Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:23 PM   #5699

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
True, aluminum not fiberglass but it is the same side as pikers, at least in the 3rd picture.

While at Sam's this afternoon I saw a huge can of chunk Pineapple ( OP said they felt chunk being better than crushed ) but I couldn't remember if it needed sweet syrup or plain. I'll have too get the recipe copied down next time I go to the store.
As far as with our oven I think I will use a 10" pie plate. we have width but not a lot of height.
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2016, 07:36 AM   #5700

Pie makers....
You're gonna have to be patient on this , she has the recipe in her mind and on a card,,,,,someplace. I'm looking for the card and not sure if she remembers the whole thing.

I do know this much......it uses a 10" deep pan... 2 crusts (she just uses store bought now , all the kneading is hard on the arthritis!),,,2 of the big 20 oz cans of crushed pineapple with the juice , 2 eggs (you should have seen the face when she saw the recipe with corn starch and lemon juice !) there was sugar and not sure of the rest......
The cook time started off at 425 for a few minutes and finished with 375 or 350 (not sure exactly)

This was my grandmother's recipe and is well over 100 years old.

Like I said yesterday , pie IV on the page Gordon found sounds closest to me , I WILL find it !!! eventually.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:12 AM   #5701

Morning all!

Hey Rosie, where in S.C. are you? We are in York.

Wow, I keep comng to this thread and reading about Pie's,,,,, yesterday resulted in me buying apple turnovers at the store across the street from the campground before we went wheelin! Maybe should have a separate pie building thread? We could call it "Total Pie Build" LOL

Tim, I also still like that coach and trailer. We came out here with a similar setup and it is working very well. A little bit of a challenge finding campsites due to the length, but if you plan ahead not much of a problem. Ours overall is 65'.

Yesterday we did Engineer's Pass, and Cinnamon Pass. Both over 12,000 feet. Both required 4wd.... and really small 4wd's as they were tight in some places with big drop off's. Here is a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160824_124411.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	137073   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160824_124605.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	137074  

Name:	20160824_153729.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	469.9 KB
ID:	137075   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160824_155729.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	344.0 KB
ID:	137076  

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:04 AM   #5702

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpopeye View Post
Pie makers....
You're gonna have to be patient on this , she has the recipe in her mind and on a card,,,,,someplace. I'm looking for the card and not sure if she remembers the whole thing.

I do know this much......it uses a 10" deep pan... 2 crusts (she just uses store bought now , all the kneading is hard on the arthritis!),,,2 of the big 20 oz cans of crushed pineapple with the juice , 2 eggs (you should have seen the face when she saw the recipe with corn starch and lemon juice !) there was sugar and not sure of the rest......
The cook time started off at 425 for a few minutes and finished with 375 or 350 (not sure exactly)

This was my grandmother's recipe and is well over 100 years old.

Like I said yesterday , pie IV on the page Gordon found sounds closest to me , I WILL find it !!! eventually.
Hi Popeye;
I did not look at the recipe(s) before posting. Just threw it up in case there was some budding pie makers who wanted to practice in the short term. I can well imagine Mom's disgust at using corn starch for thickening. Eggs would be very much better. Probably developed to try to save a few pennies. The jury is out on the lemon juice. I think there is enough acidity in the pineapple without adding lemon juice. I think we will have to do some serious testing.

Janet has gone to a convention so I am without adult supervision for a few days. May have to try making a pie but I think I will be doomed to disappointment. Janet makes the best pie crust so has spoiled me for the commercial kind.

Three days of rain here and cloudy today with more predicted. Am going to be trying to get out and do some stuff on the coach. Finished cutting down the trees but too wet to do the cleanup that is left. Going to be planting cedars to replace the laurel leaf willow we took out.

Tim - I am sure there will be more at the Lemon Lot for you to consider. If you do not find a replacement for the PA before you come down I am looking forward to seeing the repair you are undertaking. It is looking great in the pictures you posted and it is plain you are becoming comfortable/skilled with doing the repairs.

Everyone have a grand day.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:19 PM   #5703

Here's the rest of it.
beat the eggs and mix all together
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 TBSP flour
That's it.
425-20m
350-40m

cool before serving
Old 08-25-2016, 01:35 PM   #5704

Winnebago Owners Club
With or without ice cream - yumm!
Old 08-25-2016, 06:43 PM   #5705

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Always Ice Cream on pie ! Always!

Popeye, your Mom and Grandmother are amazing! I got to try this thing.

Night all, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:49 PM   #5706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
The Church Dinner

A group of friends from the Church wanted to get together on a regular basis, socialize, and play games. The lady of the house was to prepare the meal.

When it came time for Al and Janet to be the hosts, Janet wanted to outdo all the others. She decided to have mushroom-smothered steak. But mushrooms are expensive. She then told her husband, "No mushrooms. They are too high."

He said, "Why don't you go down in the pasture and pick some of those mushrooms? There are plenty in the creek bed."

She said, "No, some wild mushrooms are poison."

He said, "Well, I see varmints eating them and they're OK." So Janet decided to give it a try. She picked a bunch, washed, sliced, and diced them for her smothered steak.

