Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:53 AM   #5363

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Rail,
I have mixed feelings about the trees, I love the shade and the looks, but when you see huge limbs come crashing down from the winds, and think what could have happened if they had fallen on a unit. Then there is the crap on the roof and sides from the pollen and sap that falls, I can do without, instead of 8 to 10 hours of scrubbing on my hands and knees for the roof like last year, this year will only take a couple hours with the wash broom.
Have a great day all,
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 07:57 AM   #5364
bap

goodmornin gang,,

TIM,, good to know yer getting around as good as you are,,but don't push to hard and risk an infection,,,that would be worse than awfull ...

LOYD,, I'm sure the GS will be happy to be home,,,,what a nightmare that could have been much worse for sure..

well folks DEBBIE,BERT n myself are getting ready to embark on our biggest challenge yet,,we just bought a 20ft bare frame and gonna build one from scratch,,,,this is gonna be a blast,,,,we have often said it would be easier to just build our own,,,well were gonna find out..lol---not sure where were going with it yet but I can assure you it will be different...not like anything else out there,,..--anyway that's the plan so far..

gotta get crackin,,,have a BLESSED day my friends..

jeff

Old 07-19-2016, 08:34 AM   #5365

Winnebago Owners Club
Morning Everyone;
Life sounds grand. Healing, traveling and having a good time.

Going golfing today. Always a good time. Wish the score was better!

Tim - I am not sure about a reverse mortgage. My impression is they give you money on your house that you do not have to pay back until you sell or die. Then they collect their money plus interest on the proceeds. There are probably some additional restrictions like the term at which time you have to pay them back. Could be some words about the condition your house has to be maintained as well. Something to look into but I am skeptical of mortgage companies. They are only there for their benefit/profit and may charge a fairly high rate. They have to make a profit to stay in business I understand. It is an option that you could look into for sure if you wanted to stay in your house and end up with very little capital remaining at your demise. Here is a link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_mortgage

Time to get going here and start to load clubs in the car. Have a wonderful day.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #5366

The first 300 miles on the Alaska Highway after leaving Dawson Creek are rather boring unless you’re a fan of rolling hills and boreal forests. However, there are critters along the highway to occupy the view.

The first black bear of at least 23 that I spotted along the highway on my way to Alaska.

Those are bison grazing alongside the highway on both sides.

This red fox came by looking for a handout while I was making lunch.

The first mountains I went through on the Alaska Highway.

A glorious sunset.

An abandoned section of the Alcan Highway before “straightening”. The highway was originally 1700 miles long. It’s currently (2012) 1,387 miles long. Boy howdy, a whole lota straightening going on!

I’m not certain what river this is only that it’s pretty.

The sign post forest in Watson Lake. A lot of folks like to walk around in it, it just didn’t interest me that much. Sorry…

Enough with the rolling hills and boreal forests, let there be mountains!

I took a little 1/4 mile hike to view this beautiful waterfall. At the same time, being alone in the forest, it felt somewhat intimidating realizing that I was no longer top dog on the food chain.

Near Whitehorse I took a little side trip south on the Klondike Highway to Skagway and back. There are some beautiful mountains and lakes along the highway. As well as a nightmarishly long 11% grade going into Skagway .

Steve
Old 07-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #5367

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks Steve. Great picture and travelogue.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #5368

Steve,
Thanks so much for sharing those memorable pics with us.
Frank
Old 07-19-2016, 06:41 PM   #5369

Temps in the mid 70s today but back into the 80s tomorrow, low humidity , clear skies,,,,,,,,,,,,, Think I'll go get some lobstah !

Rail
I'm keeping my W7 till end of support !
Heck , I still have my Vista...

That repair bill is awesome

Tim
you call that taking it easy ?
I wonder what you'll be up to when you get the A OK from the docs...

bap
Please slow down to get some pics of that one , and bet you won't want to sell it !

Lynne
I watch other drivers swerving all over the road every day,,,,,texting on cellphones !!! One guy ahead of me today stopped for 3 GREEN lights..................

Frank
I'm sure the place will fill up but maybe with a different kind of campers (people , not rigs). 400 sites,,,,Lots more people. You're gonna need more workampers

Steve
Too bad there wasn't anything to look at on your trip!
Old 07-19-2016, 06:43 PM   #5370

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Evening,

Nice pictures and I agree with the nature views why stop and look at posted signs. I bet you had a great time Steve. Will you ever go back?

Frank, understand about the beauty and danger of trees. When you are there in the winter will the lack of trees make the 5th wheel hotter? No shade. Not sure how hot it gets down there in the winter so just wondering.

Tim, What I have read and seen about reverse mortgages is that they give you a certain amount of money for x amount of years. Monthly payments. This is while you live in the house. If you get sick and get put in a home then they take the house. That's what I have heard so you would need to be real sure about that.

Has anyone seen the new Chevrolet Trax? It is a shorter Equinox. Nice looking little vehicle but wish they could improve on the gas mileage.

Speaking of which when Jerry and I first got the MH we got about 6.5 MPG on our way home to Michigan. I deoxidized and waxed it last summer. We got the oil changed, got the OD fixed, the cruise control fixed and on the way down to and back up from Ohio (pulling a toad) we got 7.9 MPG. Thought that was pretty good.

Another beautiful day here in MI and it is going into the 90's the rest of the week. I love the warm weather. Have a good night all and keep safe.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:26 PM   #5371
cwk

Good evening, all!

Just checking in... Been real busy lately between yard sales and prepping the building so I can do stuff in it.

I've been reading the forum, and trying to follow what's happening, but the long, hot days have been rough.

Here, in no particular order, and will most likely miss some (no slight intended!)...

Tim, Glad to hear that everything went so well. And, you are obviously up and around a lot! As others have said, follow the Doctor's orders!!! Don't take any risks with your health. (OK. I'm done. )

Terry, How do you keep that pace? From here it looks like you are running a job-shop and every minute counts. Some might fine work. Thanks for sharing and teaching all of us some things.

Rail, Glad your son is enjoying maintaining and using Mona. Months ago I was wondering what you were going to do with her when you flew out of country. I didn't know about your son. That sounds like a win-win!

Popeye, Thanks for the humor. Some of it is from your great imagination. And, some you cannot make up: stopping for 3 GREEN LIGHTS???

Steve, Thanks for sharing the photos and some notes along the way. Small doses of photos every few days gives me something to look forward to without being overwheliming. I did not know that they "straightened" the Alaskan Highway. That was interesting to learn. The bison photo reminded me of a herd of wild horses that were keeping pace with my VW camper during my trip. At one point the entire herd (about 10+) crossed over in front of me. I thought I was doing over 50 MPH at the time, but I am not sure. I was more interested in watching the beautiful horses.

Frank, Hope you are still enjoying summer weather in FL. Last week we were in the very high 90's with head indices of about 105+ in the afternoons and early evenings. Nasty stuff. This week we are about 10 degrees cooler, but the direct sun is still very hot. Be careful outside. (But, you already know this!)

Jeff. Would love to see some progress photos, starting with the bare frame, please. I find it very interesting and helpful to know what makes an RV tick from the inside.

Lloyd, Glad everyone is ok. I like "Poppy's Rule!"

Lynne, Nice to hear that you were able to get the MH out for enjoyment. I am sure you are looking forward to many more adventures, of course.

MK, Glad you had a safe trip to Ft. Benning. My time was with the USN, and I agree with you: graduation is impressive and emotional. Those graduating are our sons and daughters who are committing themselves and their immediate future to our great country.

And, to all those I missed, I hope things are going well.

Update here: we are still down-sizing from our last S&B to this smaller one. We have had 3 days of yards sales so far. I find it interesting how many folks spend Friday and Saturday mornings looking for signs and making the rounds. We have about 7 signs that we place on our road at the intersections. We are over 3 miles from the main road in the county, on a very straight road. The signs are at the entrances to various sub-divisions and the shopping plaza near the main road. It seems to work well.

I am still sorting stuff and unpacking things in the new building. Because the timing of the move(s), things got a bit hectic. (I covered that weeks ago, so I will not repeat it again.) I am down-sizing my equipment as well. Things that I have not used in years are being eliminated. (I am keeping full-timing in the back of my mind as a future option while I do this. It helps me focus on a long-term goal as well as what needs to be done now.)

I am slowly adding insulation to the building. I have a single 12,000 BTU window unit that I mounted in the back wall. It cools the building overnight, but the sun heats everything up the next day. I am adding radiant insulation (Reflectix). Where it is installed, the heat is not entering the building from the hot metal siding. Of course, I need to complete the job; it is a work in progress. One of the big benefits of the A/C running, even though it cannot keep the temperatures down yet, is that the humidity is low. The outside Relative Humidity (RH) is 80-90%. Inside the building the RH is about 42% according to my inexpensive hygrometer. That keeps things from getting moldy and tools from rusting.

Well, time for some rest and will be back at it again tomorrow.

Everyone, have a great day tomorrow, and enjoy!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:50 AM   #5372

Good Morning Gang,
Lynne,
It gets into the 80's some days during the winter, but the sun is at a different angle from the summer. I don't think it will be a problem, I think that they are planning on planting smaller trees when the lots are all set up. It really isn't a problem, it will just give the park different feel.
Charles,
We are doing good with the heat, we just quit a little earlier than we normally would, then go into the air conditioning.
Have a great day all,
Frank
Old 07-20-2016, 06:00 PM   #5373

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Evening,

No coffee this AM, I woke up late which I almost never do. Course I normally don't w--k Wednesdays and I did today so I think my clock was out of whack.

I got a E-mail back from Curtis. Asked him how he was doing and he said fine and to say "Hi" to all, so "Hi All" from Curtis. He has been very busy. He said during the time he was trying to finish a big project and not being on the forums he visited he realized how much time he spent on them. He said he may be back but he is doing so much right now he really needs to concentrate on that. I did forward him the "Meet & Greet" info in case he wants to come. He is actually building a pop-up camper.

So, Jerry was doing some finish up things you do when you do a project like with the new TV install and dropped the TV. He is very mad because of course it broke. I told him not to sweat it, it's just a TV and as long as he wasn't hurt we can buy another TV. You know how ticked you would be though if it happened to you. I felt sorry for him. The funny thing was that when he ordered another to replace that one, it was now $30 off. Good thing.

Hoping to go camping this weekend. Depends on how much I can get done on Friday so I can go. You all have a great night, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:08 PM   #5374

Gulf Streamers Club
Hello all. Hope all are well and doing good. Sad news to report here. When I got home last Sunday at noon I found my wife Rebecca had passed away, apparently from a heart attack or something quick. We had been married 39 years. So our son and his wife have been helping me with the clean up and sort out of house and my sister was here today also. I am doing OK and will get thru all of this but it was of course such a shock. It still does not seem real to me. So my long term plans are all up in the air as of this time. But I know it will work out OK. Just different. Everyone take care. And as has been said here many times, make sure you count every day as special because you do not know when you will be called to your next great adventure.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:22 PM   #5375

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ron SO SO sorry to hear about the loss of you wife. So sad. I wish there was something I could do. I'll say a prayer for the both of you tonight,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:30 PM   #5376

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ron, So sorry for your loss, losing a family member is very hard. Prayers for you and your family!
Rail!