Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2016, 06:21 PM   #3865
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocritter View Post
I’ll be dumping my queen bed and installing a small office area on one side and a single bed on the other.
Steve,

That sounds like a great idea. I do have one suggestion.

First, some details. A queen bed is typically 60" x 80". A "single" (aka "twin") is 39" x 75". A "double" (aka "full") is 54" x 75".

So, when downsizing from a queen, not only does the width decrease, but the length does as well. I am about 6' tall and I always seem to hang off the end of the bed when I need to sleep in a single or double.

However, there is a simple solution. The mattress companies make mattresses (and box springs, if needed) called "XL" or Extra-Long. So, a Twin-XL is 39" x 80" and a Full-XL is 54" x 80". That extra 5" in length makes the twin and full beds just as long as a queen.

How do I know this so well? I build Murphy Beds for a living. I deal with all of these sizes on a regular basis. (Disclaimer: I am NOT trying to sell anything here!!! )

Now that I mentioned Murphy Beds, let me say that typically we build what is called a "vertical" murphy bed. That is, to close the bed the foot of the bed is raised towards the ceiling. The pivot points are near the head of the bed. Many of us have seen movie or tv skits with murphy beds on Laverne & Shirley, Charlie Chaplin, and others where someone gets closed up in a murphy bed. Only in the movies. They don't do that for real.

However, in low ceiling applications, such as a bonus room over a garage or maybe an RV, a vertical murphy bed will not fit: it is too tall when closed. In this case, a "horizontal" murphy bed can be used. The side of the bed is along the wall. The pivot points are near the wall, one at the head and one at the foot. Think railroad sleeper cars or bunk beds in a bus.

Depending on your layout, a murphy bed may be overkill, but I thought I would at least share the idea of the 80" single and double mattresses.

Best of luck!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #3866

That is an awesome idea cwk!!!....that would really be a space saver...I could see a queen horizontal Murphy bed in a bedroom slide...that would be too cool..

Mk
mkohler30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #3867

I’ll probably be booted from the board but I just emailed the webmaster to complain about that PITA captcha thing they’ve installed. I was pretty angry!

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:44 PM   #3868

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thanks Lynne, maybe its from being raised in small town midwest and neighbors and friends did things for others. So that is why I don't think it is a big deal.
Frank

P.S. if you go to work tomorrow please be careful and be safe.
Franka548 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:07 PM   #3869

Lynne
If there is anything I have learned growing up in East Coast Alaska it is don't try to fight the weather........it will win !

Of course that means you lose

The bonus isn't worth your vehicle or especially you .

Hope those in the path of this monster stay safe!
All I got was an inch of snow , then freezing rain , rain , more rain , still raining and tomorrow .....50+* Not using much propane in the new heater.

Rail
That thing is GAWJUSSS. I'm sure you're enjoying those pictures way more than us , must be torture not being able to climb in and gooooooooooo. It seems that again , I wish I was you makes my rig look like a remodeled dumpster or something...

Everybody
I think the terms pen pals and paying it forward fit here but I think it might be a little deeper than that.
I've seen this kind of thing with RVers before ,like a family all having the same interests . We sure seem to have that too.

But it has grown deeper like a unit in the military on a secret mission or something .....
We, my friends have become a tribe !

I'm going to give the credit to our chief for providing the "secret project" that we have collaborated on with him ,,,,,big chief Terry !

Next pow wow at Jay's.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:03 PM   #3870

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good Morning Everyone! Coffee is going down very smoothly today!
We had a big storm roll thru last night as well, Just rain, but it also knocked the power out for 2 to 3 hours. As we have "instant hot" hot water heaters in the showers, and no power,='s COLD shower! Everyone went in and "bit their lip" and took theirs and then I got in the bathroom for mine, and was bagging my hand, "still can't get it wet" And the power came back on! When your lucky, your lucky!
Popeye, Tribe huh!!!! I think your right!
I also emailed Steve ( the PO of my MH) and told him about this site and this thread and Terry's thread, and invited him to come join us!
Well, nothing from Tim or Gordon this morning? You think they are looking at the MH I told him about in Yuma? If I had not bought this one, I would have ask them to look for me! It looked good in the pic's! For sure! I still get the notices from rvtrader.com and rvt.com when the right ones come up!
Frank, I grew up in the Mid-West too, and I understand how we were raised! You know, we are all about the same age, have the same intrest's, same work history, and ethic, and I think that is why we all gelled so well! We all have a strong bind, that is the love for these MH's and the lifestyle it provides! You know, last year, when I bought, it was from a dealer, and My good friend Bill, went and made the deal for me, I wired the money to him, and he went and paid for it , got all the paperwork, license, and everything!
This time, it was from a private owner, and a ad on CL to boot, and a very good deal also! Was I a ball of nerves? OH MY! Frank made me feel much, Much, better about everything, for sure! I was worried about sending my savings to a total stranger, who I had never met?!! Sure glad it all worked out the way it did! And come to find out, Steve is just like all of us on here too! Frank, we will meet soon, when I come to pick "Mona" up! WOW! that name just came to me!
Steve in SV, that Captcha thing has been a real PITA, and I have been very frustrated with it also! I have noticed that if I try to attach something big, it always come up? But, on my lap top, it does not work right, and sends me to a blank page every time, and loses everything I have written! On my phone it does work? So, maybe something that is not current with my old Lap top? If they could just provide us with the upgrade we need for it to work right, that would help!
Lynne, you are so right, I am soooooooo excited!!!
Everyone have a great day! Rail!
Mona huh??? I Like It!!
Old 02-25-2016, 04:59 AM   #3871

