Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:08 PM   #3879

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Lynne,
We are glad that you made it to w--k and home safely, we also hope that tomorrow is a much easier day for you.
Bobbie,
The truck is looking really good, you have to be proud of it, you have done an awesome job redoing it. A little chilly down here, and windy today, but much better than up north. Going to be chilly for 2 or 3 more days then back up into the mid to upper 70's.
Gordon,
Have a nice trip. Stay safe and don't do anything that you ill regret, lol.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2016, 10:30 PM   #3880

Lynne
Thanks for the thoughts
Bobby
Those decals look perrrrfect!
Gordon
Ughhhhhh!
Frank
Glad you ducked the worst of it.
Tomorrow night back to single digits and then back to 30s and 40s
That El Nino stuff is sure giving us all a winter to remember...

Old 02-25-2016, 10:47 PM   #3881

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good Morning Everyone! Coffee is tasting good today!
Bobby, your truck is looking great, and I would insure it to the hilt! You never know, and that baby would be hard to replace!
Lloyd, ??? that one went right over my head
Gordon, enjoy the ski trip, how many in a room???
Lynne, glad you are back home and safe and warm! Been in those Mi. snowstorms, not much fun!
Popeye, Like Lynne said!!
Frank, enjoy the golf game! I told Dave, if no place pop's up around there, I have another buddy that lives up by Penscola that has 7 acres, and has plenty of room to keep "Mona" right beside his!
F-Troop, now that is going back!
Still no Tim? Hmmmmmmm!
Everyone have a great day! Rail!
Old 02-26-2016, 05:12 AM   #3882

Morning!

Sorry Rail, it was a response to the F Troop statement. The commercials for that show always included a quick little part.....

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:45 AM   #3883

Morning Everyone! Sunny up here, going up to 40's. Got a quote from Hagerty's Collectors insurance, hopefully something will pan out? Think I might have done better homework though on obtaining insurance by some of their reviews! But they insure like 700000 collector cars, so there are bound to be some disgruntled customers. Tried them a few years ago and they denied us, funny as they brag about insuring cars under restoration, maybe it'll work now. Itching to get the new top on it, and have the interior finished. It is insane how these companies work, in the same shop I had the truck painted in , is a 69 Camaro RS/Z28 that if in good condition would bring probably $60-80g and they have it insured with Hagerty for $60g and it is nothing but a shell ? Weird! Oh well, hopefully i'll get the new condenser and radiator in this weekend! Thanks to all of you for the encouragment, I need it! Be Safe and Well! Bobby
Old 02-26-2016, 07:19 AM   #3884

Coffee good this morning back at w**k.....but really tired....good thing it's mostly a desk job...lol. My mind is ready to hit it hard but my body says hold up there partner....

Few weeks ago pulled the hitch out of the truck because I thought the picture frame that attaches to the 5th wheel prep in the bed was loose...low and behold I was right I was able to get it adjusted and get the frame back in but still have to go out to the barn to put the hitch back in....but it is heavy...luckily it breaks down into components and is more manageable so maybe one day I put the legs in and the next the head....who knows...maybe next week...lol

The Dakota is coming along lookin great I know you will be happy to get her out open her up with the top down and just cruise...hope the ins. works in your favor...

Rail that is truely a beauty the more I look at the pics the more I like....depending on when your able to get back to pick her up I think all of us here would love to take her for a test ride to make sure everything works right...lol

Lynn I have lived in Texas my whole life and mostly in Southeast or Central Texas where we just don't get much white stuff...I can't even imagine driving on it ...bless you for the effort of getting to work in that mess...

Geocritter I really love reading you description of the southwest hope to visit it soon...

Well bye for nor and travel safe and enjoy life...

Mk
Old 02-26-2016, 07:20 AM   #3885
bap

gooodmorning gang,,

i pray all is well with everyone,,

i have been having a tough time,,as some of you may have noticed i havent been on much and when i have it hasnt been for very long,, reason being i cant sit and type very long because of sever pain in neck right arm and back,,had to go to the ER the other day catscan shows pinched nerve and 2 disks pushing on my spinal cord..funny thing is i dont have a clue what caused it..lol

well i gotta go for now gotta go to another DR. and see what can be done..
everyone have a blessed day,,
stay safe out there my friends..
...bap/jeff
Old 02-26-2016, 07:21 AM   #3886

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning All, Bobby, Truck is looking good, I've done a bunch of restos. and its a long process to get them right. Lynne, glad you got to and from work okay. Lloyd, you had me too with the balloon thing, thanks for clearing that up, I was going to have to Google it today. Popeye, Your right on the El Nino its certainly been an interesting winter. Gordon, Have fun stay safe. Cold today 50* yesterday 16* today and by Sunday 50* again winds are real strong today so wind chills are single digits, not working outside today. Have a Great Day All. Mk, glad your still at, hopefully now that your finished you'll start gaining . Bap, Sorry to hear of the neck and pinched nerves I have a compressed vertebrae in my neck and I went for weeks and they put me into a machine that stretched my neck did alot for me.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:05 AM   #3887

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Coffee was good this morning, weather chilly but sunny and not a much wind, so not too bad.
MK,
Hang in there, it will get better. You have to build your strength back up. We are all pulling for you.
Bap,
Sorry to hear that you are having all that pain, hopefully the doc can fix you right up.
Have a great day all, and to those of you that are ailing, a speedy recovery,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:06 AM   #3888

Winnebago Owners Club
Good morning from the SUNNY PNW�� We have had a decent winter so far I might think about swapping out the snow tire this weekend on the wife's Subaru WRX. Because I know once I do that if will snow...

With all this talk about Jays place in July I really want to make the trek out there but without the RV. I don't think the RV will be where I want it to by July. Will the tribe allow a Subaru to join...lol

The RV is all good with all systems but the 454 and tranny would be need to be looked at in detail to be sure it's not a ticking time bomb. I'm no mechanic that's for sure but it seems to run and shift very well. No oil leaks and it doesn't burn oil. What do you pros suggest in doing to know how strong it is? Thought about having a inspection done at a shop to just mainly to go through the drivetrain etc.

Take care all,
Old 02-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #3889

Goooodmorning all y’all!!!

It’s another beautiful sunny Arizona day. I’m running late, I’d planned to hit a Huachuca Mountain hiking trail by 8am, so much for good intentions LOL! It’s still not crushingly hot out so getting an early start’s not so important.

Tomorrow’s a Pima County gun show. They’re always fun to go if for no better reason than to people watch all the camo clad hardcore wackadoodles. They are all very manly indeed! As for me, I’m into classic SXS’s, hunting and shooting those old double guns mentally puts me into an earlier simpler time here in America. It’s very refreshing.

I’ve had lower back problems since I acquired two compressed discs when I injured my back in the 6th grade. I’ve found the key to my back problems has been to exercise regularly, stay active, and keep my weight down. I’d usually start having troubles when I’d go through a period of inactivity and weight gain. Hay fever season and sneezing were a problem too, until I began slathering my morning cereal with local honey and the hay fever went away.

I hope folks here writing from the Great White North are doing well and staying safe. Lynne, I’m not surprised about your successful trip to work in your Prius. While the car has awfully low ground clearance, I’m sure its front wheel drive really pulled you through. Front wheel drive really rocks in ice and snow! As far as I’m concerned it’s the next best thing to AWD.

Time to hit the trail!

From the land of sunny days, starry starry nights, and ZZ Top wannabe’s.

One of my favorite area photos. I hope I'm not being redundant here.

Steve
Old 02-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #3890

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Octane, Usually when I have an engine that I just got or don't have a history on what I do is install (if it doesn't have one) a mechanical oil gauge to check the real pressure (I don't trust an electrical one) also I do a cylinder leak down on all the cylinders, that will tell how good the rings and valves are. If everything checks out there I would do a complete tuneup and change all the belts and hoses. For the trany the first thing I do is drop the oil pan and check the condition of whats left in the pan after you dump the oil, most of the time there is a magnet in the pan check for metal stuck to or laying in the pan a little is normal, but VERY little. of course look at the condition of the oil it'll be a little dark but have a clean smell not burnt. other than that it's alot of visual checking of brake and fuel lines, ujoints shouldn't have any play, to check them you have to block your wheels (front AND back) to make sure the MH doesn't move put it in neutral and wiggle back and forth any play....replace. If the shop that you go to has an oscilloscope set up that can be done in a very short time and tell you all sorts of things about and engine, but very few shops can do this or have a "Tech" that knows how.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:04 PM   #3891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Octane, Usually when I have an engine that I just got or don't have a history on what I do is install (if it doesn't have one) a mechanical oil gauge to check the real pressure (I don't trust an electrical one) also I do a cylinder leak down on all the cylinders, that will tell how good the rings and valves are.
What is a cylinder leak down? What I've always done is to do a compression check and then squirt some oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and then redo the compression check, noting if there's a large improvement in compression after the oils been squirted into the cylinder. Also with the compression check I look for pressure variances between cylinders, usually an indicator of a bad valve.

Steve
Old 02-26-2016, 12:24 PM   #3892

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Steve, We have done the same thing, but that really only checks the ring condition, A leak down is when you hook up a differential gauge set to the cylinder you want to check and put a measured amount of air (psi) on one side of the gauge set then read the other side and you can see the percentage of loss of pressure in the cyl. now while the air is pressurizing the cyl. if there is a loss you can hear it, where you hear it tells you what is leaking, for instance if you put you ear up to the oil cap and hear air rings are bypassing, carb/throttle body valves are not seating properly or are burnt and in extreme cases bubbling in the radiator is 1. blown head gasket 2. cracked block/head. It is just another way of checking
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0226161309.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	464.1 KB
ID:	119909