to get my brakes put in. Getting lots of other stuff done as well as prepping the rig for them (saving me a few hours labor too),,,,,and spending time out in the country is a bonus.
I go in and watch them work on the trucks when I take a break from my projects , Fagettaboutit , most of their tools are too heavy for me to even lift off the bench !!!

....gotta get some orange though , hunting season for out of state-ers started this week

At night I exercise the Honda 2K and watch TV and am on the laptop catching up on the forums.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:19 PM   #2805

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Popeye, I still have my 600 foot pound torque wrench, it's about 4 1/2' long! Had to buy it to rebuild the Cummins in my old Pete. Sally calls it my casket because it is in a black plastic case and she was so mad I had to buy it just for that motor , she told me she would put me in it if I lent it to anyone, LOL! I knew a few people that had them but they wouldn't lend it to me, so I bought one. Don't think I ever used it again, that was 20 years ago! At the time I ask the guy on the Snap-On truck how much they wanted, their price was $1885 and didn't come with a handle, the handle was a couple hundred more!!!!!!!!!! The one I have is a OTC I think it was like $550 or so, boy Sally would have beat me to death if I bought the Snap-On one,LOL! Bobby
Old 11-05-2015, 10:19 PM   #2806

Bobby
yeah , they have a few of those here , and the Snap On rep dropped by this afternoon,,,,,,,,,,,to pick up his monthly payments from all the mechanics .
Old 11-05-2015, 10:19 PM   #2807

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good Morning Everyone! Coffee good as usual!!
Bobby , the right helper will come along! The Dakota will look great with a fresh paint job, for sure!!
I have sent out two emails for more info on two different MH's, not a response yet? Oh, well!! It will all fall into place when it is the right one!!
Everyone have a great day! Rail!
Old 11-06-2015, 04:30 AM   #2808

Morning all!

64 this this morning, more rain expected.

Nice job on he Dakota Bobby. You may find it cheaper to get it painted in Florida.

I still w--k, have a group of people who w--k for me that are paid really well, in jobs that most would consider great jobs for a major company with good benefits. Every year, 2-4 of them are let go. Cause they just can't find time to actually do the work. To busy with excuses. Makes me glad I'm near retirement, work ethic's are a thing of the past.

I vote regulator also. We had a bad experience 3-4 years ago, accidently left my regulator in a campground during a overnight stop over, next night middle of the night, POW, the pressure blew a fitting apart. Luckily it was the last night of the trip, we shut off the water and went home next morning.

Have a great day all!

L.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:23 AM   #2809

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Coffee good again this morning. Record highs again today, then starts to cool off a little tomorrow. Will be in the low 80's next week. Enough rubbing in, sorry guys, couldn't resist. With all of the family down here(the other campers in the park), I don't get restless, but the rest of the year, after we see the things that we want in an area, I get the itch to move.
Ron,
Glad that you got the water line fixed and are back in business.
MikeB,
Hope the rain lets up and you get to enjoy your day.
Have a great day all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:54 AM   #2810

Gulf Streamers Club
Goodmorning all. Coffee/cocoa good this morning. Beautiful day starting here. 60 last night, going to 70 for the high. Scattered thunderstorms. Just for full disclosure here, the water line blew because the installer put in the wrong hose.. Not rated high enough psi. That installer was of course me. New hose is 120 psi. This is a flexible hose that connects the water pump to the shore water line. I do have a water regulator that I use when camping. MH is in its stall at my sister's place. Today wife Rebecca joins me for our birthday celebration of my mother's 96th birthday. Lots of family and friends will be stopping by today, Saturday, and Sunday.

Have a great day all.

ronspradley/rebecca
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:29 AM   #2811

Forest River Owners Club
Good morning, all.

Around 60 degrees here, and the coffee is good. The sun is shining today. Friday's are my busiest day, so I need to man the fee booth late afternoon/early evening. I need to clean the booth to get rid of the Asian beetles. We replenished the wood supply before the rain yesterday.

All of your comments about work ethics are right on target. I noticed the same thing in public schools before I retired July 1. Now, after leaving, I get calls wanting my help with specific tasks.

Great work on the Dakota project, and interesting stories to go with it.

Time to stop watching car shows and do something.

MikeB

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #2812

Gooood Morning All.
If you've been watching the News about Texas you've seen we had tornadoes all over last evening. They missed us by about a mile on either side. Melissa was at Church yesterday helping out and it lifted just South of the Building and then touched down again about 3 miles north of her. Whew!

It's funny how the major storms blew in on either side of me here in the shop. The Storm Chaser Alarms were going off for about an hour and a half.

But, that's Texas.

Bobby, Your little Dakota brings back memories.
I built a slammed 74 GMC Short Wide Bed back in the 80's that I cut the top off. Managed to make it so the old hard top would go back on. 400 Horse Corvette engine with all billet pulley's and everything. Even built it with a tilt hood and bed. Was a hoot to drive but hard to manage without the tires breaking loose until I got 4 feet of railroad track in a trade and installed it over the rear axle.

Pressure regulators are a must in some campgrounds. You can never count on the local utilities to manage the water pressure very well to some remote campgrounds.

Hope everyone is healthy or getting healthy.

Prepare for a tougher than usual Winter. I worked outside all my life and have seen these weather patterns before and they are always nasty when the patterns are like they are this Fall.

Headed to South Texas next week to cut my firewood for next season. I've got enough now to hold me through the rest of the year.

Well, lunch is ready so I've got to sign off!

God Bless!
Old 11-07-2015, 06:06 AM   #2813

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good Morning everyone, hope all are well today! Just a little trivia on our Dakota Convertible pickups. The Dakota was the first pickup since the Ford Model "T" to be produced, there were approximately 2842 1989 year built, 909 1990's and only 8 1991's fullfilling Chryslers contract with American Sunroof Company(ASC) . Sally bought hers new as we drove by Security Dodge in Amityville, NY, they had sent it out to have American Racing wheels and wider tires put on it and lowered it with blocks in the rear and some Genius(NOT) lowered the front by cutting the front coil springs! Didn't ride that great but it was a fun truck. We had them add A/C and cruise to it at the dealer trading in our loaded 1988 Ram Van which had only 42000 miles on it. A few years later I bought a 1989 so we could have twins, bought it on E-bay in PA for $2200, it is waiting patiently for my attention, although I stole the rear end out of it for Sally's truck as in the accident the rear housing on her truck got bent and pushed the driveshaft into the transmission blowing the plug out of the yoke! Amazingly the tire never went flat and it didn't hurt the transmission! I have a Ford 8.8" 3.55 Posi rear to put back in mine when I get a "RoundTuit". A few years after that I had a opportunity to buy one of the 8 1991's off E-Bay but Sally didn't want tripletts!? I think it would have been cool to have all three years of production. That is what happens when you live on a 60'x100' lot, never enough room for toys, grrrrrr! Have fun people! Bobby
Old 11-07-2015, 08:12 AM   #2814

I hear you Bobby! I have 4 acres and if it wasn't for the wife, I'd have it full of toys, and future projects. I have enough projects out there now for 100 years so I will never die. So my shop is stuffed!

I knew Dodge built the Convertables but never had the coins to buy one. Was going through a very expensive divorce at that time.

I enjoyed driving my pickup with the top off. It always drew looks. Even caused a few fender benders from rubber neckers.

I always wanted to build a rag top for it, because the hard top sat in the bed when off and took up some usable space I wanted to carry my racing bicycles. Couldn't carry both at the same time. Wish I could find some pictures of it, but the Ex Burned all my pictures I had of my racing and custom builds when she left, out of spite. (Pre Digital Era)

Well Good Saturday Morning Gang! It's NASCAR Race weekend out here in North Texas, so no going to breakfast this morning, and our trip to Church tomorrow is going to be a long way around. the Police close down all Highway traffic around the Track inorder to route all the Race Fans into the Complex. So if you live on one side of it and work or have life on the other side you either go around by 20 miles extra driving or pay to drive through the race track parking lot then argue with the Lot Geninus's that you are only passing through. No Exception on Race Weekend.

It's very frustrating because you have to drive the back roads with all the other locals through residences and Country Lanes who are all doing the same thing. So it's backed up at every intersection. And of course the Police don't worry about those backed up intersections.

And God help you if you are trying to drive a Big RV Motorhome past the Racetrack.
They cannot fathom someone driving an RV past the track and not spending $1000 to watch the Races and enjoy their expensive RV parking. $350 a day!

Worst part about these race weekends is all the High Rollers all fly into Alliance Airport and take the Helicopter to the Track. So it's helocopters flying over for hours while your trying to sleep 15 miles from the Track.

I tried to be a NASCAR Racing Fan, but gave up because I live near too close to the Track, and between the cost to get in and inconvience to the Locals it has really soured my enthusiasm. NOt to mention the track lighting floods the Coutry for miles. (Remember I'm 15 miles from there.)

But we've got a nice Road Racing Track about 25 miles North of us that is a lot more low key and convient. Fun!

Oh well, I fell better getting that RANT out!
With that, ya'll have a nice day.

Oh, almost forgot. The Rain is going to miss the Race Track so it will be full all weekend with drunks on the roads all hours of the day and night!