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Warm 50* this Am, but 3" of rain overnight, now there's some minor flooding around, not here we are way too high on the mountain. Rail, got lucky on the warm water . Popeye, I can't take credit for all this, Bap started the "Good Morning" thread and gave all of us a place to meet almost daily and catch up. Have a Great Day All.

Big Chief
Old 02-25-2016, 07:19 AM   #3872

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Coffee was good this morning, weather a little cooler only going to the mid 60's after being in the low 80's the last cople days, but still sunny. Missed the really bad weather it went north of us and the next wave went south of us, so all is good.
Rail,
I'm glad that I was able to ease the worry somewhat, and yes I agree, Steve is just like the rest of us. When we met after talking on the phone, we both had a better feeling about everything being on the up and up. Gut feeling on both our parts said that everything was going to be good. Sorry that storing the MH here fell through, but that is just a minor glitch. Let me know when you are heading here so we can plan to meet. mmmmm, Mona, you know that just seems to fit.
Popeye,
Tribe huh, I agree with Rail, I like it.
Terry,
Hope that the weather holds out so you can get some more things done.
Have a great day all, golf day today,
Frank
Franka548 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:01 AM   #3873

Winnebago Owners Club
Morning Chief and Tribe;
Was cool overnight and as we leave the windows open and the fantastic fan running it is cool inside this morning. Have put on a light sweater. An hour or two from now it will come off as the temperature will be in the 90 degree range today.

Only two more sleeps until we leave for Salt Lake City and a couple weeks of skiing. There will be 30+ folks this year so some of the pot lucks will be crowded. We have managed to get 24 into one room. Snow is great so the skiing will be good. Over 300 inches fallen with 100 inches of settled.

Tim and Joe should be coming down in the next few days. We will miss their arrival but will catch up with them when we get back.

Have a great day tribe members.

"Do we have a tribe name?"
Old 02-25-2016, 12:37 PM   #3874

Remember F troop ?
We're the Fakawi tribe
Old 02-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #3875

Yes, It Is Balloon!
Old 02-25-2016, 05:11 PM   #3876

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Evening Mobile Tribe!

Well the snow didn't stop all night. Don't know how much we got but it was deep. Decided to try to go to w--k, you know, make the attempt and got stuck in the driveway. Dug out, and back and forth a few times and the car started going and I decided to just keep going. If it was too bad on the highway I was going to turn around.

Our road wasn't plowed and I just kept going. Got to the HWY and no traffic coming and I didn't stop and just kept going, so I just kept going until I got to w--k. Whew!, that was not a nice drive.

Guys at w--k are saying "Weather the drive with a Prius!" or Lynne is just a good driver. A little of both since 6 other people called in and live closer than I do. Some of it was school closings and no sitters for kids.

The State was closed, ALL schools in MI were closed, an d the hospital was of course still open. I was one of 4 people there and we usually have 12 or more. It was an interesting day. So glad it is over.

Rail, Mona will be awaiting you and safe with Frank. Popeye, I can't wait to meet you and your rig, I am sure both of you are just wonderful! Real people do not come to see your house, they come to see the heart of the owner. Your's looks pretty special.

Terry, you or Bap can be Chief. Mabe two Chiefs.

So, nasty this AM, roads mostly clear on the way home and it is supposed to hit 50's by Sat. I'm game, bring it on. Meanwhile, going to sleep well tonight and hope others make it in tomorrow. Don't know if I can do this two days in a row.

Bye, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:16 PM   #3877

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Good Evening Mobile Tribe!

Terry, you or Bap can be Chief. Mabe two Chiefs.

Lynne
Lynne - would that be co-chiefs or Cochise? LOL - play on words!

Glad you made it in to work and home safely. Bet the folks at w**k were glad you made the attempt and were successful.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:15 PM   #3878

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Guys, hope everyone is ok! Rail glad to see you finally got what you wanted. Been busy here trying to get the pickup done to take to Florida, but have been holding back as our neighbors are down there in Sebring, Fl and are having a lousy time, with both the weather and problems with their MH they are planning on returning early this year. We might hold off a while longer to go , I'd really like to have my shop closed before we go. Just a few update pics of our project, trying to get collectors insurance on it but if we have too we will just put liability on it and go! Take care all! Bobby
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	back of truck.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	119881   Click image for larger version

Name:	bed2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	119882  

Click image for larger version

Name:	left bed.jpg