Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2016, 06:36 AM   #4677

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Rain here this morning, only going to the high 60's.
Bobby,
I agree with you, a lot of these contractors don't take any pride in what they do. Lynne started a Meet and Greet thread on here, you can check out the dstes and location there. Hope that you and Sally can make it.
Lynne,
I agree with you on this not being the last Meet and Greet, and something near Bap is a good idea.
Rail,
Glad that you and Jira had a good time and are safe and sound at home now.
Have a great day all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #4678

Hi all y’all!!!

On my morning hike I not only saw a moose but I had my camera!

I’ve spent most of the day driving to Homer AK, now that I’ve arrived I’m really tired but plan to drive around town so that I know where to go tomorrow.

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:09 AM   #4679

Freightliner Owners Club
Nice Steve, have a wonderful day.
Frank
Old 05-18-2016, 05:25 AM   #4680

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning All,

Steve, I'm glad you took your camera on your trip, I have enjoyed your pictures. Hope you continue to have a good time.

Frank, looks like you were up early this AM. I usually am too, too many years of 4:30 AM wake up to brake just yet but hope to sleep in to at least 6 AM after I retire.

Meet and Greet list coming together. Terry suggested the Kaw site for the longer rigs so will inquire about that. Won't hurt to have extra room anyway so we can spread out.

Weather report looks like we are going to finally warm up and hopefully stay there. We had a good winter for MI, but this Spring has been disappointing. I just want the warm weather is all. Terry, you should probably be getting the same thing as well as Popeye. I think we have all had enough. Stops us from doing what we WANT to do.

Going to work in the flower beds today. Taking some of them out since I don't want to take care of them anymore. Perennials are a lot of work. Have a new hobby and need to spend my time there.

Hope you all have a wonderful day. HI to all. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:58 AM   #4681

Good morning!

63* here, overcast and we expect rain, today, tomorrow and Friday. Maybe even Saturday.

43 days before retirement! They of course are not all work days, I have 10 days off around the memorial day weekend, have 2 grand children graduating high school, lots of family coming from out of town.

Great pics Steve. Hang onto that camera! When you have time, can you please share more about the road conditions on the way up? I'm hearing due to increased popularity the road is much better than the old days, if driven with care and at slow speeds the construction is a non-event? True?

Rail, that was a short visit. It would be tough for me to leave Mona alone and not be here to play more.

We plan to get out with our coach next weekend (Memorial Day) going to a festival in Seneca, S.C. called "Seneca Fest". They have a BBQ contest, (peoples choice) and a concert in the evening. Past years they had 2-3 bands, the big act this year is the Temptations. Invited another couple to go with us, they have never been to the mountains so one day gonna make a run up there and show them around.

I sent Lynne Deb and my info for the meet and greet. We would like to attend.

Have a great day all!!

L.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:28 AM   #4682
bap

goodmorning my friends,,
another rainy day here ,,rained every day in may so far,,ugg,, but temps are rising back up into the upper 60s....

STEVE,, another great pic.,,thank you so much for taking us all along on your trip..like everyone else i look forward to seeing them..

well gotta get ready for my DR. appointment,,got me going 3 days a week to chiropracter,,have lost alot of the strength in my right arm since febuary for some reason....ugg getting old stinks....lol

have a blessed day,,everyone !!!
....jeff
Old 05-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #4683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Good morning!

Great pics Steve. Hang onto that camera! When you have time, can you please share more about the road conditions on the way up? I'm hearing due to increased popularity the road is much better than the old days, if driven with care and at slow speeds the construction is a non-event? True?

L.
Hi Lloyd,

It's about 5:30am, I had a great nights sleep on the Homer Spit so even though it's early I'm feeling great.

Now, about todays Alaska Highway. It's something like 1300 miles from Dawson Creek to Delta Junction (the historical end of the highway) so the highways been "straightened" enough to lose 400 miles from the original. Except for occasional clearly marked areas of frost heave, which were non-events to drive over, the highway was great. The speed limit through Canada was 90-100kph and I only wish American drivers were as courteous and skillful as Canadian drivers. Very few PITA tailgaters and they all use their signals! BTW there was very little traffic because I jumped the gun on tourist season by 2 weeks too a month so driving up later might find a lot more traffic. There were numerous rest areas to sleep in, many with bathroom facilities (outhouses but very clean). Towards the end, in the Yukon, there were signs posted in rest area saying No Camping or Overnight Parking but according to the locals its only enforced if someone appears to be abusing the rest area use.

Steve

BTW if you look off to the side you can often see vestiges of the original highway.
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:33 AM   #4684

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning;
Well we had the promise of some moisture yesterday. Just a light shower though.

Garden planting was accomplished yesterday. Day later than planned but the wind was blowing so hard the day before I was unable to till the garden until late in the day.

Supposed to rain this afternoon as well as into the weekend. Have camping plans this weekend and the rain will still be welcome. Today is prepare the coach for the weekend.

Ft McMurray has had a couple setbacks within the city with new house fires. A 600 room camp burned down yesterday but still no loss of life, a real blessing.

Steve - did you stop at the Sign Forest in Watson Lake? I found it very interesting and spent several hours seeing how far I was from a lot of places.

Have a great day.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #4685

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good morning all!

Good morning all.
218 days to retirement and can not wait.

Lee
08 Discovery 40X
Rooster54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:50 AM   #4686

Hi Steve!

Thanks for the data. It supports what I have read. Can't wait to do this ourselves,,,,,, May 2017.

Gordon, I sure hope you get some rain soon.

Rooster, 218 days will go quickly! I am down to 43.

L.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #4687
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Good morning, all!

Steve, Thanks for the update and photo. Enjoy and stay safe.

Gordon, I think your rain took a detour. NE Florida got a lot of in the evening and overnight. Our forecast looks like sunny mornings and rainy PM's for a few more days.

Jeff, Hope the arm is just a temporary thing. Good luck.

Rail, Glad you had a great time with Jira and Mona and are safe back at home. Also great that Mona is a keeper!

Bobby, Glad things are coming along on the house. Spackle is on the bottom of "what I like to do" list.

Lynne, I would love to send some of our "warm" weather up your way. But, I don't have that power. 80's predicted for the next 10 days or so. Then, it will get to be summer time for a few months. Actually, July and August are the two harshest months to endure. Snowbirds are essentially extinct around here that time of year. Yup. I know the planned meet and greet is to be the first of hopefully many. It may take us a while to have the time to join everyone in person. Both of us still have full-time jobs for a few more years. We have a plan, but it is still a bit flexible.

Lee, Welcome to the group.

Popeye, Trust things are going well. I guess you have been busy and offline again. Hope Mom is doing well.

Everyone, Have a great day!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:48 PM   #4688

Freightliner Owners Club
Lynne,
Yes it is early, and I am on CST, even though the computer shows daylight savings time, I never reset it, so it was a few minutes after 6 this morning, we have been waking up between 5 and 5:30 every morning, so around 6 to 6:30 home time. Will be bck in the correct time zone tomorrow, we are leaving for florida tomorrow morning.
Lloyd,
Have a great time next weekend.
Steve,
Thanks for the info. Hope that you continue to have a great time.
Bap,
Hope that your arm gets better quickly.
Charles,
From what you told us, your plan is sound. Hope that it works out for you, we hope to see you again before too long.
Lee,
Welcome to the gang, just pop in when you have a comment. We welcome new members to the thread.
Have a great day all,
Frank
Old 05-18-2016, 02:02 PM   #4689

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Afternoon Gang,

CWK, I was in Florida once in July and Texas in August, I couldn't stand the heat. I don't know if I could adjust to it or not, but will see in the future. Right now the plan is to go South in winter and North in summer.

Lee, Welcome to the "Good Morning Club". Just a group of friends who met here, have gotten to know each other, and like conversing and meeting up. Hope you enjoy us enough to join. It's over 400 days until I retire. DARN IT!

Gordon, I'm a doing you a rain dance! Rain, Rain, Rain all over Gordon! Yah!

I need your amp requirements for the reservations. Please send to me on "Meet & Greet". Posted some info there for all. Lee, might want to check out that thread.

Talk with ya all later, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #4690
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
... we are leaving for florida tomorrow morning.
Frank,

I am sure you know to check the weather and weather radar before/during travel. Our mini-van got pushed around a bit yesterday evening as a storm front rolled through. We had some heavy rain/thunderstorms on and off through the night. Some of these storms just seem to "pop-up" out of nowhere here.

I have never towed my 35' TT in bad weather. I avoid towing my tall 7x16 cargo trailer in high winds. Both of them are basically big sails that catch the wind. It be great if they were "adjustable" like a sailing ship; then they could be used to "propel the ship" and give me better fuel mileage.

I have no idea what special precautions need to be taken with 5th Wheels and Class A rigs. I will need to learn!

Have a safe trip back to FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
I was in Florida once in July and Texas in August, I couldn't stand the heat. I don't know if I could adjust to it or not, but will see in the future. Right now the plan is to go South in winter and North in summer.
One learns to avoid standing out in the sun and heat in the mid-afternoon. Trips for groceries and other errands are better made in the AM. Air-conditioning is a must for most folks. There are lots of little tips and tricks that we learned, often by trial and error. Just like "Don't leave the refrigerator door open!" one can also say "Don't stand in the exterior doorway with the door open!" Parking spots in the shade are premium spots even if it means walking farther.

While I do not miss shoveling snow, driving on ice, and some other northern niceties, we both enjoy visiting folks further north when the outside temps are 55-70F.

Yup: North in the summer; South in the winter. Sort of sounds like a "Snowbird"???
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote