Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:39 PM   #5825

Health insurance increases

Just received insurance prices increases on my RX plan for next year. Obama Care..increase of 48%..Sure wish my social security disability check would keep up with this inflation!! Be prepared for sticker shock with Health insurance premiums.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2016, 06:10 AM   #5826

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Coffee is good this morning, weather is great, upper 60's this morning, going to 90 with low humidity and little chance of rain. They got a lot of work done yesterday on the park, and will probably get even more done today, they are taking advantage of the dryer weather, they worked till 7:30 last night.
Have a great day all,
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:08 AM   #5827

Goooodmorning all y’all!

The monsoons are back with a vengeance. The Smart Car engine I’m installing arrived in the rain yesterday. A year and a half ago in San Marcos, when I replaced the 460 V8 in my Class A, it rained nearly every day severely hampering my installation efforts and probably adding several weeks of misery to an already miserable job. I hope it’s not deja vu all over again regarding this Smart Car project I’m doing.

Speaking of cars, I got lucky yesterday. I drove my Caravan into Ruidoso for grocery’s yesterday evening and when I came out it started but barely ran above an idle. The engine was running so rough that people actually wandered over to see what the commotion was. Here it was drizzling rain, 7:30pm getting darker by the minute, and I was 20 country miles from home. I listened to the engine and determined that something in the cars onboard computer (Engine Control Unit or ECU) was amiss. The unit is easy to access so I pulled it out and after inspecting the 30 or more plug connections I reinstalled it, but still no joy was to be had. My next step was to reboot the onboard computer. Since there’s no reboot button I rebooted by disconnecting the car battery and then I waited 10 minutes for any system capacitors to discharge before reconnecting it. Bingo! The engine fired right up and the car ran great! Isn’t modern technology fun? What’s ironic is that one reason I wasn’t even considered for employment after I was laid off in 2009 is because everyone in corporate America knows that us over 60 olde pharts don’t understand modern technology. I have two words for corporate America the first being a verb the second a pronoun...

Hopefully it’ll stop raining later and I can get to work installing the Smart Car engine. I hope all y’all are having smooth roads and easy travels.

Steve
Old 09-07-2016, 10:56 AM   #5828

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Steve what a drag. Its been raining here also 2 inches as of yesterday.Could it maybe have a cracked distributor cap? I remember a few of my Ford's had that problem many years ago. Not even sure it has one. That's what I know about new cars.
I took the 64 to the neighbor hood repair shop for some carb work and was told there guys know nothing about carburetor's.
Glad you got it running.
How's the Smart car going?
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #5829
cwk

Good afternoon, all!

Sunny as usual. Actually dropped to the high 60's overnight. But, will be back in the high 80's this afternoon. It is already 86F.

Tim, I used to work on cars many, many years ago. I stopped about the time electronic ignition systems were replacing distributors with points and a condenser. Never did work on fuel-injection systems. I could tune-up an old VW engine by hand, eye, and ear to set points and timing. Used to check my work with a timing light (just to be sure the timing light was working).

Steve, Would those two words be: Bless You! ??? I work for myself now (actually my customers) and don't even want to think about applying for work somewhere else. I am afraid it just will not happen. Well, maybe a cashier at one of the fast-food places during the day??? I have seen some that hire more mature employees.

Sam, Ouch on the increase.

Ron, Sounds like you had a great trip. Glad you got to enjoy it. What color did you paint the shower? (If you mentioned it before, I must have missed it.)

Hope everyone is able to have a great day. Enjoy!!!

PS: Captcha almost got me. I have learned to Ctl-A, Ctl-C to copy everything into memory just in case!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:59 PM   #5830

Charles, I had my own environmental consulting business for over 15 years and it was nice being my own boss. I only gave up the business and went to work for Halliburton so that my late wife and I could move down to Houston TX and she could be treated at MD Anderson Cancer Center. Since 2012 I've been writing technical articles for an energy industry publication but that work's dried up with the drop in oil prices. This coming winter I may look for a temporary retail job so that I can buy a large solar system for my RV and do more boondocking. Or maybe take one of those prestigious Walmart greeter positions.

Why bless you! Ha Ha! I've heard that joke! LOL

Steve
Old 09-07-2016, 01:39 PM   #5831

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Guess not,
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:43 PM   #5832
cwk

Steve, I recently read an article about security at wally-world. Local police in some towns are spending an inordinate amount of time/resources at the stores. The reason, according to the author, is that the stores cut back on security measures in deference to short-term profits. One of the measures was the ubiquitous greeter. Since reading the article I have noticed that some of our stores are lacking in greeters. Hopefully the security issues will not extend to overnight RV stays in the parking lots. But, then again, if it feels wrong simply start the engine and leave.

Have you heard about the Amazon warehouse jobs for the holiday season? Apparently some of them include free RV sites as part of the package. It might be a better deal than campground maintenance workamping since it provides pay in addition to a free site. But, the hours are not part-time. It might be great for a season to earn the extra cash and have free rent.

Disclaimer: I have only read about the Amazon jobs. I do not know anyone personally who has done it.

