Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2015, 09:05 AM   #337

Fleetwood Owners Club
good morning, note the small print, after helping son with the fence yesterday pain pills was last nights desert. Side effect is sleep late, missed church. Can barely move this morning. Lol Hows that song go, " What don't kill you makes you stronger" lol

Ok you bluegrass state boys are going to have to give me a list of must see places in Ky, we have never been there, and North & East is our direction of travel for 2016.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2015, 09:42 AM   #338

Winnebago Owners Club
Morning all;
Another lovely morning in Yuma. Temps to 80 today then cooling off a bit.

Going to have some folks over and do a bit of grilling today.

Have a great day.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #339

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gordon,

Do you like to grill Salmon? My DH has a great recipe if you are interested.

Going to borrow this thread for a bit to ask you gentlemen a question. As many of you know, we are looking for our MH. During the summer I looked at a Newmar DP with 1 slide. Diesel was a 260 I believe. We will be towing a Prius. It was spotless inside and appeared to be taken well care of. Tires were really bad though and cruise control did not work.

When I went to the roof, the son of the owner (Mom, as Dad had died) went with me and confessed the roof had two soft spots. Dad had gotten sick and not taken care for two years. One over driver and back rear corner opposite side. They were barely soft and had been sealed. I came on here and asked if this was a problem because I was ready to write the check.

Response was to run in the other direction. The rig is still available. I think I could talk him down to $30,000. It is a 2003 I believe. with 75,000 miles if I remember right.

What is your opinion on this rig and the roof? Thank you, Lynne Just keep wanting to go back to this one for some reason.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:16 PM   #340

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Lynne;
You have a really great question. Certainly the first response is to run. Cannot argue with that. It is something like if you dont get sick you will not have to heal.

But . . . . sometimes you have to take chances.

As you note Terry has undertaken the restoration of his TH and will end up with a stellar unit. Does DH have any interest or skills in doing repairs. Replacing the roof seems like a big job but after doing one and seeing Terry's results it is imminently doable.

I replaced the roof on our 5er (43'). I replaced the EPDM and sheeting with plywood for around 2000. While I had the roof off I was able to rewire and replace the old lights with LED. To have it done professionally I was quoted 15000.

It is still buyer beware. How big are the soft spots?

Is there any sign of leaking inside below the corners? It may be possible that there is not that much damage to the roof. It may have leaked only enough to damage the sheeting and not much more. Most of the time the sheeting is chip board. An acceptable building material but does have some short comings. It only takes a small amount of moisture and about 4 freeze thaws to start deteriorating. If the leak has been stopped and the moisture dried out it should not get any worse.

Can you get in and look inside any cabinets in the area? If there is no sign there it may be minimal damage. If you are comfortable that the roof is well sealed you may be able to use it for several years before replacing the roof, if at all. Just have to keep an eye on it and be prepared to do something if it gets worse.

It would be good to be able to see it and give a better opinion.

If it is not too far would it be possible to get some pictures of the roof where the leaks are? What kind of shape is the roof in on the rest of the unit?
Old 01-18-2015, 02:23 PM   #341

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lynne, a leak can be the beginning of a multitude of problems. Even if it's completely fixed now other things may just be waiting to show up. One that has a leak fixed sitting, is a different critter than one that's driven up and down the road.

My opinion is keep looking, Motorhomes have enough expense without starting with one that's already a problem. Now if you want a project, go for it, but don't expect a leak that has caused a soft spot to not need continuous attention.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:25 PM   #342

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gordon,

I was raised by a man who rebuilt houses and can do roofing, plastering, wiring, and plumbing. Not the norm, and I don't care to do too much with my back injuries, but my DH wouldn't go on the roof.

I looked over the MH very carefully. No stains or soft spots inside that I could find. Got on knees on floor and touched everything I could see and stuff I couldn't. Not just pretty, I understand if the shell is no good gold leaf will fall apart.

The spots were barely soft and I could stand on them without much give so I think it was caught quickly but some damage was done. Thought he was going to choke when I stepped on them and bounced a bit. No give.

I wondered about the small diesel too. Would a V-10 in the gassers still be a better choice as gas repair would be easier for us.

Just struggled letting this one go. Thanks Lynne
Old 01-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #343

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Gordon,

Do you like to grill Salmon? My DH has a great recipe if you are interested.

Hi Lynne;
Yes I do grill Salmon. I like to grill it on a cedar plank. I marinate the salmon for about 12 hours in a mixture of maple syrup, soy sauce, fresh ginger and fresh garlic. I soak the top of the cedar plank with spiced rum.

I am always interested in new recipes.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:52 PM   #344

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Lynne read about your quandary, I think Bap will forgive us if we talk alittle, First I don't want you to think because I sent you a link to a MH here that I would try to push you in any direction, certainly not what I would do, ok that being said if you are interested I would be willing to go look and take pics or video if you are hesitant because of the mileage away from where you live. IMO, a diesel can be more expense to maintain and need a diesel shop to work on, where a gasser could be worked on by a shop that works on PU's I have not owned a V10 maybe someone out there has and can give you an opinion, I have worked on them and found them to be as reliable as any.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:10 PM   #345

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gentlemen,

I was looking for the info you gave me. You have confirmed for me that I made the correct decision in walking away. I have seen others that I like and know I will find one.

Terry, I am absolutely fine with you sending the info to me on a MH link. I contacted the gentleman r/e it and asked him to include pictures of the bathroom and he didn't send any. Unit looks nice but just wasn't quite it so I am just continuing in the search.

I have a feeling when I walk in it and go over it that I will just know. I have long trusted my "gut" on making decisions about jobs, friends, and purchasing cars and now a MH. Just hasn't been there yet. My gut told me to come here.

I will still have questions as I continue to learn and search and am glad that you guys are willing to offer your opinion and experience. I will get the right MH but am not in a big hurry, and yet I am. Just have to temper the impatience a bit until it feels right.

Thank you all for your insight. I appreciate it.

Gordon, I will forward that salmon recipe to you. Lynne
Old 01-18-2015, 06:21 PM   #346

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Ok you bluegrass state boys are going to have to give me a list of must see places in Ky, we have never been there, and North & East is our direction of travel for 2016.
Kentucky, like all of the states in this nation, is beautiful and different. We have it all except for oceans, and we make up for that slight problem by having outstanding lakes.

Do you like fast horses and beautiful woman….or is it fast woman and beautiful horses....I can’t remember which is correct, anyway that combination can be found at one of our many horse races like the Ky Derby and others. For the love of horses alone without the women, the Ky Horse State Park is outstanding.

Like boating? You can pick from the Ohio River is along our Northern border to many Corp of Engineer dammed lakes all over.

Like trains? There are several train rides you can take in places Central and Southern Ky.

Like coal mines? You can tour one in Eastern Ky.

How about hiking? Oh the Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge area is tops.
Like sports? Ya gotta attend a University of Kentucky Wildcat Basketball game, #1 team in the nation.

Camping? Our state parks used to be among the best in the nation, however, with money being shifted to other areas, they have fallen behind in the steady march of progress especially if you have a big rig. However all of the parks are still a state treasure worthy of a visit though.

Like wildlife and a birder? We have a broad ranging animal life from Elk introduced in the strip mines, bear, plenty of deer, an abundance of turkeys, and rabbits. Birds? You can spot everything from the great bald eagle to the humming bird here.

History? It’s all over from Fort Boonesborough to the cemetery containing Daniel Boone’s bones.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:24 PM   #347

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Lynne,
You are wise to trust your gut, when there is that nagging little voice telling you nono, listen. You will know when you see the right one. No problem on the mixup between me and Rail, I just didn't want to get credit for someone elses kindness.
Tim,
We spent 2 weeks this fall in Kentucky doing the Bourbon trail, Mammoth cave, Corvette Museum etc. Started in Frankfort, then a day in Lexington, on to Bardstown, Louisville, Then down to Cave City and Bowling Green. We could easily have spent 2 more weeks just in those places but had to travel on.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:28 PM   #348

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Frank and Pete. I bookmarked your replies till I start planning for them.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:52 PM   #349
bap

we live about 15 minutes from carter caves state park,,a very nice little park with a pretty nice clean campground,,the grandsons and i go there very often even when not camping..a very pretty place and nice cool caves to hang around in the summer

there are wonderfull hiking trails all over and the landscape is breath taking.. its usually nice and quite and have very friendly staff..,, there are always activities if you want to join in on the group stuff,,, they have a nice golf course for those that like the game,,,i have never played,,,lol...minuture golf which the grandsons and i have played alot.. there are guided and unguided cave tours....very nice when the temps are in the 90s and the caves can go deep enough to be in the mid 40s..
they also have primitve days once a year i think in september where there is a section that is set up like the old days ...pretty cool...and ther is a replica of ABE LINCOLNS cabin that is made from trees off of our property,,if u like fishing they have a small lake but no motors are allowed and no after dark fishing,,and its KY,S only trophy bass lake..there is also a swimming pool,cabins, and a nice lodge there..
another cool thing is in october everyone sets up for trick or treating and people set up there campsites very nice for the kids,and they have a haunted trail that is pretty cool for all ages..
also just up the road about 20 minutes from our house is cave run lake, its in the daniel boone national forest,,,pretty big lake with several camping areas and is a true musky fishing lake,,,
and then there is GRAYSON LAKE WMA they have a nice campground nice lake and a fairly new golf course they say is awsome..
and then there is GREENBO lake state park about another 20 minutes from our house it to has a decent little lake with 9hp and under engines allowed the campground is fairly nice and quite, there is also a swimming pool and nice lodge with very good food..

as you can see welive in the middle of several campgrounds but i find carter caves to be our favorite...these are the ones on the eastern side of our state,,,carter county,rowan county, and greenup county,,,
im sure other folks that live on the other side of our state can tell you more about them...
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:07 PM   #350
bap

and lynn, always follow your gut feeling,,,i made the mistake of buying our fleetwood in the dead of winter when the temps had been below freezing for over a month,,it was an exctremly clean 96 30a with the 454 gas engine which ran great and seemed solid throught but....yes ...but when the temps rose above freezing and th mh started thawing out is when i learned my lesson on buying my first mh, it started leaking down the inside and the floor got soft in acouple places,,,,thats when i leaqrned how to replace a rubber roof and flooring...lol....the dw and i got it all fixed up and fulltimed in it for a year..we loved it..but turned around and sold it for a profit and got into the small vintage TT,s..and love fixing them up...

i always go with my gut feeling now no more jumping on my secound thought...lol

the right one will come along and you will know it...because when you see it and walk in it will feel like home...best of luck on your hunt...
bap is offline   Reply With Quote