Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:50 AM   #3431

My morning twaddle...

Goooodmorning, all yíall!!!

Here it is January 3rd and Iíve realized I didnít make any New Yearís resolutions, soooÖ As usual I resolve to stop procrastinating, starting tomorrow.

Yesterdayís gun show was fun but really crowded. I looked at a surprising number of SXSís, some that were very nice. When it comes to SXS collecting Iíve always been a bottom-feeder. Part of my fun is taking some old beat-up piece of wood and steel and making it serviceable again. I donít do restorations, but Iím really good at freshening up an old gun up and making it look presentable. The good part about it, besides pride of workmanship, is that when I move on to another SXS Iím usually able to sell the old one at a slight profit. My hobby pays for itself! Lynne it was nice of you to offer to keep a lookout for me regarding SXSís, but I really have to handle a gun to decide if I want to take it on.

Right now Iím sitting here looking at the mess my home-on-wheels has become over the past two months Iíve been in Sierra Vista. Much of the mess is from things I brought back from visiting family over the holidays. Iíve learned that itís nearly impossible to explain to my well-meaning family that living/storage space is the one thing I donít have. Fortunately, much of it is left over holiday food so Iíve been able to eat my way to household orderliness.

Because I live in a 21 year old RV that is a continuous work-in-progress, I often like to read and follow the restoration threads put up by others. Iím constantly amazed at the various quests for perfection that I see. They remind me of the way I was some 30 years ago. At 68 Iím just happy to keep my RV looking decent, running well, and mechanically sound, perfection is no longer part of my vocabulary.

Around noon Iím finally going to climb up on the roof and find the two small leaks thatíve been annoying me. Rain is predicted for the next few days so that gives me an incentive to finally get the job done. However, the whole roof needs servicing but thatíll have to wait until late February or March. As for today, it looks like another beautiful sunny Sierra Vista day. I love winters here!

Steve

PS someone will invariably say "Don't fall off the roof!" don't worry, if I do I'll be careful to land on my head so that I don't hurt myself.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 09:01 AM   #3432

Good Morning All

Ah the aroma of Starbucks Dark French Roast....
One of my daughters says Starbucks represents the "dark side". Well I guess I've been seduced because it sure is good.
Looks like we have some weather coming in. Phoenix weather guy says a good chance of rain all week turning to snow on Thursday and Friday. I'm headed outside with my cup to place a few tarps on Big Al. Discovered a couple of leaks during my trip back from Texas last week and would rather keep it dry until i have time to "fix" them.
Speaking of sxs shotguns.... I have one hanging on the wall. Belonged to my grandfather and has been "retired". I have some fond memories including a severe bruise on my upper leg as I tried to pull one of the hammers back and it slipped from under my thumb. I don't recommend that.
Everyone have a great week coming up.
Steve

scrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:16 AM   #3433

Forest River Owners Club
Good morning, all. Coffee was good at 28 degrees outside this morning. Today is the day to winterize, unfortunately. Cold front is due to arrive this evening. Lu Ann is still working, so we cannot follow the snowbird path some of you are on. I love the Dakota pictures! Glad everyone is OK.
MikeB

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-03-2016, 03:55 PM   #3434

Well I managed to get the Dakota home and into my garage. Was talking with the guys that bought the '69 Camaro RS/Z28 from my friend, in our conversation they told me they already have it insured through Haggerty Classic Insurance for $60,000 , that makes me sick as they wouldn't insure the Dakota for $10,000 2 years ago??????????? That Z is probably worth it restored but not now for sure, it had Sandy salt water up to the dashboard! Oh well , going to try and get it when it is all back together. I was going to do the final wet sanding and polishing but am getting someone to do it, spending my energy on finding new trim and bits and pieces! I used to insist on doing everything myself, but i'm learning to delegate, I have more enjoyable things to do! Have A good one ! Bobby
Old 01-04-2016, 05:28 AM   #3435

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good morning All, Brrr this morning here in upstate ny. 8* and not supposed to move much today and tomorrow. Bobby, always exciting after the vehicle is painted and now it starts to take shape with all the chrome ect. Gordon, safe travels down south.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:57 AM   #3436

Good Morning all!

36 here, supposed to be a clear day, too dark to tell at this point

We got back home Sunday morning at 1am. No issues, the coach ran well. We got the Harley, and the cookies, and had dinner with some old friends. Weather was fine, did see a few flurries which was fun. Traffic was crazy busy Saturday on I 81 south. For awhile we slowed down, and speeded up 7-8 times. Just too many vehicles, not enough road. That drove our decision to drive late and get off the road for the Sunday end of holiday rush.

Sounds like everyone is doing well. Geo, I do not recomend falling on your head, been there done that! I also "fixed up" a few old guns, it is fun. However I never follow through on selling when I get done!

John heads out for Florida today, and I w--k. The Harley is staying here till he finds a was to tote it that he likes. He is thinking tandem tow dolly.

Have a great day all!

L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160102_082953_resized_2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	378.2 KB
ID:	115672   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160102_083130_resized_2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	115673  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160102_083143_resized_2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	115674  
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:28 AM   #3437

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Morning,
48 degrees upper 50ties for highs this week and suppose to rain.
Coffee is good still from yesterday but will treat myself to a pot of Dunkin Donuts Brand later.
Did some laundry at the resort yesterday, 3 weeks worth and still have a few loads left.
Waxed some of the MH yesterday, I have been told that they have a contract with a company that will come to your site to wash and wax but haven't seen them so I will continue. Put out some Christmas lights around the MH looks nice. A few solar and a few powered.
Someone told us to watch out for shyster's selling MH here, well found one yesterday. I have a thing for Alfa See Ya MH's and this place had one that I stopped to look at, Man was it in bad shape on the exterior, Paint faded delamination all over the exterior. I went inside and was just disgusted with what I saw. The carpet was like the cheapest kind and looked like they just unrolled it and that was it.
So went back out and the salesman came up too us and I asked how much, and he told me they are asking $70,000.
I said that's it and we left disappointed.
If they get that for it I should be able to get $70,000 for our 82 because it is in 10 times better shape than that unit was. What a waste of a good MH.
Owell we will keep looking, and keep waxing ours.
We still have the oldest in the resort and way better shape than some of the newer ones here. Take some owner ship and pride in you MH.
The resort has started to fill up but still a lot of empty spaces.
Have a good day all,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:54 AM   #3438

Good morning everyone coffee is great this morning

Lloyd that is a nice looking rig and your friends bike is sweet too...Spritz it takes all kinds(salesmen)....it is sad when people neglect their rv's

Safe travels to everyone and hope you can get warmed back up Gordon....lol

Mk
Old 01-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #3439

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What the heck!!!!!

Hey Gordon,
Its Raining,
Better than That white stuff.!!!!!!
Tim
Old 01-04-2016, 07:44 AM   #3440

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocritter View Post
Gooodmorning all yíall!!!

Iím finishing my morning coffee and catching up on the news via the internet. I pretty much gave up on my TV several years ago. One day I realized that I was paying (because of cable) to watch 50% programing and 50% advertising. I was paying to watch advertising and now Madison Avenue is taking over the internet! I understand some advertising and appreciate how the system works, but the advertising burden just became too much for me and I refuse to buy technology to fast forward through it. I guess my kids are right; apparently I have become an eccentric olde pharte.

Today a hunting buddy and I are going to the Crossroads Tucson Gun Show. Because I am eccentric I have a weakness for old SXS shotguns.

Steve

I feel your pain Steve, My weakness also

Dan
Old 01-04-2016, 08:30 AM   #3441

Goooodmorning all y’all!!!

Rain showers are predicted starting around noon. After yesterday’s roof repairs I hope we get a thorough soaking so that I can learn whether or not I fixed the leaks. Then the rain and dreary weather can leave, thank you.

I may clean my RV’s interior today, it certainly needs it. One thing I miss about having my wife with me is Gail helped keep me civilized, yes I wash every day, shave every day because beards itch and I keep the dishes clean, a hangover from living in roach infested Houston, but that’s about it. Gail didn’t so much pick up after me as she made sure I picked up after myself. But as for picking up, there’s always tomorrow… Wait! I gave up procrastination for the New Year, but now I remember that was starting tomorrow. Whew, I’m safe in my squalor for another tomorrow. Thank God for tomorrow.

I was going to post Annie's Youtube song Tomorrow but the danged program keeps double pasting it, gaaaah I hate it when my technology turns on me!

Tim, the asking price ain’t always the selling price. When I bought my present home-on-wheels PPL was asking $6,000 for it, I paid $3,500 and if I’d had a crystal ball I would’ve paid less or not bought it (but the engine ran great when I bought it). My father-in-law was a car dealer and he had a saying "If you don't ask, you don't get!"

I see there’re some motorcycle enthusiasts here. I’ve had a few motorcycles, over a dozen ranging in size from a Honda 50 to a vintage 74ci Indian, over the last 50 years. My present motorcycle is a little KLR250 dualsport Kawasaki. My testosterone wanted a KLR650 but my boring sensible-self took over and insisted I get the smaller bike. I’ve been conflicted ever since. My dream bike for the last 40 years has been a vintage 750cc Norton P11 Scrambler. What a beautiful bike, I waaaaant one!!!

Here's a photo of a beautifully restored P11 Scrambler I poached off the net (thank you unknown poster!).

I see the suns coming out; according to the weatherman I’d better enjoy it this morning.

Steve
Old 01-04-2016, 11:15 AM   #3442

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Hey Gordon,
Its Raining,
Better than That white stuff.!!!!!!
Tim
Here too Tim. Started about 5am and has been getting heavier over time. Not a 12" or even a 6" or 3". Enough so we cannot measure the distance between the drops! Water running down the street.

Sounded so good on the roof that we slept in until 9. That has not happened in a long while! Feels good.

Trip back down was great. -21C at airport. Had to de-ice but as the pursuer described it the pilot flew it like he stole it and we arrived on time. 70 in Palm Springs so shirt sleeves for us. Good drive back to RV and made it in time for happy hour.

Off to buy some groceries. Everyone have a great day.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:24 PM   #3443
bap

evening gang,,,,
sitting here taking a pizzia break,,,been installing new floor 2 frame bolts in the 69 tc..got the new floor section in yesterday..almost ready to do the new layout,...debbie is anxious to work it over...lol

Lloyd,,,,glade ya made it home safe and sound...whaaat no pics of the cookies...lol

STEVE... love the scrambler...warms my heart aswell..--i just love the lines....i dont ride anymore but i still love the old indians....my buddy,s dad in the early 60s had an indian/harley dealership in his basement....man i would love to have that now aday...what a collection...

GORDAN,,,glad to know you had a good safe flight...---just rub the t shirt weather in..im sitting here with blowing snow and a balmy 32deg..

well.....pizzia IS done and i got a couple more hours of working light soo everyone have a great day...
...jeff
Old 01-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #3444

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lloyd, I had a neighbor when I was a kid he's got to be in his 90dies now that had a late 50ties Indian that had the gear shifter on the side of the gas tank. I remember it like yesterday, it was turquoise/white he called it a Shriners bike. I am not sure what was meant by that. if it was a Shriners bike or that's what they drove. A real beaut. You bud has good taste both MH and Trike.
Tim

« Total Rebuild | - »