Then she went out on the back porch and gave Ol' Blue (the yard dog) a double handful. Ol' Blue ate every bite. All morning long, Janet watched Ol' Blue and the wild mushrooms didn't seem to affect him, so she decided to use them.

The meal was a great success, and Janet even hired a helper lady from town to help her serve. After everyone had finished, they relaxed, socialized, and played '42' and dominoes. About then, the helper lady came in and whispered in Janet's ear.

She said, "Mrs. Williams, Ol' Blue is dead."

Janet went into hysterics. After she finally calmed down, she called the doctor and told him what had happened.

The doctor said, "That's bad, but I think we can take care of it. I will call for an ambulance and I will be there as quickly as possible. We'll give everyone enemas and we will pump out everyone's stomach. Everything will be fine. Just keep them calm."

Soon they could hear the siren as the ambulance was coming down the road. The EMTs and the doctor had their suitcases, syringes, and a stomach pump. One by one, they took each person into the bathroom, gave them an enema, and pumped out their stomach.

After the last one was finished, the doctor came out and said, "I think everything will be fine now," and he left. They were all looking pretty weak sitting around the living room and about this time the helper came over and whispered to Janet,

"You know, that fellow that run over Ol' Blue never even stopped."

Oh my gosh. That's funny.
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:02 PM   #5707

Another detail for the pie.
The pineapple she uses is in 100% pineapple juice , not in syrup.

Lynne
I'm sure you'll create a perfect specimen.
I never eat it with ice cream , takes away the pineapple goodness.............

Gordon
I think you should try too,,,,,,seeing as you're unsupervised ....

Lloyd
You couldn't find anywhere harder to get to?
We always gauged a trip by if it took 3 or more other 4x4s to get us unstuck or if we managed to flip at least once ! Ahhhh the 70s............
Old 08-25-2016, 09:30 PM   #5708

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Evening,
Gordon Lemon Lot, something we are unaware of?

popeye, sounds great thanks for sharing and thank Mumsie for sharing.
Ice Cream, whip cream and with Apple Pie both Vanilla Ice Cream and a nice slice of Sharpe Cheddar cheese.
Installed the .83 cent facute and no leaks work great and it is so quite. The best thing is the faucet extends pretty neat and only .83 cents
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160825_193343.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	137154   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160825_193356.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	137155  

Name:	20160825_201514.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	137156   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160825_201526.jpg
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	137157  

Name:	20160825_212132.jpg
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	137159  
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:41 PM   #5709

Winnebago Owners Club
Tim - that is what the resale lots are referred to in Yuma. They just say "going to see what's at the lemon lot". Tap looks great.

Popeye: It would be a good idea but what would I do with two pies?
Old 08-26-2016, 04:42 AM   #5710

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Coffee is extra special this morning, from a old time percolator pot at Dad's. Even am on my second cup. Got here a little after 4 central time, went out to dinner at a nice Chinese Buffet. Then I crashed, I didn't sleep but an hour or 2 Wednesday night, Well rested this morning.
Lloyd,
Nice pics, looks like you guys are having a blast. This trip will help you transition into retirement mode. You will be every bit as busy as before, maybe even more so. The biggest change is that you don't usually have to rush to get done, you can relax and get the projects done at your leisure.
Tim,
Nice job, I have a facet like that in my 5er, you will like it.
Popeye,
Thanks for the recipe, if Lynne makes it, it will be delicious.

Well, today is running around changing the car over to my name, getting new title, plates, insurance etc, then card playing this afternoon at the senior center. I think that we might stay until Sunday morning instead of leaving tomorrow. They posted pictures on their facebook page of the park, they have the lift station installed for the sanitary sewers and are connecting the sewer and water lines between the new and old sections. They are moving right along, can't wait for them to start pouring concrete.
That is all for now, later gang,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:28 AM   #5711
bap

gooodmorning my friends,,
sitten here watching the fog lift as the sun burns threw it,,,getting ready to do our weekly trip to Louisville,,,,its really a nice 5hr round trip with good eat in between,,

LOYD I have always loved the jeep wheeling trips and love the shot out the front window,,
4x4ever my friend,,

gots to run for now,,

GOD BLESS!!

Jeff..
Old 08-26-2016, 08:57 AM   #5712

Morning all! 52* here in Durango.

Frank, I'm working hard on this transistion. I think I am up to the task! LOL Glad you are safe and sound in Tenn..

Popeye, my earlist memories of 4 wheelin were the same. Now in the days of your basic 4x4 costing $30k, it seems to have calmed every one down. I am very impressed with the technology improvements as well. Fuel injection,,,, runs great on any angle, hill, or altitude, electronic sway bar,,, push a button and disconnect and now the front axle can flex amazingly,,,,, and electronic differential lockers,,,,, and a transmission with push button decent mode, holds you back down thebig hills. Not sure I have to use any skills! LOL

It is still fun, and amazing scenery!!!!

Headed to Ophir pass today, then decending down black bear (which is rated difficult) into Teluride,,, then up over Imogene into Ouray. Should be a all day ride.

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote