Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #4607

Goooodmorning all y’all!!!

That Fort McMurray fire was sure making the news while I was on my way to Dawson Creek. Last I heard it was nearly all property damage with no lives lost. But that was over a day ago hopefully things have gotten better.

I’m still on my way on the Alaska Highway. On the way up through Canada I visited Banff and Jasper Canadian National Parks. I’m so glad I did they are incredibly beautiful! The Alaska Hwy has been fairly uneventful with almost no traffic. Thankfully I’ve learned that our Canadian neighbors have not forgotten how to pass you (unlike the tailgating hemorrhoids that infest our US highways!) and they actually use turn signals. Overall I’ve really learned to like Canadian drivers!

Though I’m still on my Alaska Hwy journey, late yesterday I took the Klondike Hwy out of Whitehorse down to Skagway AK where I’m at now. Skagway I learned is not boondocker friendly, but a kindly bar tender at the Skagway Brewing Company pointed me to a free campground in nearby Dyea. A nice place but I was immediately swarmed by huge mosquitos this morning while I was making my coffee. First mosquitos of the trip… Welcome to Alaska!!!

I’ll post more in a few days.

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #4608

Winnebago Owners Club
Steve;
I hope mosquitos are the worst of your trip! I have heard there are also black flies in Alaska.

I am somewhat allergic to the fly bites so swell terribly. A Dr friend of mine recommended that I take lots of B complex vitamins. I did and it seemed to help keep the flies away. Also seemed like it reduced the amount of mosquitos that attacked.

Cooler and cloudy here today. I see there are a few drops of rain on the deck. I would estimate a 6" rain (the drops are 6" apart). This helps but we still need a soaker. They say it may rain in Ft McMurray by Wednesday. Could be snow according to the forecast.

I notice the first of our iris's are blooming. Bit of a wind and the ground under the ornamental crab apple looks like it has snowed.

Family coming over for Mother's Day. Going to do some grilling but will be eating inside.

Everyone have a wonderful Mother's Day.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #4609

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi All! Happy Mothers Day to all the Moms on here! Enjoying ourselves relaxing and hanging out with my mom ,sister and family in Johnson City , NY . My Mom just turned 97 April 16th and is physically in good shape but alas not so much in her mind. Taking her back to the nursing home last night , I sat in the back seat as my brother-in -law drove, reaching over her seat and holding her hand as she rubbed my hand on her face. I regret not having a better relationship with her years earlier! May God bless her and all mothers out there, Bobby
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:36 AM   #4610

Good morning!

66* here, partly cloudy.

The dumping station is done, ready for use.

Grandson was doing donuts some place this past weekend,,, and caught a tree with the back of his old Ford pickup, spent a good part of yesterday helping get it so we could get a taillight back in it, and open and close the tail gate. He hit it hard. Had to use the backhoe bucket to pull the bed side to open the tail gate! His father was not a happy man. Grandson worked his tail off and I think is just realizing how hard it is to get this stuff back. Told him once I retire he and I could complete the job and get it back to look in good. They left here with it functioning.

Steve, sounds like you are covering some miles! Yes, Banff is very nice. I was there many years ago. Safe travels!

I ordered a book, and 2 videos last night on Rv'ing to Alaska. One video is on the inside passage, the other is the Alaska highway, and Alaska it self.

About 12 years ago, Debbie and I started saving all our pocket change. The plan was for a retirement RV trip to Alaska. We have quite the pile. It of course will not pay for the trip, but should put a dent in the fuel bill! We are planning to leave next May, I can spend the next 12 months rolling coins!!! LOL

MK, I bought this decal and installed it on Debbie's windshield when she wasn't aware. She loves it. Very cute when driving and lookin out.

Jeep Wrangler 3in1 Little Jeep Grill Corner Decal Wrangler JK JKU Windshield | eBay

L.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:46 AM   #4611
bap

goodmorning everyone...

and a late happy mothersday to all,,,,

BOBBY,,, tell your mom happy mothers day from all of us on here...even if its late..

STEVE have you ever tried the thermocell for those blood suckers,,,,--i tried one this turkey season and it worked great !!!!

well got DEBBIE a new convection oven for mothers day,,the L.G with that awsome blue interior ...lol

and we sold the 68 tailor craft to a nice lady in tennessee (a gift from her kids for mothers day)
then yesterday bought DEBBIE a 1950s metzendorf 10 foot tt,,,it needs some work of course but over all in great shape---love it !!!

have a safe day my friends---GOD BLESS YA..!!
jeff
Old 05-09-2016, 06:03 AM   #4612

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Belated Mother's day to all. Getting ready to leave Branson here in a little while, storms will be here around noon, hopefully I can be far enough east that I will miss them, heading to Paducah, Ky for an overnight stay, then to my Dad's in Manchester , Tn for a few days.
Lloyd,
I will call you in a couple weeks about your trip to Alaska, I have a whole big box of info from friends that pent last summer up there.
Have a great day all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:41 AM   #4613

Winnebago Owners Club
Morning All;
Not much to report from here. Fire is still burning in Ft McMurray but the forest fire is past so they are mainly fighting fire within the town. They are starting to plan the next steps to get things back on line.

Got woke up last night about 3 am. Rain on the roof. Actually turned out to be a shower. Could not go back to sleep waiting for it to become steady but did not happen. Got up this morning and everything was dry.

Back to watering.

Everyone have a great day.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:17 AM   #4614
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Good morning to all!

Belated Happy Mother's Day to all of the Moms!

We spent the weekend (Fri-Sun) driving about 950 miles round-trip to visit family for the holiday. Uneventful ride on the Interstates (that's a very good thing). Sunday evening southbound traffic was quite low for I-95 in SC and GA. Three generations were present with the 8 of us: Bev and I, our son, daughter-in-law, her parents, and our grand-daughter. Family time was excellent. It was also fun watching the little one walk all over the place. She learned to walk on her own since we last saw her. She still looks a bit wobbly, but she gets where she wants to go.

Prayers for the fire victims and workers. I spent a number of years in the volunteer and paid fire service, but never had to deal with anything on that level. My hat is off to them.

I had a chance to read through the forums last night. So many things going on. Most of it sounds very good, or, at least, things are under control. Alternators, batteries, etc. Fortunately no major problems or incidents.

Hope everyone has a safe and great day. Be careful out there.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:40 PM   #4615

Hey Frank!

That sounds great, it will be fun to talk again.

Gordon, wish you could get some rain. It feels like it has been wetter than usual this spring here, but I could be wrong. Last week we got a lot of rain. We had the drought last summer.

I am heading out on my annual guys motorcycle ride Wednesday morning. We often joke, wherever we go it rains. We should ride past Gordon's place! Last year we rode 50% of the 4 days ride in the rain. Ugh! This started about 8 years ago, my son, my son in-law, my brother and a friend. Last 3 years it has just been my son and son in-law and I. We have a good time, targeting West Virginia this year.

We will be back Sunday.

L.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #4616

Winnebago Owners Club
Where ever you ride - ride safe.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:11 PM   #4617
bap

Lloyd ,,watch those west virginia roads this year,,,this past winter took a toll on them,,alot of big pot holes and missing road...

what part are you going to be rideing,,,,anywhere near the huntington area...?
Old 05-09-2016, 07:56 PM   #4618

Greetings from Fairbanks!!!

I finally arrived in Alaska about 10am this morning, but more importantly (for my bucket list) I arrived in Delta Junction AK around noon. Delta Junction is the official terminus of the Alaska Highway. Overall from a problem standpoint the ride was uneventful. The only problem that cropped up was a flat tire that was pointed out to me by the Alask border guard outside of Skagway late Saturday. I wasn’t able to find a repair shop open on Sunday so I purchased a tire plugging kit and fixed it myself, easy peasy life is good!

Tomorrow I’m going to explore Fairbanks for a while and then work my way down to Anchorage to visit my friend Mike. After Anchorage I’ll go to Homer and Valdez on the Kenai Peninsula.

Anyhow it’s been quite a journey through some beautiful country these past nine days and I’m glad to be here!

Steve

Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:04 PM   #4619

Congrats Steve! You made it!

Great job on the tire plug!

Please post some pics!!

L.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:39 PM   #4620

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Lloyd, also be very careful riding thru Virginia, some of the worst roads we saw our entire journey! Terrible!! Rail!