Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:48 PM   #4915

Winnebago Owners Club
Normally we have the fellows in Yuma wash and wax the trailer. $3.00 a foot so too cheap/economical to do it myself. Decided to work on the coach just because. It is sitting inside the shop so it is OK unless I go camping and it rains, or the wind blows, or there is a dew, or a car drives by throwing up dust.

Anyway decided to do it because I can. Took only one time on the 5er to cure me of that but will try the coach.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2016, 08:22 PM   #4916

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Evening Gang,

Back home but went to the RV museum and it was amazing! Some of those old rigs were very well thought out. Mankind can really create some beautiful things when they set their minds to it.

Last summer I had to de-oxidize our rig twice. The previous owner's might have never done it before. I then put four coats of Zep wax on it. ALL DONE BY HAND! It was a lot of work but boy does that rig shine! Well worth the work. Someone at a CG thought it was brand new because of the shine. The rig still shines beautifully this summer.

Mike, I also washed and waxed our roof. Two coats to the roof. The water beads right off. I went on top and started at the front and worked all the way to the back. It took approximately 8 to 10 days I would think but because I work still it took me several months due to weather and work to get it done. I will never have to de-oxidize it again.

Have a nice night all, it sure has cooled down around here. Lynne

beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:38 AM   #4917

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning gang,
Gordon, for $3/ft even I would consider having them do it, especially if I saw that they did a good job on others.
Lynne,
glad that you enjoyed the RV Museum, we did too when we went through it.
Have a great day all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:55 AM   #4918

Winnebago Owners Club
Having owned a variety of fiberglass sailboats for over 50 years I have never heard of the ZEP wax treatment. How does it work? Is it long lasting? Is it UV stable? Can it easily be stripped for re-waxing? Is it labor intensive to apply?
H-12Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:03 AM   #4919

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning All,

Coffee is yummy this AM and it got down to 44 last night. Is winter coming back?

Mike, This is the first time I have used Zep. I read a lot of threads here about it and decided to try it. I am a female and 63 yrs old, so 62 when I did this. I used a de-oxidizer because the rig was badly weathered. Had to do it twice as I said. The Zep I did 4 coats of on sides and 5 on front and end.

I used gloves and a dry wash cloth to apply. If you apply it heavily, it will run and not look very good so thin coats. I read all of this here. People said they had it for 4 years and just washed in the Spring, added another coat of wax and it looked great. I plan to add another coat of Zep this summer but may wait until the end of summer.

Not sure about the UV level if any since it is an inside product. Another person said they put a product called 303 on for the UV protection but I don't plan to do that other than our awnings.

I am very pleased with the way it looks. It beads water very well and when they make wax for floors they put a non-slip factor in it to keep people from slipping and falling due to lawsuits so I have no problem on the roof.

We stored it inside over winter (live in MI) so it was covered. You might want to look at some of the old threads about Zep waxing on this forum. It is where I got my information as well as most info I get that I need. Great source here.

Otherwise, enjoying a few days off again but things won't get done if I don't get to it. Supposed to be 90 by the weekend so from one extreme to another. MI, what can you say.

Have a great day my friends. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:17 AM   #4920
bap

goodmorning ,,
alive and well here,,another wonderful day in kentucky,temp is on the way to 75 with blue skies,,great to be outdoors working,,on well what ever my heart desires,,probably the yard and then the metzendorf..

have a great day my friends..
....jeff
Old 06-10-2016, 06:11 AM   #4921

Good morning!

64* here, can't find a cloud. Headed to 90's. I work today, 15 more work days to go. The counter seems to have slowed down. I guess it will get here.

Sounds like everyone is doing well, the forum has slowed down last couple days, everyone must be busy in the better weather. Hope you all in the North are also getting some?

Our next trip is on the 4th, we are headed to the Smokies with my daughter and family. No big plans, hangout, maybe explore some of the dirt roads with the Jeep.

I've been watching for a used towed vehicle brake system, Ebay, Craigslist but so far no luck. They must be in high demand, they sell very quickly when they go up for sale used. Not sure I need one (can't tell the Jeep is behind the coach) but it is the law in some places. I suppose it is important if we had a inadvertent disconnect.

Have a great day all!

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:44 AM   #4922
bap

gooodmorning my friends..

Lloyd,,enjoy the smokies,,there are some nice back roads there for jeepen around..its about time for us to head down there with the grandsons...we need to hit the smokey mtn knife works..

well yesterday was a great temp day now its a gonna get hot..,.--but i always say ..i waited all winter for the heat of summer...lol

have a blessed day everyone..
....jeff
Old 06-10-2016, 07:29 AM   #4923

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Coffee is good this morning, weather is hot and steamy as usual down here.
Lloyd,
Normal braking, you might not feel a difference, but in a panic stop, your braking distance will be increased enough to maybe cause an issue. It is always better to be safe than sorry. Have fun in the Smokies. Those 15 days will fly by before you know it.
Have a great day all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #4924
cwk

Good morning, all.

Another warm day in northern FL (high 80's). This past week has been mostly in the low 90's in the afternoons. And, it's not even July yet!

The weather has cooperated pretty well this week as we finished our S&B move yesterday. All of the shop equipment is now in temporary storage as the new building is still only a slab. Expected construction date is about another 1.5 weeks.

The pricing for the insulation installed by the metal building construction crew was way past the budget. I bought a small package of double-sided Reflectix at Lowes to test in the portable storage building the contractor is loaning us (due to them being way behind schedule). It seems to be quite impressive stuff regarding reflecting radiant heat. Well, that's what is is designed to do!

So, I am trying to teach myself how to DIY the insulation as a retrofit. It appears that I just need to leave an air gap between the metal siding/roofing and the Reflectix material. They do offer the material in double-sided (silver on both sides with a foam center). They also make it in one-sided (silver on one side, white on the other). The white on the interior may not reflect the interior heat as well (think: short winter months in N FL), but may be much more pleasing to work inside. I prefer white walls.

I also do not know if I will need to add more insulation as a sound barrier, so the inside color may not be an issue. So much more to learn...

Lynne, please remind me what de-oxidizer you used. Was that for a fiberglass surface? After I moved my TT to the new place, I noticed that the aluminum siding really needs a good cleaning.

LLoyd, enjoy the Smokies. We have been there before, but not with an RV. I would love to get back there again.

Frank, hope the rains didn't create too much trouble. For us, personally, the biggest part was the few hours I mentioned in a previous post. So, basically no problems for us at all. Others may not have fared as well, but for most it was a rain event. There was one short-lived tornado (400' wide and a few mile path) that caused some folks some grief. But, no loss of life that I heard.

Steve, hope your trip is going extremely well and you are enjoying everything.

Everyone, have a great day!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:49 AM   #4925

Winnebago Owners Club
Morning Everyone;
Camping for the first full day. So far it is cloudy. The clouds look threatening but the weather man says not to worry. Supposed to be clearing. Will see. Then rain tomorrow. Brought our rain gear so do your best.

Interesting small village. Mode of transportation for a couple fellows appears to be lawn mowers. One guy on a garden tractor and the other on a zero turn. Have gone by several times.

Now a fellow with a big John Deere drove by.

Off to enjoy the day. Best to you all for the same.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:21 AM   #4926

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Good Morning Gang!!!

Ahhh fantastic coffee and a beautiful sunny morning.

Back home today. An interesting trip. Saw some great coaches and some roaches. Being a Wheeler Dealer I never pay asking price and the ones I would buy were firm on their price. All of which were above or at high BB value.

One needed a complete set of tires and all new flooring and the guy wouldn't budge. He kept arguing that the tire had lots of tread, I kept saying the date codes were 12 years old. I would have been worried just taking it to the tire store much less driving it 1000 miles down the interstate. Makes you wonder how the rest of the maint has been.

Some of these guys think they should get top dollar when their coach is at or below average condition. You would think that after being n the market for several mo with no takers they would get a clue.

Trip was not a complete bust though as I found at least one we can use for Liberty Farms.

Will be heading to AZ soon, then FLA since there is a glut of units for sale in those states and the pricing is better even factoring in travel costs. Have already begun making a list of stops to make.

Glad to read everyone is doing well, problems being solved.

BAP I was looking through some ads the other day and some some really cool old trailers that had been refurbed and thought of you and the Mrs.

Patty has a list for me so I better get cracking.

Have a blessed day
1992 County Coach Magna #4926 Magna Carta "Maggie"
25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:23 AM   #4927

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Morning Everyone;
Camping for the first full day. So far it is cloudy. The clouds look threatening but the weather man says not to worry. Supposed to be clearing. Will see. Then rain tomorrow. Brought our rain gear so do your best.
And just in time for that fresh wax job
1992 County Coach Magna #4926 Magna Carta "Maggie"
25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:51 PM   #4928

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
And just in time for that fresh wax job
Sad to say the wax job had already been "pi**ed" on. Looked at it this morning and just enough road scum to take the shine off. But it will clean up easy. Only 4 - 6 hours of wiping it down. Wash it down with tap water and then rinse with RO water.