Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #3235

Forest River Owners Club
Good morning from the Midwest, gang. 26 degrees here this AM, and the coffee was great. With the weather forecast showing warm temps, we may delay winterization for awhile. I guess we need to finish up Christmas shopping today. I am not sure it will ever be done! Great job on the spreadsheet mods, MK. I fixed a weird wind noise yesterday on the fiver. We thought it was the stove vent flap, but it turned out to be a side panel banging on the slide out mechanism in the wind. I used wire ties for a fix. New neighbors in a class C next door from North Carolina. Shorter ford e van chassis, with no slides. Seems like it would be claustrophobic for two people, but they even had another couple in for dinner last night. Hope all is well with everyone.
MikeB

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2015, 09:51 AM   #3236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocritter View Post
Hi all y’all,

I awoke at 3am as usual for my morning nature call, turned on the space heater and it was working fine when I went back to bed. I awoke for the day at 5am to no power. I didn’t want to annoy my neighbor by messing with it outside at 5am so I plugged a long extension cord into an adjoining unused power station and was able to make my coffee and fire up my space heater. I imagine the problem’s something simple, probably a worn out 30amp connection or something like that. Problems that crop up out of the blue are nearly always something simple, or perhaps I should say obvious. Simple or obvious, whatever, there’s always something with these old RV’s to provide a challenge.

A few more days and I’m off to LA in my Caravan to spend Christmas with my daughter. The timing of the drive is such that I’ll arrive in downtown LA around the afternoon rush hour dog-tired from already driving 850miles, heavy sigh. Ah well, c’est la vie! It’ll sure be nice spending Christmas with my daughter.

BTW Tim, when I first ran my RV on the interstate during my 2013-14 Grand Western North American Tour and Shakedown Journey I’d replaced the shocks but hadn’t done anything else. For the remaining 5, 217 miles she ran fine but I’d always get hit by a push/pull from passing semi’s. Cross winds could be tedious as well but weren’t a severe problem. This past year, before my 875 mile drive from San Marcos TX to Sierra Vista AZ, I replaced the bushings in the sway bars and added rear suspension airbags to help compensate for spring wear. It all made a huge difference! No more push/pull from passing semi’s and even though I ran into some especially severe cross winds in western NM and eastern AZ the RV was still easy to drive even at 70-75mph. I realize you have a GM chassis so you may have some different challenges from mine but just be aware that you don’t have to put up with them, they are all fixable.

Steve

I didn't remember to say welcome to you and the other Steve. But I'm glad you are part of the group. I get so busy sometimes I can't keep up with the pace on this thread. I write a lot of technical how to's on other Forums that keep my computer time tied up. That and the S&B and Big Girl remodels I've got going on at the same time.

Being a retired Electrician and CLAC'er I've gotten into the habit of carrying spare breakers and RV outlets in my tool kit for the Campgrounds I stay at. Invariably I always get spots that have bad/ weak breakers or broken outlets. SO, I change them out when they start tripping on me. Some Parks don't appreciate it and some do. If they get snotty about it I will re install their bad junk, if I can, before I leave. Otherwise, if I like the Campground and the maintenance guy is friendly, I will just leave it and replace my stock next time through a home improvement store. Kind of a Pay It Forward thing for me.

Isn't it amazing how much better a big rolling box does when the suspension is tightened up? Went 4 wheeling in Moab some years ago and let a friend who went with me drive my Class A (AKA "Big Girl"). He couldn't keep it on the road. Guess I had just adapted to the driving quirks over the years. Well, once we got there I slid underneath the Big Girl and found that the steering dampener was loose. as in, almost falling oft loose.

From the factory the thing bolted to the left side leaf spring "U" bolts and had wobbled the dampeners mounting nuts loose. Ruined the "U" bolts. SO, I swapped the ends of the dampener around to the other side and it drove home like it did when it was new.

Good to hear that everyone's Medical check ups are coming out positive.

Good News for the Holidays!
Wish we were able to hit the road but maybe by Summer I'll have the Big Girls remodel done and we can get out in it again. I did get more progress done on my new Motorcycle carrier.
Should be able to take the big bike now and still haul a Towed!

So with that, If I don't check in before Christmas, Ya'll have a Good One and God Bless!
Old 12-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #3237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocritter View Post
Hi all y’all,

I awoke at 3am as usual for my morning nature call, turned on the space heater and it was working fine when I went back to bed. I awoke for the day at 5am to no power. I didn’t want to annoy my neighbor by messing with it outside at 5am so I plugged a long extension cord into an adjoining unused power station and was able to make my coffee and fire up my space heater. I imagine the problem’s something simple, probably a worn out 30amp connection or something like that. Problems that crop up out of the blue are nearly always something simple, or perhaps I should say obvious. Simple or obvious, whatever, there’s always something with these old RV’s to provide a challenge.
I checked out the 30amp connector and it was a worn out connection that had overheated my plugin until it failed. I replaced my plugin but will have to wait until Monday to get the RV parks connection replaced. This has happened before at another older RV park, a PITA but in the grand scheme of things no big deal. Usually I plug into a parks 50amp circuit (assuming they have one) with an adapter. I don't ever use more than 30amps but the 50amp connection is usually a lot more solid than the 30amp. This time I dragged the cord over to an adjoining unused power station and connected there.

Being a full-time RV bottom feeder (as in limited budget) I've learned much in the past 2.5 years. Fortunately, over my lifetime I've owned six homes, five of which were fixer-uppers so most problems are familiar to me.

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:49 PM   #3238

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Afternoon;
Finished plowing our yard and decided I was having so much fun I did the neighbors driveway and yard as well.

Now off to our daughters for the first of many Christmas dinners. I just wish the extra weight would go to my A$$ instead of my mid section. Going to be on a diet and an exercise program once we get back to Yuma. Could leave the tractor in the garage and shovel by hand for exercise but that would not be as much fun.

Have a great afternoon and evening.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:29 PM   #3239

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
GOOOODEVENING,
Sitting here watching the debate, I'm cruising the channels looking for the Football games and came upon the debate. I started this @ 8:11 so we hope it don't take too long.
Had a good day didn't do much until late afternoon. We went out too see if we could locate the leak.
We think we did, Its the radiator Joe got in the doghouse and starting tightening the hose clamps, some which needed to be replaced, hoping that might be it.. He wants to use a stop leak product and then head to Quartzsite, I don't like the idea of going this way, his dad said to use pepper that he has used this method in his younger years.
To replace it would be the correct way but I didn't count on a 8-1,000 dollar repair bill.
Well the Pizza just got here so stay tuned Chapter 2,

Merry Christmas,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:16 PM   #3240

Good luck with the repairs spritz hope it's just a clamp or or hose they are usually cheaper than a whole radiator
mkohler30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:19 PM   #3241

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry to hear about the issue. Quartzite will not be cheap to get anything fixed.

I would tend to avoid the use of stop leak or pepper or any of those things unless you are planning on replacing the radiator. Takes an awful lot to flush that stuff out.

If it is a pinhole in a core tube I have had some success with taking a needlenose pliers and pinching the spot that is leaking. Since that happened I have always put a metal window screen in front of it to keep the debris off of the road from hitting it. Now days they seem to be sanding with ever coarser material so the road is covered with possible deadly missiles.

Just returned from our first of many Christmas dinners. Ate way too much and am still in agony. Would go to bed but scared to. If I try to lay on my tummy I will inevitably end up on my back. Weebles wobble!!! LOL
Old 12-19-2015, 11:07 PM   #3242

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good morning, everyone! Coffee was good this morning!
Well just had a post go poof!! It just locked up, in the middle of typing, clicked the mouse a couple times, poof!! Everything gone!!
I will try this again,
Tim, stop at a local WalMart, buy some extra hose clamps and a bag of wire tie's! Inspect all of your hoses, where the clamps are, as sometime's the clamps will cut or pinch the hose, causing a leak! If that is the case, cut off the hose a little bit, and put back! Double clamp all of your hoses, at least the one's you suspect that might be leaking! The wire tie's will just come in handy for all kinds of things! Make sure none of your hoses and wires are rubbing each other, and tie them up tight! If it is your radiator leaking, the pepper thing will work, or stop leak, as a temporary fix, to get you to a radiator shop! Have them pressure test it, and if needed, do a re-core! Many good radiator shops out in Az.!! Go figure? Don't be shy to negotiate a better price, as some will do that and some will not! Does not hurt to ask! If you can make it to Quartsite, all the better, as it will give you time to take it out yourself, and shop for the best price shop! Hope this helps!!
Curtis, good to hear from you! Keep on Clac'n!
Gordon, Stay warm, have fun plowing!!!
Everyone have a great day!! Rail!
Old 12-20-2015, 05:33 AM   #3243

Good Morning All!

30 degrees here, no clouds.

Tim, sure hope it turns out to be something simple. Hoses or clamps etc.. I agree, unless your replacing the radiator, you may regret the sealers come summer. They plug/block stuff you don't want plugged. If your thinking fix yourself....... is there a Harbor Freight store in the area. They sell a cheap pressure tester.

Gordon, the snow sounds like fun. You have the perfect plan..... 2-3 weeks of it and then back to Yuma!

Rail, did you see this one......

1996 Safari Sahara Motorhome

This one looks nice,,,, but no price...

1999 Gulf Stream Tourmaster Motorhome

Our coach isn't bad to drive, but I would like it better. I may try one of those stabilzers. The wind does lick it around, and its hard to relax when all that is going on. I may add it to my spring list of things to do.

L.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:18 AM   #3244

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Morning,
Currently 57 degrees,
Still very windy this AM I can hear it outside of the MH There is a dog across the driveway that has been barking all most non-stop since we got here. I guess the guy's babysitting the dog. I am not sure how he can't hear the dang dog.

Made a pot of Dunkin Donuts brand coffee yum My favorite. Slept straight thru til 6:45 today, that's a first in a long time.
Going to go with the Barr's Stop Leak, to try and get us to Quartzite where we will have lots of time to take it out and take it somewhere to get it fixed. Any one going out there that needs something to do your more than welcome to help out...
Still putting things away, I'm waiting to find the kitchen sink somewhere!!!
Pizza was really good last night, had Red Velvet cake for desert.
That's about it for now,
Thanks everybody for the tips and suggestion's
Take care and drive safe,
Merry Christmas,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:56 AM   #3245
bap

goodmorning folks...
tim,,,i sure hope all works out easy enough!!!

well 1 more cold day here in east ky,,--getting ready to leave and go finish up the roof job i started yesterday,,,and yes terry im sure glad its metal...l,,,,i really hate shingle jobs..---i have never found anything fun at all with shingles...lol!!!!
..well my friends have a great day stay safe ..
the frost should be melted off by the time i get to the job site so catch ya all latter..
...bap/jeff
Old 12-20-2015, 07:46 AM   #3246

Tim, you can borrow a radiator pressure tester from O'Reilly AP's. That was how I finally traced down The Leak From Hell in my Dodge Caravan last Christmas. Amazing how something so tiny could cause so much trouble! Maybe if we meetup in Quartzsite I can help you with your problem. I've had enough help from others on this board that it's time to pay it forwards.

BTW I've been a shade-tree mechanic for over 50 years and always carry a good set of tools with me when I travel (you never know!).

Steve
Old 12-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #3247

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning Coffee Gang from MI,

Coffee was great the last few days and it is 26 this AM. BURRRRRRR Supposed to be 60 by Wednesday, we will see.

Had a great quick trip down to Peru, IN to see the Nieces, great Nieces, and great, great Nephews. Went bowling Fri night for Eli's BD (turned 6) and then breakfast Sat morning with everyone. It was a nice trip.

Daughter and I are rolling out kolache today. Our version of it anyway. Look like cresents, are pastry, and filled with nuts. Good stuff. I have around 200 of the pastries rolled into balls just waiting for her to arrive to roll out, fill and cook. I've been imagining doing all this baking in an RV oven and I don't think I will be able to do this volume. May have to try though.

Less than a week to Christmas and I think about our military and how they will not be home and often not safe. My prayers go out to all our soldiers wherever they are and I thank you for our Freedom.

Everyone have a great day, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #3248

May the farts be with you!!!

Hi all y’all,

I was so worried about spritz (Tim) and his troubles that I forgot about the fact that I’m enjoying another beautiful sunny Arizona day! I’m sitting here planning my day. I may go out clays shooting with a friend later on but he hasn’t called yet. I’m really looking forwards to Christmas in LA with my daughter later this week.

Come next month and February it’s back to work on my RV. I have a few corrections to make regarding minor issues I noticed on my recent trip to Arizona. It’s Mickey Mouse stuff mostly like putting in a high volume thermostat and finally hooking up the hoses to my new heater core. Replacing the fuel pump is a job I’m definitely not looking forwards to.

Thursday afternoon at 1:30 I went to a movie. There was already a line started for the 7:30 showing of Star Wars. It was all I could do to keep from shouting out MAY THE FARTS BE WITH YOU!!! I guess what my late wife said is still true today, you can’t take me anywhere.

Some very good news, I found a good pizza place here in Sierra Vista. It’s not Home Run Inn (my favorite Chicago area pizza) but Vinny’s New York Pizza is damned good!

Steve