Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:29 PM   #5349

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good morning everyone!! Coffee is good today!!
Steve, don't let the pull start discourage you on the 2000W Honda generator! They start so easy, first pull, and run great!
Also, check out the Yamaha generators too! Same quality and quietness, and a little cheaper than the Honda. They are inverter/generators too. I have had both, so have experience with them, and a lot of people like the Champion generators too, but I do not have any personal experience with them, so, hopefully someone will chime in!
Man, I am getting a serious case of missing Mona, and am glad my son is getting to use her, and said she is working great! I just think about that long plane ride to get back to the US, and it eases my mind a bit!
Steve, also, great pic's!
Gordon, just remember when you first got back home, how dry it was, and you were praying for rain! So enjoy it! Rain is life!
Frank, how is the park renovation going? Is it a mess? I know in the end it will be nice, but getting there is trying, I'm sure!
Jeff, how's the "following the finger" going? Hehe!
Lloyd, you learning how to "follow the finger" too?
Hope everyone is enjoying the summer, and those out there traveling, have fun! Rail!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 10:32 PM   #5350

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
And I forgot, Jay, what is going on with Maggie? Missing the updates! Rail!

Old 07-18-2016, 06:39 AM   #5351

Good Morning!

Very scary day yesterday! How quickly things can change!

I did some mowing and some wacking on the lawn in the morning, and then was in the coach working on converting a florescent light to LED when Deb came in the coach all upset. She handed me the phone and it was our daughter who was in panic mode, and barely understandable. My son-inlaw and youngest grandson went motorcycling, and had rode up into Eastern Tenn. and on one of the curvey mountain roads my grandson had missed the corner and hit a car head on! Estimated collision speed of 35 mph,,,,, each.

My daughter and oldest grandson came over to our house, by then I had the trailer on the truck, and off we raced on the 3 1/2 hour drive to Johnson City Tenn.. Meanwhile youngest grandson reports was in was in pain, complaining about a leg and his hip area. Took a ambulance ride.

Long story short,,,, he broke nothing, has no abrasions, and he was kept overnight for observations just because of how this all occurred. He got lucky. He hit a Toyota car (low profile) went over the hood and landed on the the road on the otherside of the car. He had all his gear on, full helmet, armour jackets, pants, boots and gloves. The gear worked, and luckily he didn't connect with a taller SUV.

Scared us all, for the first few hours we were not sure what was going on, and the panic was very scary!

I think I have shared before,,,, I have always been a avid motorcyclist. I ride often, and a lot. My son, my son-inlaw picked up the bad habit from me. And now it seems grandsons. I often feel like I hooked them on a great passion of mine,,,, and it is so much fun to share that. But I always worry about them. After a few hundred thousand miles I am full of all the little secrets it takes to survive in a pretty dangerous sport,,,, but sometimes wish they just quit and stayed home where it is safe.

POPPY'S RULE IN AFFECT STARTING 7/17/2016

Poppys rule was put into affect yesterday. (I amd Poppy) It states as follows, all parents and grandchildren have been informed.

NO GRANDCHILDREN WILL BE ALLOWED TO RIDE THEIR MOTORCYCLES AGAIN, ALL ARE GROUNDED UNTIL THEY SCHEDULE AND COMPLETE THE MOTORCYCLE SAFETY FOUNDATION EXPERIENCED RIDE CLASS. POPPY WILL PAY FOR AND FUND SUCH TRAINING AS NEEDED. NO EXCEPTIONS ARE ALLOWED. (PS, all parents have agreed to said rule)

Hope grandson comes home today, hope you all have a great day!

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:00 AM   #5352

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Lloyd,
What a scary phone call, glad that grandson is OK.
Rail,
They are moving right along with the expansion, the storm and sanitary sewers are run in the back,and the main water line is just shy of half way done. They still have to run the lines to the individual sites and run the electric. They say that they are going to start on the concrete around the first of August. Another crew is working on the church side(on the left of the drive coming in). They have taken out most of the trees and are installing the storm and sanitary sewers over there.

Watch out for the Champion Generators, they are a lot louder than the Honda and Yamaha ones from what I have been told.

Have a great day all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:08 AM   #5353

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Lloyd, Good to hear GS is okay , I'm with you on the training, I was a federally licensed ATV trainer back in the day and always advocate training, when DW got her license she went and got the basic course and now wants to take to advanced, I know what your saying about the little tips of surviving 40+ years on the streets, they run constantly in your head all the time without even knowing. I too worry about family members on the road. I have a Champion and yes they are a louder, but I haven't actually tested them against the other.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:18 AM   #5354
bap

LOYD,,,,, what a scare for sure my friend,,...thank the good lord above he was wearing all his gear and GOD put the smaller vehicle in his path instead of the taller one,,we don't know but just maybe this will save his life some day by showing him what can happen in an instant,,....another thing I think..you undoubtedly taught your family to wear the proper gear... hence... making this a learning experience instead of a funeral...
Old 07-18-2016, 07:25 AM   #5355

Coffee is great this morning. ...

WOW Lloyd. ....what can one say....just glad the GS is ok...

Steve great pics and I third the motion for a slide show...

Made to Ft. Benning and back...one day to get there, Wednesday, graduation on Thursday and it was impressive I just cannot fathom how someone could not get emotional towards this great country after seeing something like this....

Took a detour on the way back and took the grandson to New Orleans friday night....yeah I know he's only 20 months but he loved the lights and sounds of Bourbon Street....I did too...lol. 1725 miles was a nice trip so ready to be able to do it fulltime....

Well prayers to those sick or injured as well as our police officers but Texas lost a good Correctional Officer Saturday morning in Abilene so prayers go out to her family through this hard time....CO'S are hardly thought of but keep us all safe from the monster's that want to live under our beds...

Stay safe and enjoy life

Mk
Old 07-18-2016, 09:06 AM   #5356

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning All;
Lloyd - I like your rules. Poppy Rules!!! Your grand son was fortunate to walk away from the accident virtually unscathed. Hopefully it will be a wakeup call for him. Every year in our area we have a number of serious injuries and deaths of motorcyclists, not all of them young people. Many times speed is a big factor.

The most critical thing in my opinion is we get caught up in the thrill of riding and are constantly pushing the bounds. Couple that with big horse power you can get into trouble very quickly. Add a bit of debris (sand, litter) between the lanes and you are very unlikely to recover from a small error in entering a curve. "Doing the twisties" is quite enjoyable. I quite often have dragged the floor boards. Yikes - running right on the edge. Once you are touching there is very little room to go if something unexpected is encountered.

I was on the Dragons Tail and watched a bike pass me and because of speed drift into the opposite lane on the next curve and head on a bike going the other way. Fortunately no one killed.

I am not sure if the answer is a graduated license. In Australia your first bike license is only good for something like 250 cc for a couple years before you can get a bigger bike. Nowadays though 250 is putting out some serious power.

In retrospect I wonder how we lived through some of the 'stunts' we pulled off. We rode in cars without seatbelts, kids rode in the back window, no helmets, no armor, etc.? I don't think we had as many serious accidents as we hear about today. Or maybe there was just less news. Maybe there was a bit more common sense so the results of the accidents were less serious.

Just listening to the news this morning. Toronto council is considering a law that makes it illegal to cross the street while looking at your electronic device! That is because there have been some accidents with people walking into traffic. DUH!

I think it is time to start teaching common sense. But many times learning comes with hard knocks.

POPPY Rules!!

Enough of the pontificating.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #5357

Thanks everyone!!!!! He is on his way home now, in a few hours he will be there and we are going to go over and visit,,,,, and drop his and his fathers bikes off.

Here on the east coast, there is so much more traffic, population is everywhere. We live in a rural county, that has 350 people per sq mile!!

This is a passion for me, had been for years. So I did insist on the gear, and they all followed that. Full face helmets, jackets with armour, pants with armour, and real motorcycle boots. Kevlar gloves. The stuff works, I've tested it!!!!

I just wish I had pushed harder on the training. I was trying to not be a "over board" GF. Well, now I will not hold back. Poppy's rule is in affect.

Terry, Debbie rode for years till the knee problem messed her up. Between us, I was content when she quit. I was always staring in the mirror, or watching ahead of me and wondering if she was gonna get it right. Much less worry with her on the back seat!!!

Well thanks you all for your support!!

Steve those were great pics!!

New Orleans is fun. So weird to look up at the river and see ships go by? Who thought that was a good idea???

Frank, any idea what they are spending to expand that park? Sounds like a major project. I guess the Florida RV park demand is driving that?

Have a great evening all!

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:29 PM   #5358

Lloyd
Glad the damage was only gear!
An experience like that usually has an effect on how someone drives in the future.

Steve
Great pics , keep 'em all! Post whenever........

Mk
I did a show in N'allins on new years eve '89-90 , remember it like yesterday.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:03 PM   #5359

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Evening All,

Lloyd! Wow, so glad they are ok. Those calls are awful, ours didn't end so good. My Brother died and so did my Nephew. Bryan died over 30 years ago and Pete just 3 years ago.

My brother used to say when his wife was gone he slept with his Harley. He loved riding his bike and he was a good driver. Things happen though and there is no guarantee. You guys who ride really have a very special relationship with your bikes. It just isn't something anyone else can grasp or understand. It's just special. I love riding them too, but I just lost that desire when my brother died. My Mom couldn't stand it.

I saw a billboard the other day that I thought was quite interesting: "Buckle up, you see how the others on the road drive." No matter how careful we are, things can happen but to give up the need to ride, not going to happen to most of you. So glad that your boys are good, I pray they stay safe. Keep after them Poppy.

Rail Mona is probably missing you too but she will be in pretty clean shape when you get back here. The good thing is your son will have her all washed up and shining when you come back over. Can you sleep through the plane ride? Nah, me neither.

Frank, sounds like there is going to be a lot of extra spots this year but bet it will fill up fast. Won't take long for the expansion to get out and people will be showing up. Are they raising the rates along with the expansion?

Bap, I sure like the colors on that TT. Your Debbie sure has good taste.

Take care all, keep safe, and hug someone. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:58 PM   #5360

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Evening Gang,
MK,
Glad that you had a fun and safe trip. We had a couple retired CO's in the park last winter, I know at least one of them is coming back this year. A bunch of retired poilce officers too.
Lloyd and Lynne,
I am not sure how much they are spending, but there is money behind the project, Eventually it will expand the park from around 77 sites to nearly 400 sites. Some of the back sites will be for Park Models And yes they raised the rates quite a bit last year before any improvements were done, this year they scaled back part of the increase, but that was because almost 40% of the snowbirds are not coming back this winter for a number of reasons. It ill loose a lot of its rustic look, and a lot of the old trees will be gone, but so will the dirt and dust and tree stuff that gets all over everything, we will have concrete patios and concrete to park the rigs on, then the rest of the drive will be blacktop. We will have city sanitary sewers instead of septic tanks and storm sewers to handle the rain water, so that will help a lot.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:23 PM   #5361

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Evening,
Lloyd, glad it all worked out for the good. I remember last summer getting the call about my brother being involved in a MC/Full size van, the drive seemed to take for ever, and all I knew was he was airlifted to the hospital. He was just getting off his bike for a dentist appointment when a guy having a heart attack creamed him. He went over the van and his bike under. The guy in the van was dead from the heartattack so you can be safe as all get out and then there's the other guy.
Glad it worked out in there favor.
Still out at the farm and I did get to try out the JD zero turn. took it for a spin around the farm. Kept my foot elevated resting it on the deck lift pedal. The horses really liked it, and so did I. The pontoon lost the steering, bummer no fishing . I told my brother that I want to sell the S&B this morning and it went fairly well. I also asked him about a reverse mortgage deal I'm not really sure how they work.
I spent a good couple hours looking for a Foretravel 40 foot or a Alpha Gold on line this afternoon I did see a 1998 Foretravel with 17,000 miles on it. Not even broken in yet, and about $19,000 over what I want to spend.
Well got to go wash my foot I get the stiches out next Monday, then watch out.
Steve awesome pictures what a vacation.
I'm going to try and straighten the rear bumper tomorrow,with a ratchet and straps so I can glass that big booboo.
Those on the road be safe,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:07 AM   #5362

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good morning everyone!! Coffee was good today!!
Well, got the laptop back yesterday, with the new key board, and everything gone thru, checked out, and fixed! Total cost, 1220 Baht/ 35 dls!! Wow! So it is still windows 7 for me, yeah!!!
Lloyd, so glad your GS is OK!! Go Poppy! The reason I got rid of my old pan was a "almost smash" and the fact that I was just not able to take the hard tail ride any more! I could have changed to a newer, smoother riding hog, but just decided it was time! With the OTR trucking taking up most of my time, it was a smart move, and I bought my first MH with the money from the bike! Did I miss riding, Heck Yeah!!! But when I look back, man, did I have a good time, no wrecks, (on the road bikes) and a few on the off road bikes, but no major injuries! I was very lucky!
Tim, take care with your foot, don't over do it!
Lynne, nah, can't sleep on the plane, maybe a cat nap, but sleep, nope, just can't get that comfortable! At 6'3" just not enough leg room, plus the seats headrests just don't go high enough for me! It is a 20+ hour flight, so a real punisher! This next time we come over though, we will stay longer, 2 months or more, as Jira is retired now, so no hurry for her to get back to work! And yes, Mona is liking it at my son's for sure! He and his mech. friends are taking very good care of her!
Frank, I hope the "taking out" of the old trees, and changing the rustic nature of the CG does not hurt the business? I guess time will tell!
I love staying and camping at the County parks, state parks, National parks, COE, BLM, and the like! Just for the trees, shade, and the quiet! I love getting out and fishing, hiking, and just chilling with nature! My being raised as a boy scout, and all of our adventures and all of the parks we went too when I was young, instilled that into me, and it is still there!
Looks like Jay is very busy, as he has not been back on for awhile!
Jeff, love your avatar and the paint, and can't wait to see them all in person one of these days!!
Well, time to do something, been sitting too long!
Everyone have a great day!! Rail!