Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:55 PM   #3963

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good Morning Everyone! Coffee went down great today!
Just had a visit from Jira's cousin and she brought some fried banana's and chicken /w/ sticky rice! Mmmmmmm!
Thanks for all the well wishes, Everyone!
Captain Popeye Sparrow?
Bap, I think you need to go see the Dr. like Frank said. The rash is telling you something!?
Aliens, Probing,, Popeye, you crack me up!
Tim, I would go see the Pow-woW! Sounds like a great time! Have you tried the breakfast/lunch spot I told you about yet?
Everyone have a great day! Rail!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2016, 07:01 AM   #3964

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Morning
Currently 60
Going to be in the 80ties
Looking like highs only in the 70ties next week brrrrrr,
LOL
Rail we haven't, kind of not sure if Joe can cross the border and get back in, his passport expired. I am hoping he get back in with that and his current drivers license. Not sure where we would cross.
Hey
that would be something we could do today. Gordon said he would like to show us the ropes when they get back from skiing.

Went out yesterday afternoon and took a bunch of picture's. They have cleared the other side of the river and its all sand and they made nice beaches. Not sure what's going in there but it will be nice.
Met some of the other tenants at the park. Yep again friendly folks.

We can hear the trains across the border Joe says its all the MH trying to cross the border... LOL
Reminds me of being at my Brothers place.
Speaking of my brother his Golden Lab had 12 little ones. They'll have there hands full for awhile.
That's about it from my keyboard,
Those on the road be safe,
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:16 AM   #3965

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning Gang,

Yum on the coffee this am. Sitting here watching the birds hit the feeders. The Cardinals look lovely against the evergreen trees. It's currently 27 and going to 39 today I believe. 48 tomorrow supposedly and then keep warming up after that. We could still get some nasty before it is done but at least we are on the downside of winter.

Bap, I sent you a PM. Please go to your doctor. Rail, glad things turned out well with you. I had a trigger thumb released 2 yrs ago and I had been told a long time ago to use a vibrator over a scar because it breaks down the scar tissue. I used that on both my neck surgery and thumb surgery sites and it worked really well. If you have a little hand vibrator try it and see if it helps you.

Steve, Would love to look at that old 130 yr old gun. Don't see what the issue is but it seems to be a problem. Guess some people would go overboard with gun things.

Our rig is a 2004 and it has the old batwing TV antenna. While we are replacing the TV with a flat screen is it a good idea to replace the antenna too? I am just wondering if the technology has changed on them also and the new TV won't work well with the old antenna. We also have a satellite dome on the roof which we don't plan on activating until we I retire and we are in the rig more than a weekend at a time. Will that need to be replaced as well?

Hope all of you have a great day today. Tim, what is the name of the CG you are at? I am keeping a list of CG's I read about on here for future reference. Sounds like this is one I would appreciate. My SIL lives in Yuma so would make seeing her easier.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:08 AM   #3966

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey beamisl,
Rivers Edge RV Resort Yuma Arizona,
But it's really in California a stones throw to Yuma,
totally different than the park in Quartszite.
I would highly recommend it. Its worth the extra 100 miles, Trust me.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:20 AM   #3967

Goooodmorning all y’all!!!

I’m enjoying delicious coffee on this wonderfully cool Arizona morning. I acquired a new neighbor last night, he and his wife arrived from Fairbanks AK via Phoenix. Nice folks, I gave them the skinny regarding local things to see and do. The Sierra Vista area gets many Alaskans and Canadians.

I have a plan for posting a photo of my 130 year old project gun. I’ll try posting it as an edit, see if that works. I can’t wait to shoot it, however I have about $20 worth of parts I need to order before I can do that. This limited budget business gets old when you’ve enjoyed a life of generally instant gratification.

I saw Whiskey Tango Foxtrot yesterday at the movies. You folks who’ve been in the military know what the title means and the movie was aptly named. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, though the physical depictions of Afghanistan were so bleak that I almost walked out in the beginning and the 7th century social mores, mainly imposed on the women, was truly awful. Tina Fey played an excellent roll, it’s good to see that she can do something more than Sara Palin impressions.

All y’all with your many maladies… get well and stay well! Ya hear? And those of you in the Great White North, start counting down the days to that beautiful spring weather.

Steve

I hope this works. I purposely left the scratches and dents when I stripped the old finish. I figured the scars gave the old smoke pole character.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:47 AM   #3968

Good Morning Everybody! Been busy trying to finish getting rid of my glass shop, going to hand the keys over today to my landlord and get my tools out so he can try to rent it again. Pickup is coming along, going in the shop on tuesday for the new top. Sally has a Dr.s appointment on monday, she hasn't been feeling to well lately, hopefully it will be ok! Till she feels better we are holding off on going to Fla. , she wants to go up to the Thousand Islands upstate ny, but to cold right now. I also want to get up to see my Mom up by Binghampton. Maybe we will get to meet Rail as he said he will head up there back in another post. Would be cool to meet Terry and Eleanor up there too! Stay Healthy and Happy! Bobby
Old 03-05-2016, 10:29 AM   #3969
cwk

Good morning from somewhat warm FL. Highs should be about 70. I know, I know. I am not complaining. We grew up in NJ and have a good idea of what snow and ice is. I don't miss shoveling at all!

I've been following this thread for a while, but have not really posted much. I have been observing and learning a lot. I really appreciate hearing thoughts and opinions from actual RV owners and users. It is so much more meaningful than any salesman's set of "stories" or opinions. Being relatively new to the RV world, I do not have much to contribute at this point to the group. But, I hope I can some day.

My wife and I are giving some serious consideration to full-timing (looking at a Class A) and have started to look at coaches. We have an opportunity to shed the S&B soon, so we may seize the opportunity to change lifestyles as well. Retirement can be in a few months, or a few years. We have not yet decided. In the process of preparing for another move (we have had a few over the years), we are realizing how much stuff, that we never use, we have accumulated. It may be time to downsize. We no longer have much family in the area, and the granddaughter (and her parents ) are in a different state, so relocation is on our agenda anyway.

We visited the Jacksonville, FL RV show last month. Basically we were overwhelmed with the number of rigs and the crowds. It may or may not have been a good place to start learning. Trying to imagine two of us living in one of these when another 5-10 people were looking inside the same RV at the same time did not help. But we did start to learn.

Yesterday we visited a local RV dealer and got inside about 6-8 rigs. We learned a lot again, including what items that are absolutes, some maybes, and some absolute nots. The dealer had some new Newmars and Forest River (Georgetown) rigs. We were also shown a few used RVs. We liked parts of a few different ones, but not one had everything we want/need. But, it was a good first trip for learning.

I have also found a local RV campground for a Class A if we want to stay with our jobs for a few months or years before we retire and can do more traveling. My wife has summers off, and my work usually slows down to almost nothing in the summer, so it might be a good way to get away from the Florida summer heat, but return in the fall, doing that for a few more years. This is taking a lot of thought and planning.

I have also been following another thread or two on iRV2 regarding Class A selections and actual user experiences. I am finding that very, very helpful. In fact, I am enjoying a lot of these forums. So, thanks to all that have contributed both past and present.

Steve,

That gun sure looks pretty!

I agree with leaving the "character" marks. To me it means it is authentic and has seen real use, as opposed to a reproduction piece.

Now, I need to go back to work (yes, it is Saturday). Enjoy your day!
cwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #3970

Beautiful work on the SxS Steve....she is a real looker...

Coffee wonderful as always and a beautiful day in Southeast Texas...gonna pull the gooseneck in to the back yard so when the Dr's give me the ok I can start a paint job on her and redo all the lights to leds.

Well not much else happening just hope everyone enjoys their days and project's....sounds like I really need to head to Az. Weather and scenery sound really apealing....

Well stay safe and enjoy life....just remember everything we think matters really doesn't...

Mk
Old 03-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #3971

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Charles,

Welcome to the forum and the 'Good Morning Gang". We love new members.

Like you I am fairly new to this also. Came here July of 2014 and we just bought our Class A MH May last year so still under a year and I live in MI so it has been in storage for MONTHS. Darn it.

I learned a lot here. The people are very helpful. So, this is some of the things I have seen and learned and hopefully they will help you.

If you are going to finance a MH, do so before getting rid of the S&B. Banks can be hesitant to loan to you when you have no permanent address. Just keep this in mind.
Why buy new? Buy a good used rig and miss out on the depreciation that happens on all new vehicles. Go to PPL Motorhomes website out of Texas and look at what they have available.

Go to a RV dealership and sit in a rig for a while. Get rid of the salesperson, lay on the couch, lay in the bed, get in the shower and pretend to be showering. Is there enough room for your arms to be raised to wash your hair? Is the TV at a good angle that you can look at it or is it going to cause a crick in your neck.

STORAGE, STORAGE, STORAGE! Is there enough? What are you going to want to take with you? Is there enough storage for it? Just imagine what you can put away and what you need to take.

Floorplan is considered the most important by a lot of people. I agree, along with the storage. At the PPL website you can easily look at floorplans. If you plan to live in this make sure you both are comfortable with the space.

Get someone to check out the rig for you since this is new. Yes, we had a friend check out the rig we bought. We knew nothing. If you want to PM me, please do. We can talk there or here.

Good luck and get your wife on if they have questions too. Lynne

Steve, that gun is beautiful!
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #3972

Vintage RV Owners Club
A nice sunny breezy 69 degrees today. I'm looking at a solid week of pretty much solid rain/thunderstorms coming my way so I went around the old wreck I live in another time and did up anything that looked even slightly like it was sketchy (just a hand sized place where the roof coat came up in a non-cirtical spot, and a few small dollops of dycore self leveling on a major problem spot that's heavily patched over. ) I think I have my ducks in a row and it's been dry on the minor storms so far but 3+ inches of rain will be the big test. keeping my fingers crossed.

Other than that just did some cleaning/flushing out holding tanks and topping off my fresh water so I don't have to do it in the middle of a storm.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:46 PM   #3973

Tim
Joe needs to check with the US side of the crossing to see if the expired will be accepted for re-entry BEFORE going across!

Rail
If I put a boat on my roof ,,,will that make it a houseboat?????
I also wonder if it would be worth using a boat that cost more than my rig is worth to fix the roof ?

When you suggested the boat I kept seeing an image of Captain Jack Sparrow in the sail skiff after the crew of the Black Pearl set him adrift during the mutiny. So I was trying out different versions of adopting the name....NAAAAAAAHHH sticking with popeye.

beamis
The batwing will work , they do have a small add on antenna that attaches to the batwing for improved digital uhf reception.
Don't know about the dome/dish , you have to ask the provider if it's still the same satellite.?

When digital first came out , I cut the UHF section ( the end with all the short little elements aka Yagi) off an old rooftop tv antenna and it worked GREAT !

Bobby
We'll add Sally to the forum get well list.

Steve
Be careful how many forums you get addicted to , you won't have time for anything else ! Not that that's a bad thing.
Don't ask me how I know.......

To all of you that are posting those warm temp readings.
I'll be posting the shoreside temps here in AUGUST !

ws
1991 ain't such a wreck , mine's an '81 !
Roof leaks are such fun! Hope your patching holds up....
Old 03-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #3974

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpopeye View Post
ws
1991 ain't such a wreck , mine's an '81 !
Roof leaks are such fun! Hope your patching holds up....
It's the condition that makes a wreck not the age IMO.

This thing hadn't been taken care of too well. It's got 66K miles on it which isn't too bad but it had been sitting since at least 2012 (tag expired then I bet it was sitting since at least 2010) and even though it had been under a carport it came with some dry rot in a couple of places,
particularly in the back corner where it looked like they backed into something, The airbags in the suspension are totally shot and we needed to free up the brake calipers so we could drive it 30 miles to its present location last summer. That + mice and pretty much all the sealing material being the original from 1991 as far as I can tell made for a lot of work. At least all the appliances and internal coach systems work pretty well though.

But it's the only roof I have over my head so I do what I can with it. If I start making decent money again I would like to make it like new again but that's pretty much a pipe dream at the moment. As far as a place to live I suppose It's accomplishing its mission but it's seen a lot better days.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:02 PM   #3975

ws
That story is close to mine.
We're just doin' what we need to do Bud.
Just plunked down $1200 replacing brake parts , lots of brake parts.
Probably more than the whole rig is worth.......I'm working on the chassis systems first for safety. Then might strip it down to the floor and do a Total Rebuild like Terry, look for that thread if you haven't seen it already!
(Be prepared to do some reading to get through it though.4638 posts !)
Old 03-05-2016, 07:01 PM   #3976

Vintage RV Owners Club
I read through a good chunk of it when I joined but lost track somewhere along the line. I love reading about the stuff being done to restore these old RVs. If I didn't have to sleep in it at the end of the day and had a bigger budget I would tear into it a bit deeper. I have a fair amount of time and frustration and about 2k worth of repairs into it now though and I'm not about to give up. It's just likely to stay my living quarters for the foreseeable future until I can afford to do it up right. It has grown on me a bit but how nice i am referring to it kind of depends on the day