Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:06 AM   #4005
cwk

Good morning, all.

Been up and working for hours. Taking a break to say hi.

Expected high of 78F this afternoon. Currently 73F and sunny.

Frank, We are working on schedule to visit.

Lynne, Bev appreciated the note and the offer to talk. She's not sure what questions she has yet. We're not sure what you mean by "de-oxidizing."

Rail, Thanks for the list of preferred manufacturers. That's a long list, but looks like a good one from what little we know right now.

Now, we are starting to get overwhelmed by floor plans. Being methodical, I might need to start a spreadsheet to keep track of all the options.

We did look at some new Newmar's at the first dealer we visited last week. We liked the bathroom across the back of the rig. I am not sure if this floorplan is available in any of the older rigs, and by anyone else. Dropping 200K+, then taking a huge depreciation hit in the first few years, is not something we are going to do.

We are not sure what is a reasonable budget just yet, but an older, dollar-depreciated rig seems to be just fine. I can do some upgrades myself, if they are needed. Probably most of what needs to be done inside the house I can figure out. And, I should be able to do house maintenance, and the routine, daily, vehicle maintenance. Larger vehicle maintenance may best be left to the pro's, but my background in auto maintenance, tune-ups, brake jobs, parts replacement, etc. should be of some value. So, an older, well-cared-for, rig doesn't scare me. I might even be crazy enough to consider tackling an exterior paint job if the price is low enough. But that would take time I might not have available right now.

Well, back to work. Got to keep paying the bills. (Still thinking that not having S&B costs and maintenance will be a big plus.)

Have a great day, all!

cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2016, 03:11 PM   #4006

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good afternoon Gang,
Charles is right, beautiful day, it is in the mid 80's down here with a nice breeze.
Has anyone heard from Bap and how his neck is doing? Also Jay, I know he was in the middle of moving and trying to sell the S&B in the north west, hope that he sees this and sops in to say hi.
Charles,
looking forward to the meet.
Well gang, wings and craft beer on tap time, so catch you all later,
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:57 PM   #4007

Goooodafternoon all y’all!

My morning coffee was terrific. I awoke to mid-30’s temps and rain. Today is my weekly +4 mile Carr Canyon/Lower Waterfall Conditioning Hike. Looking outside the fragile flower part of me wanted to bail, the other part said “Steve if you’d driven 260 miles to Grinnell, IA from Naperville, IL Friday afternoon for a weekend of pheasant hunting and you awoke Saturday morning to rain or snow would you not go hunting?” Based on past experience, the answer of course was “Hell yes, I’d go hunting!” So I poured my last cup of hot coffee into a to-go mug and headed to the meetup location. I’m happy to say that by the time I got there the rain had changed to light snow. One other person, Nina the group founder, showed up. Nina had spent seven years in Alaska and was no stranger to inclement weather so off we went and the hike in the snow was delightful!

When I got back for lunch I cooked up a batch of marinated quail breasts and some Rice-A-Roni. Absolutely, delicious! Life is good.

So to all you winter sufferers in the Great White North, I probably awoke this morning to colder weather than all y’all did and it was great.

Steve
Old 03-08-2016, 07:07 PM   #4008

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Evening Gang,

51 on the way into work this am while drinking my coffee. 72 on the way home! MI right??????? Yehaa! I love it.

Charles, The sun tends to fade the outer coat of paint. It's called oxidization. Looks dirty or faded and the shine is gone. Like when the car paint looks faded or blah? You clean off the oxidization and have nice shiny paint.

Thought about something else to consider. If you are stopped for a break and cannot put out your slides, can you still open your fridge to get a drink or does the slide close in on it? Can you get in your bed without slides out. This can be important if you plan to stop at Walmarts, or rest areas, or truck stops and cannot put slides out.

Boy I hope our weather holds. Supposed to for next 7 to 8 days and I may just have to go do some target practice tomorrow. Yeah!
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:24 PM   #4009

Gulf Streamers Club
Evening all. I have been visiting my MH and sister and mother, and this time brother, outside Gatesville, Tx for 10 days. Doing a little maintenance on MH and enjoying the early spring weather. Highs from 60's to near 80's. Rain has started for 5 days and driving back to Round Rock today I ran into very heavy rain, the 20 mph on 3 lane interstate kind of rain. Very pleasant 10 days. Now some light projects here at house. This has certainly been an unusual winter. Hope you cold country guys are finally seeing the end of the really bad and the start of no more salt on the roads.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:16 AM   #4010

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good Morning Everyone! Coffee is going down good today!
Another day of re-hab is in the book's,
and when I got there, they told me no melted paraffin wax today! Someone had turned the heat dial up to the max setting, and would have taken the skin right off of me! So I got the heated wraps, which is ok, but not quite the same! 1 more day Friday, and I am done!!
Charles, that list can be changed around to what manufactures you prefer. There are a few more that are at the top of the list that I did not mention. The bus conversions, (Prevost, CC,) Newell, Foretravel, come to mind! But even used, they command a very high price, and the maintenance costs are very high on those too!
Lynne, I hope the weather holds out for you and stays warm till spring!
Frank, I am wondering about Jay, Curtis, and Bap also! Hope they are just busy!
Tim, you need to start doing what I have been doing for the last couple months, I copy and paste everything from another site, so I don't lose it all! I was getting very frustrated also!
Steve, your dinner sounded very good!! Yummy!!
Ron, hope the work on the MH goes easy, enjoy that Texas weather!!
Everyone have a great day! Rail!
Old 03-09-2016, 05:44 AM   #4011

Good Morning!

56* here, headed to high 70's. Last 4-5 days have been great.

Sounds like everyone here is doing pretty well. Nobody caught up in the huge rains in the middle south? Hearing some areas are getting up to 10" of rain.

Big news for me to share,,,, I gave notice at work yesterday, I am retiring April 29th!!! Kinda a scary and exciting thing all wrapped in one. I've always worked, first job 1968 and never stopped, this will be a major change.

I have no plans to slow down. I am by nature a active busy person, have a ton of projects,,, and things I would like to do. Everyone tells me in not too long I will wonder how I had time to work.

Debbie has another 15 months to go. So my first year plus will be limited to around here until she joins me.

Have a great day all!

1 month, 20 days, 10 hours, 15 mins and 40 secs to go.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:07 AM   #4012
cwk

Good morning, guys!

55F at 6:30 AM. Should hit 80F this afternoon. Big storm not forecast for us until Sunday.

Rail, thanks for the additional info.

Bev and I were talking this morning about how we would want some "office space" to set up our computers. Right now we are both still working. Using the dining room table for computers means we would have to eat meals on our laps! Maybe removing one of the extra sofas (we don't need to sleep 6-8) and replacing it with an "office"? I think we will wander over to the full-timers sub-forum and see what we can learn.

Lloyd, Congratulations!

Steve, Give me snow over cold rain any day!

Lynn, So how do you remove the oxidation? Just a good wax job? Something else? The two rigs that we test drove: we checked out the walkway and access to beds, bath, kitchen, fridge, etc. when the slides were in. I agree: very important.

Work has me real busy. And, I have to cover the broken skylight in my TT before that rain hits us in a few days. Since I use it as a shop trailer, it does not have the shower anymore. I ordered a piece of EPDM and some 4" EternaBond tape. I need to climb up, remove the outer, broken, skylight (inside is already gone), screw down some plywood over the hole, then cover it with the EPDM. Essentially it will be a 3'x3' patch. I am hoping the materials get delivered before the storm. Otherwise, I need to throw some plastic over it and weight it down to keep it in place.

Enjoy your day!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:36 AM   #4013

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CONGRATES LLOYD,
Now you can come too Minn. to do some fishing and not work...
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:49 AM   #4014

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning All,

Lloyd, Congratulations! I will probably be going out same time as your wife. Can't wait! What did you notice letter sound like. Bye, I have camping to do?

Charles, When you go to Walmart and look at the waxing and washing products you will find a product called Mcguiar's Ultimate Compound. This is what I used, there are others. I used round little blue pads "Auto Drive Microfiber Applicator pads".

I put the compound on the pad and started on the rear of the coach which was badly oxidized. In circular motions I rubbed and rubbed and rubbed. It is a lot of work but the finished product is amazing. My coach was so bad that I had to go over it twice. You can use a electric polisher but I wanted to check every inch of the rig and didn't mind the physical work.

It took me most of the summer. I removed any loose decals, evened some of them out, and then put four layers of wax on it. This summer I will, after washing it, put a fifth coat of wax on it. It shines and the water beads off. I only have two coats of wax on the roof. I am not so concerned of the shine there as the shed of water but don't want to slip off the roof while up there.

Some people just want their rig clean and are not concerned about shine. I just wanted mine to shine and repel water better.

Coffee is good this am. I love when I have a day off and can just relax while drinking it. 54 this am and going to 60's. Snow from last week is gone. Little rain so far but will wash the salt away. Maybe I can keep my car clean than.

Got to go, you all have a wonderful day.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:54 AM   #4015

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Lloyd, that is good news about your upcoming retirement. You will very soon wonder how you ever had time to go to w--k. The best thing about it is now you don't have to rush a project because you are running out of time to finish it. Charles, I will go over some of the ins and outs of full timing when we meet, rather than try to type it all out here. Reading on the full timers forum is a good idea. hint, is to write down any questions that you might have and you won't miss any while you are reading.
Have a great day all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:48 AM   #4016

Coffee is good this morning back at work after the wife had a procedure to help correct a paralyzed vocal chords yesterday...

Cwk alot of great people and resources on here ...just take a deep breath and have patience and you will not be overwhelmed.....it is daunting st first though...

Well that's about it from southeast Texas be safe everyone and enjoy life.....that's what it's for!!!

Mk
Old 03-09-2016, 09:06 AM   #4017

Goooodmorning all y’all!!!

My coffee’s great, the rain’s moved on and it’s sunny out again - WOOOHOOO!!!

Steve
Old 03-09-2016, 11:03 AM   #4018

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Lloyd, great news on the retirement, you made it! MK, hopefully everything is okay with your DW.

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote