Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #4845

Winnebago Owners Club
Jay - the damage does not look too bad. Fridges slip in very easily. The guy who replaced the one in our 5er did it in less than an hour by himself.

Hopefully little or no damage to the enclosure.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 07:41 PM   #4846
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Good evening, all!

We've been real busy with moving this past week and have not had a chance to say anything here. It's a double move: S&B and business.

Some good news: slab was poured today.
Some not so good news: supplier our contractor was using for the metal building decided to call it quits a few weeks ago with no notice.

Fortunately our contractor has an alternate supplier for the building. But! The construction date is not until the 20th of this month!

Our exit from S&B and shop (same property) must be completed by this coming Thursday. So, the house move is well underway. The shop move will be into temporary storage units for a few weeks. Fortunately this is our slow season for work, but the extra 3 weeks without the new workspace is not something I want. But, it is what it is and we will survive.

I apologize if I seem like I am hogging the thread for a little bit, but I have come to really appreciate and respect the opinions of our group here. The combined amount of experience is very valuable. Thank you. And, I need guidance since this is my first metal building from scratch.

QUESTION: I have mentioned this before, but I need to reread some old posts and will ask it again. I want to insulate the building (both summer heat and noise). Some here have strongly suggested that we install the insulation at the time of construction. This new metal building company the contractor is using is willing to do so. They are offering to install reflectix (one side silver, one side white) on the walls and ceiling. The material will be applied to the outside of the metal framing, then the metal siding will be applied. They are claiming R-11. The material is about 1/4" thick. I have read that this works well, but am not sure about the high R-value. Anyway, it should work well against the Florida heat.

I am not so sure what it will do for sound-proofing. I do not want to hear much, if any, of the machinery noise outside of the building.

The framing is 2"x3" rectangular tubing, so I can add 3" of additional insulation later; possibly fiberglass??? I am not sure if I want faced-insulation, non-faced, or what. I do not want to create a double vapor barrier and trap moisture inside the walls. That would lead to mold with our high humidity. There was also some thought about rigid foam panels. There might be some concern about flammability? Not sure.

So, is the reflectix a good way to start? Then, add batts of fiberglass? Or, insulating foam boards? The vertical supports are 5' on center, so there will probably be a lot of cutting and splicing. I don't mind the extra work on my part to get a good result. Are there any other suggestions? Spray foam is a possibility, but probably not from a financial planning point of view. Remember, this is a 5-year building and plan. There may or may not be an option to go past 5 years. But, then again, the retirement plan interferes with anything past 5 years.

I learned of the construction date this afternoon. And, got to talk with the new metal building construction company this afternoon as well. He needs to know by Monday or Tuesday of next week if I want the reflectix so he can order it in time. That gives me the weekend to sort this all out. Well, I get to work and think about it while we move!

By the way, I have spent a little bit of time quickly scanning this thread.

Steve, absolutely stunning photos.
Lynne, sorry about the window issue, but it sounds like overall things are going well.
Popeye, keep your musical sense of humor. Love it!
Terry, great looking work on the Tot'r. Hope the infusion went well.
Frank, careful with the heat. We have had some really hot days lately. I've been trying to pack equipment and parts in one of our buildings that does not have AC. The afternoons have seen up to 90F inside. It has been draining. You and Rita: Be Careful!!
Tim, photo op with car and boat was great.
Rail, thanks for the photos. It is a nice peek into a different culture.
And, more and more. Thanks to all here. I love spending a bit of relaxation time reading about everything.

Everyone: Be careful and have a great weekend.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:31 AM   #4847

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Coffee is good again this morning.
Charles,
Rita and I have been fine with the heat, I do the weed eating first thing, then when the heat starts to ramp up, I use the zero turn, or the John Deere. Then we usually quit by around noon. IMHO I would go with the Reflectix. That may be all that you need, if you find out later that you need more then you can deciede which one fits your needs best.
Steve,
Sorry, I missed you in my last post, GREAT pics. Hope that you are enjoying your trip, it looks like the trip of a lifetime.
Have a great day all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:00 AM   #4848

Bourbon pecan coffee this morning and man is it tasty!!!

Still among the living on here and nothing from moderator yet so I guess they thought he was whining too....lol. lesson learned don't argue with people that have fixation on certain brands.

Hope all is well refinanced the jeep yesterday so the first payment is now due in july will have had it 2 months before the first payment is due...lol...

Hopefully we can take the 5er out in the next few weeks on a weekend trip just have to find a place that's not all booked up.

Be safe everyone and enjoy life

Mk
mkohler30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:17 AM   #4849

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning All;
Finished the first cup of coffee. Planning on mowing today. Two mowers so will/can go quickly.

Charles - I think the reflectix is a pretty good product. An option could be roxul. It would give you good insulation for both heat and sound. Also is fire resistant. It is slightly more expensive than pink but is stiffer so would be manageable from a cutting and fitting perspective. Vapor barrier? Probably should be placed on the outside. (No experience in insulating in the south.)

Everyone have a grand day and a great weekend.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:28 AM   #4850

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Morning,
Currently 68,
Coffee is good,
Great New's MK.
Yes defiantly get out and use her.
My little girl got me up @ 3 am to go out side she's so cute she climbed up my chest and started giving kisses. So I've been up since.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1465050298

We had the day off yesterday after starting weed whipping it started to rain so we climbed into the MH and watched some movies
Sunday is the All GM car show so I started to wax the 64 trying my normal brand but there new wax A Pure Synthetic Polymer. Did the trunk last night and its looking good...
My brother bought a Cub Cadet weed whip last year and I have a Troy Built electric start (my shoulder loves it), I switched ends because his line feeder is better than the Troy Built. I got my brother too let me use a weed/grass killer for under the trees that have rock really a pain weed whipping. We are about 1/2 done weed whipping. lot of the trees have a rock bed 15-20 feet across and are really weedy. I decided we are going to stay to get it all done, and we will go to the car show from here.
He has been trying to get going on the barn mess from last falls fire. Insurance company is really giving him a hard time. He's paid insurance for 30 years and now he needs it they are being jerks. I'd like to know where all the friends that said they would help out are. If you remember it (fire) was just after his motorcycle accident. So he's just starting to feel normal again. I wish I had the funds to hire it out. He's trying to recycle the metal and we are having bonfires using the burnt wood. I told him its going to take all summer to get her done.
Better get going on the 64,
Ya'll have a great day,
Rail and Steve thanks for the Pic's.
Those on the road be safe,
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2272_1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	545.4 KB
ID:	129095   Click image for larger version

Name:	0217141242-00.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	129096  

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:46 AM   #4851

Goooodmorning all y’all!!!

It seems like everyone’s doing well and things are generally rockin’ along for all y’all.

Yesterday back in Fairbanks was better than I hoped for. I visited places that were closed on May10th when I first got to Alaska. Fountain Antique Car Museum was absolutely fantastic! Who would’ve thought such a collection of historically significant and beautifully restored cars (they all run too!) would be displayed in a place as out of the way as Fairbanks. I saw the sternwheeler SS Nenana and the Pioneer Air Museum, the UA Museum and the UA Botanical Gardens. I decided to pass on a gold dredge tour since I can tour a gold dredge in Dawson City for free using my Canada Parks Pass.

Today I’m heading southeast to Valdez and expect to visit Copper Center and Chitina along the way, and perhaps the bush town of McCarthy as well. I expect to take several days to reach Valdez. Hopefully I can finally find a nice Delta Junction/Alcan Hwy refrigerator magnet at the Delta Junction visitor’s center (it was closed on the way up).

Gotta run I’m burning daylight! Wait a minute, whatthehell! Daylights all I’ve been getting up here, even at midnight!

Life is very good!

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:59 AM   #4852

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Good Morning Friends,

The coffee is perfect (as always) and it's a beautiful sunny day and 56 degrees. The birds are singing and so far my hip is giving me no grief.

Will hit the road soon to see some coaches. I will keep you posted about the progress. I have the towbar hooked up to the Jeep just in case. Risky business not getting Patty's input before I pull the trigger. Heaven help me if I blow this.

I have done so much research and learned so much from all of you over the last 2 years I am pretty confident I know what to be looking for. If they pass my inspection I will of course pony up for a professional inspection of the chassis which may require that I come back at a later date.

Time for some breakfast before I hit the road. Wish me luck.

Have a blessed day.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:45 PM   #4853

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Good luck and have a great trip.
Did you happen to see the add posted today a 1987 HR. If I had the cash it would be very tempting,
Safe travels
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:19 AM   #4854

Freightliner Owners Club
Good Morning Gang,
Coffee is good this morning, the birds are singing, the sand cranes are squawking(or whatever they do). The sun is shining. A beautiful morning.
Jay,
Safe travels and good luck on your quest. I bought our current 5er without Rita seeing it also, but luckily for me she loved it. It is a gamble, but sometimes you just have to do it. When you find the right one, it will jump out at you, so don't get discouraged.
Steve,
Happy sightseeing and hope that you continue to enjoy your trip of a lifetime.
Tim,
That is a beautiful old coach.
Have a great day all,
Frank
Old 06-05-2016, 05:54 AM   #4855

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning All,

Coffee is good this AM. Being able to sit and relax and drink it is the best though. Ah, retirement seems slow in coming.

MK, bourbon pecan coffee sounds yummy! Might have to try some of that.

Charles, If you do the reflectix and it doesn't seem to be enough, you can always add. Why not have them install it, and if you see you need more later then add it. You may only need to add to the side that gets the most sun. The other sides may be ok. Might save you some money to go this way. You aren't stealing the thread, this is where we all come to discuss things. It helps to get other opinions and like you said, when you respect people that is who you want to ask.

Frank, How many years have you and Rita gone to the park you are at now? I think you guys really like that place so it must be nice. Post a few pics please.

Jay, You will know the rig when you see it. It's just something that happens when you are looking. I thought I had found the right one but it just wasn't. Called off the deal and found the one we have now. I am so glad I did that.

Tim, that's one cute little girl. Furry kids sure are a lot of fun, even at 3 AM. Do you have a pic of the two of them together? Of course you do, so post it please.

Rained yesterday PM and is partially sunny right now. We can use the rain. Looks like a bit of it over the next week. Have a good day all.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:04 AM   #4856

Freightliner Owners Club
Lynne,
We are starting our 4th year here, (1st summer). Right now the park is in the process of expanding and everything is torn up with construction. They will be putting in sanitary sewer lines and cement pads, now there are septic tanks and wooden decks. also gravel roads. Blacktop is coming. It is the people that are in the park that make it great, they are like family. I will try to get some pics up later today.
Frank
Old 06-05-2016, 06:24 AM   #4857

Good morning!

68* here, overcast at the moment. Graduations went well, the kids were so excited. The party last night was fun, a lot of people we don't get to see very often. And the kids were enjoying all the attention. I'm a little slow getting going today.

There are lots of left overs, lunch is at my daughters today,,,, I think I know what is on the menu.... LOL

Steve, glad you are having so much fun in Alaska. Next year for us. Fairbanks is so famous,,,, wasn't till recently that I learned it is not a very big town. Many towns down here in the lower states bigger, that we all never heard of.

Jay, like others say, you know the right coach when you see it. Hopefully that one shows up soon, but don't get pressured rushed.

L.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:12 AM   #4858

Freightliner Owners Club
Lynne,
Here are your pictures on the main part of the park. I didn't show the construction out back.

Name:	DSCN0678.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	612.3 KB
ID:	129199
We are now on one of the Premium lake front sites.

Name:	DSCN0686.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	383.7 KB
ID:	129200
This is the view from the back of our site.

Name:	DSCN0680.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	744.8 KB
ID:	129201
This is one of the Terrace sites, By this fall, the wooden decks will be replaced by concrete. Also the pads will be concrete with asphalt roads

Name:	DSCN0681.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	595.7 KB
ID:	129202
A pic of the pool and spa area.

Frank