Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:42 AM   #5265

Goooodmorning all yíall!!!

Itís another beautiful day in sunny Sierra Vista. Unfortunately, I like to loaf in the morning, typically not getting down to business until around 10am. Hence my main problem with summertime in Sierra Vista, by 10am itís already getting too hot to work!

This morning I was sitting out under my canopy enjoying breakfast and looked upÖ

and there were these two guys intently watching me. HmmmmÖ

I looked around and saw two more, upon further inspection I discovered I was surrounded.

I wonder if they know something I donít know. Who knows, maybe Iíll be going on my final adventure sooner then Iíd expected. Lucky for me itís something that Iím not at all worried about. Letís face it death and taxes are both a given, though I gotta admit that itís really not at all fair lumping death with something as hideous as taxes.

As much as I love Sierra Vista for most of the year, summertime is not my favorite season here. However, I spent last summer in San Marcos TX and it was far worse, hotter and much more humid, not to mention a whole lot more rain and mosquitos. Assuming nothing bad happens with my RV, Iíll be heading to Ruidoso NM in August and then Illinois in September and October to visit friends throughout the state and hopefully get a little pheasant hunting in. Iím mainly going up to Illinois to put a few thousand flatland miles on my new engine before heading into the Rockies. Thisíll probably be my last time back in Illinois, since next year I plan to spend the summer in Idaho or Montana. Somewhere with altitude, beautiful views, great hiking, fishing and average cooler weather. With luck my career as a geologist will get me a volunteer position at a National Park interpretive center and I can get my RV campground expenses covered. Ya baby!

Iím glad to see youíre doing better Tim and that the rest of you folks are getting out and about. This is a beautiful country we live in and itíd be a crime not to enjoy it.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 10:57 AM   #5266

Winnebago Owners Club
Tim - glad you are feeling better. Hope the meds quickly work for the infection.

Off to finish the last of the waxing on the coach. Have it scheduled for an ECM recall on Wednesday so at least I will start out with a shiny hiney and sidewalls.

Have a great day.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #5267

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thanks MK, after I posted the question, memory returned and I thought that you were in Texas. I know that we are going to have a drive back north in August, and I am not looking forward to it. Not taking the 5er, but still an 1100 mile trip 1 way.
Steve,
I don't think that you better nod off for a nap any time soon, lol.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #5268

Steve
I've seen those birds surrounding (maybe swarming would be a better description)and cleaning off a carcass ,wasn't something I would want to be the guest of honor at !!!

I always wanted (and still do) to be a Nat Park interpretive ranger.
Do you know if they all have to have a degree and are all positions volunteer or do some get a salary?

I got an offer to ride the tour bus and do a running commentary on the sights on the GC north rim but passed because I didn't have the fuel fund to get there , plus the job required staying into November after the roads are closed and I would have had to take my rig "down the hill " to a storage lot and stay in the dorms ,,,,,Homey don't do dorms and not a fan of leaving my rig in a storage lot either.

Lynne
Mom's going to her doc next week and I'll report back on that .

Tim
Your recovery plan sounds like so much fun you might not want to leave ! (Gee , my foot still hurts , can I stay another month ?)
It does sound like your Bro is looking forward to your stay !
Old 07-10-2016, 02:08 PM   #5269

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Afternoon,

Steve, keep an eye out because you sure don't want to be at the beak end of things with feathered neighbors.

MK, has she ever told you what bothers her about pulling a trailer or 5er? Being female I see a lot of women who won't drive the rigs and it surprises me because I love to drive the MH. Even pulling the dolly and Prius is fine. You just got to watch your corners.

Frank, the drive always to be tiring. I always liked getting home but not the getting there.

Popeye, There are jobs posted for all National Parks.. They pay $11 an hour I believe but may adjust to the position. You go online and look at National Parks and then employment. They post your resume and the different parks look at it and you get offers. I was told by a lady working at the GC that once you show them your work ethics, you can choose which park you go to. Check it out. In Work Kamping News there are like 36,000 jobs in different locations. All sorts of jobs. Might be worth looking at too. You can pick this by state.

Tim, sounds like a good place to recover. Take it easy though so the foot heals. Don't want to keep bumping that foot and breaking it back open. But have fun also.

So, Jerry and I went out to put some items in the rig today and I found we have a mouse. YIKES! We just put it in storage on Thursday and glad we found the evidence. Found 3 pieces of corn in the rig, the TP chewed up and realized we needed to exterminate quickly.

We went home, got mice traps and peanut butter and set the traps. Got moth balls and put around and underneath the rig. Had it stored in the same place last year and no problems. Will go out one night and flash light in compartments and see if we can figure out where they are coming from. Hopefully find a few dead tomorrow.

Take care, keep safe and be happy. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:40 PM   #5270

Lynne she doesn't even like to back up in a vehicle......that includes her new jeep which is way shorter than her truck she traded in...lol

I think she just has it in her mind it's not something she ever wants to do so she won't try

Mk
Old 07-10-2016, 02:55 PM   #5271

Lynne
I've subscribed to WKNews since the mid 90s. Have been WKing FT since 2003 and have done most job types. (I'm actually a Workamper Ambassador ,,I've probably talked many into joining but never got credit !)

I just stopped last fall when I started taking care of mom , probably will re-up when I have an extra $40 just to see what's happening.....I have a backpack full of old issues that I use to scan for the state I was in at the time ,even old ads might help find some good WKing jobs !
My fave so far was a Pirate Ship Captain , arrrggghhhhh!

So many now want only couples , and/or have pink and blue job discrimination...... I can't do maintenance anymore and hate security ,just not my personality , more the concierge type , not the big A that enforces the rules (camper's terms , not mine)....

I'll probably get more serious about the Ranger thing when I get back out on the road.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:29 PM   #5272

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
afternoon,
Well another day at the hospital, The docs are saying Monday discharge I'm starting to go bonkers. I must admit the food is good and the nurses are great, very nice even the NA are too. Most of them (NA's) are foreigners and hard too understand but I manage. Still getting anti-bionics thru IV
They are now saying that all of the germs are treatable by pill form so I won't need to have a Pick line put in, Yeah,
Had a female come from the Catholic community this morning and I received communion. Thank you Lord for hearing the prayer's sent for me.

Steve are those Turkey buzzard's?

mk, I slept 3 hours each of the first 2 nights, last night I slept 5 hours. another reason to go home.
Hope you feel better.
Gordon wasn't the microwave under warranty?
Now that you guys ae done waxing you can come over and finish mine, I can let you use the buffer. I have a 30 amp dedicated power supply too hook up too.
Any one heard from Curtis?
That's about it,
Those on the road be safe.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:35 PM   #5273

Winnebago Owners Club
Tim - I am going to give up on waxing the coach - or anything else. It rained this morning when I was working on it. Let up at noon when I came in for lunch. Went out after lunch and it started up again. Now that I am done it keeps on raining. Just waiting for me to venture out.

Hope it stops soon and for sure tomorrow. I am scheduled to take the motorcycle in for a recall. Just finished waxing that as well the other day. Something is going to get splashed I am sure. Probably me as well.

Microwave is about 10 years old so no warranty. It was the inverter so 200 later I can warm my second cup of coffee.

Hmm - I am wondering about your choices. Hospital: lots of lovely ladies waiting on you hand and "foot" (no deliberate pun but it works), good food and Wi-Fi. Brothers: zero turn (yikes)! I know it is a tough decision and you will come to the solution that works for you. Just take it easy and follow Dr. orders when you leave.

We have had another 3/4 inch since 10 this morning. This is a coach - not a river boat!
Old 07-10-2016, 08:18 PM   #5274

Hi all!

Gordon, I expect the hurricane season to start here soon! I have 3 days cleaning, waxing, polishing wheels, waxing wheels, etc etc... Have no fear everone, the storm won't come till I back the coach out of the barn!!!

Steve,,,, waiting for another post. Hope those buzzards ain't got ya.

Lynne, years ago we got in our MH and headed out on a trip. I am am busy driving and focused on the task, and good friends of ours little girl (about 5) was in the passenger seat with me. She started saying "Hi Mousey", over and over. I wondered what the heck. Then I looked on the dash and in front of her was a little mouse sitting there just looking at us as we sped along on the highway. Eventualy the mouse went back under the dash,,,, and I knew we had a problem. LOL Of course soon as we arrived at the rv park,,, I was assigned a mission!!!

Tim, tomorrow will be here soon. The report gets better everytime you mention, great they can get it all with pills.

Frank, long drive. Your welcome to a stop over here take a rest. Deb and I have a few trips planned but we could match up schedules.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #5275

Winnebago Owners Club
Geez Lloyd - maybe leave the wheels unpolished. Maybe top out at a tropical storm! LOL
Old 07-10-2016, 08:51 PM   #5276

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
beamsil,
"So, Jerry and I went out to put some items in the rig today and I found we have a mouse. YIKES! We just put it in storage on Thursday and glad we found the evidence. Found 3 pieces of corn in the rig, the TP chewed up and realized we needed to exterminate quickly."

Dryer sheets, I have them scattered thru out the MH and no mice going on 6 years. JS

Gordon, mom always told me that if I wax or wash the car it will rain. She was usually right.
Last trip up north I had the MH detailed and it rained 10 minutes after hitting the road so I stopped at the first rest stop and wiped her down, we hit the road and with in 1/2 hour you guessed it, it rained again. So it was dirty the rest of the way. I cleaned it after we got up to the cabin.

Tim
Old 07-10-2016, 10:10 PM   #5277

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Lloyd,
Thanks for the offer , we may taake you up on it, but not sure yet, we are going to rent a car with our credit card points, and we might drive straight thru. Rita can drive the car, I won't let her drive my baby, lol. We are planning on going leaving the 2nd week in August, either sat or sunday, the 6th or 7th.
Lynne,
Peppermint extract on a cotton ball works also, and it smells better than the moth balls, you do have to redo about once a month though, Rita made me live trap them when we had them a few years ago, she then took them out in the woods, food for the hawks and park kitties, lol.
Tim,
Glad that you are getting sprung tomorrow. Also good news on the no IV's and only pills for the antibiotics. As long as you get healed up and healthy again, that is the most important part.
Have a great night all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:34 AM   #5278

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
morning,
coffee is strong here at the hospital
Well hoping to go home today, 1 day has turned into going on 4
Joe has got the MH cleaned up I'm going to start my Rehab in there. It's been 8 months since I slept in the S&B. I should just go full time and sell the S&B. Thought about it a lot while laying here.
That's about it from here.
Tim

« Total Rebuild | - »