Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:15 PM   #5335

The problem with boondocking is that Iím currently limited. My RV is a work in progress, the original owner took dreadful care of it and while Iíve made it very roadworthy (new engine and over-hauled the suspension) itís currently equipped with a small all-AC apartment sized refrigerator. One of my winter goals is to install a propane refrigerator and a robust solar system. Iíve worked over the 7KW Onan generator so that it runs really good but itís way overkill for my needs and has a rated fuel use of 3/4 gallon per hour! I may sell it and invest in a 2KW Honda generator. Being able to boondock for weeks on end would be great since the water and waste handling systems are in good shape.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 06:51 PM   #5336

Hmmmm , I took the Onasn 6500w genny out of my classA and sold it , then used the cash to get my solar system , then got the Honda 2K too.

If I had to do it again I would get the Honda first !
You don't really need anything else, 10-15 hours on a gallon of gas....depending on load.
I can manage nicely with just that. Well, except for the AC!

Old 07-15-2016, 09:12 PM   #5337

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good morning everyone! Coffee is good today!
Popeye, I had a 2000 Honda generator for a couple of years, then sold it to my son who is still using it! I strapped it to the back deck of my semi, and it would power my 8000 btu A/C all night 10/12 hours on one gallon of gas! And people would walk by, and ask, how loud is that Honda when it is running? I would smile and tell them, it is running, and they would have to touch it to make sure! It still starts first pull, and works great!
It also has a built-in charger that keeps your battery's topped off!
I put in a 8/10K diesel when I did the sleeper upgrade, but the little Honda was a great little unit!
Everyone have a great day! Rail!!
Old 07-16-2016, 06:33 AM   #5338

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Morning,
Coffee is good
Currently 60, a little chilly, IT is July isn't it?
Almost turned on the furnace yesterday morning.
Lilly my 4 legged little girl is not feeling well, not sure what's going on but she is just blaaa, she won't jump up on the couch or the barrel chairs. She seemed to enjoy the car ride yesterday. I took her to bed last night but she wanted down so I put her down and when I got up @ 5 she was standing in the living room, looking lost. Maybe it's the warm weather but that hasn't bothered her before. She had to have gotten into something but it wasn't in the MH.
Went to a car show last night in North St. Paul first time this year they have it every Friday night. There was a bunch of Buick Rivera's I had never seen so many in one place. Then there was a 1960 Lincoln Mark 5 convert ,Blk on Blk ,Blk Sunbrella top. Must of just got off the show floor. Boy was it nice.
My 64 was the only one there. A few late 60ties and early 70ties Caddies. Lots of Muscle Car's Cuda's ,RT's, stangs, 442's,
Goats,(GTO) even a SuperBee and 55-56 chev's.
Did a little fiberglass patch on the MH yesterday. Went good I think... more to do.
That's about it,
Those on the road today be safe,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:58 AM   #5339

Winnebago Owners Club
Good morning everyone;
Not too much to report here. Still getting morning sun and afternoon/overnight showers or rain. Everything is saturated. Makes transplanting trees quite easy. Have only had to water once since the transplant.

Tim - sounds like you are able to get out and about. Hope the pain is low and the recovery continues.

Have a great day.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:12 PM   #5340

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Afternoon gang,
Went to breakfast this morning with neighbors, the put 2nd coat of color on the outside of the door that I have been working on, then painted the trim on the building that surrounds the door, so the color will match. Monday will paint the 1st coat of the inside of the door, then tuesday the 2nd coat. hopefully I can hang it tuesday afternoon. Then start on the next door on the other side of the building and do it all over again.
Tim,
Sounds like quite a show up there, it would be neat seeing all of those cars. Hope that the foot is healing properly and that you have minimal pain if any at all.
Have a great day all,
Frank
Have
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:17 PM   #5341

Still in the 80s here , right where I like it.
Afternoon/evening storms come across from the west but don't always hit here .

Rail
Yup yup , I love my little 2K they ARE one quiet genny.
I know a guy that runs 2 in parallel and not much louder (3db).
I've had mine for 10 years now , 1500 hours on the log book and it still starts and runs great ! I'm running full synthetic Pennzoil in it. Change every 400 hours... original plug still in it too.

Tim
Good to hear you're doing well. Sounds like a good show!
Wish I could send you a few degrees from here
Old 07-17-2016, 06:30 AM   #5342

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Morning,
Currently 66,
Raining almost all night. We really need it in our area, my yard is toast. Most of the state is soaked.
Got some more fiber-glassing done yesterday afternoon on the PA's rear end. Man is fiberglass a real pain working with. It get's in everything, and of coarse I forgot Acetone for clean up, but found some finger polish remover.
Got a invite to a bonfire, yep at my brothers. More burning of the burnt barn lumber. Boy does it burn hot I bet we sat 15-20 feet from the fire. Oyea it was raining, it started after he got the fire going so we all sat under umbrella's. That was a first. There were Pickled Beets being made (thick syrup) when we got here, my recipe too boy they are excellent.
We brought the PA and are going to stay a few days. He's been after me too keep my foot elevated. I told him I can't just lay around. But I will because he is right...
It's his B-day next week and the JD Zero turns new wheels on the deck all 8 of them so I ordered them. $114.00 I wish the MH tires were that cheap!!!
Lily seems to be feeling better this morning but not 100% I really feel bad for her.
Gordon before you know it you will have your own forest. How many trees planted so far?
Popeye, It was a great show the city closes off approx. a 1/2 too 3/4 of a mile and cars park and mingle and you can cruise the main drag if you want.
There's a good old movie on called "Somewhere in the Night" suspense... it has taken me since 5 am to finish this.
Have a nice Sunday ya'll
Those on the road be safe,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:41 AM   #5343

Goooodmorning all yíall!!!

Iíve been researching Honda generators. As usual the ĎIf some is good, more is better!í syndrome is taking over. I first reviewed the 1kw Honda specs, actually itíd probably be fine. Next the 2kw Honda is nice, I could run everything but my AC off the generator, itís rated at 0.12gals/hr and I could run the AC but would have to turn off most everything else. However, itís still a rope start. There are companies that supply electric start kits but theyíre around $250-$300. I finally looked at a 3kw Honda generator. It has an electric start and is rated at 0.17 gals/hr. Itís probably the perfect solution, however, it costs twice what a 2kw generator costs. It may be that a 1kw or 2kw generator supplemented with a robust solar system and battery bank would do the trick on a hot day when I want to run the AC and have a working refrigerator. Whatever I decide to do, this is going to be a winter project so I have time to plan it out before I act. Having made a good income throughout my working life itís hard to have to nickel and dime projects, but it does motivate me to research and plan better.

The heat wave will be relenting for the next few days. Todayís high is expected to be 83 degrees . Now that I can live with! Rainís expected this afternoon, which Iím looking forwards to. Itíll help green things up.

I began going through trip photos yesterday. Thereíre so many itís hard to decide what to keep, what to post, and what to delete. Iím certainly glad theyíre digital!

Sounds like most all yíall have been enjoying summer and thatís mighty fine. Keep it up!

Steve
Old 07-17-2016, 09:24 AM   #5344

Gulf Streamers Club
Steve, since you say the Honda 3K generator is twice the 2K cost, you might buy one of the 2k to start, then as time and funds allow, buy the second 2k and hook together. Then you would only need to run the second 2k when running the AC. Of course that would mean pull start for both.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:37 AM   #5345
bap

top of the morning folks,,
DEBBIE said she would make some blackberry scones if we had some blackberries sooo I went and picked a good mess of plump over ripened berries my hands are purple as can be ,,they still tast good,,,i ll be licken my fingers most of the day...lol,,i also made sure I got enough for milkshakes afterwhile also,,so if anyone wants a scone and or milkshake come on over..

the daily event for me today is to wait until the heat of the day mid 90s and fire up the ole john deere and brush hog the horse pature...before the weeds seed out,,

everyone enjoy this day and remember what if we woke up this morning with only the things we thanked GOD for last night,,,
jeff
Old 07-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #5346

Hereíre photos of my Alaska trip from Arizona to Dawson City and the start of the Alaska Highway.

The remnant hardened lava clearly reveals the flow direction of this particular lava flow. Craters of the Moon National Monument, ID

Inside the opening of a lava cave. This one is particularly nice because ceiling areas collapsed allowing light into the cave.

The Madison River valley near Virginia City MT where much of a favorite childhood book I read took place.

View I awoke to in an I-15 rest area north of Butte MT

The beautiful Missouri River where it runs along I-15

View from my campsite at a trailhead parking area in Banff National Park

Lake Louise was still partially frozen when I arrived

A classic glacial valley in Jasper National Park

A pretty waterfalls in Jasper NP

The official start of the Alaska Highway in Dawson Creek Canada

More to follow...
Old 07-17-2016, 07:55 PM   #5347

Winnebago Owners Club
Steve - great pictures. So far I would suggest that unless the picture is fuzzy or has someone photo bombing you keep them all. A great big slideshow would be fun at the Meet and Greet. Wonderful memories chronicled in your photographs.

Went for a bike ride today. Of course went through a rain shower. Now spending time to clean up and re-polish the bike. YUCK.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:28 PM   #5348

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Steve,
Great pics, thank you so much for sharing. I agree with Gordon on the big slideshow.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote