Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:22 PM   #3249

Forest River Owners Club
Good afternoon, fellow RV enthusiasts! Low in the 40's here this morning. The coffee is tasty. It appears there is a HUGE amount of collective knowledge among people posting to this thread. We need to establish a small campground where we could store our tools in a work site. There are a lot of projects we could accomplish.
MikeB

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2015, 01:14 PM   #3250

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaggy View Post
Good afternoon, fellow RV enthusiasts! Low in the 40's here this morning. The coffee is tasty. It appears there is a HUGE amount of collective knowledge among people posting to this thread. We need to establish a small campground where we could store our tools in a work site. There are a lot of projects we could accomplish.
MikeB

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Now a campground where we would work on our RV's would be a game changer. But it would need a large shop able to park a couple of RV's inside. With metal working tools. And woodworking tools. And painting tools. And. And. But I am in. Back in the '60s I was at Offutt AFB near Omaha and we had a shop on base with tools, work bays, and at least one mechanic on duty to give advice on how to fix things. Something like that would be great.

And weather here just north of Austin TX has been great. 71 outside right now. I am on a break from working in garage at sticks and bricks, finishing up on my family Christmas present. It is an occasional table. Pictures later. Hope all are well or on the way. Stay safe in your travels.

ronspradley/rebecca

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #3251

Leaving Monday morning...

Hello All.
2:30PM so missed the coffee update... but have been running around like crazy in preparation for tomorrow (Monday) 7am departure. want to quickly thank Curtis in Rhome Tx for his update... I'm headed I40 to Amarillo and 287 South in to Dallas. Nice to know there is a port in the storm if needed. I've made that trip many times since moving to AZ but not in a 25 year old Class A. I've tried to do my due diligence... new tires, new brakes, new front airbags, electrical system checked out, LP system check, etc.... but I'll be anxious for awhile. I'll keep a decent "captain's log" so I can report back on gas prices, mpg, road conditions, etc.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and most excellent new year.
Steve
scrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:54 PM   #3252

Winnebago Owners Club
Steve and Tricia;
Drive safe. I am sure the MH will perform flawlessly for you. Enjoy the journey.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #3253

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrawley View Post
Hello All.
2:30PM so missed the coffee update... but have been running around like crazy in preparation for tomorrow (Monday) 7am departure. want to quickly thank Curtis in Rhome Tx for his update... I'm headed I40 to Amarillo and 287 South in to Dallas. Nice to know there is a port in the storm if needed. I've made that trip many times since moving to AZ but not in a 25 year old Class A. I've tried to do my due diligence... new tires, new brakes, new front airbags, electrical system checked out, LP system check, etc.... but I'll be anxious for awhile. I'll keep a decent "captain's log" so I can report back on gas prices, mpg, road conditions, etc.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and most excellent new year.
Steve
Be sure to check out the cooling system,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:24 AM   #3254

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Good Morning All!

30 degrees here, no clouds.

Tim, sure hope it turns out to be something simple. Hoses or clamps etc.. I agree, unless your replacing the radiator, you may regret the sealers come summer. They plug/block stuff you don't want plugged. If your thinking fix yourself....... is there a Harbor Freight store in the area. They sell a cheap pressure tester.

Gordon, the snow sounds like fun. You have the perfect plan..... 2-3 weeks of it and then back to Yuma!

Rail, did you see this one......

1996 Safari Sahara Motorhome

This one looks nice,,,, but no price...

1999 Gulf Stream Tourmaster Motorhome

Our coach isn't bad to drive, but I would like it better. I may try one of those stabilzers. The wind does lick it around, and its hard to relax when all that is going on. I may add it to my spring list of things to do.

L.
Lloyd, thanks, the Safari has a propane geny! And I am sure the Tourmaster is out of my price range? You could call him I guess? You never know? I have found I like the Tourmaster's a lot! I guess it is the white interior, so bright and cheery! The only thing I don't like about them is the rubber roof, but if it had been maintained well, I could put up with it! I sure like the fiberglass better!
Hey, before you buy a steering stabilizer, read this thread!
Steering Box Play- Sheppard M100 SHIM or Swap for a TRW ? (12345 ... Last Page)
CrazyKnight

It sure opened my eyes! CrazyKnight should get a medal for what he did for everyone!
Everyone have a great day! Rail!
Old 12-21-2015, 06:35 AM   #3255

Morning!

44 here this morning, expecting a cloudy day,,,, but no rain. I have today off using my last vacation day before I lose it.

Going to mix and pour some concrete today, add on to the back porch stair landing,,, and for a fire pit I'm building in the backyard. We love campfires. Will see, but might be able to have one Christmas day/evening.

Rail, I keep forgetting about the propane genny. Sorry. I sent an email to the Tourmaster owner. Ya never know. I've read some of those sterring box threads (HUGE), I suppose I should check and see what box mine has. Its not bad handling, but it could be better.

Grand kids (2 of 3)(1 had to work) came yesterday afternoon and decorated. Tree up, christmas stuff everywhere. Good excuse to see them.

My buddy John will be back here from Florida in Site #1 Christmas eve. He is going to stay here a couple days, then leave the coach and go to a family reunion of his own 2 hours from here via the toad.

Have a great day all!

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:48 AM   #3256

Waking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtall View Post
Good morning also. I find myself coming to Irv2 also when having my morning breakfast. I laugh, cry and go wow every time I visit.

Seriously - I have learned a great deal from all the great people here at Irv2.com
That's funny...I find myself doing the same thing since August!
Old 12-21-2015, 08:53 AM   #3257

Morning Gang, hope all have a Joyous, Healthy and Happy Holiday Season! Have been working my butt off trying to finish the pickup, but alas it won't be in paint for X-Mas! My friend who's shop we are doing it has been busy with other work, but came in with me to do the body work on the drivers side so he can paint it next Sat or Sunday, yea! I'll be doing the block sanding on the 3 coats of urethane primer he put on it, to try and get it all as straight as possible for the black paint! He has this great little machine that spot welds and shrinks the metal and in 2 hrs had the drivers side pretty dang straight considering the hit it took! Gotta get one to add to my tool collection, lol! He wanted me to send the aluminum wheels out to be professionally refinished, but just playing around I cleaned up a third of one wheel so I am going to take them off and do it myself and save the $600 bucks to put into the interior! He will clearcoat them with urethane when i'm done. Here are some pics of our progress with more coming soon. Have a Happy Holiday All, Bobby
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150703_144053.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	114604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleaning up wheels.jpg
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	114605  

Name:	DRivers door.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	114606   Click image for larger version

Name:	DS Bed.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	114607  

Name:	DSBED2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	114608  
Old 12-21-2015, 09:14 AM   #3258
bap

wow bobby looking great....cant wait to see more pics..

and gooodmorning my friends,,,roofing job completed and taking the day to recoupe..lol--may do a little tracktor work ..not moving snow around like gordan but moving some mulch down in the pasture around the horses feed trough...keep them out of the mud some...
coffee was great this am and outside is waay warmer than this weekend with temps heading to the upper 60s-70 by christmas....yeeeehaww..

everyone have a great and safe day....also great to see more new folks on here,,look forward to getting to know each of you...

also im here in eastern ky and if anyone is passing threw and needs to take a coffee break stop on in,,i dont have the dump station but can make room for a couple rv,s if ya need a spot...
....have a good one !!!!
...jeff
Old 12-21-2015, 10:48 AM   #3259

Christmas newsletter

Thought I'd share my Christmas newsletter with the folks here...

Hi and Merry Christmas all y’all!

“Approach life like you would a yellow light – Run it!” Gail Thornhill

2015 was an interesting year, not much travel and the little bit I did early on was somewhat stressful. Near the end of 2014, and my Grand Western North America Tour & Shakedown Journey, my home-on-wheels had developed an engine noise, laboratory motor oil testing revealed failing engine bearings. With no place to work on my RV I put heavy duty 50 weight oil in the engine and left Houston and traveled 160 white-knuckle miles to San Marcos TX where I spent five weeks in May/June at my friend Bob’s place replacing the failing engine as well as other repairs. My RV repairs should’ve taken much less time but it rained nearly every day during that time period. I was fortunate to have two friends Mike and Michael help me do the actual engine removal/reinstall. Thank you Lord for my friends!

RV repairs and upgrades took my entire travel budget so I hunkered down in the relentless Texas heat. Thankfully, Mike contacted me saying he was driving up to Lewiston NY (near Niagara Falls) to fix up his boyhood home and would I like to help. What? Leave Texas mid-summer? HELL YES! What followed was five weeks demolishing, rebuilding, UST remediating, painting and various other tasks and the best part it was in a beautiful area and not crushingly hot.

After Lewiston I spent two months back in San Marcos putting the final travel touches on my RV before I left for my winter home in Sierra Vista AZ. The 875 mile trip to Sierra Vista was also a shakedown journey for my new engine, exhaust header system, and various suspension repairs/upgrades I’d done. I’m very pleased to report that, with the exception of some shakedown issues during the first 100 miles, the remaining 775 miles passed uneventfully. Between the new engine and my suspension upgrades the biggest problem I had was keeping my RV at 70mph or less. Those fresh ponies pouring from my engine just wanted to run and run! I kept looking down at the speedometer only to find I was pushing 75mph and a few times 80mph! With rebuilt sway bars and suspension airbags added to the rear springs my RV drove rock-solid, even with heavy cross winds.

So here I am back in Arizona, land of sunny days, starry starry nights, and groaty old hippies. I love the brisk sunny winter days here, the fact is I like the northern cold and snow. It’s the dark dreary northern winters and resulting SAD that drives me to Arizona for the winter. They call most people like me snowbirds, apparently I’m a sunbird! In fact I’ve renamed my RV “Sunchaser”.

Tomorrow I’ll be off to LA in my Dodge Caravan to spend Christmas in Marina Del Rey with my daughter. It’ll be a wonderful joyous Christmas! I pray all my friends around this beautiful country are having wonderful joyous Christmases of their own!

Steve and Gail (in spirit)
Old 12-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #3260

Steve (AKA Scrawley) after you drive through Decatur TX on 287 southbound, there about 11 miles south, you will see a exit marked FM 407 to Justin. I live 1.5 miles east of that exit. If you go another 5 miles south of Rhome there is the business 287 exit. Fuel Prices in our area are $1.709
to $1.759. Use GasBuddy.com to find the best prices. Quite a Gas War going on here in North Texas.

We filled up Melissa's 4 Runner with gas at Sam's Club yesterday for $1.649 a gallon.
Which is what I paid for Diesel last week. Diesel's running about $1.99 a gallon right now. Best Diesel prices are usually in Decatur.

You should be passing through here if nothing breaks tomorrow evening (Tuesday).
So stop in if you have the time and need a place to stay the night.
PM me a cell and I'll call and give you my cell and directions if you think that would work for you. And if you have trouble with your Rig.

Oh and before I forget, I35 on the North Side of Fort Worth is a big construction zone, so be ready to sit in traffic if you go all the way south to Fort Worth on 287. (There are ways around it!) But you said you'll be going through Dallas so take the HWY 114 exit in Rhome to Dallas and you'll miss it all.

We'll be headed south Christmas Eve to San Antonio for the weekend.
Nothing like good 80 degree weather, Mexican Food and a Mariachi Band to celebrate Christmas. Melissa's Birthday is the Day after Christmas.

Bobby, did I ever tell you how much I hate body work?
That is the one job I farm out. My Cousin's Husband owns a paint and body shop so it makes my life a lot more pleasant.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:39 PM   #3261

Quote:
"Nothing like good 80 degree weather, Mexican Food and a Mariachi Band to celebrate Christmas."

You're playing my song Bro !
Old 12-21-2015, 08:38 PM   #3262

I know Curtis! I just need to see this thru, it is costing me like $3000 and I bought the material, but I have no room to do it at home and I want something to be proud of, even gave him the other Convertible pickup I have anticipating unloading all our crap and having some fun! Will keep up the pics till it is done! Looking forward to the day when I don't have to please my neighbors to do what makes me happy! Bobby

« Total Rebuild | - »