Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:06 AM   #5013

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning Everyone:
Wow - things are popping and not all in the right direction.

Tim - sorry the MH got damaged. Has to be really frustrating and disappointing. Put some tape on it and bring it down to Yuma. We can see if we can figure out how to repair it. Never done it before but if we look at the internet should be able to figure it out. Larry the fellow you will be camping beside was a painter when he was working.

Keeping good thoughts about the toe. Not a good thing to lose but if it helps you get around better?? Just saying. Bests for a good prognosis.

BAP - hope the results of the MRI show something simple that is easy to fix.

Lloyd - looks like we could both be vice presidents in the finger pointing department while Debbie is the President. We would be starting the department with a leader with a proven track record for great product and lots of on the job finger pointing experience (according to Jeff). I hope she likes iced tea. I see a need for a VP of Shade Development/Chair Placement. Perhaps that could be two positions? Need to have a meeting!

MK - we had an extra tank put in the 450. Had the tank built in Lake Havasu at KSH Marine. The tank has its own feed and pump so is separate from the main tank. Beauty of the system is the truck computer seems to figure it out so the fuel gauge works as well as the remaining miles. Don't know how it does it as it is way beyond my pay grade. They custom build tanks to pretty much any shape including integrated tool boxes. Really happy with their work.

Raining here this morning, well actually showers, so it is not pleasant outside. Now will do the final push to finishing the business taxes.

Have a wonderful day in spite of the set backs.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2016, 11:55 AM   #5014

Retired Fire Service RVer's
MK,
My tank/toolbox stays under the height of the bed rails, so you could put a cover over it. II have not had any problems with the gravity flow over filling the filler tube, the only thing is that you can't loosen the regular tank gas cap. If you do loosen the cap with fuel in the auxiliary tank, it will overflow then, but that is the only time. I agree with Gordon, that what he had is a lot better, but it is also expensive. The RDS filler kit is under $100, and the tank/toolbox is under $1000 from Northern Tool and Supply, with shipping. If you have a outlet close to you, you can get it at the store and avoid the shipping. I have a 60 gal tank with the 6" deep toolbox on top. I had to clean the vent check 1 time in the 6years that it has been in the truck, which is the only problem that I have had. Drilled 3 1/2" diameter holes in the bed to bolt it down with large washers underneath the bed. It took less than an hour to install the fill kit following the RDS directions. If you have any other questions, just holler, or if you need to call me.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:54 PM   #5015

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Steve, Love the photos. They are very inspiring. We did have one question: what density foam are you using for a mattress. We have a minivan. It has the "Stow 'n Go" seats that fold down into the floor. For long day trips, we are considering having the foam as a place to stretch out, relax, and/or catnap. (We keep thinking about a day when the trips could be with a class A. ) Your thoughts will be helpful.
Hi Charles,

I'm using the seat cushions from my Class A Holiday Ramblers dinette so I don't know that much about the foam. However, two years ago I tried using memory foam for camping in sub-freezing weather and learned that at freezing temperatures memory foam turns to brick! I actually cut my trip short because it was so awful to sleep on.

FWIW I've been very happy with the foam in my dinette seat cushions and will try to emulate it when I replace my RV's current mattress.

Steve
Old 06-17-2016, 01:15 PM   #5016

Thanks alot frank I am feeling more comfortable about it....never done anything like it before so just kinda unsure....we have a northern tool in conroe bout 1/2 hour from me and a TSC on the way home.....I am guessing that the rds fill kit would work on any tank as long as the fittings are the same....one other quick question that I have is....do you have to actually turn a valve on to make it feed or is it continuous all the time
Old 06-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #5017

Evening all!

Worked on the Jeep today. The Wrangler Rubicon we bought came with rocker guards. We wanted to add nurf bars (side bars) but all I could find did not work with the rocker guards.

So today I cut down the rocker guards, and changed the mounts on the nurf bars so that both are in place. Pretty happy with the results..

Also the rear fenders were getting blasted by the gravel on our gravel road, hopeful these will cut down some of that.

L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160617_145139_resized.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	130497   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160617_145155_resized.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	130498  

Name:	20160617_145206_resized.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	130499  
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:11 PM   #5018

Looks great!!!....you d ok good work very professional...I made a hoist to take the hard top off and this evening we used it for the first time and it worked really well....tomorrow we get a soft top found a good deal on fafebook....will need to meet up to run some trails

Mk
Old 06-18-2016, 06:51 AM   #5019

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
MK,
There is a small ball valve at the tank, it comes with the tank. I usually leave it open and just let the fuel drain on its own. I only use the auxiliary tank when we are traveling. One suggestion, if you install on your own, you have to space the tank/toolbox away from the front of the bed far enough to be able to open the toolbox lid.
Lloyd,
Looking good , nice job.
Have a good day all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:54 AM   #5020

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning'
Nothing to report.

Very nice installation Lloyd. If you keep displaying that level of skill you will be overqualified for the 'finger pointing' department. You cannot be disqualified from working because of US labor laws like me. Your only chance is to display a reduced level of competence which means you are really going to have to fake it. LOL

Just checking in to say have a great day everyone.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:42 PM   #5021

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good Morning Everyone! Coffee was very good today!
Tim, so sorry about the PA! It should fix up ok, you might have to take the bumper off and straight'n it out with a hammer and a press! As for the fiberglass repair, just google it, pretty straight forward stuff. The paint match on the other hand, might be something for the pro's to do!
Great job, Lloyd! Looks good!
Steve, I know all about the memory foam getting hard as a rock in the cold! I had a topper on the mattress in my semi, as the pillows, and the first time I sat on it after the truck had been out in the freezing cold, it was so hard! It took about 6 hours for it to thaw out, with the heater going! I then got smart, and got a mattress warming pad, put it under the topper, and just plugged it in about a hour before I went to bed, nice and toasty! As for the pillows, they went bye bye!!
Well, my son Wes is taking very good care of "Mona", and is out in her again this weekend! He had to get a new start battery, as it died, after all the over charging it got while we were on our trip! But everything is working as it should now, so good that he is getting to use her, and good for Mona too!

Name:	13442322_1408546925829232_644599142803210292_n.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	130591
Everyone, have a great day! Rail!
Old 06-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #5022
bap

hey hey hey happy fathers day !!!

well sold the scotty to a great young family yesterday,,there first rv,,..very excited for them,,i also told them about all of you folks and what a great site this is,,,,i truley hope they join us on here,,

well gotta get the coffee going to get me started on the metzendorf...lol

everyone have a great day,,,,and all you dads out there enjoy !!!!

....jeff
Old 06-20-2016, 05:59 AM   #5023

Good morning all!

10 days, 10 hours, 9 mins 51 seconds and I retire!! Whoo Hoo!

Beautiful day here yesterday, low 80's, blue sky etc.. Went for a nice motorcycle ride with my son in-law and 2 grandsons. We had a great time. My son worked the night before, and last night so didn't get to see him.

MK, thanks. Funny you mentioned the roof off yesterday. We for the first time last night took our T tops off. Really easy, was nice to run about topless!! LOL Wouldn't do that here in the "normal" weather. The sun here will set you on fire just sitting in it!

Was it hard taking the top off? Got any pics of your top removal device?

Nice to have your own maint crew Rail. Gordon,,,, Rail may have the best plan. He points from very far away, and his coach is prepared!!! Taa Daa!

Have a great day all!

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:37 AM   #5024
cwk

Good morning, all!

71F here (7:24 AM) and partly cloudy. Expected highs about 83F and partly cloudy. Perfect for working outside: no hot sun to drive it up into the 90's.

Spent a long weekend with the kids (son, DIL, GD). Nice break from looking at boxes to unpack. Some of them need to go into the new building, but it is not there yet!

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE...
The construction crew arrived at 6:55. The new building is going up as I type this!

Steve, Thanks for the info. I will do a bit of research on the density of seat cushions. That should give me a good idea. Glad your trip is going well.

Everyone, Have a Great Day!
cwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:39 AM   #5025

The roof is mainly awkward and just a little heavy. I will get some pics this afternoon. My brother in law made my wife and I a swing and the frame was made out of drill stem....plenty heavy. I adapted that frame a boat crank and cable and built a frame out of 3/4 inch suckered rod....used an old trailer that my father in law built to put it on and backed it into the barn....fso I will get some pics and put them up.

Hope all fathers had a good day yesterday I know I did everyone be safe and have fun..

Mk
Old 06-20-2016, 08:39 AM   #5026

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post

Nice to have your own maint crew Rail. Gordon,,,, Rail may have the best plan. He points from very far away, and his coach is prepared!!! Taa Daa!

Have a great day all!

L.
Lloyd - have to agree. Rail has it made. I doubt he even had to point. Seems to have a motivated crew. Have to observe though as one of my responsibilities for a while was safety manager, we need to provide taller ladders. And probably a suspension system with safety harness for waxing the top of the coach. Cannot have our star worker injured by falling off the top of a ladder. I am sure there is a message posted there that says do not stand here. If not we will have to add one.

We are going to have to be careful. With Debbie and Rail showing such pointing skills we may have to develop another department to for us to staff. We could become hecklers like the two old fellows on the Muppets but . . . . . . . suggestions?

Had a nice ride to our motorcycle club meeting yesterday. Today is back to the more mundane tasks around the yard. Have more trees to cut down. Will start on them Thursday. Oldest grand daughter is a great helper.

Charles - great news about the crew being on site. Hopefully will only take them a few days to erect the building.

Everyone have a great day.