Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2015, 09:24 PM   #351

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good morning, all! Well the coffee this morning is back to tasting very good! Ha!
Lynne, I think you did good trusting your gut, and walking away! Go to Rvt,com, and sign up. After that you can set your search, and they will email you the MH's that fall into what you are looking for. One just popped up this morning in Coldwater, Mi. , so not to far away, a 1999 Monaco Diplomat diesel pusher, looked like a hell of a deal for the money! $14,280 asking price! It does have some water damage on the front pass. side corner, but it has new tires all around, and for the price, you could have the damage fixed right, and still be money ahead! Watch the video. Granted, what you see when you look at it in person is a different thing! Just another one to look at! Between rvt.com and rvtrader.com, you will see there are a lot out there! Enjoy the hunt! PM me you email address and I can send you links, I have never figured out how to do on here?
Everyone have a great day! Rail!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2015, 05:56 AM   #352

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning Everyone, We are in the midst of a heat wave , it got up to 44* yesterday and its 29* this am and going to 37*, I'll take whatever I can get. Sounds like Kentucky would be a good destination, it was good enough for ole Daniel Boone. Have a great day all, I need more coffee.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:16 AM   #353

Fleetwood Owners Club
Morning all! We took a Beach and Restaurant tour last year along the southeast and gulf coast. This year it's back west, but next year the Bourbon, whiskey and moonshine tour might have to be planned! Lol

Temp topping out at 67 today, so much to get done!
Old 01-19-2015, 08:39 AM   #354
bap

goodmorning everyone,,,,,,,as always have a safe and wonderful day

were still in the 50s for the next couple days,,,,,ahhh it feels great,,,,we havent had a january this warm in years..
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:47 AM   #355

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Gordon,

I was raised by a man who rebuilt houses and can do roofing, plastering, wiring, and plumbing. Not the norm, and I don't care to do too much with my back injuries, but my DH wouldn't go on the roof.

I looked over the MH very carefully. No stains or soft spots inside that I could find. Got on knees on floor and touched everything I could see and stuff I couldn't. Not just pretty, I understand if the shell is no good gold leaf will fall apart.

The spots were barely soft and I could stand on them without much give so I think it was caught quickly but some damage was done. Thought he was going to choke when I stepped on them and bounced a bit. No give.

I wondered about the small diesel too. Would a V-10 in the gassers still be a better choice as gas repair would be easier for us.

Just struggled letting this one go. Thanks Lynne

Hi Lynne;
Tough decision I know, especially if it spoke a bit to you.

The fact that you were able to stand on it, let alone jump makes is seem like the damage is slight. Risky I agree. It takes only 3 or 4 freeze thaws to start delaminating. I suspect a little water got in and possibly took a long time to dry out thus going through several winters would cause the start of deterioration.

I would be interested if the price point was favorable. It just depends upon how much risk you are willing to take and how much he will discount for you to accept the risk. If he discounted a lot your risk is lower.

I get the feeling you will not feel comfortable with the risk of purchasing this unit. Leave it. There are lots more. Perhaps a search looking for a similar model and year will turn up some leads.

330 is a smaller engine but it depends upon what you want. It is the ISC engine with 330 hp and 950 ft lbs of torque. The information I was able to find on the V10 is 362 hp and 425 ft lbs of torque.

IMO the performance between the two would be similar depending upon the application they were in. I am assuming the coach the diesel is in is slightly heavier than the gasser. The 330 has a substantial edge on torque which should make climbing hills easier. The V10 will climb the hills but will have to rev higher to accomplish the same task.

IMO both are equal depending upon your expectations. Everyone you talk to will have their favorite for their own reasons. All will get you to your destination especially if maintained.

I try not to be in a hurry when travelling. I do not feel the need to race up a hill in order to brake down the other side. Janet and I both like the liesurely travel. I like to look around at the scenery. We drive at a steady pace and make up time by keeping our stops short. Our stops are/were mostly (5er) bathroom breaks so it was stop, go to the bathroom, get a coffee and get back on the road. With the coach we have less stops for bathroom as we can use the coach and Janet makes a great cup of coffee while traveling.

I like my diesel but I also like my gas truck. We have the 450 Cummins in the coach, a 6 liter diesel in the 450 and I have a 150 with the 5.4 liter gas. All run well. The 6 liter is an 05 and the maintenance on it is slighly more expensive than the gas (13 quarts of oil vs 4 quarts). It was recommended that I pull the 5er with diesel because the total unit weighs 29,000 lbs. It handles it well. I am sure the v10 would as well.

I believe there is no right or wrong answer, just the one that works for you.

I am sure you will find the one you want. Patience is the word. When you least expect it.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:47 PM   #356

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Evening all,

Had a good day at work today and drank my coffee while driving in. Still looking at MHs and will until I find the right one. I really appreciate all the help you are giving me on here. I really need the advice as I am a novice.

Have a wonderful evening and a great cup of coffee in the AM. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:45 PM   #357

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Lynne,
You seem to be diligent in doing your homework, and are asking all the right questions. With that being said you will very soon upgrade from Novice to RV'er.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:41 PM   #358
bap

carter caves state resort park
334 cave road drive
olive hill ky 41164
phone number 606-286-4411

it has 129 sites..and is open year round,,,. i know this for a fact if your thinking about going during the trick or treat thing best call and reserve early...like last year,,lol....they fill up fast and most reserve a year in advance...thats where we always take the boy,s...its really great...

this is what i pulled online,,,but i have alot of activity sheets somewhere around the house,,,the grandsons and i pick one up every time we go over there which in the summer is about every week to pick out stuff they want to go do..lol
Old 01-20-2015, 03:50 AM   #359

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning All, 19* this am, not too bad a little windy, Bap, thanks for the info, Lynne, the time and effort will pay off. Have a great day all.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:54 AM   #360
bap

gooooodmorniing gang,,,,tis 34 as i drink my first cup this morning...

no problem terry,,,an anyone else that may have an intrest..

RAIL,i know how ya feel about the bad cofffee to wake up to====just leavs a bad taste in your mouth,,,,lol......been meaning to post that since you posted urs just to be honest couldnt remember to,,,,,,old age ,,,,,,,i dont think the 70s had any effect on my memory,,,,,because i cant remember most of it,,,,,....lol,,,,,jk.....
Old 01-20-2015, 08:18 AM   #361

Fleetwood Owners Club
Morning group, 42 headed to low 60's. Yesterday reached 67 and I over did it outside! Will be moving much slower today, but ha, I'm moving! Have a great day!
Old 01-20-2015, 09:05 AM   #362

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
another above 0 again today
Our January thaw ,
Happy Camper!!!!
Have to get my 3rd mug of Java,
Be Back Soon
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:50 PM   #363

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello All,

Good day today but tomorrow I will be going to look at three MH's I saw for sale to look. One is only 28 ft long but darn is it cute. Probably going to be too short, but I will see.

So see you in the morning as I am off and hope you all have a good night, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:23 PM   #364

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good morning everyone! Coffee is tasting very good today! The weather here in Lampang, Thailand today, is high 86/ low 58! I'll take it!
Good luck, Lynne! Hope one of the ones you are looking at (is the one!)
Everyone have a great day! Rail!