Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2016, 07:33 AM   #5503

Goooodmorning all y’all!!!

Dang! I just got hammered by Captcha and was presented with Captcha’s dreaded white screen. I wish to hell that iRV2 would get rid of that PITA function and get one that works!

I’m viewing a beautiful sunrise and I just finished my morning coffee, it was very nice. I received an email this morning from Elspeth Beard, she’s a personal hero of mine and is publishing a book about her 48,000 mile around the world solo motorcycle trip she did back in the early 1980’s. She’s promised me a signed copy of her book when it comes out next year.

H-12Mike if you’re a fellow coffee snob you might try what I did for about a year. Visit a few thrift stores until you find a Poppery II hot air popcorn popper ($5) or search eBay ($20). Order some green coffee beans from Sweet Maria’s https://www.sweetmarias.com/ and roast your own coffee beans. It takes about 5 minutes to have your own freshly roasted beans. The only caveat is that you need to roast the beans outside and the outside ambient temperatures will definitely affect roast times. Sweet Maria’s website tells more about the process.

So, all y’all have been having some brutal weather out there. One thing nice about bad weather is that it makes you really appreciate good weather and not just take it for granted.

I think I may visit White Sands National Monument today, I’m not sure yet because when I perused a NM road map yesterday it looked as if a 600 mile multi-day road trip is in order, and that’s just to explore southwest New Mexico. It might be better to include White Sands in the road trip. One thing about traveling on a very limited budget is that you become more efficient regarding time and money. Tomorrow I’m attending a gun show in Roswell, who knows maybe I can find another quirky old relic like the 150 year old double barrel muzzle loader I purchased at the last gun show I attended. Even if I don’t find anything, gun shows are great for people watching, first you get all the old vets all decked out in their military gear, then all the camo-clad young vet wannabe’s, usually there’re at least a few obvious SHTF preppers, there’s all sorts of fun to watch people. My sons father-in-law lives in Roswell so I may give him a call today and see if he wants to get together tomorrow.

Aside from some scary weather it sounds as if all y’all are doing well and everyone’s enjoying their summer, I know I am. Life is good.

Steve

PS Lloyd, be careful drinking too much tea. You don’t want to end up like the Indian who drank too much tea one evening. The next day he was found dead in his teepee!

Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 08:10 AM   #5504

Winnebago Owners Club
Morning everyone, welcome burghgrl;
Going to be a lovely day. No rain last night but so far this week we have 1 3/8 in the rain gauge. Garden is going great. Time to weed it again.

Cut down three trees yesterday. Lots of branches to the burning pile. Lots of wood to the wood pile. Made two chopping blocks. One is about 200 lbs. First day for Grand Daughter Jaiden to drive the tractor by herself. I can see I am going to have to fight her for seat time! Although I have to say she did share a couple times.

We always grind beans for our coffee beans. For Janet and I the beans at Costco are about the best. One exception to grinding is when we are on extended motorcycle trips. We grind beans and fill a container before we leave but have been known to buy coffee grounds when we run out of the home ground coffee. It is a matter of survival.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #5505

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Well Gang,
No trip this week, they told us today that we have to move due to the construction. And nothing is set up yet for where we have to move. So we decided to leave next week instead, that way I don't have to rush to get everything picked up to move. They will have electric set up for us by then (I hope) if not they said that they would pay the bill for us to go to the campground up the road for a month. We will see what happens monday or tuesday.
Sorry Lloyd, I called you and left you a message. If you have plans for next Saturday evening, we will just catch you another time. Rita's son just called also and he has a gas leak in the house and the gas company turned off the gas, so no hot water. Everything fell apart today all at once, so it just works better all around to postpone for a week.
Hope everyone's day goes a lot better than mine,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:09 PM   #5506
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Good afternoon.

Heard the local news on the radio this morning while running errands. Yesterday's weather a few miles from us was an EF-1 tornado. Bunches of trees down, damaged houses, the flipped tractor trailer, etc. However, no injuries reported. Amazingly good news. I really don't want the hurricane tie-down system on the new building tested. Wait! It was a tornado. Yikes.

Weather forecast for the next week or so is scattered T-storms, PM T-storms, T-storms, etc. Ahhh... August weather in NE Florida.

Most of the activity is in the afternoon or early evening. So, outside work, etc. needs to get done in the morning when it is cooler. (75-85)

Well, back to work.

Be careful out there and enjoy your day!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #5507

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Evening,

burghgrl, welcome to the group. I hear you about retiring because I go out in about 15 months or so. Can't WAIT!

Frank, not too worried about snakes as long as they stay outside. Steve, that is one of the things I think about with retiring, will the money be enough if something happens to one of us. I guess you figure it out and make it work.

Think the last two days of working outside in the heat has effected me a bit. Tired and hurt all over today. W--k was not fun. Maybe it's because I am not as young as I once was.

Hope all are staying safe and doing well, prayers to those in need, and remember to smile and hug someone you love. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:05 PM   #5508

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Frank, not too worried about snakes as long as they stay outside. Steve, that is one of the things I think about with retiring, will the money be enough if something happens to one of us. I guess you figure it out and make it work.
Yep, no matter how much you've saved if the wrong set of circumstances happen it can all be gone very quickly. However, when it happened to me I thought back to my college days. To say I was a starving college student is an understatement and yet looking back that was one of the best most fun times of my life. Having a positive attitude can get you through a lot of life's drama. It works for me anyhow.

Steve
Old 08-05-2016, 07:31 PM   #5509

Getting old

Several years ago we met a young couple with a pop up. No kids. They would work for 5to6yrs then quit their jobs and travel. Repeat cycle. Their is merit in doing hiking ect. while you are at the peak of good health. DH saw his dermatologist for his yearly basil cell cancer check up. All is well just a little bump that he hit with nitrogen. Sees the MD in another year.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:23 AM   #5510

It's Saturday! Ha na Ninnie & a hot cha-cha!

Did I wake everyone up round here with that header?! Good morning everyone! Still trying to figure out where to put things in this forum...alla that, so if I've misplaced a thing or two, oh well... it'll haveta do I guess. This is sure a friendly forum!! Thanks so much for the warm welcome's...i'm gonna hang round with you guys quite a bit! Looks to be a real mix here...those retired, those looking to retire (US!) and those who have a lil ways to go yet...but dreaming!!of it. COFFEE!!! WOW..that grinder looks pretty slick!Awesome starting the day with a wonderful brew! What's everyone doing today?Those gorgeous pictures!! I live in ORLANDO...& do NOT ~love~ or even like it. What am I doing here?! Oh well...I've put in 11 years, (married the love of my life who happened to live here is how I got here!) but we're both from Pittsburgh, Pa. I'm dreaming...of returning somewhere, near there in retirement. Latrobe,Pa. maybe. I know, I know...WHO "retires...NORTH". WE DO!!! Don't~ run with the crowd, we believe! Our lil Snoozy is going to get some miles on her one day.Until then,we'll keep dreaming and fixing...getting through it! So many wonderful stories here! You all are just great..Enjoy the weekend everyone!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Morning all!

75* here, we got some rain last night. Not a ton, but everything is wet. Needed it pretty bad.

I'm a tea drinker,,,, never could do coffee. I do like the smell of it,,,, but not the taste. I have a large cup of tea every morning.

CWK, glad the weather missed you. Some of that has gone on around here, a few towns away they got 7" of rain in a day, nothing here that day.

Frank, didn't realize you were so far in the country,,,, that all sounds nice EXCEPT FOR THE SNAKES

See you Saturday night Frank!

I am making steady progress on the preparations for our trip west. I have my big enclosed trailer in the shop, repainted the trim around the rear ramp door. Deb helped me re setup the torsion door. That was a job!!! Those springs are killer.

Yesterday afternoon I repainted the hitch. This morning need to reassemble all of that.

Still have to do wheel bearings and check the brakes. The tires are 3 years old, trying to decide if I should replace before we go. Afraid of the heat.

L.
burghgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:50 AM   #5511

Beware the logging truck!

Goooodmorning all y’all!!!

As usual my morning coffee is delicious. Yesterday evening I looked out across a nearby field and spotted a small herd of elk. I’m liking this place more and more the longer I stay. Yesterday I finally unloaded my motorcycle from the inside of my Caravan. The best part is I did it myself. Usually it’s a two person job, since you need someone to steady it after you remove the front inside tie-downs, but I figured a way to hold it steady while I went to the rear to roll it out. Oh boy, queasy rider time!

I got a very disturbing call from a good friend yesterday. He’s from Washington State and about eight days ago he was hit by a logging truck that ran a stop sign while he was crossing the street. Fortunately, the truck wasn’t going all that fast and he was able to push off just as it hit him so he was thrown off to the side but he still suffered severe injuries to his lower leg and a head trauma from hitting it on the sidewalk. He was air-lifted by helicopter to a Seattle hospital. He said he’s finally doing a lot better and is able to get around some with the aid of a walker. However, he has no sense of taste or smell anymore. I suggested to him that it may return as his body repairs itself, but after researching it on the internet I’m not so sure. Otherwise he sounded pretty good over the phone. My friend’s an avid outdoorsman (backpacker, hiker, hunter, fisherman) in his mid-50’s and very fit so I imagine his overall recovery will be a lot quicker than your average middle aged couch potato. However, I am concerned about his sense of taste/smell problem.

So that’s it for now. Soon I’ll be off to Roswell and the weekend gun show that’s going on there. Yesterday I tried reaching my sons father-in-law who lives in Roswell but was unsuccessful. I met Frank at my son’s 2010 wedding and enjoyed talking to him. Hopefully, we’ll be able to get together for lunch or something later on this month.

Steve
Old 08-06-2016, 06:51 AM   #5512

Good morning all!

Burghgrl welcome! Your handle now makes sense! Yes, great group here, all with similar interests. Many, many years of RV and practical knowledge. Retiring to Pittsburg? Will you be there for the winter? Or winter somewhere south? Debbie and I just retired in the last 6 weeks, still feels like a long vacation.

Hey Frank, Debbie and I are clear next weekend, whenever you pass by works for us at the moment. Hope they get you site squared away and you and Rita into a nice spot.

Circuit board came for the water heater, install it today and we should be good to go. Then back to work on the trailer prep.

We plan to head west on the 18th.

L.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:02 AM   #5513

Hey burghgurl, I'm with you about retiring up north. If it weren't for the short dreary winter days and the seasonal affected disorder that it gives me I wouldn't have any problem at all retiring up north or even Alaska for that matter. I've been wintering in southeastern Arizona for the winter sunshine and quail hunting. Plus its a beautiful area.

Steve
Old 08-06-2016, 07:28 AM   #5514

I keep forgetting to mention.......

I love the Olympics! Deb and I watched the opening ceremony last night,,,,, till after 11 pm and we couldn't make it any further. This morning the cycling is on, and we saw the womens single rowing.

L.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #5515

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Afternoon Gang,
Went to breakfast with friends this morning, so had coffee at the restaurant.
Burghgrl,
I grew up just outside of Warren, a little NW of Youngstown. A lot of snowbirds come south, or west for the winters then back north for the summers. We are staying over in Brooksville, Fl so not too far from you. This is our first summer staying down here and it is not as bad as everyone made it out to be, maybe just my blood has thinned out enough to enjoy the heat, lol.
Lloyd,
Good talking with you yesterday, I think we are just going to park in the yard up by the welcome center and they are going to run electric out to us and have a Honey wagon come in to pump us out, so that will be ok, as long as we have at least 30 amp electric, we will be just fine, but I am thinking they will try to get us 50 amp. Had a long talk with the park manager after this all came about yesterday and since he is in the same boat as we are, I am pretty sure that we have a workable plan, they are going home for Dr.s appointments sometime in September after we get back.
Have a great day all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:37 PM   #5516

Good evening!

Glad it is working out Frank.

The circuit board fixed the water heater as I suspected. I went with one from Dinosaur Electronics which of course is not OEM. It looks great, high quality with a better mount, a cover etc... Better then the original Atttwood. It now lights immediately soon as the swith goes on.

Interesting to me, this same board can be used in either brand of water heaters, or in the gas furnaces. You simply program it for the usage by moving around some jumpers that are provided.

L.