Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2016, 12:55 PM   #4999

Howdy all!

Busy today, this work thing is in my way! Popeye,,,14 days, 2 hours, 8 mins and 3 secs....... which assumes I don't leave early on the last day!!!!

Agreed on the campground..... and I love Moab!! I am in! Won't have a hard time selling that to Debbie either!!!

Lynne, hmmm, not sure what I would do with the window. Do you think he just had a idiot on his team perform bad work? Or is it indicative of the work they do?

L.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 01:49 PM   #5000

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Howdy all!

Busy today, this work thing is in my way! Popeye,,,14 days, 2 hours, 8 mins and 3 secs....... which assumes I don't leave early on the last day!!!!

Agreed on the campground..... and I love Moab!! I am in! Won't have a hard time selling that to Debbie either!!!

Lynne, hmmm, not sure what I would do with the window. Do you think he just had a idiot on his team perform bad work? Or is it indicative of the work they do?

L.
Hi Lloyd. As I recall Lynne said the fellow outsourced it (post 4984) and he was unhappy as well. Considering the repair I think they just cleaned and resealed the existing glass - or at least that was their intention. I will be kind and suggest they gave it to the 'new' guy who acted before he thought or consulted with a more experienced hand.

If the new window comes as a unit including frame because the old frame is wrecked it should be a simple swap that even I could do.

At least that is my interpretation of what was written and how the outsource could have screwed up.

I also agree with the Moab. Since I cannot work in the US the only way I can take part with the enterprise is to be the unofficial mascot and supervisor. I am more than willing to sit around, drinking iced tea and pointing my finger at various tasks to be done. I should get paid about what it is worth for that which would be very little. LOL
Old 06-16-2016, 04:09 PM   #5001

Gordon
You scored post 5000 !

Do they have rules against volunteering ?
Old 06-16-2016, 06:20 PM   #5002

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Evening Gang,

Windshield done in Elkhart at Duncan Systems. Nice job. They gave me the price on the new side window at $1,500 installed down in Elkhart.

A & D did the original side window job. They took the window out and outsourced it to (We are Crap for lack of a better name) who are the ones who cut the frame instead of unscrewing it to replace the fogged dbl pane. When they replaced the fogged dbl pane they installed a silver product between the dlb panes and the window is black. It looks like crap, therefore the name. They bent a few spots on the window and scratched the crap out of it to the point I was going to have to repaint it. In reality it is so messed up it needs to be replaced with a whole new window (windows and frames).

A & D reinstalled it with these problems and leaving an area where you could see outside. I do have some doubts about their ability to get this right. But, as pointed out, taking the window out and putting the new one in should not be that difficult. I can hope.

Here is the issue. The original REPAIR was $575, discounted from $637 due to the 30 days that they took to get the job done. By cutting the window frame, they have ruined the window. It cannot be salvaged. Is it working OK right now, yes, except that the sliding window now has a fogging going on inside it. So, it appears the other window was damaged while they were working on it and in order to fix this the frame must be taken out again. It will not be able to be put back in right so it needs to be replaced.

This is my choice, order the new window (which A & D has offered to do and pay for) have them take out the damaged side window and replace it with the new (comes all put together) window and be done with the problem.

As I told A & D, I do not do this type of work. I come to you to get the job done and done correctly. You told me you could do this and that is what I paid for. This was a crap job from the beginning and is not going to be right until the whole window and frame is replaced. It is just too damaged to ever be right.

I am concerned about them getting this right. I told him I would not leave the rig with him even two days, that the window needs to be there so they can take it out and replace it and I get it back the same day.

The factor that he admitted how bad the job was, that he offered to fix it to my satisfaction and pay for it, makes me willing to give him a chance. So, that is what I am going to tell him. If it is not right, I will drive back own to Elkhart and have them fix it and be done with A & D. If correct, I will not bash them in a review on RVServicereviews.com .

Repairs of this type are beyond me so I have to hire someone to do them. My expectations when I take the rig in is that it is done right. I don't think it is too much to expect. Other work I will do myself whenever I can. I think Gordon is right that they gave it to the new guy and he was clueless and no one took the time to show him how to do it properly.

I told A & D, when you send in a black window you should not have to tell the repair facility that it needs to be replaced with black parts and not silver, it should be a given.

Well, will go for now and be back later. You all have a good night. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:26 PM   #5003

Hi all!!

Gordon, Lynne, Sorry but I guess I got confused. I thought he outsourced getting the window fixed, but not the removal installation work?? And from what I thought I knew, it was repaired incorrectly (they cut the frame among other things) and then it was returned to the original guy,,,,, who accepted it and found it fine to install it using incorrect seal material despite the frame had been cut?

Anyway, sorry if I got all that wrong. But I'm not sure I would let them back at it.

Gordon, do you have any openings for an assistant in your division of the new campground? I need a job as soon I will be out of work,,, and I like the important role and focus of your division!

Debbie and I may go back to Moab in September. Take 2 weeks vacation and get away, Plus there was so many trails to explore with our Jeep. Also thinking we may visit Durango, Co.. We liked it there when we last visited.

L.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #5004

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpopeye View Post
Gordon
You scored post 5000 !

Do they have rules against volunteering ?
Not by design. But I will bask in the glory. I am going to try for post 10,000 now that I have achieved a milestone.

It is US rules so I think there is some rule that prevents us from doing any work a US citizen can be paid for. Since I will be providing valuable finger pointing a US citizen should be able to make a few dollars doing the same thing. Perhaps I could shadow said citizen and tell them where to point. (Lloyd - I read your post after I posted this. I believe that you could head up the section and I would be the able assistant. Between the two of us you can collect the pay and I will sit and try to look important!!)
Old 06-16-2016, 07:48 PM   #5005

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gordon,

Are you allowed consulting fees? Just a thought. They will never know!

Lloyd, Don't sweat it! It has been a bit of a nightmare for sure. Jerry and I really don't want him touching the rig again. Irregardless that the outsource person did the most damage, this guy installed it like that and not doing the best job of that.

I have an idea that I am going to throw at him. I will see what comes of it and let ya know.

We got some much needed rain today but not enough. Supposed to be a beautiful weekend.

Good Night All, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:08 PM   #5006

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Lynne - no consulting fees are not allowed but perhaps an honorarium. I would be thrilled to work with the group and would do it for nothing just to be around you all.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:59 PM   #5007

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Evening,
Rain Rain go away,
I buried the PA at the farm Tuesday, bobcat no help, dodge 3500 4x4 with duallys no help. Felt like a pig pen mud all over including inside MH, 4 legged kids muddy spent the night stuck. Its just a slight incline to get up the grass drive but so wet and so muddy. I was able to back up to get out of the holes that the rear end was in and I backed into the Corrals corner post a 6x6 and cracked open the rear cap bent the rear bumper right into the fiberglass
Yesterday we tried a old Chev 3500 4x4 that's been sitting in the Horse corral for years, the horses use it as a itch fixer. A little starting fluid and she fired off so here comes the test. Hooked the chain to the frontend of the MH, and after a few minutes getting the Chev into 4 wheel drive the mud started flying all over including the front of the MH. We are moving yea 100 feet later we stopped close to where we park her while out here, she pulled it the whole way, of course the 454 in the MH helped a bit. Today I tried to get the MH level and got stuck all over again. Give me a break, so much for the new tires. So we got the old chev out again and it did the trick. So now I am sitting on a asphalt driveway. The Motor home has a cracked open rear cap and a bent bumper and has a good few 100 lbs of mud caked all over. Because we couldn't get the MH level the fridge quite and we lost all the items in it y
Oyea I got told Tuesday morning I might be losing my right Big toe. I go for a MRI on Wednesday and that will tell if I need to see a surgeon. (Doc's words)
It's Back To The Fifties at our State Fair Grounds this weekend Fri-Sunday and I going in the 64, that is the cut off year
That's enough for me, I'm going to bed.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:02 AM   #5008

Morning!

73* here, partly cloudy.

This campground idea is coming together, the "Pointing" department is already formed, and our low cost operating model should provide real benefits to those in other departments that do not know where to look!!!!

Tim, my gosh you had a bad day!!! Sounds like the weather did you in. Gosh, hope you get to keep your toe! I used to drive by the fair grounds on Snelling every time I visited Roseville. Took that route to and from the airport.

I am off today, my last vacation day before retirement in 13 days. Deb and I met with our financial guy last night, we are in good shape for her to retire end of April next year,,,,,, and then Alaska we go! Now we just have to learn how to live on a little less.

Friend of ours has her own business, parking lot is pot hole rich, and gravel poor. Going to meet her this morning, see what it would take to grade it out and get a few loads of gravel in to improve the mess. Gravel here has gotten so expensive compared to 6 years ago when I started our new place. Two weeks ago I paid $426 for 20 tons. That does not go very far when you have 1,300 feet of driveway. She has a large lot, I expect she will need 3-4 loads. Anyway, me and my tractor have gotten this gravel thing down to a science. Practice, practice....

Have a great day all!

L.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:34 AM   #5009

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Tim,
Sorry about the PA, now you have a lot of extra work to do. You can learn how to repair the hole in the rear cap.cHope that you don't need to go see the surgeon and that you can keep your toe.
MK,
I have an RDS auxiliary tank/toolbox in my truck with their filler pipe kit. No extra fuel pump, the fuel flows into the filler pipe of the main tank and keeps it full till the auxiliary tank is empty. There is a check valve in the system to keep the filler neck from overfilling.
Lloyd,
Sounds like you will be busy for a long time without going to work.
Have a great day all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:18 AM   #5010

Tim so sorry to hear about your bad day hope all turns out ok with the toe prayers sent.

Frank thanks for the response does yours just gravity feed?..thought about doing that but hear it can spill fuel out...I don't really know...I know their are a couple of systems out there...transfer Flo and freedom fill....these have a controller and Guage in the truck for the auxiliary tank...but they run 500 and up just for the automated fill plus the tank....just not sure which route I want to take....would like a tank that fits under a bed cover....lol...I sure want alot...lol...

Coffee is great have a wonderful day everyone

Mk
mkohler30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:39 AM   #5011
bap

goodmorning my friends,,

wow TIM, sure hate to hear about your day,,,--prayers sent for you about your toe for sure..

the moab camp ground sounds great looks like the finger pointer jobs are well taken care of,,,,--i have been following debbies finger for years now and wouldnt even know where to begine if i had to point...lol

LYNNE,, sure hope the window rejob goes well,,

went for my MRI yesterday so next tuesday will know more about why i have lost controll of my right arm,,,krazy..

have a great fathers day weekend you guy,s..

...jeff
Old 06-17-2016, 07:02 AM   #5012
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Good morning, all!

Sounds like a couple of rough days for a few of our group. Hopefully things will turn out well.

Steve, Love the photos. They are very inspiring. We did have one question: what density foam are you using for a mattress. We have a minivan. It has the "Stow 'n Go" seats that fold down into the floor. For long day trips, we are considering having the foam as a place to stretch out, relax, and/or catnap. (We keep thinking about a day when the trips could be with a class A. ) Your thoughts will be helpful.

Happy Father's Day weekend to all! We are spending a few days with son, DIL, and GD.

Everyone, have a great day!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote