Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:02 AM   #4439

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
morning,
Currently 43
Feels like 39

I think we are going back to AZ,

Well the battery on the toad finally took a dump, not bad lasted almost 5 years. They say a 5 year battery only lasts 3 years here. So there wrong.
I replaced 2 on the MH last year,
both lawn tractors last summer,
battery on my watch last month (dead again)
2 battery's on the thermostat when we got home, man was the house cold.
The battery was dead on the 64 when we got home but it took a charge and hasn't failed me yet... Boy I sure missed driving her and think I would like to bring her with next winter.
Bought the fertilizer/Weed Killer for the yard yesterday.
Pear trees are in full bloom. Looks like we lost 1/2 of the Butterfly Magnolia Tree.
Apple tree is budding.
Strawberry's are all uncovered.

I think I found a new pressure washer, Wish I still had my old one.

Kind of got yelled at from my Doc for not keeping up on a medical issue, I now have a appointment with a wound clinic next week.

My little 4 legged baby just got up and she is sick. got her outside just in time. Poor baby....
Have a great day
and those on the road be safe,

Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2016, 09:38 AM   #4440

Goooodmorning all y’all!!!

It’s a beautiful cool sunny morning but the afternoons are getting too hot for this Nordic body of mine. It’ll be good to head up to the Great White North soon.

Tim, you are certainly hard on batteries! With the way batteries drop dead around you I hope you never need a pacemaker, that could be bad, very bad.

I bailed on my afternoon hike yesterday. At 3pm it was a sunny 85 degrees, too hot for this hiker! I think I’ll stick to morning hikes exclusively for the next week until I leave.

All my Alaska trip plans keep having positive outcomes. I called the Canadian National Parks people and a very pleasant lady helped me plan some activities on my way to Alaska. With her help I’ve changed my route to take in Banff and Jasper NP’s on my way to Dawson Creek. The trip just keeps getting better and better!

From the land of sunny days, starry starry nights and ZZ Top wannabe’s.

Steve

Old 04-22-2016, 09:39 AM   #4441

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning All;
Tim and Joe - Sorry to that Lilly is not feeling well. Hope it is just something she ate. Would be great to see the 64 in Yuma next season with the two of you in it. Sounds like you are having a good spring in your garden as well. I am trying to determine the optimal time to get out there and plant. I have added a ton of compost to the garden and tilled it twice so we are getting close to being able to plant as soon as a date is determined. When do you guys normally plant? Joe showed us some garden pictures and needless to say it was impressive. Is the doctor after you for green thumb?!! Hope whatever he was after you about is corrected quickly.

Cooled off here for a few days. Weather now says 60% chance of showers. Really need a 3 or 4 day soaker. I am ready! Pruning done, beds and garden turned. Bring it on!

Rail - the food looks really good. Glad things are working with Mona. Econo mode makes the transmission shift up earlier and hold longer. I found that econo is not good for us in the hills. It is great for small rollers but if we get into a hill we have to pull the momentum and rpm will drop down too far and we will end up slower. I think our is programmed to hold a gear until the shift will take it back to around max torque (1650 rpm). If I see that we are going to have a pull I will shift out of econo and manually shift to 5 to bring the rpm up around 2000. We carry the momentum a bit farther, it cools better but at 53000+ we will end up climbing with the trucks on the big hills. I had the coach back to Freightliner for a checkup and they reflashed the ECM. That made a big difference. Power and mileage increased! Mechanic said it was a good idea to have it redone every couple years. Based on my experience (limited) I think I will try that in a couple years. It may be they are constantly tweaking the program but who knows.

Charles and Beverly. IMO floor plan is the most critical issue. Janet and I went to a bunch of dealers and looked at coaches. We ditched the salesman and went in them all (old and new). Even the really disgusting ones (not very clean) got a look. We talked about what we liked and what we did not. Seats had to be high backed for comfort, all electric with residential fridge, aqua hot, washer and dryer, large counter top because we like to cook together, king size bed (more for length than width. Our 5er has a queen and it is wide enough but not quite long enough. If they came with a queen that was long enough we would be OK. We like to have a place beside the bed to sit our coffee every morning.), tile on the floors but in-floor heating not necessary, bath and half, dining table with chairs, tv across from seating, lots of seating for guests (8 for drinks, 4 for dinner, 2 to sleep although we carry a pump up mattress and there is floor space to inflate it).

I think if you visit a lot of coaches and keep a list you can come up with a must have, like to have and do not want list. The coach that comes closest is for you. Power train will be what comes with the unit. At 450 horse and 53000+ lbs we are happy with the performance. It could go faster but we are not in a hurry.

We finally opted for new. We looked for considerable time and did not find anything used with all of our must haves. We consider depreciation money we have spent to get what we want not lost. As a comparison we go to restaurants where we pay someone to cook, deliver and clean up a meal. Plus we add a tip. You can consider the up-charge and tip as depreciation. However we enjoy going out for a good dinner and pay the price. So the ability to specify things like color and some custom changes made buying new attractive if you consider depreciation as part of the cost of getting what you want. We also knew when we were getting the unit so uncertainty about the search was off.

There are lots of great used coaches out there. Some are found very quickly and others will take some time and patience. You have to be prepared to know what you want, what you are willing to pay for it and move the minute you find it. Getting the unit a year before retirement would not be an issue if you get the one for you. Time for a few practice runs, sort out any issues (all new and used will have issues by the way) and have it loaded for the first day of retirement.

Sorry to be so long winded but it is one of my favorite topics.

Anyway everyone have a grand day.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #4442
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think more coffee cups have been emptied here than at Starbucks. Good morning all.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #4443

Winnebago Owners Club
Morning Bruce and Nancy.
Yup lots of coffee drank here. And occasionally spit out because of a good joke (have to be careful to swallow before reading).
Old 04-22-2016, 02:50 PM   #4444

Gordon
I hope I'm not responsible for ruining any computers from coffee spit on the keyboards Maybe I should add a disclaimer to my tag line , something like WARNING swallow before reading my posts !

I'm not trying to be funny , everything is written in all seriousness.......I just see things different !
It's true I tell ya !
Old 04-22-2016, 03:06 PM   #4445
cwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpopeye View Post
Maybe I should add a disclaimer to my tag line , something like WARNING swallow before reading my posts !

I'm not trying to be funny , everything is written in all seriousness.......I just see things different !
It's true I tell ya !
No need for the disclaimer. I've learned to check the author's name before reading.

Besides, adding it in the tag line would be too late!

Just kidding, I tell ya! Just kidding!!!

OK, my 3 minute afternoon soda break is over. I'm going back to work...
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #4446

You only give yourself a 3 minute break ???
Sheeeeesh , what a slave driver !
Old 04-22-2016, 07:06 PM   #4447

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Evening All,

Boy was it foggy this morning going into work! Still in the 50's so I don't mind so much and when at work I don't look outside often so doesn't really matter if it is foggy or raining.

We ate asparagus out of the garden tonight. First batch for this summer. Yummy! My rhubarb is up about 10 inches or so, so probably going to be able to make a pie soon. Frank, you interested? I love rhubarb pie and ice cream!

Popeye, I like your jokes and have never spit coffee out on my keyboard so please keep it up. How is your Mom doing? You still with her up in the cold North? Hope all is well with her.

Steve, Alaska is on my DH's wish list so at some point in time we will probably head that way so interested in what you see when you take your trip. I hear it is beautiful and the pictures I have seen are beautiful! Have a great trip.

When I was going through the manuals the other day for the MH I found a key. It was labeled as dead bolt but had not been cut yet. Jerry took it to a local store and they cut it and now we have 2 dead bolt keys. I had planned to contact Winnebago and get one so glad that this was there and we found it. They didn't charge him either since we had the key.

That's where I found the paperwork for the original owner. Elroy was bought at CW in California. Apparently they had to replace the front windshield the first year. Was around $600 in 2006 and now they want $1,500. Go figure.

