Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:21 PM   #4271

Hi all!

I am working the money thing with them..... Deb is younger than me (I married a young chick), so she can't retire for about 15 more months.... But if they sweet'in my deal some I will work a little longer to get her out of work sooner,,,,, and set us both free!! We shall see.

Our dream trip is Alaska, and the North West. We have been as far as Glacier. If we could get Debbie out early next year we could do Alaska next year. 2-3 months, maybe 4.

Monday I expect we will come up with a plan.

Frank, surprised the new workampers left so quickly. That cannot be too good for the resume? I know you and Rita love it there, sounds like a great deal that you stay the summer.

Gordon, we have a large carport our coach sits in, it will fit in my barn, very tightly but I only do that if I am working on it. The barn is my workshop,,,, and I seem to always have a project in there.

I am surprised you can start your garden so early?

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2016, 07:36 PM   #4272

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Lloyd;
This has been an abnormal year. We had warmer temperatures as well as less snow. As I look out at the back yard the garden is clear. I normally take the roto-tiller out and turn the garden over several times to get the warmth into the soil. IMO it makes the seeds germinate a little bit quicker!??? If it continues to go the way it is I may plant at the end of the month.

However due to past experience I am not really counting on it. We have had some of our worst blizzards in April and early May. I went camping one year on May 24 and it snowed 6". I was tenting at the time!!!! Fortunately I had ended up sleeping in my truck so no harm, no foul.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:29 PM   #4273

Hi Gordon!

Yea, they are calling for possibly 26 degrees here tonight. We have a very large Strawberry farm just a few miles from us, they have been busy all day covering the crops. About 25 miles from us is Gaffney S.C., they brag as the peach capital. They are doing all they can. but this will probably have a effect on them.

Gaffney is also where the Freightliner Custom chassis is made.

We used to do a garden, but never had time for it. Maybe once our w--k thing is done...

L.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:00 PM   #4274

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Evening Gang,
Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. Yes we love it here, the Managers were workampers here then they were activities directors for the last 2 years, so they are part of the family here. They are a big part of the reason that we volunteered to stay.
Have a good evening all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:25 PM   #4275

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Hi Gordon!

Yea, they are calling for possibly 26 degrees here tonight. We have a very large Strawberry farm just a few miles from us, they have been busy all day covering the crops. About 25 miles from us is Gaffney S.C., they brag as the peach capital. They are doing all they can. but this will probably have a effect on them.

Gaffney is also where the Freightliner Custom chassis is made.

We used to do a garden, but never had time for it. Maybe once our w--k thing is done...

L.
Hope to make it to Gaffney one day. Would like to do a corner weight ride height adjustment but it is not pressing as everything seems to be working well.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:08 AM   #4276

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good Morning Everyone! Coffee was very good today!
Lloyd, I hope the cold does not come down that far, and hurt the peach and strawberry crop's!
Frank, sounds like you stay at a very nice place, I checked the reviews, and all were good! Remember, Florida gets very hot and humid in the summer!
Popeye, what can I say? Got It!
Gordon, hope the 5'er sell quickly!
Lynne, you are right, we get into Tampa at 7:29 pm and by the time we get everything loaded up, and the 1 hour drive up to where Mona is, it will be dark, and we will be tired! So, I have waited this long, 1 more night won't hurt! (It might be a sleepless one though)
I am glad this cold weather is there now and not when we get there!
Everyone have a great day! 6 days! Rail!
Old 04-10-2016, 05:22 AM   #4277

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Morning,
currently , not sure but its colder than when we left OC
about 100 miles south of Des Moines.
Joe and I were kidding about turning around and heading back to Yuma...
We did about 10 hours with lots of doggie breaks yesterday.
We should be home by this afternoon, I am hoping.
Gordon is the 450 going with the 5th as a package?
I would consider a 5th if the right one came by...
Stayed in a rest stop last night and I am trying to get going now but am hitting a wall...
Does anyone know if there are dump stations in the rest stop's in Iowa? I thought I saw some when we were heading South?
That's about it from here,
Those on the road be safe,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:01 AM   #4278

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Tim I think the Iowa rest areas have dump stations. I don't know if the close them in the winter or not? Rail!
Old 04-10-2016, 06:53 AM   #4279

Morning!

31* this morning, not as cold as they predicted,,,,, but too cold!

Tim, they charge a few bucks, but Flying J truck stops have dumping stations at the RV fuel Island.

Rail, I have put in a order for you and Jira to have great weather for the meeting of Mona,,,,,, and Frank and Rita.

Have a great day all!

L.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:56 AM   #4280

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Coffee was good this morning, had chocolate chip pancakes to go with the coffee, MMMMMM.
Rail,
I know that it gets hot and humid, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do, lol. We just work in the early morning and then head for the A/C. The park is very nice, but its the people in the park that make it so great. The park is going through an expansion and upgrade, so it will be not as nice this summer, but knowing what will be on the other end make it OK.
Lloyd,
Thanks for the good weather wishes, it got chilly last night, down to the low 50's but going to the upper 70's today then back in the 80's the rest of the week.
Have a great day all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:53 AM   #4281
cwk

Good morning, all!

I posted yesterday (well, I thought I did), but it looks like the cyber gremlins ate the post. It's gone! Evidently what I had to say was deemed to be non-essential. Or, I missed a step with the anti-SPAM checker.

Anyway, getting some w--k done today to keep on schedule. The building planning has taken time away from production time, so I need to make it up somehow.

Well, time to get back at it.

Everyone, have a great day!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:12 AM   #4282

Goooodmorning all y’all!!!

So far it’s a nice partly cloudy day. It’s odd, in the land of sunshine you appreciate partly cloudy days more. I’m on my third cup of morning coffee. I’ve been using a 1970’s vintage Mr. Coffee for the past few weeks and am really impressed at the coffee it makes.

I reviewed my Caravan’s service log this morning and realized that I may have to replace my front brake pads before setting out on my Alaska trip. It was 30K miles ago that I replaced both front pads and rotors. With relatively fresh rotors, I don’t want the pads to give out on the 9K journey I have planned. I have to change the oil too so I guess now’s the time to visually inspect the front pads. The good news is that several years ago Auto Zone sold me pads with a lifetime warranty. Obviously, they didn’t know who they were dealing with, if I need pads this will be my third free set!

Does anyone know about potential health issues from the degassing of fumes from the OSB paneling I’ve used to build my sleeping platform? From what I understand, being exterior grade OSB it’s made with phenol formaldehyde as a structural adhesive. Phenol formaldehyde is purported to have far less degassing problems than urea formaldehyde which has gotten most of the bad press over the years. Nonetheless it’s a lot of surface area inside a small volume area. Still, I'm feeling a bit like Chicken Little.

It’s time to get on with my day. I hope all y’all are doing well and staying healthy.

Steve
Old 04-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #4283

Winnebago Owners Club
Morning Everyone;
Was really windy all day yesterday. Today the cool front is here (brought by the wind) and it is much cooler. Going to be typical spring weather for a few days, just no snow.

Tim - Everything is for sale. The truck could go with the trailer. I have a 15,000 lb dump trailer that is too big for the 150. Tough to explain but the truck is worth way more than the market value, at least to me. It has about 47000 miles on it.

Steve - I believe you should be OK but I would be having lots of ventilation when in it. It is easy enough to leave windows open (with screens to keep the mosquitoes out) and a window open when driving. I do not believe there is enough material there to be seriously dangerous.

Frank - sorry you will not be making to to OK. Glad you are able to stay where you really like it.

Rail - I am getting excited for both of you. Not very many more sleeps.

Have a great day.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #4284

Forest River Owners Club
Tim:

Most rest areas in Iowa along I-35 have dump stations, and they should be open.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum