Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2015, 01:29 PM   #575

Class A you need more clearance then a class C. I would be looking at 13ft for the center height for the cover.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #576

Minimum height I found on a Winnebago Brave was 11'2". If a satellite dome going to be higher. If a CB antenna possibly higher then that depending on the antenna.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:25 PM   #577

Winnebago Owners Club
If you figure on 12 1/2 feet for the top of the AC you should be fairly safe. I would go with a 14' clearance.

Much as we like to say we can pick and stick that goes for the spouse in most cases. MH is another story! For a few dollars more you are not limiting yourself in future purchases.

Neighbour built a shed. His is 36 X 36 because his MH was 32. Their new MH is now sitting outside.

Funny how our best laid plans can be changed. Especially when there is a deal to be had.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #578

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Harley Davison

See, still a lot to learn. I appreciate all suggestions and info you are willing to give.

I saw this today on FB and thought the people here would appreciate it. Great thing for this Harley Davison dealership to do for this soldier and his family.

Lynne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	harley military.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	85791  
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:10 PM   #579

Lynne, critical that your parking spot is level, especially if the MH you end up with doesn't have leveling jacks. If you use the MH as a guest house you want the frig to work.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:35 PM   #580

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingHawk View Post
Minimum height I found on a Winnebago Brave was 11'2". If a satellite dome going to be higher. If a CB antenna possibly higher then that depending on the antenna.
Sorry you had to pass on your dream find beamisl. Just remember, they build more than one of the same Model, so write down the features of the one you found so you can get one like it when you are ready to throw in the towel at the Sweat Shop. Take lots of pictures now. They get cheaper with age!

If you guys don't mind, I'll pass along some Lessons I learned at the "School of Hard Knocks".

For reference, my Fleetwood Limited fits nicely through the 12' X 12' door in my shop. Clears the AC units by about a half a foot. It's a Big Girl!
I've only had to turn around once in 15 years by a low bridge with mine.
(That was a big pain) Back woods ARKANSAS IIRC

My satellite dish is lower than the AC up there. I worry more about ripping it off on branches parking it.

We poured a 75' (14' wide X 7" thick) parking driveway, at our Cities insistence, down the side of the house and into the back yard for $4G's. Factor in inflation and you'll be looking at double that now if you contract it out.
(concrete was cheap back then compared to now!)

I wired my pad with a 30 amp RV hookup and never had a problem with it. The Coach wouldn't run both AC units on 30 amp service because it was wired that way from the Factory. Before I rewired it, I could run either AC unit but not both at the same time. If the generator is running it will run both ac units at the same time. I rewired it to a 50 amp adapter.

If you are going to store it at home, I suggest you do a feasibility study and try and put in a dump station while you're at it. All I had to do was add a "T" and about 20 feet of 4 inch sewer pipe to our house sewer line that ran to the street. Basically I added another clean out tap.
So nice to come in a be able to dump when you get home! Plus it makes a nice Guest House when Company comes in for the Holidays.

We let "out of town" EMT Students use mine for their 6 week field training course a few times a year. Gave them and us privacy and still be able to help out the Local EMS School Students who were going to EMT School on a tight budget.

CB Antennas etc. should have a spring in the mast or they will get torn off parking them in some of the Camping spots you'll find in the National Parks.

Mine are mounted on the side of the Coach or on the rear ladder below the roof line.

Although I'm not new to this Forum, I have not spent a lot of time getting to know the Forum or it's Members. I apologize for that! Got some good folks here.

Melissa and I retired a few years back and for some reason now that we don't have to go to jobs anymore, we don't travel in our Coach near as much as we did when we were cramming in mileage and Adventures with it on Vacation Schedules. Go Figure!!!

Old 02-11-2015, 11:11 PM   #581

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Lynne, what everyone said, X2, I would like to add something to think about!
You said, that possibly you will be selling you S&B and going full time some where or time in the future? With that in mind, when you build your pad or parking spot, think about the resale of your S&B. IMHO, you should build it big and high enough to fit a big DP, or a semi tractor in it! It will increase the value and the sales appeal of your property! It does not have to be enclosed, but you can put sides and a back on the carports very easy! As far as it being concrete, rock is just as good! And a lot cheaper! I would also put it as close to your driveway as possible, so next to your garage would be perfect! Also, if your garage is deep enough, you could put a lean-to off of the roof and get by even cheaper. Just throwing some idea's out there!
I put lean-to's off of both side's of my garage and made a nice spot for my MH, and my semi tractor!
Also, if you make it deeper than you need now, you will have room for your tow dolly, and be able to hook it up before pulling it out, very nice if it is snowing or raining when getting ready to leave! Also, the closer to the house, for all the trips, when packing it!
And the most important thing? You have to be able to see it from your kitchen window! Hahahahaha!
Just some food for thought!
OHHHHH, all most forgot?
The coffee is tasting so good today!! Hehehehe!!! Rail!
Old 02-12-2015, 04:15 AM   #582

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning All, Lynne lots of very good advise there, just need to fish thru and pick what works for your location, or we can have a good ole fashion barn raising where we all get together to put it up . Have a great day all.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:24 AM   #583

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well my ears perked up, someone mentioned FOOD! Closer reading it said food for thought so I'll just throw in my 2¢. I fully enclosed my building and only have large door and a walk through. When everything's is closed up a passerby will never know if we are home or gone. I live out in the country and am always cautious about being watched by the deadbeats of this world!

Good morning!
Old 02-12-2015, 07:16 AM   #584
bap

goodmorning folks,,,coffee good this am./// lynne you have gotton alot of great info from not purchasing the mh,,as far as size of parking area if you think its big enough go a little bigger you wrong with that,,,,you cant go to big but you can go to small.

this past summer i redone a 40 x 50 shed to park our little tt,s in,,,just enough room in there to hold the 3 we have now but,,,,,came in last night and the dw told me she just bought 2 more,,,,yup 2 more,,,that,s 5 we own now,,,,,,,,my spring and summer just got planned....lol..

as far as the rental,,,,wow that to me is more than i would or want to give to rent one,,,,,i still say you could buy something cheaper than that then resell it when your ready to get the one you want,,,that way you have one of your own even if its not exactly what you want and you would be able to use it any chance you had...
just my thoughts ...because i know you want to use it at the very least once a year untill you retire,,,but this way on your long weekends you and the dh may wake up and say ...hey lets go there for a couple days and ya just hook an go...

funny as i typed this i got a phone call and just bought another 66 tt,,,lol ---i need to build another shed....lol....3 in less than 24hrs,,,,makes our total of 6 tt,s...
i may have 1 for sale if anyone is interested,,,,,the landcamandor,,, is ready....lol

everyone have a safe day...
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:22 AM   #585

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Morning
Coffee is great this morning. Sun Shining, -3 feels like-21 so says the Weatherperson. Going up North for a over-niter.
Roads are Dry Can't wait what a adventure.
No Toad either
Have A Great Day Peoples,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #586

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post

as far as the rental,,,,wow that to me is more than i would or want to give to rent one,,,,,i still say you could buy something cheaper than that then resell it when your ready to get the one you want,,,that way you have one of your own even if its not exactly what you want and you would be able to use it any chance you had...
just my thoughts ...because i know you want to use it at the very least once a year untill you retire,,,but this way on your long weekends you and the dh may wake up and say ...hey lets go there for a couple days and ya just hook an go...
IMO this is the best advice. Rental tends to get expensive. Also risky. Make sure you do a thoroug inspection before and after. Lots of pictures. Rental cars say if the damage is not noted at time of rental it is yours.

We built our shed 36 X 72 and it is not big enough. Once the kids found out it got full really quick. Not that we mind but if it is there you will use it.

If you are planning to sell the S&B adding specialty buildings can be an issue if they are not quite what the buyer wants. IMO you must build as big as your dreams are. Or have the ability to add additions very easily.

We put a 14' door thinking it was tall enough. Knowing the max limit on highways is 13 1/2 should make it safe. Our stacker is 13 1/2' so when we get back in the spring we will see if it will go in. Should but I will be very careful and check often when backing it in.

As stated gravel is likely the better option than concrete if you are going to sell. Do you put in a plain slab or include heat pipes and a drain? What will make the purchaser decide that this is exactly what he wants as an outbuilding? If I put concrete in our shed there will be a drain and the pipes for infloor heating.

Concrete is nicer than gravel as gravel will track into your unit. I throw a couple pallets by the door with a rug to leave our shoes.

Obviously there is no easy answer, especially for us as we are only guessing what a lot of the circumstances are.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #587

Well Late good morning to all!
The wife is sick, (Head Cold) so I spent last night in the MH.
I installed a flat screen Digital TV in the bedroom so I consider it a test.

Worked well. And I always sleep well on the bed of my Big Girl! (MH not the wife!) Wifey is a little thing!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2015, 10:02 AM   #588

Winnebago Owners Club
BAP - you are buying yourself a job(s). LOL

I think you will have an easy time to sell some of your creations if you decide to do so. There are a number of folks and travel clubs who like the older units. Yours rehabs are prime.