Dolly arrives Monday. Then we just have to figure out where we want to camp and away we go.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:27 PM   #4448

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Gee, 3 whole minutes, I don't even get that, only about 1 1/2 minutes for me, to drink a quick glass of ice water.
Charles, when i replaced the TV in the living room, a 32" flat screen fit where the 27" full size one was, then i just screwed the base down and it has traveled there good. When I replace the 20" in the bedroom, I will probably get a swivel base and attch it to the closet wall, so I can fold it out of the way when traveling. If you size the TV to the opening, there is little trim work. The work comes if you make the TV bigger than the opening. The king bed over the queen is personal preference, and I wouldn't any more about that. I agree with you about trying to buy used vs new, if you can find what you want. I agree with
Gordon about looking at all so you have a better idea what you wnt and don't want. I will wave again tomorrow too, lol.
Bruce,
Welcome to the thread, we like newcomers chiming in. I see that you are a retired moderator, we have a lot of respect for you guys, a thankless job for sure and you all do a wonderful job.
Popeye,
All I can say is that you sure are one of a kind, and we all love you for it.
Tim,
Keep up with the medical stuff, we want you around for a long time.Sorry about your 4 legged kid, hope that it is nothing serious and that she recovers quickly.
Lynne,
I am always interested in your delicious rhubarb pie, unfortunatly we are about 1300 miles apart, not going back to Ohio till sometime in August.
Have a great evening all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:21 PM   #4449

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good evening everyone!
We only made it up into NC today, after a long day of walking on the boardwalk & the beach! The little CG that we picked out was packed, and the only two sites available was a no go for Mona! So we came back up the road to a KOA. No one in the office, closed at 5 pm? So no Wi-Fi code for us. But we got a site, and settled in! Here are a few pics from the day. If I hang around here too long I will not fit in my clothes! Jira cousin sure can cook! And yes, she is married, Popeye!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1461374283657.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	124939   Click image for larger version

Name:	1461374326565.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	124940  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1461374379084.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	124941   Click image for larger version

Name:	1461374433078.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	124942  

Old 04-22-2016, 08:37 PM   #4450

Nice pics Stan, Looks like you are having a good time, and Jira is all smiles.
Frank
Old 04-22-2016, 09:02 PM   #4451

Winnebago Owners Club
Evening;
Well the trip to the lab was beneficial. Found they thought there was something wrong with the sample and were going to call me back. Dr caught it first and although I had to give another sample I think everything will be normal.

Rail and Jira - Glad you are encountering great weather. Does Jira's cousin want to adopt me? I am house trained and do not need an allowance. I will make my own bed.

Popeye - It takes a lot to make me spit coffee. But I think you have come close a couple times. I think it is because you have a great outlook on life and the ability to paint the picture in words that makes us see the humor in a situation. That is a special skill. I also think you are the fellow they were talking about when they said "When life gives you lemons . . . . ." We are looking forward to meeting you at some point in the future and sitting around the table for a meal and around the campfire for conversation.

Charles - I agree with Frank about the tv's. The new tv's are a different ratio than the old CRT. Because the new ones are wider a larger screen size will replace the old one. Also a lot lighter. I did not trust the base alone when I replaced our 27" CRT with a 32" LED so I installed a strap to hold it in place when traveling. Just did not want to come in to find the thing laying on the floor. Just me.

Lynne - made chicken stew tonight and was going to add some asparagus to it but the pot was too full. Tomorrow night we feast. Our rhubarb is about the same height as yours. Janet has already made the pastry and it is sitting in the fridge waiting for the proper time.

We had a shower today. Just enough to wet the pavement. Supposed to shower overnight but there are no clouds at the moment.

Hope everyone has a great evening.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:18 AM   #4452

Good Morning Gang,
Coffee is good this morning. The rain has come and gone, supposed to be a beautiful day.By the end of next week, the park will be all but empty(under a dozen rigs left).
Gordon,
I didn't have to put a strap on the TV because it sits back into the cabinet, almost impossible for it to come out as you have to tilt it and put it in sideways to get past the trim.
Frank