BTW, a large solar system for boondocking sounds good to my ears.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:00 PM   #5833

Sorry Tim, the little four banger in my Caravan doesn't even have a distributer, just separate coils for each cylinder. This was a plain and simple computer glitch, just like what happens occasionally in you desktop or laptop computer. Rebooting clears out the corrupted files and replaces them with fresh uncorrupted files and you're back in business. Bada bing, bada boom!

Steve

PS I only wrote about this so if someone else out there has a similar problem they'd know a possible simple fix. BTW I had a similar problem with the power mirrors, windows, and sunroof in a C230 Mercedes that Gail used to drive. About every six months I'd have to spend 15 minutes rebooting the computer that controlled those items (either that or spend a lot of $$$ replacing the computer).
Old 09-07-2016, 02:19 PM   #5834
cwk

Steve,
What year is your Caravan? I have a 1998 Chrysler Town & Country minivan (now out of service and sitting in the back yard). The engine is fine (325K miles on the original engine). The transmission is fine (rebuilt replacement). Etc., etc. The problem is that the instrument panel lights, gauges, etc. come on and off at will. It has been setting for a while, so the battery died. I am now charging it up and should try disconnecting the battery, waiting 10+ minutes (or longer?), then reconnecting. Maybe this will work like it did for you???

There was a problem with cold-solder connections on the back of the instrument panel circuit board. I fixed those myself a few years ago and it ran fine for another year or two. When it started to act up again, I decided to replace the panel with another used one. But, no luck. I did not try the battery disconnect idea. Maybe this might work?

I need to sell this car as we have replaced it with a 2010 T&C. If it is running ok I should get a few more dollars for it. The service guy at the local Chrysler dealer suggested selling it on craigslist as my best bet.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #5835

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Steve,
What year is your Caravan? I have a 1998 Chrysler Town & Country minivan (now out of service and sitting in the back yard). The engine is fine (325K miles on the original engine). The transmission is fine (rebuilt replacement). Etc., etc. The problem is that the instrument panel lights, gauges, etc. come on and off at will. It has been setting for a while, so the battery died. I am now charging it up and should try disconnecting the battery, waiting 10+ minutes (or longer?), then reconnecting. Maybe this will work like it did for you???

There was a problem with cold-solder connections on the back of the instrument panel circuit board. I fixed those myself a few years ago and it ran fine for another year or two. When it started to act up again, I decided to replace the panel with another used one. But, no luck. I did not try the battery disconnect idea. Maybe this might work?
Charles, my 2005 Caravan was acting weird a year ago. All the gauges would go berserk on start up and then settle down to normal. It turned out I had a bad battery that wasn’t putting out adequate voltage to power the instruments, but it would start the engine. The minute it started the alternator supplied the proper voltage to the system and everything reverted to normal. I believe the normal functioning “12 volt battery” actually puts out just over 13 volts, my old battery was putting out just under 12 volts. Could it be something as simple as that? As far as the battery disconnect, it’s easy and it certainly won’t hurt anything to try. The 10 minute delay is to allow any system capacitors to discharge.

BTW I had a 1998 Caravan 3.0L V6 that I really liked, but finally sold it at 286K because it needed a new transmission and major AC overhaul. The engine ran great and still got about 3K to a quart of oil. The best part was I’d bought it several years earlier with 150K on it for only $2,500 and was able to sell it after 136K miles for $700.

Steve
Old 09-08-2016, 08:39 AM   #5836

Goooodmorning all yíall!!!

I awoke to a cloudy overcast morning. Thankfully, theyíre not predicting rain. I checked about the Smart car engine, it turned out it hadnít arrived yet. Hopefully, the engine will arrive today since itís supposed to be partly cloudy, cool with no rain both today and tomorrow. Itís perfect weather for outdoor auto repair.

Iím finishing my second cup of coffee, it sure is good. I use a 1970ís vintage Mr. Coffee. What makes it special is that the water heater for the brewer is on top, built into the water tank. Such a setup helps assure that the hot water going through the grounds is at the proper extraction temperature. It has a separate heater at the base that keeps the pot warm. I usually turn off the second heater and reheat my brewed coffee in the microwave. Itís tough being a coffee snob but the results are delicious!

A friend introduced me to the old car show circuit last year around Niagara Falls NY. I love the old car styling but not the constant maintenance needed to keep those old beasts running. Not to mention that most vintage American cars were built during a time period when the Detroit auto manufacturers had the American public conned into believing that cars only lasting 100,000 miles was normal and natural. We should all thank the Japanese manufacturers for destroying that insidious myth! As a result, if I could afford it, my old-age crazy car would be a Cobra mid-1960ís replica, with the classic AC Cobra styling teamed up with modern propulsion and suspension (and perhaps a nitrous system, go baby go!).

Hereís a photo of my dream car that I found on the internet. I want it!

Steve
Old 09-08-2016, 10:31 AM   #5837

Gulf Streamers Club
Steve, can you tow that 4 down?

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #5838

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Steve, can you tow that 4 down?

ronspradley
Seeing as how I'd probably get one with a manual transmission it'd probably tow 4 down. Sure, why not!

Steve