Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2016, 04:44 AM   #4187
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Good morning, all.

Had a nice Easter here. Hope everyone else did as well.

Gordon, We are not looking at any particular price range at this point. The 2013 Dutch Star and Essex is what the dealer chose to show us when we asked for "used DPs" to see. He also showed us a 2007 DS. We are still in the learning process. We have learned that these are depreciating assets and in another year or two the same rigs can be had for less dollars up front. Although there will probably be immediate costs, such as replacement tires.

Frank, Thanks for the support. We only spent about an hour (it was almost closing time at the dealer, anyway) but we are getting better at recognizing what is important, to us anyway. It was an hour well spent.

Have a great day, guys!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2016, 06:57 AM   #4188

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Rail,
We are excited for you, I have no doubts that you will be thrilled when you see Mona.

Charles,
You and Beverly picked up things really fast, so even though we bombarded you with things, more of it sank in than you realized at the time. When the right coach comes along, you will know it as soon as you walk inside, that is when you really check out the mechanicals and the structure of the coach. The more you look at and the different styles the more you will zoom in on what is important and what is not.

Have a great day all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:51 AM   #4189

Goooodmorning all y’all!!!

Coffee’s wonderful this morning. That old Mr. Coffee I began using a week ago makes great coffee!

Yesterday afternoon I went hiking with several friends and afterwards, during the post-hike revelry at the Native Grill & Wings, one fellow talked of his driving trip to Alaska last summer. Driving to Alaska on the Alaska Highway is something I’ve wanted to do for over 50 years, now I’m thinking this coming summer might be the time for it. If I go I’ll drive and live out of my Dodge Caravan while I’m there. Caravans are easy to turn into miniature Class B’s. Simply take out the rear seats, put in a 1’ high 4’x6’ platform in the back, stow all your camping gear underneath and sleep on top. I built such a setup back in the 80’s and 90’s when I’d take my kids camping and it worked great! To paraphrase Queen “Thunderbolts and lightning, very very exciting!”

I thought up a new name for my home-on-wheels. It’s had three names so far, I’ve been having trouble settling on one. The first was “Escape Plan”, the second (after I’d driven it several thousand miles) was “The Behemoth”, the third and present is “Sun Chaser” which describes me in winter, not fleeing the cold and snow but rather the dreary overcast northern winters. Lately I’ve been reading Craig Johnson’s Longmire book series and he’s constantly referring to his Indian friend’s pickup truck nicknamed “Rezzdawg” (reservation dog). My RV runs great and looks just fine from 10’ away but cosmetically it’s seen better days, I’m thinking “Housedawg” might be a good name.

The suns shining, I’m on my last cup of coffee, it’ time to start my day.

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #4190

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Evening Gang,

Hi Bill and Kay, Welcome to the coffee gang. Join in and get rid of that snow! Yuck, I am hating that stuff and I live in MI. Retirement cannot come too soon.

Coffee was great this AM. It was warm yesterday and went back down and got cold today and supposed to be back up tomorrow. I am confused and don't like the cold spells.

Harley, woohoo, glad you are getting the TH out soon, know these winters have been a drag on your builds and fun.

Rail, it is getting closer until you and Mona can get up and close. Very soon. The rest of us either get ours out of cold storage or travel up North or home. Everyone moving in their own direction.

Seeing a lot of Robins for several weeks now so not too long off. Have a good night all.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:46 PM   #4191

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good Morning Everyone! Coffee is very good today!
Lynne, Robins are always a good sign!
Steve, the Caravan would be better on gas for sure, but the "Housedawg" would be way more comfortable! JMHO! The bathroom convenience's alone, would make my mind up for me!
Frank, It will be good to meet up with you and Rita, for sure! Looking forward to it!!
Charles, have fun with the hunt, finding the right one for you both is an adventure in itself!
Everyone have a great day! 18 Days! Rail!
Old 03-28-2016, 08:51 PM   #4192

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Rail,
Yes it will be good meeting up, and it will be even better seeing you with Mona.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:03 AM   #4193
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Good morning, all!

Yup, it really is 2 AM! Just woke up thinking about a work project, and just had to get some of it done.

Steve, I've been on part of the Alcan Highway. Not sure if they call it that anymore. It was back in the early 70's. I had a 1972 VW camper (think VW bus with a pop-up! I slept in the "cot" up in the pop-up area. It even had a closet, a sink, and an ice box of some sort.) I guess that means I've been a RV'er for longer than I thought. I took the trip in late May with the thought that it would be after the winter (no snow) and before the hot summer weather and lots of summer vacationers. Well, that part worked out fine.

Anyway, the road was mainly graded dirt. I drove across the country from NJ into Canada and started at milepost 0 in Dawson Creek. I made it into the Yukon territory, then the flat-four, 1700cc engine swallowed a valve. The engine was air-cooled and the DUST on the highway was something I had never experienced before, and never since. After it died going up a loooong hill, I coasted about 3 miles back down the hill into a valley with a motel. The next day, I caught a ride south, spent the night in some town, got a new cylinder head and other parts, caught another ride north, changed them out, and got back on the road. The next day the engine had another major breakdown late at night. In the morning, I hitch-hiked to Whitehorse in the Yukon Territory (caught a ride in an RV), hired a tow truck operator, drove 60+ miles back to the VW, had it towed to Whitehorse, arranged for a used engine to be installed, and flew home to NJ. The mechanic changed the engine, had it shipped by rail to Quebec (shipping through customs would take extra months), and I flew up to Quebec to drive it home.

Wow, I haven't told that story in years!

One take-away from that story is that the road was dusty! When an 18-wheeler would be coming toward you, the only thing you would see at first was a huge (and I mean huge) cloud of dust. You better get on your side of the road. This cloud would be coming at you at 50+ MPH. Finally, you could see a pair of headlights shining through the cloud, and a few seconds later you would see the rig as it passed next to you. It was a bit scary at first.

But, it was an experience that I enjoyed. Forget the part about the destroyed engine. The beauty of the mountains, the isolation from civilization, the view of the setting sun across a large lake as seen from a bridge (at 11 PM)... It was incredible.

I do a lot of driving for my job as my clients are all over the state of Florida. And, a lot of driving to see family in NC. And, did a lot of driving further up to NJ and more. Actually, my first trip was when I was about 19 driving, by myself, from NJ to CA in a 1969 VW bug, sleeping in the bug along the way to save time and money. 3000 miles in 3.5 days! But, I keep wanting to get back out west, this time with Bev, and enjoy the country at a slower pace. We did have the opportunity to visit Vegas a few times (by air), and did rent an SUV for a few days to visit the Grand Canyon, and absolutely loved it. I wanna do it again!

Steve, you got me thinking about driving west again. I hope you get to go and have a great time.

Rail, It will be soon!

Lynne, Hope the snow gets out of the way sooner rather than later.

Terry, Looking forward to seeing photos of the Tot'r and the TH together.

OK. It's now almost 3 AM and I need to get some sleep before another good, long day at work.

Everyone, have a great day!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:32 AM   #4194

Goooodmorning all y’all!!!

My morning coffee’s delicious and the sun’s rising on yet another beautiful Arizona day! Every Tuesday I go on a “conditioning hike” with the Sierra Vista Hiking Club. It’s a R/T of 4.4 miles with a 1’000 elevation gain/loss. Hiking up can be tiring but boy can you feel it coming down too.

I’m getting really excited about taking an Alaska trip. Charles, the modern Alaska Highway is now paved; however it still gets torn up pretty bad over the winter from frost heave. Rail, taking my RV would be nice, once I replace the fuel pump I’m certain the housedawg would be up for the trip but at 6-7mpg forgetaboutit! Besides, camping in my Caravan always puts me in a mentally good place, lots of great memories camping with my kids. Ever since my wife died I’ve had to constantly work at staying mentally healthy and not wallow in depression.

Charles, I had a 67 VW Beatle that ate an exhaust valve at 76K. The problem you had with your VW eating a valve was a very common problem that VW knew about for decades but didn’t address until they built the Super Beatle. It was caused by an oil cooler located inside the fan shroud that blocked the air flow to the number 3 cylinder. Had you been aware of the problem beforehand, you could have easily fixed it by installing a remote oil cooler. The VW engineers felt that since the valve ingestion didn’t occur until after 50,000 miles that it was okay not to fix the problem. Pretty cheap and inconsiderate of VW, wouldn’t you say!

I’m glad to read that everyone’s doing well and excited about the up and coming summer months, roll on!

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:49 AM   #4195

Winnebago Owners Club
Good morning everyone. Boy my H2O sure does taste good this morning On a strict diet and hitting the gym 4 days a week so my daily habbit of Diet Coke doesn't work at this moment.....

We had a great weekend exploring the northern Puget Sound this past weekend. The highlight was going to Fort Casey. Pretty cool talking history with my son. Out of the forts in the Puget Sound area I would highly suggest Fort Casey and Fort Worden. Besides the Forts the rest was the wife's ideas so we will leave it at that

Steve - I owned 1967 Bettle as well. Sold it to my sister wish I never did. 67 is by far the best year out there for Beetle's. For those VW fans out there my license plate was 1YRONLY.

To All: If the right deal were to come around I might ponder the idea of getting a second RV. I wouldn't mind just keeping the 88 Itasca just for Tailgating. So Rail I will be sending you a PM with some questions. So keep your eye open for me I will be getting you more details.

For those that are retired enjoy your day you deserve it and those that are traveling be safe out there and for us unlucky ones that are still working well I guess the sooner the day is over the sooner we will be retired

Guess I should get back to work.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:02 AM   #4196

Winnebago Owners Club
Well I guess I won't be sending Rail a PM as he doesn't allow them guess I'm not part of the special club
Old 03-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #4197

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by octanefam View Post
Well I guess I won't be sending Rail a PM as he doesn't allow them guess I'm not part of the special club
Octanefam, I am sorry if I had my PM shut off, did not now? I added you to my friends list, and unchecked one box? So you should be able to send me a PM now? I am still not to sure how a lot of this site works?
Don't know about the special club, as I consider everyone on this site good people! Rail!
Old 03-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #4198

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Octanefam, I am sorry if I had my PM shut off, did not now? I added you to my friends list, and unchecked one box? So you should be able to send me a PM now? I am still not to sure how a lot of this site works?
Don't know about the special club, as I consider everyone on this site good people! Rail!

Thank you Rail!
Old 03-29-2016, 11:27 PM   #4199

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good Morning Everyone! Coffee is very good today!
octanefam, PM sent back! Your welcome!
Charles, sound's like that was quite the trip! Back in the 70's, a buddy and I loaded up my Chevy van and a enclosed U-Haul trailer with two old Harley's and all our stuff, and left Il. for Phoenix, Az. That was quite a trip, and that old "hot water 6" did a fine job! Got us out there, in a week or so, and we loved the trip!
I had many offers for work up in Alaska, but never did go, knew I would like it too much, I think, plus I like the hot much better than the cold!!
Steve, I understand completely! I was just wondering why your mileage is so low, my last MH was a HR Vacationer, a 1996, 36', W/454 MPI, and 4 sp od trans., and it got 9/10 MPG all the time! I also had a 91 Overland 36' bus with a 460 ford, carb, 3 speed trans. and it got 10 MPG also, and I do not baby them either! Drove the Overland to the east coast of S.C. and going up the mountains, kept it wound up, around 3000 rpm, with the 4 barrel opening up halfway up the hill, and still got 9/10 mpg! It did surprise me, that it did that good! I was not towing anything either, might make a difference! Maybe yours will do better when you get it broke in good? Hope so!
Frank,
Everyone have a great day! 17 days! Rail!
Old 03-30-2016, 06:35 AM   #4200

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
morning,
currently, 52
Furnace is doing it's job...
Highs in the 70ties today and tommorow
Coffee is going down well,
Not much going on, Have to start packing it in and start for the S&B
with a stop in Oklahoma to visit for a few days.
Never did make it too the Pool but I still have 2 days to try.
Found out yesterday that Gordon and Janet are heading the same way that we are so that will be fun.
Steve, I had a 68 bug with a Holly 2 barrel and headers that thing was a blast a great hill climber. There's a older Dune Buggy for sale here at the Park so tempting.

The park model next to us sold in just a few days. I'm not ready for that yet. I have decided that I will sell the 64 convert and look for a bigger class A. Sure like the Alfa's. Great lines there was 4-5 that we looked at down here "but" the previous owners didn't take to good of care of them, sad.
Welcome to the newbies on Vintage.
Those on the road be safe,

Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote