Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #4145

Goooodmorning all y’all!!!

I awoke at the Reef Townsite Campground this morning after a decent night’s sleep. At the campgrounds 7,200’ altitude it’d dropped to below freezing during the early morning hours but fortunately I had my old winter sleeping bag so everything was fine. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring any coffee. Does anyone out there have a problem with caffeine withdrawal? I drink a lot of coffee and shortly after I awoke at 6am I began to get a headache, I hardly ever get headaches! This damn headache persisted and got worse through breakfast to the point where I said tohell with hiking Carr Peak and staying another night and I drove home. I will return in a week or two when we have a moonless night so I can sleep under the Milky Way in all its glory. And, you can be sure I’ll remember to bring my damned coffee (or at least a can of Red Bull) next time!

BTW the Reef Townsite and Ramsey Vista Campgrounds are beautiful! The best part is, mid-week this time of year I have these semi-remote campgrounds all to myself! And, they’re less than 20 miles from Sierra Vista. However, for the last 6 miles Carr Canyon Road turns into a rough gravel/cobble, cliff-hugging and single lane El Camino de la Muerte! I’m sure that turns many people around, LOL.

Bobby, don’t worry about giving advice and opinions, I love getting advice! I don’t always take it and some is ignorant BS but there’s a lot of great advice given out on these forums that’s rock solid and I love getting it and the price is always right! BTW whenever I post and ultimately solve a problem I do return with the outcome so that others are helped too.

Now that my headache's finally getting laid to rest I have to clean out my Caravan and put my camping gear away.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2016, 01:52 PM   #4146

I All!

Well, long story short,,,, I last posted on the 12th. The next morning my Dad was rushed to the hospital with heart issues. He was in and out of the hospital 3 times in between that all, and we lost him last Friday night. He was just too worn out to continue.

As the oldest of 4 kids (imagine me being a kid) I have been very busy the last couple weeks. Mom has been with Debbie and I, and of course after 65 years of marriage she is at a loss.

The doctors thought they had this, and sent him home last week, he was doing well so Deb and I headed out as planned the Perry, Ga FMCA rally. However we ended up coming back the very next day as he took a turn for the worse.

Gonna miss my Dad, we were close, and best buddies. I am extremely lucky that mine had so many years here. So many of my friends didn't have that advantage! If you still have yours, hug your Dad!

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:56 PM   #4147

Winnebago Owners Club
Lloyd; Sorry for your loss. It is always traumatic to lose someone but a close family member is worse. Best to you and your family in your time of grief.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #4148
cwk

LLoyd,

Sorry for your loss. My wife and I have both gone through this (4 times). But, that never makes it any easier to lose a parent.

Obviously, your Mom needs the kids' support right now, and that is what you are doing. That's great.

I still miss my Dad, and remember lots of good times together and what he taught me. I inherited (only child) all of his tools and still use some of them at my work to this day. When I pick one of them up, I am reminded of him, look upwards, and say "Thank You" with a smile on my face.

Your advice is correct. Hug your parents and let them know how much you love and appreciate them. Yes, they know it, but it is always great to hear. I know, because our son let's me know it, and I am humbled and honored when he does so.
cwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:14 PM   #4149

Hey geo I drink 12 to 20 cups a day myself and yes a headache is perfectly normal when I miss my coffee....

Octanefam just pop in whenever you can I read this and a few other threads every day but I don't always post....and you do learn alot...the wealth of info is awesome....

Well have a great day all

Mk
Old 03-24-2016, 02:36 PM   #4150

Winnebago Owners Club
Lloyd sorry for you loss. Losing anyone isn't easy but losing a parent his hard. Loss my dad when I was 11 :(
Old 03-24-2016, 02:48 PM   #4151

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Lloyd,
Rita and I are so sorry to hear about your Dad, our deepest sympathies to you and your family, especially your mother. We lost mom almost 4 years ago now, and it took Dad over a year to get his feet back under him(63 years together) Just give your Mom all the support that she needs. If you need to vent, or a shoulder to lean on, you have my number.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #4152

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Lloyd, So sorry for your loss, as has been said it's never easy, especially when so close.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:22 PM   #4153

Lloyd , so sorry for the loss of your dad ! I dread getting that phone call some day from my sister upstate. May God give your Mom and your family Solace that he is no longer suffering. Bobby
Old 03-24-2016, 05:31 PM   #4154

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Missed something here? What are you talking about?

ronspradley
Guy came on here talking about doing a frame off restoration on a 1984 Winnebago 22 Chieftain, expressed my opinion that it would not be a cost effective or successful job , without some beams to hold it together trying to get it off the frame! I have some rust on my frame on my 88 , but told him I got older and smarter and liked my FICO score where it is and would not tackle such a venture, LOL! He never posted again! Also commented on some young men working on a MH they bought cheap and told them I was glad to see young men have the desire to fix it up, never saw them post again! Just trying not to be a pest! Bobby
Old 03-24-2016, 05:43 PM   #4155

Lloyd I am also so so sorry for your loss...my dad passed away in a car accident 19 years ago that was the other guys fault....my mother was in the truck with him and it broke her c2....really a devastating expirence it might be hard for some to hear and I mean this in the best of ways....at least you had so many years with him....wish I was as lucky as you to have had him there....

Miss my dad every day....like Frank said all you can do is be there for your mom she needs your support.....we are all here for you just reach out...prayers are sent your way and hugs to help comfort you......

It's like my second family here .....

May peace and comfort find you and your family.

Mk
Old 03-24-2016, 05:44 PM   #4156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Good Evening Gang,
Flight was about 20 minutes early this morning, but not to worry, we were already there. Granddaughter's girl friend had a panic attack at the airport before boarding, so she didn't make the flight. Granddaughter had a good flight and is here safe and saound.

Bap,
You and Deb did a superb job on that little camper, anyone would be proud to take it out and use it.

Charles,
We enjoyed your visit also. Taking a breather and continuing your look for what you want is a smart move. Glad that you both are feeling better.

Tim,
I really hope that you can make it to Jay's. With Terry and Eleanor and Rita and I there and maybe Gordon and Janet, I can guarantee that you will have a good time and won't be as bad as your stay at the other campsite.

Gordon,
Rita and I only get excited about leaving when we are heading to a new adventure, glad that we don't have a S&B anymore to tie us down. But I do understand about you and Janet getting excited to head back home, and am happy that you can still be excited about traveling in between.

Bobby,
Our prayers are with Sally. Hope that you can get all your stuff sorted and sold before too long. Have you considered pulling the Dakota with a car trailer? I did that with my Southwind class A, and didn't have to worry about a tow bar, braking system , rigging up tail lights, etc. It was also easy to load and tie down. The only downside is on shorter sites you had to find a place to store the trailer.

Have a great evening all,
Frank
Yes Frank I thought about Getting one of those all aluminum trailers but the hitch on our Winnie is rated for 3500 max and the pickup is like 3300, also spending 4-6 thousand on something we'd have to store would be more pain then getting under her and disconnecting the driveshaft. Bobby
Old 03-24-2016, 05:47 PM   #4157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocritter View Post
Goooodmorning all yíall!!!

I awoke at the Reef Townsite Campground this morning after a decent nightís sleep. At the campgrounds 7,200í altitude itíd dropped to below freezing during the early morning hours but fortunately I had my old winter sleeping bag so everything was fine. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring any coffee. Does anyone out there have a problem with caffeine withdrawal? I drink a lot of coffee and shortly after I awoke at 6am I began to get a headache, I hardly ever get headaches! This damn headache persisted and got worse through breakfast to the point where I said tohell with hiking Carr Peak and staying another night and I drove home. I will return in a week or two when we have a moonless night so I can sleep under the Milky Way in all its glory. And, you can be sure Iíll remember to bring my damned coffee (or at least a can of Red Bull) next time!

BTW the Reef Townsite and Ramsey Vista Campgrounds are beautiful! The best part is, mid-week this time of year I have these semi-remote campgrounds all to myself! And, theyíre less than 20 miles from Sierra Vista. However, for the last 6 miles Carr Canyon Road turns into a rough gravel/cobble, cliff-hugging and single lane El Camino de la Muerte! Iím sure that turns many people around, LOL.

Bobby, donít worry about giving advice and opinions, I love getting advice! I donít always take it and some is ignorant BS but thereís a lot of great advice given out on these forums thatís rock solid and I love getting it and the price is always right! BTW whenever I post and ultimately solve a problem I do return with the outcome so that others are helped too.

Now that my headache's finally getting laid to rest I have to clean out my Caravan and put my camping gear away.

Steve
Thanx Steve, I don't mind not getting a reply, I just worry if I discouraged anyone from going on with a project! Bobby
Old 03-24-2016, 06:02 PM   #4158

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Bobby, Google driveshaft disconnect, they make a way to just pull a cable and disconnect your driveshaft for towing.

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote